This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1906 - Earthquake at DCA Attraction?

Hey did you guys hear about a Disney-Pixar and Warner Bros. co-production coming out called 1906 ? It's a feature film about the big San Francisco earthquake, directed by Brad Bird (of Ratatouille, Incredibles, Iron Giant, Simpsons fame).

Maybe those of you who wanted an EARTHQUAKE themed attraction at DCA will get something based on this new movie property. Iger talked about having attractions based on movies open with the movies in the future. Then they greenlight this California based and themed adventure movie. Hmmmm....

I hear this might be a live-action project. Anyone else have more information than IMDB:

1906 (2009)

Director: Brad Bird
    Release Date: 2009 (USA)

Plot Keywords:

Earthquake / San Francisco / San Francisco Earthquake 1906 / Number In Title

Re: 1906 - Earthquake at DCA Attraction?

I don't think I would like Disney to do an earthquake attraction. Universal already has one and for Disney to do one IMO would be admitting that they have to copy Universal in order to keep up.

Not only that but I don't think Disney wants their guests especially from out of state to be reminded that they are in a seismically active area more or less likely to have an actual earthquake itself.

Comment

Personally I would rather not have a movie about one of the most horrific natural disasters in the history of our Nation. About the only thing in DCA I would like to see is the fountain, and possibly a plaque explaining what it is a replica of and why it is so important.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Hey! at east nobody's around from that time any more to say that it's in bad taste! jk-bad joke

Comment

Dang it.

I was writing a remake of Earthquake as well for IMAX.

Actually, I'm serious. I thought it would be cool on the big screen with that great sound system.

I should be selling these ideas! WHere did I go wrong!

I also thought it might be time for a Birds remake...oh wait.

Poopieheadnoses.

Peace?
          Roo
          husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
            Actually, I'm serious. I thought it would be cool on the big screen with that great sound system.
            Ha! Are you referring to Sensurround? OMG -- there is a term I never thought I would think about again. I remember Earthquake being released with a soundtrack on a system call Sensurround where it was really loud and made the theatre seats vibrate or something like that. It's been a long time.

OK sorry to veer somewhat off topic...

Comment

Originally posted by pianoman13 View Post
              Hey! at east nobody's around from that time any more to say that it's in bad taste! jk-bad joke
              LOL, I take it you're refering to the post I made in another thread. Personally I wouldn't find anything in bad taste or get offended by it, but you know that there's people out there that would be all, "My :insert family member/friend here: died during the :insert earthquake event here:! I can't believe Disney would try and get money out of my loved ones demise!" People astound me daily.

It's just like when 9/11 happened. TV stations and commercials took out any occurance of the Twin Towers, certain songs started to get temporarily taken off the air due to their title and/or lyrics (ex. Savage Garden: Crash And Burn), etc.

...Joe...

Comment

There was literally just an earthquake in turlock. Right now. I'm not even joking. I'm in a third floor apartment and now i'm really really scared. Attraction not cool.
                Siggy siggy sig sig.

Comment

Yeah, who needs to pay for an earthquake effect!

We get them for free!

Like the 5.6 that just hit!

Comment

lucky norcal getting the fun 5.6's

Comment

True. Disneyland lies less than a couple miles from at least one fault able to generate an earthquake with a minimum 7.0 on the Richter Scale.

Now the phones at Disneyland are jammed with people cancelling their vacations -- I guess this is one way to clear out the parks!

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMickey View Post
                        Yeah, who needs to pay for an earthquake effect!

We get them for free!
                        Once again we see the "fault" of building a theme park about California in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
                          Once again we see the "fault" of building a theme park about California in California.
                          O_o
                          Siggy siggy sig sig.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoman13 View Post
                            You may have wanted to do a slight amount of research prior to posting that statement. While they may or may not remember it clearly... there are still a couple around

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AG52PBENK1.DTL

As I said out of respect I would love to see an exact replica of Lotta's Fountain with a plaque explaining what it is and why it is important to both the history of the State, and the history of San Fran.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
                              LOL, I take it you're refering to the post I made in another thread. Personally I wouldn't find anything in bad taste or get offended by it, but you know that there's people out there that would be all, "My :insert family member/friend here: died during the :insert earthquake event here:! I can't believe Disney would try and get money out of my loved ones demise!" People astound me daily.

It's just like when 9/11 happened. TV stations and commercials took out any occurance of the Twin Towers, certain songs started to get temporarily taken off the air due to their title and/or lyrics (ex. Savage Garden: Crash And Burn), etc.

...Joe...
                              rrgg! you discovered my secret!lol, but yeah I wouldn't be offended either but just in case mabye Disney should never do this...just to be safe. ok im very un educated but didn't Gospel music use to be considered "evil" or just bad because people thaught they were making money off of God? Like I said i'm not knolegable(sp) in that subject.:shy:

Comment

Has anyone seen TITANIC?

Comment

^

Speaking of which, I used to work at a small mini golf/family fun park where they had an inflatible Titanic slide - kids would climb up and then slide down the tilted Titanic into a bumper that looked like a wave. It wasn't just some random sinking ship - it actually said "H.M.S. Titanic - Liverpool" on the back of it.

I used to joke - "coming soon - The Hindenberg Bounce House."

It just goes to show nobody knows what the future holds - who, floating in that freezing water after the shipwreck, thought "one day this will inspire a fun slide for children!"

I think in a book, movie or play you can address the more "serious" aspects of a disaster more easily than you can in a theme park attraction (though it wouldn't be impossible to do a more "dramatic" attraction).
                                  "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                                  Disney sequel):
                                  Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                                  Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                                  Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                                  Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                                  Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Universal called, they want their plans back for the EarthQuake ride.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                      I don't think I would like Disney to do an earthquake attraction. Universal already has one and for Disney to do one IMO would be admitting that they have to copy Universal in order to keep up.

Exactly! We're trying to provoke originality... Movie tie ins to rides are bad enough... I cannot imagine a copycat movie tie in! The tram ride at Universal is enough!
                                      :smart: :music: :vogue: :razz: :wave:

Comment

Someone had previously posted a concept for a coaster, basically a runaway trolley car tossed loose by an earthquake. Sounded interesting and possible... I don't think anyone was thinking about the whole tram show at Universal.

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X