This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Missing "Wienie"

During the first four decades of its existence, Disneyland was approached from the South by guests arriving in the parking area while Main Street Station provided the all-important focal point for the "establishment shot" here since the depot beckoned guests to walk towards it.

With the 2001 expansion, Disneyland lost one of its most important "wienies" since guests now approach the Main Entry Plaza from the eastern and western sides. So, does anyone have any thoughts about how the focal point Main Street Station once was might be replaced?

Re: The Missing "Wienie"

I thought this thread was about hotdogs.
    Foolish Mortal
    sigpic

Comment

According to the general manager of DTD, there are several Wienies inside the DTD area to keep guest moving through the area from zone to zone. It still just doesn't feel as magical as it used to though.

Comment

I Thought thats what the security gate's were for, once you hit them you know you are there

Actually for me its the C A L I F O R N I A letters in front of DCA. The DL main entrance is jumbled up with the monorail and entry gates and its hard to see past all that, youa re right, Main street station isnt the visual it used to be because we enter the espalande from the side too close to the gates.

Perhaps a focal point in the middle of the espalande, not a fountain probably but something cool.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Originally posted by MollyTrolly View Post
          I Thought thats what the security gate's were for, once you hit them you know you are there

Actually for me its the C A L I F O R N I A letters in front of DCA. The DL main entrance is jumbled up with the monorail and entry gates and its hard to see past all that, youa re right, Main street station isnt the visual it used to be because we enter the espalande from the side too close to the gates.

Perhaps a focal point in the middle of the espalande, not a fountain probably but something cool.
          Piazzas, traditionally, have "walls" on four sides, so I've always thought that the ticket booths form fairly weak and uninteresting walls, if you will, on the eastern and western sides.

To my way of thinking, the two entrances into the piazza need to be defined better.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
            Piazzas, traditionally, have "walls" on four sides, so I've always thought that the ticket booths form fairly weak and uninteresting walls, if you will, on the eastern and western sides.

To my way of thinking, the two entrances into the piazza need to be defined better.
            Prag, please don't do this again...

This is the first time I have heard this area referred to as a piazza. Piazzas are found in Italy. If anything call it by the local vernacular which would be plaza, or by that used by the local community, the esplanade.

Comment

Its spelled "weenie".

Weenie

Comment

Didn't Al recently claim that there are plans to build a large sorceror mickey hat in the area to serve as this very purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
                  Didn't Al recently claim that there are plans to build a large sorceror mickey hat in the area to serve as this very purpose?
                  It was dream ears.

Comment

Missed that, really? Ugh, not a big fan of that at MGM. I for one like the fountain idea being talked about in another threa. The concept art is spectacular, and it would draw you into the center. Then from there you can see the Main Street Depot in front of you and the new entrance to DCA.
                    Other than that, I was thinking like some area with several statues of famous characters, both old and new, arranged either around the plaza or fountain. Give people a chance to wander and see their favorites, and at night light them up so you can loiter for a few and take a picture of Pluto lit up. In fact, I suppose you could have Mickey and Walt be represented just in the parks at the two hubs, but have different statues going towards each park.
                    For example, you could have Merlin, Aladdin, Pluto, Chip, Eeyore, Luxo Jr., Woody, Ichabod, three little pigs, etc. arranged going towards each direction. Could visually show that all of these creations and stories live here, but once you get inside you get the visual reinforcement that it all started and ends with the man and the mouse.
                    "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

::hopes kcnole was kidding::

Comment

Originally posted by SparkyLD View Post
                        Its spelled "weenie".

Weenie
                        Thank you for explaining. I hate esoteric references.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeek View Post
                          According to the general manager of DTD, there are several Wienies inside the DTD area to keep guest moving through the area from zone to zone. It still just doesn't feel as magical as it used to though.
                          Yes, one of the few parts of Downtown Disney that I really do like is the outdoor Art Nouveau wine bar with the bowers resembling Champagne flutes.

It's interesting that you should mention Downtown Disney because I've had the idea that, to reach the Main Entry Plaza, guests should pass through a series of gates, each anticipating the next. And, the final gate could be the one that defines the entrance to the piazza, itself.

I use the term, "piazza", because the design is inspired by many of the grand urban spaces in Europe. In fact, the scale of the Main Entry Plaza was determined by St. Mark's Square; the two are exactly the same size.
                          Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                            ::hopes kcnole was kidding::
                            Actually I think that sounds right.

....runs off to Miceage to try to find it...

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Considering the vast magnitude of size within the resort it would prove a bit more difficult to make Weenies that people can be entranced by. Its possible but it just isnt easy, the resort itself is already filled with weenies that still prove effective to me anyways...
                              You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

Why not just place a giant weenie at the center of the Esplanade? It could be sponsored by Oscar Mayer or Hebrew National. That way everyone would know it was a weenie and wouldn't need to be told what it was by those special people that have a copy of the "Walt Disney Subliminal Guest Manipulation, Design, and Definition Manual."

Or think they do.

But if that's too phallic an idea for some...why not have a giant dollar bill with wings on it taking off into the sky? That would serve a dual purpose of drawing them in and subconsciously prepping them for what lie ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                                  Why not just place a giant weenie at the center of the Esplanade? It could be sponsored by Oscar Mayer or Hebrew National. That way everyone would know it was a weenie and wouldn't need to be told what it was by those special people that have a copy of the "Walt Disney Subliminal Guest Manipulation, Design, and Definition Manual."

Or think they do.

But if that's too phallic an idea for some...why not have a giant dollar bill with wings on it taking off into the sky? That would serve a dual purpose of drawing them in and subconsciously prepping them for what lie ahead.

Or they can sell weenies from them and charge $7 - $8 in typical Disney fashion!

Comment

but tell us how you really feel....
                                    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

A captive balloon in the Main Entry Plaza might be a really amazing attraction that also serves as a wienie. I'd love to be able to get an overview of the the resort from this vantage point, but I'm not quite sure I know how well such a thing would work with all the different parts of Disneyland.

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disn...panoramagique/
                                      Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-01-2007, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                        A captive balloon in the Main Entry Plaza might be a really amazing attraction that also serves as a wienie. I'd love to be able to get an overview of the the resort from this vantage point, but I'm not quite sure I know how well such a thing would work with all the different parts of Disneyland.

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disn...panoramagique/
                                        I like that. Ever since first seeing the original drawing of Disneyland by Herb Ryman I've wanted to ride that big balloon he added in there.
                                        Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X