Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Plussing" the parking structure, making a great first impression.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Plussing" the parking structure, making a great first impression.

Just take a look at Tokyo Disneyland's new parking structure. That would be a welcome change to what Disneyland has now.

But truth be told anything that nice here would get trashed just like the current structure.

Comment

The one thing I would like to see changed, is the toll booth open arrows move to the out side of the building. The ones that are pointing too "this lane is open". Having them ten feet in front of the toll booth is a little late.
      Originally posted by lazyboy97O
      How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
      Originally posted by steamboatpete
      Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Comment

I would like to see a HUGE "Welcome To Disneyland" sign
        in the style of the most recent one that was at the the
        entrance to the old parking lot, BEFORE DCA began
        construction, at the tram pick up point by the garage.

AND then Disneyland signs exactly like the most recent
        one, at both security check points on either side of the
        Esplanade! DL has been missing that type of Welcome
        for WAY TOO MANY years!
        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

CAspace - Thank you. I will get back to you with ideas - this is a fun question that has many possibilities and I think it would be fun if others participated also!

BC_DisneyGeek: "Look at it this way, the more plain the parking garage is, the more magical Disneyland seems when you get there."

I have a different perspective to this. Disneyland is supposed to be all-encompassing. For many on micechat it is a day trip because of proximity and so having the entire resort "magical" is not important, but to many others seeing the street names "Magic Way" and a unique parking structure adds to the excitement. We are always saying that the details make Disneyland the park we love, so why stop there? Why not add the details elsewhere?

Comment

The parking garage is well-lit, airy, and safe. That's what a parking garage is, and this one does it extremely well.

I'm happy with it as is, although I would, too, like to see the outside spruced up a bit. Maybe silhouettes of Disney characters on the walls, a la Pop Century at WDW?

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
            HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
            ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
            FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

Re: &quot;Plussing&quot; the parking structure, making a great first impression.

I think it'd be better if they could paint some of the Characters on the walls of there levels

check me out on Flickr
              www.flickr.com/photos/xsorsburn

Comment

Re: &quot;Plussing&quot; the parking structure, making a great first impression.

Originally posted by Ranger Rick View Post
                The one thing I would like to see changed, is the toll booth open arrows move to the out side of the building. The ones that are pointing too "this lane is open". Having them ten feet in front of the toll booth is a little late.
                You're right. That design flaw is one of the worst in the entire structure.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post
                  Just take a look at Tokyo Disneyland's new parking structure. That would be a welcome change to what Disneyland has now.

But truth be told anything that nice here would get trashed just like the current structure.
                  Do you have any pictures of the Tokyo Dland structure? I am very interested to see what they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger Rick View Post
                    That is my only sore point with the parking structure. The placement of the open lane sign really does need to be moved up a bit farther.

Other than that I really don't think that the parking structure needs any other plussing, it serves it purpose - it's a parking lot ... not an attraction. The old parking lot didn't have any "plussing" as most are wanting in this thread - so why this one? Sure, the old parking lot was right in front of Disneyland ... but you can also see DCA from the escalators.

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                      That is my only sore point with the parking structure. The placement of the open lane sign really does need to be moved up a bit farther.

Other than that I really don't think that the parking structure needs any other plussing, it serves it purpose - it's a parking lot ... not an attraction. The old parking lot didn't have any "plussing" as most are wanting in this thread - so why this one? Sure, the old parking lot was right in front of Disneyland ... but you can also see DCA from the escalators.
                      Problem is at this point seeing the Maliboomer from the escalators just does not have the same impact as walking towards main street station watching the steam train leaving for its circle tour with the Matterhorn in the distance did in the older days!
                      As for plussing the old parking lot, true that was not needed since you had the impact of the show being right in front of you. Where now it takes a good 20+ minutes on a normal weekend day before you even see Disneyland at all! Get off the freeway, get stuck in line waiting to pay parking, wait in line trying to park, park, wait in line for a elevator or escalator, wait in line for a tram, Wait in line to get through "security", you now finally get to see the entryway to the park. Now during this whole ordeal there was no real Disneyfeeling, there was nothing really building the excitement of the show, this was Act 1 in my opinion.
                      Where was the low level disneymusic? The murals, the characters, something, anything to transform the dull parking experience into a fun yeah were going down these escalators and are getting nearer to Disneyland!
                      Now for us frequent flyers we have created this imagery and associations into our mind, we know as we get on those trams we are closer to our dear DL. But to the majority of folks who do not go once a week or more, Disney has blown the first act with them in my opinion. Its not that I want anyone to think about rebuilding the whole structure (since that would be a super pie in the sky idea) I am thinking about what we can do with limited resources to spruce things up a bit, to help carry the magic into the 1st act, so when you enter that structure you start to "feel the magic" the show began, your excited your pumped, it carries you all the way to the entry way.

Little things like, murals, music, characters, pictures, popcorn smells, anything!
                      Once you get on the tram the sides of the roads are aligned with attraction banners (as we discussed a few years back and some amazing Mchatter even created a digital mock up! They looked fantastic. This all helps carry the show, there are at least 25+ minutes there that are being wasted now with no magic or really any showmanship, it does not have to be this way.

Comment

The first thing that needs to change is the phrase, "parking structure", itself.

The old Disney would have used a more dignified term that has fewer negative connotations. Personally, I like "parking terrace" since it suggests something less urban and more garden-like.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                          The first thing that needs to change is the phrase, "parking structure", itself.

The old Disney would have used a more dignified term that has fewer negative connotations. Personally, I like "parking terrace" since it suggests something less urban and more garden-like.
                          Back in the day, the parking lot was referred to as a parking lot.

No need to rename the parking structure. And if so "parking terrace" is not a very good alternative, since Disney has traditionally used the term "terrace" to describe many of its eating establishments.

Comment

has anyone read this article yet?
                            http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/...part-2_22.html

Talks about this issue with pictures. I am interested in hearing your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                              Back in the day, the parking lot was referred to as a parking lot.
                              So? "Back in the day" a lot of things were different. Doesn't mean they haven't been changed and improved.

And I read the article. I think the pictures help show what is being discussed and could be changed, although I disagree with the author regarding the "lack of order". First he criticizes the easy, orderly way of being shown a parking space (which I think is a great idea by the way), but then contradicts himself by wishing there were cast members at all lines to show you where to go....

Comment

does anyone have any pictures of the Tokyo Dland parking structure? I am very interested to see what they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by angeladlr View Post
                                  So? "Back in the day" a lot of things were different. Doesn't mean they haven't been changed and improved.
                                  A lot of things have changed. Whether or not they have been improved is a matter of debate -- hence probably 75% of Micechat...

Comment

Wow! Let's called it the Wonderful Parking Mansion kissed by God! In the mean time this log of spam is really Honey-Baked ham. Bon-Apetite!

Comment

One of the aspects of the old parking grounds that I am surprised wasn't used in the parking terrace is the famous mnemonic device of the character name that corresponds to an alphabetic letter.

Currently, a guest is given the choice of remembering a character, a color, or a number, and, then, the guest has to remember an alphabetic letter and a number that respectively correspond to a row and an aisle. The system is far too complicated.

I prefer that each level be defined by a color only. Then, the parking areas could be defined by character names, so the "A" section of the Blue level might be "Ariel" while the "A" section on the Red level could be "Aladdin". That configuration approximates the older and more effective system better. A guest parking in "Aladdin" in this scenario would learn of the character name, and its relationship to the letter "A", first, and, then, he or she would learn of the color that identifies the level. If, when returning to his or her vehicle, he or she forgets the color, he or she can consult a directory with the character names in order to find the level that way.

Comment

I do like the idea of more obscure characters being selected for each level. I have a feeling it easy for people who aren't used to the structure to say "now was it donald or daisy, or Mickey or minnie"

The sheer excitement of being there could make it tough to remember and getting lost in that parking structure is pure hell.

Comment

Would it be a safety issue to "plus" the parking lot? When you're parking in a busy lot (and I assume this one is very busy) you need to watching for other cars, pedestrians, etc. Is it a good idea to distract drivers with pretty murals etc? Is this a concern, or would the "plusses" be kept out of the driving areas?
                                          My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X