Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's 2016 Disneyland Egg-stravaganza Easter Egg Hunt

It's nearing Easter and once again Disney is having an Egg-stravaganza! From what I remember, it's been going on here at Disneyland since 2013, when it was part of the Limited Time Magic celebration, though it's been going on at Tokyo Disneyland since 2010.
    Back on February 12th, the official DisneyParks Blog announced that the Egg-stravaganza would include Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, and all new this year, Downtown Disney! The Egg-stravaganza will run from March 2nd - March 27th 2016, or until they run out of maps.

Knowing that in the past, they've run out of maps (so sad we missed it in 2014), and also wanting to do it during a less busy period, Theresa and I both took off work, grabbed the kids, and headed to Disneyland!

And since it's always more fun to do it with friends, we asked Jacob if he wanted to join us. Of course! Great to have friends that will take off with little notice and go have fun.

Not knowing how many we'd be able to get done today, I chose to start in Downtown Disney. You can purchase maps all over Downtown Disney, but I picked the Fantasia Gift Shop in the Disneyland Hotel, both because it's really close to the Mickey and Friends parking structure, and because it's on one of the ends of Downtown Disney. If we're good, we can knock these all out at once with no backtracking.

Like everything around here, the cost of the map has gone up slightly since this event started. From 2013-2015, they were $4.95. This year, maps cost $5.95.

With map in one hand, and stickers in the other, it was time to start hunting eggs! Let's go!

SPOILERS AHEAD!
    If you don't want to know where these eggs are hiding, stop reading here!

Downtown Disney is fairly linear, without a lot a twists and turns. According to our map, the Earl of Sandwich shop seems to be the closest to us. Let's head there.

Sure enough, right beside the sign, there's Thumper.

Ian, where's the egg?
    Jacob had arrived a little before us, and grabbed a bag of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. Whoever found the egg got to get a Jelly Belly!

AMC Theaters was also close by, and sure enough, there's Woody on the roof by the sign.

This must be the Westside Stage. And there's Pluto.

And on top of ESPN Zone, there's Mickey. I wonder if there's any rhyme or reason why the characters were chosen for each location. So far it appears pretty random.

Hanging out over the Disney Vacation Club is Donald. In this one little area, Theresa was able to stand in one spot and see 4 eggs simultaneously. Do a better job hiding them!

At D Street, there was no egg on top of the sign like there has been at the previous locations. Looking in the display windows yielded nothing either. I was considering stepping inside, but happened to notice Goofy behind the glass, but still right beside the D Street sign.

Across the path at Wetzel's Pretzels, there's Jessie watching over every who comes inside.
    Visit my blog at http://flowerstales.blogspot.com/

I stayed overnight in the Disneyland Dream Suite! Read all about it here!
    Joe's Epic Overnight Disneyland Dream Suite Trip Report

Marceline's Confectionary (inside) was next. Nice of the map to tell us it's inside, so we're not looking all over outside. I wonder though it having it inside is a good thing or not. It's not that crowded now in the morning, but during the busy afternoons on the weekends, I'd bet it's going to be a little more hectic in here. Sitting behind the counter among the sweets is Daisy.

Onward to Anna & Elsa's Boutique. Peeking out from the bottom of the window, it's Minnie.

Jacob, can you hold Alli while I take a picture of the egg? Alli seemed pretty happy with her Uncle Jacob.

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa (Brisa Courtyard) was next. Here we found the White Rabbit right next to the track the monorail speeds down, going through the hotel.

Here's the sticker mommy.

Once the kids decided they didn't want to wear the hats, the adults chose to wear them instead.

Only a couple eggs left!
    Next was the very vague World of Disney (inside). The inside of this store is pretty huge. The five of us entered the door, and I started to walk further inside when Jacob called me back. Ah, looking down on us as we entered was Chip.

Just one egg remaining so we know who it is, but we've still got to go there. The map told us to go to the Information Booth (Near Disneyland Park Gates). It's rare for me to ever see this booth open, and sure enough, it was closed this time too.

But who is that perched on top? It's Dale!

Our map is complete! The map says to redeem it for a prize back at the World of Disney, but being so close to the parks, we pressed onward to the next Egg-stravaganza hunt. Off to Disneyland!

I liked that they added Downtown Disney to the egg hunt this year. I'm happy we did it early and during a non-crowded time of day. There were certainly a few people out and about looking for eggs, but not so many that they formed a crowd around where the eggs were hidden. Most of these eggs were out in fairly plain sight, so that probably helped.

Comment

Continuing our search of Easter Eggs during the 2016 Disneyland Egg-stravaganza, having just completed our search of Downtown Disney, Jacob, Theresa, Ian, Alli and I made our way into Disneyland. Here's the prizes for this year, but more on that later.

I grabbed a map at the Disneyana store as soon as we entered the park.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

First stop is the 20th Century Music Company (inside). Well there's a problem I haven't encountered yet before. This double stroller is too wide to get into a lot of these shop doors.

Peeking my head in, I can see Mickey is right above the register.

And then leaving the stroller with Jacob, I continued inside for a better picture. I have a feeling this little shop is going to be very busy during the next few weeks with people coming in to look for this egg.

Next up was the Flower Market, midway down Main Street. Here's Thumper! I suppose since he's friends with Flower the skunk, this is an appropriate spot for him.

Ian's looking in the window for the next egg at the China Closet (inside). Again the stroller was too wide to fit in the doors, so Jacob and I took turns going inside to look.

Above the coffee mugs, we found Minnie.

Ian decided he needed a jelly bean for finding Minnie.

Back in the Tomorrowland Terrace, amongst the edible foliage, Goofy was lurking beneath a tree.

While over at King Arthur's Carrousel, I see Tinker Bell hiding in the flowers.

Mr Toad, what are you doing by Pinocchio's Daring Journey? Get back on your side.

Looking over where to go next.

"I've got a great idea." Ian says, holding his finger up. Since it's so close and there's not much of a line, he wanted to ride the carrousel.

I tell you one thing. This hunt is helping me learn the names of stores I wouldn't otherwise know. Here at Bonanza Outfitters (inside) we see Dale looking down from above.

And on the other side of the building at the Stage Door Cafe, we find Chip.

Off to Critter Country where the White Rabbit is looking over Pooh Corner. What's that White Rabbit? Come in and buy a treat? It worked on us, because T got a caramel apple and the rest of us got drinks.

Back towards the entrance through New Orleans Square, sitting above the balcony of Mlle. Antoinette's Parfumerie is Daisy.

And working our way through Adventureland, by Bengal Barbecue is Donald.

Beside the Jungle Cruise, Pluto is watching people pass by.

Our map complete, it's time to go redeem it for a prize! One of the things I'm happy with today was that so far, all the eggs have been hidden in different locations than previous years. It would have been easy to just do everything like last year, so I'm happy they took the additional effort to mix things up.

Back to the beginning on Main Street.

Off in a corner all by itself are a couple tables for purchasing and redeeming maps.

When you buy the map, they stamp it to indicate it was paid for. When you redeem it, they stamp it again, so you can't use it over and over again.

Different than years past (or maybe just because it's the beginning of the event and they have all the different eggs), they let us pick which character we wanted. And not only that, but we were able to redeem our Downtown Disney map here too.
      Pick your favorite buddy!

Some pretty cute eggs this year. Ian picked a Mickey and a Minnie for him and his sister.
      I asked and these same 6 eggs are the prizes for all 3 quests.

Only one park to go! California Adventure, here we come!

Comment

As part of the 2016 Disneyland Egg-stravaganza, we've spent our day finding easter eggs in Downtown Disney and Disneyland. Only one other place remaining, and that's Disney California Adventure.

Oswald's is as good a place as any to pick up a map as soon as you enter the park.

Once again we have 12 eggs that need to be found.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

As soon as you step out of Oswald's, the Chamber of Commerce is right behind it. Hi Donald.

And Lockers (Buena Vista Street) was also close by. Greetings Daisy.

Having fun?

At the Hollywood Land (Truck), Minnie is peeking out from the passenger's side.

Hollywood Land has a water tower? Sure enough, the Hollywood Land (Water Tower) has an egg way off in the distance.

Quite the climb Mickey.

The map says "Condor Flats (Station Wagon)", but as Jacob pointed out, Condor Flats is what this area of the park used to be called. Back in January of 2015, this whole section of the park was closed down and reopened in May 2015 as the Grizzly Peak Airfield. Perhaps whoever made the map didn't get the memo.
        Peaking out the back window, among the luggage, it's Goofy!

This next section was only one of two that gave us some difficulty. The map lists Grizzly River Run (Artist Camp) and Grizzly Peak Park Service Ranger Truck. The path that takes you behind the ride to where the truck is, was closed, so the egg must be somewhere else.

Looking around the Fast Pass area, Jacob found Chip.

I don't remember seeing any signs for something called Grizzly River Run (Artist Camp) either. And the first couple times we walked by this section, there was a line to meet characters, so we didn't get too close to the fence. Eventually though we were able to locate Dale.

Toy Story Midway Mania! was the next stop to visit. I could see from all the way across the water that Pluto was on top of the sign, but why not get a little exercise and walk to the entrance anyhow. There I confirmed it was Pluto.

Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill had a surprise in the rafters. Is Rabbit on the menu? No, just Thumper.

Into Cars Land, at Fillmore's Taste-In, Mater is at the bottom of this decoration.

Right across from Fillmore's place is Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. It was here we were supposed to find another egg, but despite multiple trips up and down the street, no egg was found. Hmm. Best continue on.

"A Bugs Land" (Entrance) was next. Here's the one egg I didn't get a wide shot of before zooming in to the egg. The White Rabbit was hiding in the brush underneath the windmill that holds Princess Dot.

And here's the reason I missed the wide angle shot. Looking back towards Mater's, I see Lightning McQueen hanging out on the roof of that shed. I was so excited to find him, I completely forgot to take the other shot. I don't know that you'd even be able to see Lightning from the entrance to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. He's much easier to see from the Bugs Land side.

Our map is complete!

Inside Elias & Co. was the redemption center for the maps. Cast members were very busy selling maps and handing out prizes. They were even asking if you'd like to go ahead and redeem your prize when you first bought the map! Saves you a wait in the line I guess, but I'd guess the satisfaction of the prize isn't as sweet if you didn't earn it.

Ian was happy to have some new toys to play with.

Alli looks to be wondering what's on Ian's head. Think she knows she's got bunny ears on too?

She's a happy girl.

Our mission complete, it was time to head back to the car. Thanks for joining us today Jacob! We had a lot of fun!

And here's what the eggs look like. They're your standard hollow plastic easter egg, though they have triangular ridges that hold the egg together compared to the standard lip you normally find.

Comment

I saw the Downtown Disney post but skip the Disneyland one cause I want to try and fine them tomorrow so I speed all the way down to the end here. I wouldn't know who I would want of the egg it be to hard. All I know I will not pick Stitch send I don't like him. The egg I got last year was Thumper. I which they hide them so you know what you get. To me it is more of a change to figure what you get.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun for everyone. It's amazing how big the kids are getting. And Allie's smile is amazing.
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Added to my ever-growing Disneyland bucket list!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
              KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Sounds like another fun day for the flower family! Thanks for sharing with us!
                [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Comment

I knew about the hunt but I never saw any eggs while we were in the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Hook View Post
                    I saw the Downtown Disney post but skip the Disneyland one cause I want to try and fine them tomorrow so I speed all the way down to the end here. I wouldn't know who I would want of the egg it be to hard. All I know I will not pick Stitch send I don't like him. The egg I got last year was Thumper. I which they hide them so you know what you get. To me it is more of a change to figure what you get.
                    Have a fun time Capt Hook. Let me know how it went!

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                    Looks like a lot of fun for everyone. It's amazing how big the kids are getting. And Allie's smile is amazing.
                    You're telling me! Alli is catching up to her brother quick!
                    She does smile with her whole face, which is really cute!

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
                    Added to my ever-growing Disneyland bucket list!
                    If only you were coming out before Dapper Day, we could have planned something together...

Originally posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
                    Sounds like another fun day for the flower family! Thanks for sharing with us!
                    Indeed! You're welcome!

Originally posted by smartlabelprint View Post
                    I knew about the hunt but I never saw any eggs while we were in the parks.
                    Did you see people with maps? They were everywhere when we went, and it was during the week!

Comment

We were there during the week & I didn't pay attention! I saw no maps, no desk you have a picture of...! 2 kids has killed my DL trips. We're coming again at the end of the year though. In 4 days I even missed California screamin'.

Comment

Adorable as always!
                        Disneyland Blog Posts: http://findingmyinnerbombshell.com/tag/disneyland/

Comment

Looks like you had a blast! I went on the first day of the hunts so I got to avoid all spoilers. Both parks were easier hunts than in past years, but I guess it's also because the clues were pretty specific. However, I did the Downtown Disney hunt at night and it was near impossible. It took my friend and I a solid 5 minutes to find the White Rabbit as the courtyard has very dim and low lighting. Can't wait to do them again next year though!
                          The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvidTurtleTalker View Post
                            Looks like you had a blast! I went on the first day of the hunts so I got to avoid all spoilers. Both parks were easier hunts than in past years, but I guess it's also because the clues were pretty specific. However, I did the Downtown Disney hunt at night and it was near impossible. It took my friend and I a solid 5 minutes to find the White Rabbit as the courtyard has very dim and low lighting. Can't wait to do them again next year though!
                            I hadn't even thought about that. I guess it would be a very different hunt at night.

Comment

Originally posted by mre200200 View Post
                              If only you were coming out before Dapper Day, we could have planned something together...
                              Of course the one day I was there was the day before the hunts started! And you never know... I manage to sneak a day or two in here and there haha

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
                              KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Well I did it yesturday at Disneyland side I found all of them but Daisy I couldn't fine her and like you said mre200200 some of these names I never hear of like the one where Dale was at I never knew the name of the place as well as Minnie. The price I pick with my eyes close was Minnie. I'm going to do DCA side this Sunday so I didn't look at your photos for there. What was so funny I was on DCA side as well and before I when in to see Elsa & Anna I kind of did was try to cheat a little bit but I couldn't fine any of them. So hope I can fine them all this Sunday over at DCA.

Comment

Well only 3 more days and I will try out DCA and there egg hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Hook View Post
                                    Well only 3 more days and I will try out DCA and there egg hunt.
                                    Good luck Capt! There's a couple there that I found tricky. We'll see if you can find them easier than I did.

Comment

Thanks I will need it.

Comment

Originally posted by mre200200 View Post

Good luck Capt! There's a couple there that I found tricky. We'll see if you can find them easier than I did.

Well I did it yesturday I got all of them. I did had trouble fining Goofy & Dale but thanks to my friend Princess Aurora she told me where to fine them. The funny thing is with Goofy I was right next to him the first time that I was by the car and didn't see him. This is my Aurora who help me fine them.

Also I got Jessie of the eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X