Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland Underground

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disneyland Underground

    I'm really curious. In the future, could Management put some backstage facilities underground? Could Imagineering build down, instead of up-and-out?

  • #2
    How do we not know if they aren't building star wars land on top of new facilities underground to save space.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've wondered this myself when thinking about redoing large areas (StarWars Land, potentially Tomorrowland, etc). I'm not sure the logistics (earthquakes, potential flooding if we ever get rain, etc) that they may be worried about but I'm sure it greatly increases construction costs. It's even nice to imagine that the "ground level" would be the themed facade and the show buildings would be on a sub-level. This is how I imagined Pirates of the Caribbean when I was a kid -- before you could easily find out online where the show building is. I even think it is interesting imagining if they used an idea similar to Pirates but instead of using the drop to go under the berm, you use the drop to go under a roadway in order for show buildings to be on another plot of land.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would say no because of the possibility of earthquakes.
        My wife is the rebel spy.

        Comment


        • #5
          The LA basin's biggest problem, besides earthquakes, is its high water table. Any basement facility needs to be sealed up real well.
          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

          Comment


          • #6
            Some of it is underground already (or at least it was 25-30 years ago when I worked there). Under the Village Hans Restaurant are some offices. Also, under New Orleans Streets are the main kitchens for many of the NOS restaurants. A Cast Member dinner is under NOS also. If I recall correctly, there is some storage space under the toy store when you come off of the Small World. These are more like basements, but some of the other buildings use basement for storage or office space.
            Jeff made me famous!
            From the Mouth of the Mouse.

            Comment


            • #7
              DL has quite an expansive network of underground tunnels actually. Pictures of early prep and construction of SWL shows digging down tens of feet which would only be needed if they plan to have some subterrainian areas for the attraction and transit of employees and equipment. They would not need to go so far for plumbing sewage and electrical if everything was planned to be at surface level.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                The LA basin's biggest problem, besides earthquakes, is its high water table. Any basement facility needs to be sealed up real well.
                This^^^^^

                It gets really expensive to build habitable space below the water table. And even more expensive to maintain it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Garrett240 View Post
                  Some of it is underground already (or at least it was 25-30 years ago when I worked there). Under the Village Hans Restaurant are some offices. Also, under New Orleans Streets are the main kitchens for many of the NOS restaurants. A Cast Member dinner is under NOS also. If I recall correctly, there is some storage space under the toy store when you come off of the Small World. These are more like basements, but some of the other buildings use basement for storage or office space.
                  Technically those things aren't underground, but NOS is actually elevated above street level.

                  To address the OP, it's doubtful for reasons already said, but also they would probably be already grading for it. I swore Andy said in one of his articles that the show buildings in SWL will be a bit lower than street level so the buildings don't stand so tall from street level.
                  Last edited by chadwpalm; 04-12-2016, 10:57 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael808702 View Post
                    How do we not know if they aren't building star wars land on top of new facilities underground to save space.
                    I've been pondering this too. Those are massive buildings and it almost makes sense to have some storage/warehousing/support services built into the structure.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At first, I thought this was going to be about some kind of political movement!!

                      But seriously, I don't know if it's too late for underground. I know that when WDW was built in Florida, and they put in the Utildors, they actually built them on ground level, and the rest of the park was built on top of them, one story up. I suppose they could do that with new areas like Star Wars Land, but how would that affect sight lines, etc. And how would it really help Disneyland?

                      To my knowledge, the underground areas at Disneyland, like where Little Mermaid used to enter her clam shell, or where performers enter the elevator/stage in Tomorrowland are very limited, and don't provide much space at all, other than some access ways.
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                      No matter where you go, there you are.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                        To my knowledge, the underground areas at Disneyland, like where Little Mermaid used to enter her clam shell, or where performers enter the elevator/stage in Tomorrowland are very limited, and don't provide much space at all, other than some access ways.
                        As in where the fairies currently enter on stage.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
                          As in where the fairies currently enter on stage.
                          HA!! Yeah, you'd think I'd think of that first. I guess Ariel just made a greater impact.
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                          No matter where you go, there you are.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Darth Scottie View Post
                            I would say no because of the possibility of earthquakes.
                            I'm no architect or engineer, but I do know that there is a pretty sizable Metrorail system in Los Angeles, a significant portion of which is subways. And of course, there's the BART system in San Francisco. I think they've licked the problem of building basements and tunnels in California, and building codes have been established. I've even heard that in the event of an earthquake, the subway might actually (contrary the what the Universal Tour has taught us) might be the safest place to be. Retrofitting the original Disneyland with a series of utilidors would probably be impractical and too expensive at this point. Also, I heard that those tunnels ended up proving to be more trouble than they were worth, which would explain why no other park they've built since then has featured them. I think Florida's Magic Kingdom is the only place where you'll find them, unless someone can correct me.
                            Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

                            I swore Andy said in one of his articles that the show buildings in SWL will be a bit lower than street level so the buildings don't stand so tall from street level.

                            ...which is what they already have been doing for years. Think of the queue for "Space Mountain". Notice you enter the building on the upper level, and then you go down, down, down...The loading area is below ground level. Same with "it's a small world", which is evident with where the loading area is placed. Placing the show building 10-15 feet below ground level to better conceal it has been a common practice for decades, and the same trick should work with SWL.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post

                              HA!! Yeah, you'd think I'd think of that first. I guess Ariel just made a greater impact.

                              HaHa I think she did

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post

                                As in where the fairies currently enter on stage.
                                Tink and frirends are on ground level. But their break room, which they share with the Jedi peeps, is underground. It starts by the CM door near the face painting and goes all the way to the back of Pizza Port. On crowded (insane) days, that's how I get back to the backstage area by the old admin building. By the way, there is a lower level for the admin building too.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Blackness View Post
                                  DL has quite an expansive network of underground tunnels actually. Pictures of early prep and construction of SWL shows digging down tens of feet which would only be needed if they plan to have some subterrainian areas for the attraction and transit of employees and equipment. They would not need to go so far for plumbing sewage and electrical if everything was planned to be at surface level.
                                  Are you thinking of MK's Utilidors? Because DL had only a few "Underground areas". Mainly some stuff in NOS, and a few tunnels in TL, The tunnel that services TLT, and the former Rocket Rods Queue (Now Keep in mind, my information is from my parents who used to work in NOS, and my aunt who used to work in TL, and they both worked there almost two decades ago, so my info could be horribly outdated at this point)

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Disney CM View Post

                                    Tink and frirends are on ground level. But their break room, which they share with the Jedi peeps, is underground. It starts by the CM door near the face painting and goes all the way to the back of Pizza Port. On crowded (insane) days, that's how I get back to the backstage area by the old admin building. By the way, there is a lower level for the admin building too.
                                    Yes, but we were talking about how they got from point A to point B.

                                    On a side not, I use to work at the Old Admin building. One of my first offices was right next to lost prevention in the basement.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                                      ...which is what they already have been doing for years. Think of the queue for "Space Mountain". Notice you enter the building on the upper level, and then you go down, down, down...The loading area is below ground level.
                                      It's obvious when you compare Tokyo's clone of DL's Space Mountain, which they built starting at ground level so there's a platform underneath the dome.

                                      There's also the rising stage at Tomorrowland Terrace which has an obvious underground component.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post

                                        It's obvious when you compare Tokyo's clone of DL's Space Mountain, which they built starting at ground level so there's a platform underneath the dome.

                                        There's also the rising stage at Tomorrowland Terrace which has an obvious underground component.
                                        Well, there's that Tomorrowland tunnel that others have mentioned which starts over behind the carousel theater/Innoventions/SWLB (I think there's a door back there that says/said "T/L Terrace access") which takes you to under Tomorrowland Terrace, and apparently can be used to access Pixie Hollow. I think it's wide enough to allow small electric vehicles, and can also be accessed by a freight elevator near the pedestrian stairs. That's what I remember from my days working at the park.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X