This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash photo of the Matterhorn eyes?

Hey, all. So I've been on just a little bit of a Matterhorn kick for the last couple of days, and I got to wondering--does anyone have a flash photo of Harold's glowing red eyes at the top of the lift hills in the Matterhorn? I'm really curious to see what the rig they're mounted on looks like. I plan on taking such a photo myself the next chance I get, regardless of whether or not anyone has any, but I'd love to see any extant photos...especially because I don't know how long it'll be before I get to visit the park again.

On that topic...does anyone else feel the need for a little "plussing" in this area? I'm not a big fan of random suggestions to make alterations that really have no effect on the rides, and I can appreciate the value of classic effects that are effective despite the fact that they're no exactly cutting-edge. But this scene has always struck me as perhaps a bit too cheap. If there really were a full-bodied animatronic right there in the dark, you'd see bits of him--especially the face--illuminated by the eyes. Our eyes are really good at picking up on subtle stuff like that, and when it's missing we notice, even if we don't realize exactly what's wrong.

It seems to me that installing just two more full Harolds--one for each track to replace the current eyes--wouldn't be that difficult or expensive. Actually, the legs and lower torso wouldn't even need to be built--just the head, chest, and arms. Perhaps reaching a dimly-lit paw over the rider's heads would be a nice touch, too. The heart of the effect would still be the same: you make a hard right or left turn in the dark after the hill and are suddenly surprised by the roar of an abominable snowman whose eyes glow crimson in the blackness. But the faintly visible fur and face would make the scene feel less cheap and more scary.

Anyway...my original purpose of this thread was to prompt some picture-posting. So let's see exactly what the current setup looks like when the veil of darkness is pulled aside!

Re: Flash photo of the Matterhorn eyes?

I kinda agree. I'm usually not a fan of change, especially when it comes to Disneyland attractions. But this has always stuck out as something they could have done better.. I know the technology wasn't as great back when the Matterhorn was built / redone, but I wouldn't mind seeing it fixed up.

I'm sure someone has a pic somewhere, but I should be there next weekend at the latest, and I'll have my camera in hand, so I'll see what I can do.

BTW I was looking at your 3D site a few days ago. Very addicting and informative!

Comment

BTW I was looking at your 3D site a few days ago. Very addicting and informative!
      Ooh, thank you! Now, I'm not sure if you're referring to my "Disneyland in 3D!" thread, my Flickr collection, or my Virtual Magic website, but I'd heavily suggest using the first two and not the third. The first two are updated regularly, with updates generally being posted first on the thread and then on Flickr. (Oy, I gotta post a bunch of renders on Flickr...I'm getting behind.) My actual site is basically dead; I'm planning on redesigning it at some point...maybe. Anyway, that's nowhere near up-to-date.

Thanks again! Glad you're enjoying it. It's certainly been an exciting process for me, and I don't intend to stop any time soon.

Comment

All righty, I feel obliged to bump this. I'm sure someone has a shot like this. Come on..."ruin the magic"...please!

Comment

I think that there's really no need. I mean, really...the time span in which you see the eyes is only a few seconds. Would anyone really catch on in that small time span? And besides, maybe it'd be...too scary for the little ones. Three year olds are tall enough for that ride!

Comment

I don't think there should be more than one Harold in the Matterhorn.

It works the same way as EE. Seeing bits and pieces of the yeti builds up the excitement of seeing the yeti in all it's glory for all of less than 5 seconds, the same way as the Matterhorn does.

just my two cents.

-CBF
            MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
            (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

I think that there's really no need. I mean, really...the time span in which you see the eyes is only a few seconds. Would anyone really catch on in that small time span? And besides, maybe it'd be...too scary for the little ones. Three year olds are tall enough for that ride!
              True...you'd have to do it when you knew the other riders in your bobsled train would be okay with it. But if you thought of it in advance and you knew everyone in your group was fine with it, it wouldn't be too difficult. You know exactly where he'll be, and you're not even moving very quickly at that point.

I don't think there should be more than one Harold in the Matterhorn. It works the same way as EE. Seeing bits and pieces of the yeti builds up the excitement of seeing the yeti in all it's glory for all of less than 5 seconds, the same way as the Matterhorn does.
              I disagree. While I can vicariously appreciate EE's yeti's design philosophy, building on the suspense and all, I don't think it'd be effective for our Matterhorn. One of the reasons the Matterhorn scared me so much when I was a kid was the fact that the abominable snowman could jump out at any point. I was terrified of turning the corner, barreling into a cave, and narrowly swerving past his paws. Since Harold's "mythology" can't really be played up like the yeti's is, I think Harold is more effective as a series of close encounters than as a sequence of suspenseful events leading up to one split-second scare.

Comment

i took one before i think i accidently deleted it though. Its just a black box with a wire going down the wall if i remember right. and two red lights haha.

Comment

i took one before i think i accidently deleted it though. Its just a black box with a wire going down the wall if i remember right. and two red lights haha.
                  Bah, that's too bad that you deleted it...I suspected it would look something like that, though. I'm still planning on getting a shot next time I go...

Comment

ill check again I just forgot what trip it was on .

nope sorry
                    Last edited by patattack; 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X