Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Hub Expansion at DLR?

So I was in the parks last night trying to watch the fireworks before they go away in a few weeks. I was able to get myself what I thought was a primo spot at the top of the hub and just a little to the left of the castle (facing the castle from Main St), only to discover a giant tree that blocked my view of pretty much all of the big fireworks (I could see the flares and such that are shot off from the castle, but not the big fireworks that are shot off from Toontown). So that got me thinking -- Would you like to see Disneyland do the same kind of thing that the Magic Kingdom at WDW recently did where they expand the hub viewing area and get rid of all of the obstructions?

For me personally I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, if they continue to do these kinds of shows (rumor has it that the Star Wars fireworks from Disney Studios are coming soon, which would use projection mapping on the castle) then I think they do need to rethink the hub design and make it so that more people can see the show. On the other hand, I LOVE all of the trees at Disneyland and I think it's a big part of what makes the park so beautiful. I think I could live with a lot smaller trees. I don't think it's necessary to move the Partner's statue, although I have always thought it would make more sense in Towne Square facing the castle so that it looks like Walt is pointing out the castle to Mickey (I have a weird sense of humor, so to me it has always looked like Walt was pointing to the exit saying "Get out"). Also of course I'd be in favor of getting rid of the rocks and Astro Orbiter in front of Tomorrowland (even if they don't put it back on top of the People Mover and just get rid of it altogether, I'd rather lose that and free up the opening then deal with the log jam every night of people trying to get in and out of the land).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

They already kind of did this (with the trees) back in 2005 when they knew Remember... Dreams Come True was going to be super hub centric. The historic Olive trees were replaced with smaller trees, but I know which trees you are referring to here... and I would personally miss them... they look really beautiful and provide much needed shade during the day. That said, I think the removing the rocks is a much, much better idea. First of all, you open up a lot of more space that will probably be a much better view for fireworks (from that angle they will be right behind the castle as opposed to off the side of it), and second, they will open up that poor cluttered mess of an entrance to Tomorrowland! I just realized on my last visit how terribly non-functional that entrance is with those rocks and the Astro Orbiter there! It is the worst walkway in the park :/
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

Comment

No. While I appreciate the appeal of the fireworks show, I feel like night time entertainment (FW, Parades, F!, WOC) has diminished the quality of a visit to DLR. I remember riding attractions in the dark, wandering around the Park to enjoy the lights and sounds, etc. Now, we camp for hours waiting for a 17 min show, the crowds prevent us from moving freely through the Park, and they close many of the attractions/sections of the Park for the shows. Cutting down trees might make viewing more easy for guests at night, but would negatively affect the look and feel of the Park during other times of day. There needs to be a better solution that allows Guests to enjoy the night time entertainment, but also allows us to enjoy Disneyland at night.

Comment

I would love for those tall trees next to the castle replaced with shorter ones. Not only for fireworks viewing, but more importantly to restore the scale of the castle and surrounding buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by ehrawn View Post
          No. While I appreciate the appeal of the fireworks show, I feel like night time entertainment (FW, Parades, F!, WOC) has diminished the quality of a visit to DLR. I remember riding attractions in the dark, wandering around the Park to enjoy the lights and sounds, etc. Now, we camp for hours waiting for a 17 min show, the crowds prevent us from moving freely through the Park, and they close many of the attractions/sections of the Park for the shows. Cutting down trees might make viewing more easy for guests at night, but would negatively affect the look and feel of the Park during other times of day. There needs to be a better solution that allows Guests to enjoy the night time entertainment, but also allows us to enjoy Disneyland at night.
          I completely agree with you. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see DL add an amphitheater similar to that in WDW for the nightly shows and fireworks. I appreciate Walt's "goodnight kiss" but the congestion it brings really does diminish the atmosphere of the park.

Comment

I had the same experience last year:

IMG_6563

It was this tree that blocked me. I don't think the solution is to get rid of all the trees, but to move the launch pad to the East to line it up with Main Street. I know there were rumors that the launch pad was going to be moved to not be so close to Star Wars Land (I dunno if any of it was true), but at least the fireworks would be above the castle for anyone on Main Street to see instead of off to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post

I completely agree with you. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see DL add an amphitheater similar to that in WDW for the nightly shows and fireworks. I appreciate Walt's "goodnight kiss" but the congestion it brings really does diminish the atmosphere of the park.
              Yes! I have said this for a few years, just make a stadium(s) for the shows, imagine, seating, no saving a spot, no camped out people, civilization!

Comment

I hear what you mean, but am in favor of keeping as many trees and shade as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CoalingaLucy View Post

Yes! I have said this for a few years, just make a stadium(s) for the shows, imagine, seating, no saving a spot, no camped out people, civilization!
                  Have you done Fantasmic! at DHS in WDW? A stadium built just for that show yet you still need to acquire a fastpass and get there early for descent seating. From the WDW website:

Please have your entire party together before entering the theater. Seating begins 90 minutes prior to each show, so arrive early to ensure you get a seat.
                  In short, not even a known specialized stadium can't hold all the people that want to see the show, and for the amount of people that gather in the hub and Main Street (at Disneyland), you could never build a stadium or even seating around the hub that would hold a fraction of those people. Disneyland is just too cramped and there's no place to put it.

Comment

Thin some of the trees, remove the ugly french fry rocks, fix the launch angle, etc. All good ideas.

A stadium or amphitheater to view fireworks/Fantasmic/etc would be pretty pathetic. Part of the joy of seeing the fireworks show is to see it from Main Street with the castle in view.
                    This Space For Rent

Comment

Every so many years they remove the trees and put smaller ones. I personally do not like seeing any tree removed but understand the reason in this case. Hopefully they are saved when this happens. As for the Hub, i hope that they don't go the WDW route. WDW has plenty of room to do something like this but Disneylands hub is much smaller. i would hate to see the last remaining last trees removed just so that people can see fireworks better.

There are other areas that could be cleaned up without removing the trees. The worst area is the large tomorrowland rocks that could be removed and holding pens created for viewing

Comment

Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

Have you done Fantasmic! at DHS in WDW? A stadium built just for that show yet you still need to acquire a fastpass and get there early for descent seating. From the WDW website:

In short, not even a known specialized stadium can't hold all the people that want to see the show, and for the amount of people that gather in the hub and Main Street (at Disneyland), you could never build a stadium or even seating around the hub that would hold a fraction of those people. Disneyland is just too cramped and there's no place to put it.
                        Where you put an amphitheater? I can't think of any place where there would be room.

Also, I've seen WDW's Fantasmic, and the show loses ALL of it's charm by being in an amphitheater instead of in New Orleans Square.
                        Disneyland Cast Member
                        Outdoor Vending
                        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Summer Heat each year ,is longer and worst .....I favor of keeping as many trees ,and shade around.......
                          Disney need to come up with a Fireworks Show ,that more to the center , and castle in view !
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Keep trees and shade. It makes Disneyland feel more like a park and less of a concrete wasteland. Just visited MK in March and DL a few days ago and the DL hub feels so much more welcoming and authentic. Don't sacrifice the trees - ESPECIALLY not for people to see X-Wings projected on a castle!

Comment

Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

Well i would have put it at the space next to Paradise Pier Hotel and make it like a 5,000 seater, first come first served, no early arrivals, no saving seats. Open the seating 60 minutes prior to show.

You could have shows every 90 minutes, different shows if they wanted, dusk to closing.

Comment

Am I dreaming, or wasn't it the word on the street when PTN and Disney Forever were being anticipated that they would have cool projections all over the park so that they would look great from lots of different places, taking the pressure off the hub? That's how I remember the build-up.

Anyhow, that said, I wish they'd tailor the shows to suit their venue, rather than do permanent destruction to the venue to suit a passing show.

Comment

If the solution would be removing all the trees, absolutely not. What they did to MK's hub just in the name of fireworks viewing is awful. "Concrete wasteland", indeed.

Comment

I'd be okay with making some sort of larger viewing area, but I thought removing the trees at WDW was a bad idea and I think it would be a bad idea here, too. No shade. We need shade. It's hot almost all year. And it makes the area feel more like a quaint little town to have the trees.

I actually dislike the castle-centric shows partially for this reason. Why make a castle-centric show where you know most views will be obstructed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                                      Am I dreaming, or wasn't it the word on the street when PTN and Disney Forever were being anticipated that they would have cool projections all over the park so that they would look great from lots of different places, taking the pressure off the hub? That's how I remember the build-up.

Anyhow, that said, I wish they'd tailor the shows to suit their venue, rather than do permanent destruction to the venue to suit a passing show.
                                      This. Disneyland has a certain size and scale and charm. There are limits to how much re-sculpting can be done to it, lest it lose its intimate park feeling. Let there be larger spectacles in DCA and other parks around the world. Disneyland does not need any more "wow factor". It clearly is more popular than ever and is being loved to death! Let the old-school "Fantasy in the Sky" return, which lets every guest simply look up and see the show. All the castle/hub-centric shows are a nightmare! If this causes less guests to come, then so be it. Not to worry, Disneyland is still going to remain a top destination. Now, of course, the Disney company may not like less than an absolutely packed park at nearly all times, but then that's too bad. If operational costs and shareholder expectations require the admission price to rise, then so be it. I, for one, would gladly save my money longer to go less frequently, and enjoy the truly special and sacrosanct experience of a pseudo-holy Day At Disneyland. This is just my opinion off the top of my head.

Comment

I don't want to see the hub expanded. I like the landscape around the hub. No need to fill them in for more concrete. I think Disney planned 4 star hotel would create a new view. I hope the hotel roof top restaurant is open to anyone, not just hotel guest. I don't ever wait to view the fireworks at the hub or mainstreet. I like being away from that madness to watch fireworks.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X