Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Mike's Club 33 Adventure and Solo Trip Report 8/11/16-8/13/16

This trip report will be multiple parts. Each part will be added to this thread so check back for the entire three day trip report.

Back Story:
    The only way I was ever going on this trip was because my cousin found a connection into Club 33. Without that, not a single piece of the trip would have ever happened. In no way would my wife let me go to Disneyland by myself, let alone with the credit card. However, once Club 33 was guaranteed, I had full blessing to tear off from Phoenix to Anaheim.

Once my cousin found an “in” to Club 33, it took almost a year to get the reservation secured. Along the way, I had given up and realized it may not happen. But then in July, the process really started rolling along. Available dates were exchanged and then the waiting for confirmation commenced. Finally, the reservation number was received at the start of August. Fireworks shot off, parades were held and the entire kingdom rejoiced. Well, mostly me but you get the idea. I had even packed the week before I was to leave. Do you think I was excited?

Ironically, the trip coincided with our first ever family trip to Disneyland nearly nine years to the day. That was the trip that changed me forever. Prior to that, despite being born and raised in Orange County, Disneyland was nothing special to me. As I got into teenage years and college, I tried to avoid going as I was not into roller coasters and didn’t see much enjoyment. That trip nine years ago changed all that.

Having talked my wife into bringing herself and our two year old son to Anaheim so I could attend a convention was a feat unto itself. Saying we could try Disneyland during the day and night when I wasn’t partaking in convention events would mean we would spend time together as a family. At that point, our son had not seen anything related to Disney. Ultimately, it was a win-win situation.

By the end of the first day, nearly all convention activities were cast aside for park fun. Seeing 100% pure joy, amazement and wonderment in the eyes of a child permanently changed me. I was hooked. I had seen the light of what Disneyland could mean to people and why it was special. All from that day, nine years ago.
    Trip Report:

Thursday August 11th
    Needless to say I was chomping at the bit. I was up before my alarm and ready to go. Of course I had to drop the kids off at school first but as soon as they were there, it was light speed time to Anaheim. I have never had the opportunity to take a solo trip anywhere and I was going to max out this entire experience. The car was on the road by 7:30AM. Next stop 101 to the 10 to the 60 to the 91 to the 57 and exit on Katella.

I hit the usual gas stops along the way to stretch the legs but I stopped for less time than if we were going as a family. Ehrenberg is Ehrenberg so there was no reason to stay longer than needed. I stopped for lunch at the same Burger King on the Washington Exit near Indio I have been stopping at for the last 20 years. Treating myself to a rare Whopper, it took longer for them to cook the food than for me to eat it and get back on the road. Mickey was calling.

Finally, off the Katella exit. My heart started beating much faster. Only a few more streets until I could pull into the Castle Inn check in and get going. I had gotten to Anaheim in about 5 hours and 30 minutes. Of course, hotel check ins take forever and my room would not be ready until later. So I picked up my camera bag, told them I would be back way later and beat feat up Harbor to the park entrance.

I had to stop at the ticket booth to redeem my ticket voucher. Great, I picked the one booth with only one person in front of me. Woohoo. Too bad it was the one ticket agent who was all into customer service and spent 15 minutes talking to the person in front of me. Seriously, people, don’t you know how bad I want my ticket? Finally, ticket in hand it was time to enter the pearly gates. Three days of nonstop park action was about to go down. It was about to get real.

A quick pause to smell the cleaner Disney air, see the brighter Disney skies and bolder colors and I was off to Pirates. I prepped my camera for all the settings needed and preceded to the queue until the welcoming smell of Pirate Water wafted over me. Yeah, I was home.

I got the front of the boat to better shoot pictures with. This was the first time I didn’t even feel the drops. However, I was kind enough to scoot to one side so my 6’5” frame didn’t totally block the family with little kids behind me them out of viewing the ride. But I did shield the little ones from the spray of the water. The ride seemed so much quicker this time. In a flash it was over with.

Next stop, Haunted Mansion. This would be the first time since before 2001 I had seen the normal Haunted Mansion set up. Why? Well every other trip we have taken since has been during the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. My only chance to see the normal version came at WDW a few years ago.

Now queued up and ready to go for the 45 minute wait, I was looking forward to finally seeing it. But as soon as we made our way to the entrance gates, the rope came out and was told to wait. Yup, ride breakdown. After 15 minutes, they shut it down. Argh. I didn’t feel like waiting so I wandered over to Winnie the Pooh instead.

Understand that since California was still on summer break I knew it would be busier. However, crowds have changed big time in the last 9 years. Gone were the days of mid august waits being really short. This hit me square in the face at Winnie the Pooh when the line started at the ride entrance. What??? Seriously? Oh boy, this trip was going to have longer lines than I wanted. Oh well, I had three days to take it all in.

Done with Winnie the Pooh, I wandered back up from Critter Country, by Splash Mountain and toward Haunted Mansion only to see at that exact moment, the ropes came down and ride reopened. Boom! I was in! Since most people had bolted the ride, I basically walked up into the ride with only a five minute wait. Nice.
    Last edited by mpabis525; 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM.
    2018 Milestone Birthday Trip
    2017 Solo Birthday Trip
    2016 Solo trip and Club 33
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Final part
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Part 3
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Part 2
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Part 1

I have the whole thing ready to go but for some reason, even when trying to post small segments of the report it won't post it. Argh.

Loved Club 33. Hope to go back. I may have a minuscule chance again if my cousin gets another shot but I bet my cousin would bring along some others to spread the wealth.

i actually had a tougher time with dark ride shots this trip than before. I tried to experiment with manual but wasn't getting the great shots like last year when I was on Aperture mode. Just will take time. Thanks for the tips on it though.
    2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post
      I have the whole thing ready to go but for some reason, even when trying to post small segments of the report it won't post it. Argh.
      Weird. Sometimes posts require moderation before they will post. New forum software seems flaky. I run both of the Disney forums, so sometimes one is way ahead of the other because of exactly this.

Loved Club 33. Hope to go back. I may have a minuscule chance again if my cousin gets another shot but I bet my cousin would bring along some others to spread the wealth.
      My contacts have started drying up because of people who should not have been trusted to an unaccompanied reservation ruining it for everybody. Ugh. Shame one bad person can wipe out access for hundreds of others.

i actually had a tougher time with dark ride shots this trip than before. I tried to experiment with manual but wasn't getting the great shots like last year when I was on Aperture mode. Just will take time. Thanks for the tips on it though.
      It can be hit or miss. I can't see the exif as it appears that the editing software you used (elements organizer 11) wiped it out other than the camera model itself.
      Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
        My contacts have started drying up because of people who should not have been trusted to an unaccompanied reservation ruining it for everybody. Ugh. Shame one bad person can wipe out access for hundreds of others.
        I only lucked into this Club 33 trip. My cousin has an AP and has become a big Disney fan. When I went back to CA in 2013 for our grandmother's funeral, he and I were all Disney for the brief time I was there. So, when he told me he had an in to Club 33, he invited me because he knew I would appreicate it for what it meant and not just because it was an exclusive place.

Weird. Sometimes posts require moderation before they will post. New forum software seems flaky. I run both of the Disney forums, so sometimes one is way ahead of the other because of exactly this.
        Argh, this stinks. Still trying to post even shorter snippets and no dice.

It can be hit or miss. I can't see the exif as it appears that the editing software you used (elements organizer 11) wiped it out other than the camera model itself.
        when I went manual, I had either the 35mm 1.8, 11-16mm 2.8 or 17-50mm 2.8. I set the aperature to the lowest settings, speed to 1/60 and let auto ISO roll (usually 3200 for the dark rides). I did get some shots out of there but nothing like what i got with Aperture mode at 1.8 on my 35mm last year. However, I did get a couple of shots on Peter Pan and The Haunted Mansion which I couldn't get on Aperture. Just more trial and error for next time. Then again, there were times where I forgot to adjust the settings and they were left from the previous shoot. So a few times, it was user error that affected a few things.
        2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post

I only lucked into this Club 33 trip. My cousin has an AP and has become a big Disney fan. When I went back to CA in 2013 for our grandmother's funeral, he and I were all Disney for the brief time I was there. So, when he told me he had an in to Club 33, he invited me because he knew I would appreicate it for what it meant and not just because it was an exclusive place.
          It is such a treat for sure. We've loved and appreciated every time we've been allowed to dine there. I've had some amazing luck from some very generous C33 members.

Argh, this stinks. Still trying to post even shorter snippets and no dice.
          Weird. I'm adding to my most recent TR and it seems to be going just fine with lots of pictures..

when I went manual, I had either the 35mm 1.8, 11-16mm 2.8 or 17-50mm 2.8. I set the aperature to the lowest settings, speed to 1/60 and let auto ISO roll (usually 3200 for the dark rides). I did get some shots out of there but nothing like what i got with Aperture mode at 1.8 on my 35mm last year. However, I did get a couple of shots on Peter Pan and The Haunted Mansion which I couldn't get on Aperture. Just more trial and error for next time. Then again, there were times where I forgot to adjust the settings and they were left from the previous shoot. So a few times, it was user error that affected a few things.
          1/60 is pretty darn slow of a shutter. I typically don't go below 1/80. I shoot at 1.4 or 2.8 pretty much exclusively and I prefer to stick to 1600 due to sensor noise.
          Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

It was interesting to see the Mansion in its non Nightmare form. To me, the loading area seemed really plain. The first hallway with the doors seemed really subdued too. The Graveyard was a nice scene especially with all the historical characters. And I liked the Hitchhiking Ghosts. Do I like one version over the other? I don’t know. I think I am more used to seeing the Nightmare version and am more accustomed to that with all the extra scenery and colors it provides. It isn’t better, just different.

2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Next up was Peter Pan. Sure, Peter Pan in the middle of the afternoon, am I nuts? Yeah, pretty much. After 45 minutes I was in. I have always loved this ride. If they could only double or triple the size they could make it show everything that makes the movie pop so well. The downside was that most of the color in the Neverland diorama room was out. Only the waterfall and lava lights were working therefore leaving the rest of all the scenes in the dark. Really??? Ugh.

After a wee bit of heat and sweating, off to It’s a Small World for some air conditioning. Ever since my downstairs AC was out for 4 weeks in the hottest part of the year in Phoenix, I do anything I can to find AC. And 15 minutes is enjoyable. Exceptfor the family in the rows in front of me who kept throwing pennies into the ride.

Once over, I quickly left them behind hoping security saw them on the cameras and decided to meet them near the exit. Off to Tomorrowland for me. Star Tours was the next stop. Since I had the time, I squeezed in a trip across the galaxy. I have only visited twice since the new scenes have been added. During thattime, I have ridden it three times. This being the fourth time, I got the same scenes as two of the other three visits. Oh well, still better than most and you can’t go wrong with Star Wars.

I really did like the constant Star Wars music playing throughout Tomorrowland. It really made it feel alive. With so many pieces of music it just felt more energetic than normal. One can only wonder what the full blown Star Wars land will be like.

With time for one last ride before an early dinner, I hit Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters. This was another eye opener as to crowds. The queue stretched into a part off to the back I didn’t even know existed. It went up by Pixie Hollow. Just a few people in the parks that day. It was funny to hear people in front of me talking how it was going to be scary and that one didn’t tell the other it was a roller coaster. During the ride, I didn’t blast much. Instead I took pictures to see if I could finally pull it off. Other rides would go for high scores. In fact, I didn’t even pick up the blaster until the last part of the ride.
              2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Ok, early dinner around 5pm. With tradition dictating, I was off to Rancho del Zocallo for the Carne Asada and enchilada platter. Yes, I live in phoenix and I come to Disneyland for Mexican food. I don’t know what it is, but I love this platter and it is the first meal we always have at the parks. You can’t argue with tradition, right? It was a good chance to sit and eat while strategically planning the fireworks photography I was going to do that night.

After dinner, I wandered the right side of the park searching for the best photography spots. Keep in mind I know where the best ones are around the hub and Main St. The only problem was the entire curb and good areas were already claimed starting around 3pm. Seriously? Deciding I really wanted the castle really limited my options but I found a spot that would be the best available. Knowing I wouldn’t be able to leave that spot for quite some time, I picked up a hot fudge sundae to bring back to the spot and enjoy.

With a full belly from dinner and ice cream, I started camping out in my spot at 6pm. Yes, I know how long I would have to stand. It meant a huge ride sacrifice, but I really wanted some fireworks shots. Tom Bricker’s (WDW_Figment) tutorials and book really helped with WDW fireworks but I wanted some better shots like he takes at Disneyland. I specifically bought and brought new gear just for the shoot that night and was pumped to do it.

The hours passed by slowly. I watched the new Rogue One trailer a few times and tried to keep people from encroaching on the spot my tripod was in. Keep in mind, I chose a spot that was physically surrounded on three sides so it couldn’t get in anyone’s way. That didn’t stop dozens from trying to squeeze through past it, knocking and hitting it or standing right in front. A few words and stare downs caused some to back off. But as Paint the Night got closer people’s manners went further out the window.

I love the Paint the Night parade. The soundtrack I have is one of my favorites to play on my phone. In fact, it is the only parade I want to see at the parks over the last 9 years. Being able to see it again before it goes away was a huge plus for the trip. That and the amazing fireworks show were going to be highlights of the visit.

With the parade over, everyone was forced onto Main St. and I just stayed in my spot. Don’t you love the shots I got of the fireworks?

Yeah, can’t see them can you? That would be because they canceled the show due to likely high winds at altitude even though there was nary a breeze down below. I saw the fireworks test shot and test balloon during Paint the Night but nothing seemed amiss. Only the dreaded announcement after the parade gave warning of what was to come. The second test balloon confirmed that I had just wasted my night. The test balloon looked like a space shuttle launch. It started going straight up but then arched in another direction. Arrrrggghhhh. Oh well, things could be worse. Besides they said they would play the special show which I figured would be the projections and soundtrack. Once again, nope. Only the opening song and then straight to the “Kiss Goodnight” song and we were done peeps. Seriously? Just play the show and let everyone enjoy the pretty lights and songs. Oh well.

From here I decided to wander the parks taking night shots for a bit and then call it an early night in order to get some rest for the rest of the weekend.

2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Wow...incredible photographs. Thanks for working through the obstacles to get them posted.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. I'm loving your photos! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Friday August 12th

I got up early to get ready to start the day at California Adventure at 9am. In fact, I beat my 6:30 alarm. I breakfast-ed with champions, Pop Tarts style and got ready before heading through security to then stand in line at DCA. Was about the 6thperson in line for the regular admission. Once through, I bee lined it up to the rope on Buena Vista St. for Rope Drop. I passed the time waiting, talking to my cousin on the phone about the plan for the next two days and chatted with a lady from Guam. Then the appointed hour came.

One thing that continues to amaze me is how in a society where we will do anything to skirt the rules, you can have thousands of people at a rope drop, ready to charge through a park but simply hold back when one guy says “Once I remove the rope, please wait for the announcement to finish then you may pass.” And you know what? No one moves.

Once Rope Drop was over, off to Radiator Springs Racers. This was going to be my first ever use of the Single Rider line. And was it ever fun. I literally walked up to the ride only to pause long enough for them to tell me which seat to go in. The regular queue was already 10s of minutes long. The ride was a blast. In fact I even got to go on the Ramone side. I never knew there was a Ramone side of the ride before the race. Once off, I quickly got back in to do it again. On the way back into the ride, I passed the lady from Guam and waved at her to her shock and surprise as I got on well before her.

Figuring that Toy Story Mania would start to build a line too, I decided against a third race and made my way over there. Not bad, only 20 minutes or so. The only downside was my score. Only 144,000. Normally I am higher than that so I blame the lack of sleep.

Next was a trip with Ariel and then over to Soarin. In Little Mermaid, I saw something out of the ordinary. One of the projection machines wasn’t working in the Under the Sea room. It was showing the system menu on the wall instead of whatever scene it was supposed to be playing.

As I passed the Soarin queue, the wait was only 35 minutes. I asked about single rider but was told they stopped doing that. Darn. Well, the lightbulbs on the sign must have been burnt out or someone was having fun because it took almost an hour to get on the ride. I was really excited for this ride. Our trip in September was the first time I had been able to ride it and it was AMAZING.

With the excitement from last year, I was interested to see how they did the new version. Unfortunately, it didn’t have the same wow as the old film. While the visuals were pretty, I rarely felt like I was flying. In fact the ride barely seemed to move like the last one. It was a bit of a letdown. The movie seemed flatter and didn’t have the life the California version seemed to bring. It felt like I was just sitting there watching a movie rather than flying through California. But, it is still better to have ridden it then not.
                      2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

The extra time I spent waiting for Soarin pushed back my schedule a bit. I decided to head over to Disneyland across the plaza to knock out some rides. First up was Haunted Mansion again. The ghosts and I bonded, got to know each other and hung out.

Another quick ride on Winnie the Pooh then made my way back up to Adventureland. For the second day in a row, Indy was closed when I went by. I haven’t ridden it since 2008 and was looking forward to it. I settled for Pirates instead.

I settled in for some fun thanks to an 18-20 year old behind me with a pencil mustache behind. Once again I got the front of the boat and my 6’5” plopped down in the seat. Just then he starts piping up about how he won’t be able to see. Hate to break the news to you but you can still see everything. He starts making some remarks. Once down the slides (where I again blocked everyone behind me from getting wet) it is photo time. I am clicking away and then all of the sudden the storm caverns glow white. I know my flash is off and so is my screen. Guess who is using the flash on his cell phone? You guessed it, our little guy behind me. I quickly give him the death stare. He does it again and as I turn around his friend tells him to turn the flash off before I got to. Who knows if he kept it up, the Mansion may have had their 1,000 ghost.

Leaving them behind I decide to take in the view at Tarzan’s Tree House. Being one of the highest parts of the park it gives a nice view of the west side of things. Plus I get some extra steps in.

It is here I suddenly realize I need to write a book. I am going to title it “The 174 Places to Hit Your Head at Disneyland.” Unfortunately, I can only remember 12. Ba-da, bumm. As fun as it is to hike up, that place is a death trap for me. I fortunately didn’t crush my skull on this trip but have probably left dents in several places on Tarzan. In fact, I find myself ducking more this trip. Parts of the pirates queue and several other areas like Nemo (nearly knocked myself stupid there once) seem to be getting lower and lower. Either that or I am just getting taller.

With all this going on, I started to get hungry. On this trip, I decided to do something I hadn’t done before. I went to the Plaza Inn for lunch to try the fried chicken. Having long heard how good it was, this would be the perfect chance to try it out. In fact the last time I was at the Plaza Inn was over 30 years ago where I remember having a Mickey waffle for breakfast with my parents.

All things considered it was tasty. It may not have been the best I ever had but there wasn’t much left on the plate to throw away. The breading was great. However, I like the chicken in my fried chicken a wee bit drier. I know it would not be the first time I have been called strange.

It was during lunch I realized just how good I was having it. My table was right on the railing with a perfect view of the castle. Can you really ask for a better spot to eat outside at the park? Nah, I don’t think so.

With a full belly, it was time for some Star Tours. Sure the lines were long but I still had some time before I met my cousin across the plaza at DCA. While waiting in line, I looked up and right next to me were the First Order Troopers. It was the first time I had ever seen them in the parks. After seeing pictures for the last several years of the Star Wars Stormtrooper presence at WDW, I really think it adds something to Tomorrowland and can’t wait to see how they pull it off in Star Wars Land.

The nice thing about this ride was I got two new scenes. Yeah for me. I got to go to Naboo and Jango Fett and the Death Star. I will take it. However, I am still waiting for most of the other scenes. Maybe on the next trip I will get more new ones.

Next was Buzz again. This time instead of shooting photos, I was shooting targets for points. I blame the faulty gun for not registering enough points. J Once again, the line was the longest I have ever seen. The queue was wrapped up and around by Pixie Hollow. One thing that was interesting on this trip, it seemed the cast members were stopping parties more and spacing things out than utilizing the full omnimoover concept. On all the trips through Buzz this trip, they seemed to stop the crowd at spots where I have never even seen cast members before. This left me with no doubt about one of the reasons for the longer waits in line for Buzz.

2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

What an excellent dose of "living vicariously"! Thanks so much for taking the time to take and post such lovely photos, and for the great narrative to accompany them! Looking forward to the next installments!

Comment

Great TR, look forward to more. Thanks!

Comment

By now, it was Dole Whip time. I normally follow doctor’s orders, a Dole Whip a day keeps the doctor away. However, I didn’t get one on Day one. That sweet ambrosia is so delightful. Seriously, since I own a Dole Whip shirt, I gotta back it up. And it goes even better with 15 minutes of air conditioning inside the Tiki Room. Life is good when you get to hear the birds sing words and the flowers croon. In this instance most of the room was really hopping and singing. Much more than I remember before. Or maybe that is because I am always singing and therefore block out everyone else.

With some time before I met my cousin, I decided to wander the park and see if I could get some good photos. I really like the submarine lagoon so I spent some time over there. I was really hoping to get all the subs and the monorail in a shot together but the monorail never wanted to cooperate. No gold star for him that day.

By now, it was time to go meet my cousin at DCA. I haven’t seen him in person since 2013. We were basically like brothers growing up. After making my way back across the plaza, it was good to see him. Pleasantries were exchanged. But let’s face it. Even though he lives within walking distance of the park and has an AP, we are both here for rides. On to Radiator Springs Racers.

Have I mentioned that I love the single rider line? If not, I love the single rider line. Once again, I walked right on for my third and fourth visits of the day.
                              Last edited by mpabis525; 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM.
                              2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Amazing pics and commentary! Can't wait to see the remaining TR. Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment

Your inside-ride pics are amazing! Mine just turn out as bright blurs or dark shadows.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Upon walking out, I realized that Luigi’s was right there and hadn’t ridden it in either form. Of course it was a walk on. I wonder why? Hmmm. We both agreed it would be good to ride it once before it goes away again. Yeah……bring on the bulldozers. While the trackless system was nice, there is no way this ride should exist. Wow. I fully realize that kids and adults have different tastes and it may fit the younger ones but even my seven year old would be bored on it.

We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up and hitting rides. We went onto Monster’s Inc. for what may be my last ride on it before they demo it for Marvel-land. I have always liked the ride but after Little Mermaid was done, I can only imagine what they could properly do with Mike and Sulley.

We ventured over to the Animation building. Somehow with my kids, we had never wandered in. In fact I never knew what was in there until I saw pictures a few years ago. There are some nicely themed sections but I can’t see how it will last going forward. It just occupies too much space with not enough going on. Still, it was good to check something off the list.

Now it was time for Soarin once again. However, for some reason my cousin has not ridden the new version yet. We still patiently waited while chatting with a family from Canada. By the end, our Canadian visitor was shaking his head that his older daughter got scared and left halfway through the line. He loved it and was going to drag the rest of his family on it once he got outside. Once again, we both agreed that the old version was better but it was nice to see them keep Patrick Warburton. In fact, it is probably the only safety video outside the WDW monorail that people enjoy hearing.

With several DCA rides under our belts, we headed off to Carthay Circle for a beverage before our dinner reservations upstairs. Having never been there, my cousin thought it would be good. The lounge was much smaller than I thought with only about 15 tables. We kicked back in AC and relaxed before our dining time opened up.

Last edited by mpabis525; 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM.
                                    2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Working...
                                    X