Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DL Border Patrol

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DL Border Patrol

    In a recent thread by Prag (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...eet-82278.html) involving the addition of small 'touches' to Main Street to compliment the changes made across the Esplanade, a subject was briefly explored that I wanted to expand upon, and get MiceChatters reactions to.

    In response to a suggestion that a stage production of Barrie's 'Peter Pan' (a contemporary play in MS's time period) be advertised in the form of printed playbills, it was agreed upon by many to be a welcome added 'detail', as long as Peter Pan the face charater did not venture onto Main Street.

    My question to all is this: why are some characters accepted on Main Street and others not? Certainly Mickey and Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald have little business appearing on the streets of a turn-of-the-century midwestern town; but are accepted while, let's say, Dumbo or Pooh is not. What exactly constitutes the criteria used to determine a character's 'relevance' on Main Street? Your ideas?

    Why would Mary Poppins (a fit neither geographically, nor chronologically), Bert and the obligatory Penguin find a home on Main Street while characters like Maleficent and Lady Tremaine are trapped in Fantasyland? It is not odd to most Guests to see Cruella near Town Square, but why is Cruella any less 'odd' than Baloo, or Pocahontas?

    As a secondary issue: does it even matter to you? Would you be just as forgiving of Mulan on Main Street, as Mickey Mouse? Everyone's thoughts on these matters are of interest to me.


  • #2
    Re: DL Border Patrol

    I have no problem with any costumed character appearing on Main Street. This probably makes me a bad person.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

    Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DL Border Patrol

      i dont know why, but it doesn't seem to bother me what characters are out on main st. versus, TL, or frontierland. But i know that mary poppins seems more in place on main st than say fantasyland because main st. is more of the time period of mary poppins while fantasyland seems more along the lines of a classic european fantasy look and looks more appropriate for lady tremaine. I always thought it was weird seeing cruella de vil over on main st. i rather see her in the hollywood backlot, mainly because she is a diva!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DL Border Patrol

        I dunno .. I saw Jack Sparrow walking down main street and it was just... Odd.
        All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DL Border Patrol

          Why shouldn't Dumbo be allowed? The circus parade in the movie takes place on a very familiar looking street. Indeed, circus parades wer quite common down Main Streets in days past.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DL Border Patrol

            Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
            I have no problem with any costumed character appearing on Main Street. This probably makes me a bad person.
            Don't be so down on yourself about this issue--I'm confident there are plenty of other reasons why you are a 'bad person' that has nothing to do with your thoughts on this matter!
            Originally posted by lesmisfan View Post
            i dont know why, but it doesn't seem to bother me what characters are out on main st. versus, TL, or frontierland. But i know that mary poppins seems more in place on main st than say fantasyland because main st. is more of the time period of mary poppins while fantasyland seems more along the lines of a classic european fantasy look and looks more appropriate for lady tremaine. I always thought it was weird seeing cruella de vil over on main st. i rather see her in the hollywood backlot, mainly because she is a diva!
            It's hard to really determine, isn't it: this 'feeling' that some characters inherently 'belong' more than others; and yet none really 'belong', in a stricter sense. So, why are some seemingly exempt from criticism, and others more open to it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: DL Border Patrol

              Well certain characters are out of place in other parts of the park

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: DL Border Patrol

                Originally posted by Junthor View Post
                I dunno .. I saw Jack Sparrow walking down main street and it was just... Odd.
                This is what I an trying to see if we can determine: why it would seem 'odd' for Sparrow, and not a Penguin.
                Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                Why shouldn't Dumbo be allowed? The circus parade in the movie takes place on a very familiar looking street. Indeed, circus parades wer quite common down Main Streets in days past.
                Hehe..you'll get no argument from me regarding the pros or cons of Dumbo's absence from Main Street, but he is clearly not there (except possibly during parades). So why is this?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: DL Border Patrol

                  I would not have a problem with rotating different characters on Main Street, especially those that don't have normal homes already within the park or a good photo op area around their respective homes. Main Street is not only a land, its the thoroughfare to the rest of Disneyland

                  The only caveat to this is the Princesses, who should only be on Mainstreet prior to the rope drop. Otherwise they should be in their rightful home at the castle, wishing well, grotto, oasis, etc

                  I do however appreciate seeing Alice by the Matterhorn, Buzz in TL, Woody in BTT, Pooh in CC, etc, and I honestly would not want to lose that to sacrifice moving a character to Main Street

                  A little piece of heaven

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: DL Border Patrol

                    Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                    It's hard to really determine, isn't it: this 'feeling' that some characters inherently 'belong' more than others; and yet none really 'belong', in a stricter sense. So, why are some seemingly exempt from criticism, and others more open to it?

                    I wonder if it is a longevity issue. If you are a classic Character then you can pretty much walk on main street... but if now pretty new... maybe you should stay in one place


                    I dunno... I think it would be weird to see a Pixar character on Main street.

                    Especially from Ratatouille, Giant Rodents have no place on main street
                    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: DL Border Patrol

                      Originally posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
                      Well certain characters are out of place in other parts of the park
                      Certainly so. There are even permanent elements of the Park that are 'out of place' as well. But characters on Main Street always have been an interesting enigma to me. What on Earth would the criteria be for one character's inclusion, and one's absence? Who are the 'Border Guards', and why do some characters have 'diplomatic status'?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: DL Border Patrol

                        Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                        Don't be so down on yourself about this issue--I'm confident there are plenty of other reasons why you are a 'bad person' that has nothing to do with your thoughts on this matter!
                        I also like the snow on the castle.
                        Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

                        Duckland
                        : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: DL Border Patrol

                          Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
                          I also like the snow on the castle.
                          great now I'M a bad person too...


                          Thanks a TON...

                          I was having a good day
                          All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: DL Border Patrol

                            Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
                            I have no problem with any costumed character appearing on Main Street. This probably makes me a bad person.
                            Yeah you just don't get it. :lol: I like you anyways, you're almost as funny as joshualee.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: DL Border Patrol

                              I really don't understand the reason that the Entertainment Department isn't more careful about where it places the characters or how it incorporates them into the Disneyland show.

                              Disneyland is, fundamentally, interactive and improvisational theatre, so the worlds that comprise The Magic Kingdom should be populated with personalities that guests can believe actually live there.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: DL Border Patrol

                                Originally posted by Junthor View Post
                                I wonder if it is a longevity issue. If you are a classic Character then you can pretty much walk on main street... but if now pretty new... maybe you should stay in one place


                                I dunno... I think it would be weird to see a Pixar character on Main street.

                                Especially from Ratatouille, Giant Rodents have no place on main street
                                Interesting..the benefits of 'seniority'? Clearly Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald have their run of the place (even though they have a Land of their own to frolic about in), but Mary Poppins vs. Mulan? Cruella vs. Maleficent? What do you think is the reasoning behind character appearances down Main Street (if indeed there is any 'reasoning')?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: DL Border Patrol

                                  Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                  Why shouldn't Dumbo be allowed? The circus parade in the movie takes place on a very familiar looking street. Indeed, circus parades wer quite common down Main Streets in days past.
                                  I wholeheartedly agree. A Dumbo's Circus Parade of Characters on Main Street would be great.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: DL Border Patrol

                                    Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                    I really don't understand the reason that the Entertainment Department isn't more careful about where it places the characters or how it incorporates them into the Disneyland show.

                                    Disneyland is, fundamentally, interactive and improvisational theatre, so the worlds that comprise The Magic Kingdom should be populated with personalities that guests can believe actually live there.
                                    Main Street USA has always been in my mind first and fore most the entrance to Disneyland where they start reeling you in. It's Main Street Disneyland more than Marceline recreated. It's its own place in my mind.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: DL Border Patrol

                                      Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                                      Interesting..the benefits of 'seniority'? Clearly Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald have their run of the place (even though they have a Land of their own to frolic about in), but Mary Poppins vs. Mulan? Cruella vs. Maleficent? What do you think is the reasoning behind character appearances down Main Street (if indeed there is any 'reasoning')?
                                      Opus can you please post a bunch of pics of Walt and the early characters on Main Street and in the inner lobby ? ? ? Thanks.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: DL Border Patrol

                                        Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                        Yeah you just don't get it. :lol: I like you anyways, you're almost as funny as joshualee.
                                        I DON'T get it! I...just...wanna...have...FUN! Is that so WRONG?

                                        Edit: I'm sorry, Junthor, I didn't mean to drag you down with my character-enjoying, theme-breaking, snow-loving self!
                                        Last edited by EmeralineDragon; 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM.
                                        Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

                                        Duckland
                                        : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X