This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL Border Patrol

In a recent thread by Prag (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...eet-82278.html) involving the addition of small 'touches' to Main Street to compliment the changes made across the Esplanade, a subject was briefly explored that I wanted to expand upon, and get MiceChatters reactions to.

In response to a suggestion that a stage production of Barrie's 'Peter Pan' (a contemporary play in MS's time period) be advertised in the form of printed playbills, it was agreed upon by many to be a welcome added 'detail', as long as Peter Pan the face charater did not venture onto Main Street.

My question to all is this: why are some characters accepted on Main Street and others not? Certainly Mickey and Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald have little business appearing on the streets of a turn-of-the-century midwestern town; but are accepted while, let's say, Dumbo or Pooh is not. What exactly constitutes the criteria used to determine a character's 'relevance' on Main Street? Your ideas?

Why would Mary Poppins (a fit neither geographically, nor chronologically), Bert and the obligatory Penguin find a home on Main Street while characters like Maleficent and Lady Tremaine are trapped in Fantasyland? It is not odd to most Guests to see Cruella near Town Square, but why is Cruella any less 'odd' than Baloo, or Pocahontas?

As a secondary issue: does it even matter to you? Would you be just as forgiving of Mulan on Main Street, as Mickey Mouse? Everyone's thoughts on these matters are of interest to me.

Re: DL Border Patrol

I have no problem with any costumed character appearing on Main Street. This probably makes me a bad person.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

i dont know why, but it doesn't seem to bother me what characters are out on main st. versus, TL, or frontierland. But i know that mary poppins seems more in place on main st than say fantasyland because main st. is more of the time period of mary poppins while fantasyland seems more along the lines of a classic european fantasy look and looks more appropriate for lady tremaine. I always thought it was weird seeing cruella de vil over on main st. i rather see her in the hollywood backlot, mainly because she is a diva!

Comment

I dunno .. I saw Jack Sparrow walking down main street and it was just... Odd.
        All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

Why shouldn't Dumbo be allowed? The circus parade in the movie takes place on a very familiar looking street. Indeed, circus parades wer quite common down Main Streets in days past.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
            I have no problem with any costumed character appearing on Main Street. This probably makes me a bad person.
            Don't be so down on yourself about this issue--I'm confident there are plenty of other reasons why you are a 'bad person' that has nothing to do with your thoughts on this matter!
            Originally posted by lesmisfan View Post
            i dont know why, but it doesn't seem to bother me what characters are out on main st. versus, TL, or frontierland. But i know that mary poppins seems more in place on main st than say fantasyland because main st. is more of the time period of mary poppins while fantasyland seems more along the lines of a classic european fantasy look and looks more appropriate for lady tremaine. I always thought it was weird seeing cruella de vil over on main st. i rather see her in the hollywood backlot, mainly because she is a diva!
            It's hard to really determine, isn't it: this 'feeling' that some characters inherently 'belong' more than others; and yet none really 'belong', in a stricter sense. So, why are some seemingly exempt from criticism, and others more open to it?

Comment

Well certain characters are out of place in other parts of the park

Comment

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
                I dunno .. I saw Jack Sparrow walking down main street and it was just... Odd.
                This is what I an trying to see if we can determine: why it would seem 'odd' for Sparrow, and not a Penguin.
                Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                Why shouldn't Dumbo be allowed? The circus parade in the movie takes place on a very familiar looking street. Indeed, circus parades wer quite common down Main Streets in days past.
                Hehe..you'll get no argument from me regarding the pros or cons of Dumbo's absence from Main Street, but he is clearly not there (except possibly during parades). So why is this?

Comment

I would not have a problem with rotating different characters on Main Street, especially those that don't have normal homes already within the park or a good photo op area around their respective homes. Main Street is not only a land, its the thoroughfare to the rest of Disneyland

The only caveat to this is the Princesses, who should only be on Mainstreet prior to the rope drop. Otherwise they should be in their rightful home at the castle, wishing well, grotto, oasis, etc

I do however appreciate seeing Alice by the Matterhorn, Buzz in TL, Woody in BTT, Pooh in CC, etc, and I honestly would not want to lose that to sacrifice moving a character to Main Street

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                    It's hard to really determine, isn't it: this 'feeling' that some characters inherently 'belong' more than others; and yet none really 'belong', in a stricter sense. So, why are some seemingly exempt from criticism, and others more open to it?

I wonder if it is a longevity issue. If you are a classic Character then you can pretty much walk on main street... but if now pretty new... maybe you should stay in one place

I dunno... I think it would be weird to see a Pixar character on Main street.

Especially from Ratatouille, Giant Rodents have no place on main street
                    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
                      Well certain characters are out of place in other parts of the park
                      Certainly so. There are even permanent elements of the Park that are 'out of place' as well. But characters on Main Street always have been an interesting enigma to me. What on Earth would the criteria be for one character's inclusion, and one's absence? Who are the 'Border Guards', and why do some characters have 'diplomatic status'?

Comment

Don't be so down on yourself about this issue--I'm confident there are plenty of other reasons why you are a 'bad person' that has nothing to do with your thoughts on this matter!
                        I also like the snow on the castle.

Duckland
                        : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

I also like the snow on the castle.
                          great now I'M a bad person too...

Thanks a TON...

I was having a good day

Comment

Yeah you just don't get it. :lol: I like you anyways, you're almost as funny as joshualee.

Comment

I really don't understand the reason that the Entertainment Department isn't more careful about where it places the characters or how it incorporates them into the Disneyland show.

Disneyland is, fundamentally, interactive and improvisational theatre, so the worlds that comprise The Magic Kingdom should be populated with personalities that guests can believe actually live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
                                I wonder if it is a longevity issue. If you are a classic Character then you can pretty much walk on main street... but if now pretty new... maybe you should stay in one place

I dunno... I think it would be weird to see a Pixar character on Main street.

Especially from Ratatouille, Giant Rodents have no place on main street
                                Interesting..the benefits of 'seniority'? Clearly Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald have their run of the place (even though they have a Land of their own to frolic about in), but Mary Poppins vs. Mulan? Cruella vs. Maleficent? What do you think is the reasoning behind character appearances down Main Street (if indeed there is any 'reasoning')?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                  I wholeheartedly agree. A Dumbo's Circus Parade of Characters on Main Street would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                    I really don't understand the reason that the Entertainment Department isn't more careful about where it places the characters or how it incorporates them into the Disneyland show.

Disneyland is, fundamentally, interactive and improvisational theatre, so the worlds that comprise The Magic Kingdom should be populated with personalities that guests can believe actually live there.
                                    Main Street USA has always been in my mind first and fore most the entrance to Disneyland where they start reeling you in. It's Main Street Disneyland more than Marceline recreated. It's its own place in my mind.

Comment

Interesting..the benefits of 'seniority'? Clearly Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald have their run of the place (even though they have a Land of their own to frolic about in), but Mary Poppins vs. Mulan? Cruella vs. Maleficent? What do you think is the reasoning behind character appearances down Main Street (if indeed there is any 'reasoning')?
                                      Opus can you please post a bunch of pics of Walt and the early characters on Main Street and in the inner lobby ? ? ? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                        Yeah you just don't get it. :lol: I like you anyways, you're almost as funny as joshualee.
                                        I DON'T get it! I...just...wanna...have...FUN! Is that so WRONG?

Edit: I'm sorry, Junthor, I didn't mean to drag you down with my character-enjoying, theme-breaking, snow-loving self!
                                        Last edited by EmeralineDragon; 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM.

Duckland

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X