• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brassplayer
    replied
    Re: Reagan Library - Small Disney Connection

Originally posted by DizneeProfitEar View Post
    If you like Walt Disney and what he stood for in moral character and American patriotism, you will see many similarities between him and Reagan. All in all, Reagan was a very interesting man whose life seemed destined to be President.
    The similarities of the "moral character" between Disney and Reagan is debatable. However, this is not a political board, so I'll leave it at that.

Reagan also participated in one of the Anniversary Ceremonies (the 35th? I'm not sure). So there is another connection there.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

A few years ago, The Walt Disney family Foundation loaned the Lilly Belle and several cars to the Reagan Library, which were displayed on a trestle. Michael Broggie gave several talks as well.

It really is a nice museum, although I haven't been there since Air Force 1 arrived.

Leave a comment:

• DizneeProfitEar
    replied

Just an FYI to those interested in going to the Reagan library to visit. You don't even have to pay admission to see the Blaine Gibson bust. It is in the lobby of the library (as of this writing 11-09-07) on the opposite wall of where the gift shop is located.

This is before the entrance area to the library tour (which you pay admission for.) Parking is free there, so if you are really lame or cheap and just want to see a WDW bust, it will only cost you gas money. You can also visit President Reagan's gravesite for free as it is not a part of the paid tour.

Further confirmation to the thread that yes, Reagan was a presenter at Disneyland's opening. I didn't see anything in the museum regarding this, but there were a lot of displays that I might have glossed over too quickly. It seems they also change some things around over time so what is the norm today may not be tomorrow. I do recall seeing a small picture of Nancy Reagan with Mickey Mouse in a display case, though.

If you like Walt Disney and what he stood for in moral character and American patriotism, you will see many similarities between him and Reagan. All in all, Reagan was a very interesting man whose life seemed destined to be President.
    Last edited by DizneeProfitEar; 11-09-2007, 12:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

I was at a wedding in the Simi Valley this past July, and we went to the Reagan museum. I wish I'd spent more time there, it is in such a beautiful location and I found it very interesting. I was with family, but next time I'd make a full day of it.

The cafeteria food was good too.

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

The photo a couple of posts back proves it.

Leave a comment:

• tiggerfan
    replied

Just to resolve the debate, Reagan was there on opening day

Leave a comment:

• Berd
    replied

Very cool. I haven't made it to the Reagan Library yet - it's on my list of places to see.

(FYI, the Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan also displays the Blaine Gibson sculpture of President Ford. Not sure how many other Presidential Libraries/museums do the same.)

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

Originally posted by DizneeProfitEar View Post
    It's a terrific place to visit, as is the Nixon Library.
    The bust looks to be made of chocolate.

Reagan, left, Bob Cummings and Art Linkletter host a live broadcast of the opening of Disneyland in 1955.

(File Photo)

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

Originally posted by aashee View Post

In this case I'm pretty sure Mr. Reagan was there.

Chad
    I believe he was there, I have the DVD of the opening day and I am almost 100% sure, so, this adds to Mr. Reagan's Disney connection.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Wasn't Ronald Reagan at the opening of DL with Art Linkletter??

According to the 50th anniversary show with Steve Martin he was. Then again, colorblind bulldozer drivers ripped out all the trees too in that movie.

In this case I'm pretty sure Mr. Reagan was there.

Chad

Leave a comment:

• Junthor
    replied

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post

I think he was.

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mikeland
    replied

Very nice. I really hope to visit the library some day.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Not sure who was watching the news last night. The Inspector General is a little upset with the Archives of the Regan library because thousands of articles are currently missing. According to the report the records are incomplete so they are not even 100% sure what is missing. The items missing range from gifts given by dignitaries to those sent in by the American public, all of it was being stored at a warehouse, where it was to be cataloged and eventually put on display. My apologies, I did not mean to derail the thread... also Regan hosted the opening to DL... so there is another tie-in.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Interesting. I should make a trip up there some day if just to check it out.

Speaking of Presidential Libraries, the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda -- I suppose the Presidential Library closest to Disneyland -- had an exhibit a couple of summers ago displaying the Lilly Belle. I think that's what it was called -- anyway the famous miniature train that Walt used to ride around in his back yard. What amazed me is the amount of detail he put into this train -- I finally understood why Disneyland is so detailed. That's just the type of man he was.

Leave a comment:

• Westsider
    replied

Great find! I've been wanting to go up and visit the Reagan Library for some time. When I do finally get up there, hopefully this winter, I will have to look for the bust.

Leave a comment:

• Kath2188
    replied

That is interesting!

Leave a comment:

• DizneeProfitEar
    started a topic Reagan Library - Small Disney Connection

Reagan Library - Small Disney Connection

Hi MiceChatters:

I recently went on a trip to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley. I highly recommend that everyone go at least once, regardless of your politics, to learn about and honor the amazing life and accomplishments of our 40th President. A very interesting trip and a cool walkthrough of Air Force One to boot. Reagan Library

Right at the beginning of the tour, they have the original bust of President Reagan sculpted by Blaine Gibson for Walt Disney World's, "Hall of Presidents." It's one of the smaller connections between Reagan and Disney, but thought I'd share the picture with the MiceChatters to enjoy.

-DPE

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X