This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiceAge gets a shout out from Gary Hoffman regarding iasw refurb

Not sure where to put this but since its regarding Disneyland I guess I'll put it here.

Today on KFI am 640 Handel on the News (around 642am) had a segment on iasw and the fact that Americans are getting bigger and Disneyland will need to close isaw for a year to refurb it making the flume deeper and more buoyant boats (not really news here). There was some bad commentary regarding overweight people which are typical for this crew (Handel himself going through gastric bypass a few years back).

A little piece of heaven

Re: MiceAge gets a shout out from Gary Hoffman regarding iasw refurb

We're FAMOUS!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

Ok here is where they got the story from, which is actually in todays LA Times, which mentions Al and MiceAge. Getting a lot of props in the LA times recently!

Heavier-than-anticipated loads have been causing the boats to come to a standstill in two different spots, allowing for an extra-long gander at the Canadian Mounties and the Scandinavian geese, said Al Lutz, whose website MiceAge first reported the refurbishment plans.
      http://www.latimes.com/business/prin...ck=1&cset=true

A little piece of heaven

Comment

After i read this article, my dad and i laughed and suggested that instead of filling the boats of "heavier than anticipated loads" why doesn't the loading crew spread out the loads. For example, instead of having so many large people in one boat, spread the weight out to several boats and maybe that will cause the problem

Comment

Okay, how would they do that? Okay, if you're over 200 pounds, you go in this line...I know several families that are all large people, I don't think they'd appreciate being separated.
          sigpic
          Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
            Okay, how would they do that? Okay, if you're over 200 pounds, you go in this line...I know several families that are all large people, I don't think they'd appreciate being separated.

Good post. Sorry we can't go with Uncle Charlie, he'll have to wait in the single fat rider line. Could get really ugly.

Comment

Actually the News reports broke last Saturday at the New York Times, and here is the story (again) with the Disneyland Spokesperson responce.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...new-82270.html

NOT-SO-SMALL WORLD

Disneyland’s water ride It’s a Small World will be refurbished next year, in part to replace the boats and the winding flume they travel down.

The boats often get stuck, and the reason “isn’t very flattering to the modern American psyche,” writes Al Lutz of the Disney-watching Web site MiceAge. The ride was designed in 1963 for much slimmer people. As Americans have gotten fatter, he wrote, the backups have increased (miceage.com).

A Disney spokesman said Mr. Lutz has it wrong. Repairs have caused a buildup of fiberglass in the flume, decreasing the clearance. The repairs, which will close the ride for 10 months starting in January, “have nothing to do with weight,” he said.

But doesn’t logic dictate that heavier loads would worsen the problem? As several blogs, including MiceAge, The Consumerist (consumerist.com), and CalorieLab.com have apparently done, “you can draw your own conclusions,” the spokesman said.
              Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

The TMQ ("Tuesday Morning Quarterback") column on ESPN's page 2 had a little blurb about it, though it chose to attach a picture of WDW's IASW instead of DL's (I think).

Comment

CNBC just mentioned the "chubby tourists", too.

Comment

This is soooo funny!

I normally listen to KFI on my drive to work but instead this morning I was actually listening to the IASW soundtrack instead!

Thanks, Aashee!

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
                      After i read this article, my dad and i laughed and suggested that instead of filling the boats of "heavier than anticipated loads" why doesn't the loading crew spread out the loads. For example, instead of having so many large people in one boat, spread the weight out to several boats and maybe that will cause the problem
                      I think the reason they like putting a lot of large people in one boat is because it is a pretty funny sight!
                      Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

The story, including Al Lutz's name, was mentioned on the Bob & Tom radio show, too.

Comment

they do try and spread the weight around different boats but it's not always good enough is the point.

darn those "fibreglass shavings" that are filling the water apparently enough to cause the boats to scrape along the bottom and bring the boats to a stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
                            I believe they already do this?
                            HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
                            "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Comment

CNBC reported that Disney is claiming the reconfiguration has nothing to do with heavier tourists.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X