Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

MiceChat Knott's Scary Farm Event

Tickets for MiceChat's annual Knott's Scary Farm meetup are now on sale. Event info can be found here - scaryfarm2017.eventzilla.net
2 of 3 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply.
3 of 3 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Disneyland adds Fastpass to mobile app

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by loungefly97 View Post

However, I am going to make a prediction: The Star Wars attractions will be MaxPass only.
    I agree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by BW1 View Post

Walt was many things, and among them he was an unabashed capitalist. He needed money to fund his dreams, and he was completely unapologetic about the wages or working conditions for his employees. His attitude was my way, or there's the door. He targeted the middle class because it was good business, that's where the money was in the 50s. By the 60s, he had moved past DL and onto urban planning. He would have been happy to cash cow the park to fund Epcot, the same way he ditched animation for live action, and movies for DL. Walt built stuff for Walt - and it turns out we all love it too.

Where I think Walt differs from current management is not profit motive, but what to do with those profits. Walt always parlayed past success into his next big dream. He was also far more obsessive about his brand (thus the cleanliness, the plussing, the quality of story) than current mangment. Nothing I have ever read of Walt indicated he was ever concerned about pricing people out. There were many stories that people who worked for him could not afford to eat in the conmpany cafeteria. What people continually cite about DL being for the people, the stories of how Mickey came to be, Uncle Walt, etc, are largely a product of PR and myth. The real person was far more complex, and actually even more fascinating.
      Thank you for this reminder.

Comment

• I know I'll get hit with some "too offensive" bs, but has our society really gotten this lazy? We are willing to pay money to NOT walk an extra 10 - 15 mins? It doesn't make any sense! People are walking all day in the parks as it is. Why does it matter? I'm a big Disney fan just like everyone else, but it's time to take off the rose-colored Disney glasses and see what's really going on here. We are slowly being robbed with all these ridiculous and unnecessary up charges. This is only the beginning, people. And before anyone says "you don't have to buy it", I know that, we know that... but we shouldn't have to be paying more for something that is already FREE!

BTW If you ever watch the show Black Mirror on Netflix, there's a futuristic episode about businesses up-charging people for their daily activities. It's scary this is the direction Disney is heading.
        Last edited by DreamsofColor; 01-12-2017, 12:14 AM.
        "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

• Disney needs to hire ME...this is what they should do...
          An all new APP should be created that has the ability to monetize every aspect of the park. Want to use that walkway behind Main Street when it's busy? No problem $1 toll to do so charged automatically to your phone for each use. Want 2 fast passes at the same time? Add $5 option 2. Get that fast pass in DCA when still in Disneyland? Show me the money. Prescreening to zip past security lines? Upcharge. Order and pay for your Churro from the back of the line? Extra buck. Last minute dinner reservation? We'll hold a few tables for $20 extra (per guest). Front of the house Fantasmic seats? $200 each. Includes free Churro. Guaranteed entry once parks hit attendance limit? Sure...fork over another $50 each ticket. I have tons of really brilliant, huge ideas. Skies the limit...

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
            ...We are willing to pay money to NOT walk an extra 10 - 15 mins? It doesn't make any sense! People are walking all day in the parks as it is. Why does it matter?
            The attraction of the app isn't the walking it saves. The attraction of the app is the sense of privilege it confers.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The attraction of the app isn't the walking it saves. The attraction of the app is the sense of privilege it confers.
              I disagree. Time is precious at Disneyland (especially for families who can't visit often). If it saves you the walk from, say, Indy to Space Mountain then that's well worth the money.

As to everyone else who is complaining about Disney charging you for this, you should consider the prospect of what it would be like if it were free. Like I said earlier, if everyone opened up their phones the second they got into the park in the morning and got a FastPass for any E-Ticket ride, the FastPasses would run out considerably much quicker. I mean, it's entirely possible that if you got a FastPass for Space Mountain at 10:00 AM you wouldn't be able to use it until the evening. There's a lot more to consider here than just Disney trying to make a quick buck.

Comment

• ^ You're conflating the sales attraction of this upsell with its physical side-benefit. Its sales attraction is its psychological invocation of emotions, including and especially a sense of privilege, advantage and the reassurance of an easy reward -- within the stressful environment of a crowded DLR, where tens of thousands of customers compete for a limited number of rewards.

Google on psychology of the upsell.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-12-2017, 03:21 AM.
                "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

• Originally posted by Pips View Post
                  I just wish they'd reassess the allowable number of people in the park. People are so much bigger, strollers and backpacks are so much bigger, and there are so many more scooters.
                  Sometimes I just look around and say to myself, "Me and Mine are out of here -- I don't want to be trapped in this mess."
                  Exactly

Comment

• Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

I'm glad that you feel happy and blessed and have a life of opportunities. That has nothing to do with this conversation though.

In another thread you used an example of an apartment complex running at reduced capacity but still making revenue because individual rents were higher. There I pointed out why that doesn't work because you still have supply, the demand is out there, and you always have to compete to be the top product in the market. In the residential housing community, the goal is 100%, not 80%. 80% means you have to do what you need to do to draw those last few folks in to reach your goal and wait list people, which creates even more demand. That's what I meant when I said I've been where you want to go.

I do think you should take classes because you don't really seem to grasp business 101. This has been echoed in many threads now. I am not going to spend my time teaching you, so a class would help. So would a library book. When you open yourself up to learning new things and understanding other perspectives, it creates a more informed viewpoint. That applies to all of life, not just Disneyland. You have repeatedly said you want Disneyland to operate under a business model that fails to maximize it's profits, and fails to meet the numbers it projects to make at the beginning of every fiscal year. Failing to meet those numbers means losing out on a bigger budget the following year and cuts to projects that are already in production because the money now has to be reallocated. That's what I don't think you get because you are only concerned with how comfortable it makes you.

You also don't know what you're talking about when you say Disneyland isn't being properly run. You have never run a theme park. I'd bet you've never worked at a theme park. You have no idea what it takes to sit up in TDA, and you have no idea what it's like to deal with 60,000 people during the holidays. You don't know whose input goes into making sure a day at Disneyland goes off successfully. You don't know who deals with what behind the scenes that you never notice. I'm lucky that I spent 7 years of my life as a CM and have some idea of what it takes, though I know that I barely scratch the surface of what it takes to run a theme park. That's why I would never suggest Disney needs to run their park better because I tip my hat to those who are doing a pretty darn good job, in my opinion.

The world that makes you happy deliberately excludes people, and that comes at a cost to others who deserve a world that makes them happy as well. That creates discord, not harmony.

Why am I speaking to you like this? Because this is a message board, a place where people can join together to have discussions. Discussions mean various points of view and various levels of experience are brought to the table. It doesn't mean we simply agree with each other as though our purpose in life is to make each other feel better about themselves. I have no problems learning from others and entertaining opposing viewpoints because I am only one person and I only know so much, so the more exposure I gain, the better person I am. If the only opinions I ever paid attention to were the ones that agreed with me, I'd be pretty boring because then I'd never open myself up to learning new things. If you are uncomfortable with me, then you are probably not used to straight shooters who don't want to waste time sugar coating things. I have never called you names nor suggested anything that I haven't backed with evidence.

It had to do with the conversation because you said:

You have been where I am trying to go.

I am trying to create a world where I can be happy.

I should take business classes so I can understand basic business.

And in your last post you said: The world that makes me happy deliberately excludes people

That is rude if you ask me and I don't really see that as straight shooting as you say.

Residential management does create a false scarcity by raising rents and reducing maintenance costs thereby increasing profits and increasing tenant satisfaction. You may not know this because it is not your business but I encourage you to check out the So Cal housing market if you'd like to get more information on that.

You don't know my educational background, the careers I had or why I am retired, so frankly I find it rude for you to make assumptions like that.

Disney obviously charges as much as they can for their product and balancing crowds is important to them. I know this not only from my personal opinion but from personal conversations with management and security.

What I am suggesting is that Disney not nickel and dime us but rather charge us what the product is worth. Lots more. This would improve the product, reduce the lines to more tolerable levels like before. It's one thing to wait 60 minutes for a ride. It is another to wait 90.

I am willing to pay more to have the experience improve. Just like many others would.

If you say I am trying to "exclude people" why do they increase admission prices at all? Why did they not just leave the prices at $8? Because, if they had, the parks would be overrun. So they raise prices to profit from that demand more and to keep the experience more tolerable and in some cases legal as they have been forced to close the gates due to overcrowding.

I would love a world where everyone gets to enjoy Disneyland as often as they would like. I have taken people who have never been there and seen the joy in their eyes, felt their excitement and I wish more of the children and families that live in the dilapidated motels that surround Disneyland got a chance to visit it.

The reasons they can not have nothing to do with Disney and everything to do with our economy, our families and our world.
                    Last edited by CoalingaLucy; 01-12-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• The other thing that bothers me about these vulgar upcharges is how obvious and blatant they are. There was a time when certain perks were largely invisible. There was a level of modesty and decorum about them. However, they weren't to take away from the general experience of the park. If you could afford the ticket to enter, you were transported to a parallel world, it was egalitarian, polite and discreet.

This kind of upcharging is now taking away or diminishing the general guest experience. You can get a leg up on people once you enter the gate and buy out others enjoyment. I am not a fan of this.

While I myself, and I'm sure many others, can easily afford whatever upcharges they throw, (they are essentially pocket change) I view them as degrading to the experience and spirit of the park. Ostentatious expressions of privilege (cabanas in your face, seizing the Court of Angels, more and more annexing of space along parade routes for "Reserved") are not what Disneyland was nor should be about. Yes, Disneyland itself is a privilege, but once you cross that gate, it was supposed to be a transport to a magical world where you experienced a childlike wonder, not burdened with the reminders of class and division. Walt built a place that you could cater to the elite, but he also understood the vulgarity and brutishness that pushing it in the faces of those who couldn't would not be part of his Magic Kingdom.
                      Last edited by Golden Zephyr; 01-12-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I agree with your sentiment, but don't feel it's for me. Those of you who do it will probably find value in it for the reasons that matter most to you. Personally I don't want to fork over more money to feel privileged.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoalingaLucy View Post

It had to do with the conversation because you said:

You have been where I am trying to go.

I am trying to create a world where I can be happy.

I should take business classes so I can understand basic business.

And in your last post you said: The world that makes you happy deliberately excludes people

That is rude if you ask me and I don't really see that as straight shooting as you say.

Residential management does create a false scarcity by raising rents and reducing maintenance costs thereby increasing profits and increasing tenant satisfaction. You may not know this because it is not your business but I encourage you to check out the So Cal housing market if you'd like to get more information on that.

You don't know my educational background, the careers I had or why I am retired, so frankly I find it rude for you to make assumptions like that.

Disney obviously charges as much as they can for their product and balancing crowds is important to them. I know this not only from my personal opinion but from personal conversations with management and security.

What I am suggesting is that Disney not nickel and dime us but rather charge us what the product is worth. Lots more. This would improve the product, reduce the lines to more tolerable levels like before. It's one thing to wait 60 minutes for a ride. It is another to wait 90.

I am willing to pay more to have the experience improve. Just like many others would.

If you say I am trying to "exclude people" why do they increase admission prices at all? Why did they not just leave the prices at $8? Because, if they had, the parks would be overrun. So they raise prices to profit from that demand more and to keep the experience more tolerable and in some cases legal as they have been forced to close the gates due to overcrowding.

I would love a world where everyone gets to enjoy Disneyland as often as they would like. I have taken people who have never been there and seen the joy in their eyes, felt their excitement and I wish more of the children and families that live in the dilapidated motels that surround Disneyland got a chance to visit it.

The reasons they can not have nothing to do with Disney and everything to do with our economy, our families and our world.
                          I don't need to know your background because I am basing it off of what you have presented here, which is that you lack a basic understanding of business. You have made this clear in more than one thread. Furthermore, you continue to not only contradict yourself (as in the two pieces bolded above, two concepts that cannot exist together), but at this point, you choose not to understand why Disney does what they do and why this affects the people who don't live with the privilege you do. That choice is the most unfortunate part of all.

You haven't demonstrated that you want a park for everyone, you have only demonstrated that you want what makes you alone happy, and bottom line and other guests be damned. Maybe a Disney cruise, or a trip to Malaysia, or somewhere less crowded would be better for you.

And by the way, I have worked in housing as well. It's one of the most difficult industries to work in because it's nearly impossible to meet management's numbers and maintain resident satisfaction numbers. I know how it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by captain View Post

I disagree. Time is precious at Disneyland (especially for families who can't visit often). If it saves you the walk from, say, Indy to Space Mountain then that's well worth the money.

As to everyone else who is complaining about Disney charging you for this, you should consider the prospect of what it would be like if it were free. Like I said earlier, if everyone opened up their phones the second they got into the park in the morning and got a FastPass for any E-Ticket ride, the FastPasses would run out considerably much quicker. I mean, it's entirely possible that if you got a FastPass for Space Mountain at 10:00 AM you wouldn't be able to use it until the evening. There's a lot more to consider here than just Disney trying to make a quick buck.
                            I don't think you will be alone in buying this upsell, so you may not benefit from it as much as you hope.
                            This reminds me of "bundling" by cable companies. For now they've thrown in the photo pass. We don't know what's yet to come. "Basic service" eventually becomes undesirable and most people pay extra for the bundled services. Which is the "now" way of doing business, but it's a theme park we're talking about here, not phone or television, and it gets fatiguing trying to sort through the BS. I just want to buy a ticket and go have fun.

Comment

• I'm just over here wondering when the freaking park wifi is coming?

Comment

• Originally posted by StickyFrenchToast View Post
                                I'm just over here wondering when the freaking park wifi is coming?
                                Haha not soon enough. I'd appreciate it just to keep my battery from draining so fast because it's constantly searching for a signal. I know I can switch my phone to airplane mode, but then I can't communicate with friends or family as needed. I don't need apps to keep myself entertained; I like talking to people.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X