Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucas Museum to be Built in Los Angeles

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lucas Museum to be Built in Los Angeles

    It was announced yesterday that the $1 billion Lucas Museum of Narrative Art would be built in LA's Exposition Park, expected to open in 2020. With the construction of Star Wars Land at DL this makes the LA area the center of the Star Wars universe with the potential to draw many more Star Wars fans to Anaheim.

    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

  • #2
    This is great news. I would be even more excited if I didn't have to wait several years for this to open.

    Comment


    • #3
      Plans look gorgeous. Thanks for posting.
      http://maryskitchen.org/

      Comment


      • #4
        Awesome news!!! Yesssss!

        Comment


        • #5
          I feel so bad to people who live out of CA or DC we get all the great attractions and museum's
          Happy Halloween!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
            I feel so bad to people who live out of CA or DC we get all the great attractions and museum's
            That's not really true, in many ways LA had been lacking in great museums for a city of its size and importance and many other big cities have many great attractions and better museums. But LA is extremely young as far as great cities go, so I have no doubt that it will continue to grow and continue to add even more in the future. One thing that LA has going for it with these types of projects is that Angelinos usually want them and are pretty welcoming of big construction projects and major attractions. While in many other cities they seem to always face public opposition to doing almost anything. In any case it's good for LA and its tourism industry and looks like it will be fun to visit. I'm also glad it's coming because I think it really belongs in LA.
            The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
            -Walt Disney

            Comment


            • #7
              All signs point to me just moving to California lol
              Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.











              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post

                That's not really true, in many ways LA had been lacking in great museums for a city of its size and importance and many other big cities have many great attractions and better museums. But LA is extremely young as far as great cities go, so I have no doubt that it will continue to grow and continue to add even more in the future. One thing that LA has going for it with these types of projects is that Angelinos usually want them and are pretty welcoming of big construction projects and major attractions. While in many other cities they seem to always face public opposition to doing almost anything. In any case it's good for LA and its tourism industry and looks like it will be fun to visit. I'm also glad it's coming because I think it really belongs in LA.
                LA is not lacking in great museums: The Getty Museum, the Getty Villa, LACMA, MOCA, the Huntington, the Norton Simon, the Broad...

                LA has been considered an art capital as far back as the 90's because of its art schools (e.g., Cal Arts), gallery scene, its collecting community (e.g., Norton Simon, Eli Broad, etc.), and the large number of young artists who set up shop here, many of whom went on to have remarkable, international careers. There are only two art capitals in the US, LA and New York.

                In 2009 at the Pompidou (Paris), the international art community more or less validated LA's status as an art capital with an exhibition. The title of the exhibition was "Los Angeles 1955 -1985: Birth of an Art Capital." That pretty much says it all.

                Since 1985, LA's stature as an art capital has grown to rival that of New York, largely because of the work of the Getty Museum, Michael Govan at LACMA, Eli Broad with his Broad Museum, and all the young LA artists who continue to make their mark on the international art scene. It is a great time to be in LA if you are a collector of contemporary art.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Surprise me...that the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art , is not being built up north.
                  But glad it it would be ,in the LA area

                  I always enjoy LA's Exposition Park for there museums:
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow this IS exciting. I remember hearing it was going to Chicago and didn't think about it anymore. Now knowing its going to be 20 mins away is pretty crazy. But yeah it sounds like its going to be great. And L.A./O.C. will turn into Star Wars Mecca with the museum to visit the original props and art work and SWL to immersed in the experience. And opening around the same time is great. Star Wars fans could literally make it a Star Wars vacation by coming to see a SW flick in L.A., preferably the Chinese theater where it premiered, hit the museum and then Disneyland. A pretty great experience for fans! And us locals will have it all in our back yard.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is quite a coup for L.A. indeed. And the perfect fit for a museum like this. With the L.A./Hollywood region being the original mecca of film production, not to mention that Lucas is a graduate of neighboring USC, Exposition Park is perfect. With the refurbishment of the Coliseum, the new arena going in next door, and the surrounding neighborhoods being revitalized, Lucas's contribution will continue to enhance the area.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just a quick encouragement to do a Google search and read about this upcoming museum. It won't be all Star Wars. It'll also be a place for George Lucas's personal collection, which apparently he is an avid art collector, with things like Norman Rockwells. Anyhow, very nice addition to the So Cal museum world.
                        Last edited by Pips; 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pips View Post
                          Just a quick encouragement to do a Google search and read about this upcoming museum. It won't be all Star Wars. It'll also be a place for George Lucas's personal collection, which apparently he is an avid art collector, with things like Norman Rockwells. Anyhow, very nice addition to the So Cal museum world.
                          Yeah I read that too which is great but lets be honest most will be there for Star Wars. But it all sounds great though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And let's not forget that the California Science Museum which is also in Exposition Park, just scored the final components (flight worthy solid rocket boosters) to complete what will be the only 100% authentic Space Shuttle stack in the world. The Lucas Museum will fit right in...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Fctiger View Post

                              Yeah I read that too which is great but lets be honest most will be there for Star Wars. But it all sounds great though.
                              Oh, for sure most will be there for Star Wars. But it's cool that there is a mix of things, so there is cultural enrichment back and forth. Star War fans will be exposed to other art, and people like me who might visit for the other art will come away with a better appreciation of all things Star Wars. As you said, it all sounds great!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X