Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

When do you think the rest of DCA 1.0 will be fixed? What would you like to change?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] When do you think the rest of DCA 1.0 will be fixed? What would you like to change?

The expansion and remodel of DCA several years back did wonders when it came to fixing some of the worst parts of the original DCA. The hideous entrance is now entirely gone, parts of Paradise Pier got a much needed makeover, and we got several new attractions and even a new land to help address the low attraction problem. However, areas like Hollywood Land remained basically untouched, and Paradise Pier really only received half the attention it needed to.

For a while, there were rumors that a "Phase 2" remodel was in the works, but even whispers of those rumors seem to have pretty much stopped. There have been some small changes and improvements to DCA since it was "re-launched" back in 2012, such as the reworking of Luigi's Flying Tires and the conversion of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield. But on the whole, things haven't changed much, and what has changed failed to address the biggest remaining problems of DCA 1.0.

There's still plenty that needs to be addressed:

Hollywoodland
    • Award Wieners: The seating area could use some work since it directly reflects the tacky feeling that so many people complained about in DCA 1.0.
    • Hollywood Backlot: This area suffers from a few issues. Besides being home to two (sometimes three) buildings that go basically unused, this area could us a lot of work visually. Lots of room for improvement and a good spot for new additions. Admittedly this will be tricky to work with due to the presence of Monster's Inc.
    • Hyperion Theater: There is so much potential for improvement here. The facade could be much more extravagant and be the focal point of the land. The queue area could be brought inside and the inside of the theater itself could use some more thematic touches.

Paradise Pier
    • Shops in Eastern Paradise Pier: This is definitely not a major fix, but the shops and restaurants in the Eastern part of Paradise Pier could use a bit of attention. They still embody a bit of the tacky atmosphere from opening day Paradise Pier.
    • California Screamin': From the queue and station structure to the "scream shields," there's still a lot that needs to be done to bring this ride in line with the new direction for Paradise Pier.
    • King Triton's Carousel: At one time during the remodel, the carousel was planned to receive an elaborate new structure, but unfortunately this fell through, leaving the Carousel intact and now out of place
    • Mickey's Fun Wheel: This is another low priority fix, but a fix nonetheless. When it comes to the queue, there's room for improvement.
    • South-western Shops: The shops directly across from Mickey's Fun Wheel received some amount of exterior attention, but (in my opinion) that's not enough and there's much more they could do here to bring it up to par.
    • Jumpin' Jellyfish: Unfortunately, this eyesore didn't get touched at all, and it's now a shrine to the one of the ugliest portions of DCA.
    • Goofy's Sky School: This was obviously mean to be a quick fix, but it still doesn't exemplify the quality artistry and design that Disney is known for.
    • Corn Dog Castle: I have to admit, this one has kind of grown on me, but it still doesn't fit so it definitely should be addressed. I wouldn't mind at all if they moved it in its entirety to a portion of Cars Landand started a sort of sub-land that wasn't based off the movie.
    • Seaside Souvenirs (name?): I still feel like this shop is kind of "meh."
    • Golden Zephyr: Admittedly it doesn't need much attention, but I think it would be nice if it looked a little less industrial in the queue.
    • Pet peeve: Please, please repaint the rotunda on the Mermaid facade. The colors... gross.

Personally, I would love the see all of these things addressed. I feel Like Paradise Pier is almost worse off now than it was before since it almost seems less unified now. As a whole, Paradise Pier is still one of the weakest lands, which I think is unfortunate because it has a lot of potential. I would like to see many of the current offerings receive refurbs to bring them in line with the new vision. I would like to see Goofy's Sky School removed in favor of (or converted into) a dark ride and I would like to see Jumpin' Jellyfish moved near Soarin' and converted into a parachute ride (maybe themed to smoke jumpers). Over in Hollywoodland I personally would like to see the "how movies are made" aspect ditched. It's not an interesting concept for a theme park (anymore, at least).

Something else that I would like to see eventually is the removal of Bug's Land. It takes up a lot of valuable real estate and I feel like it wouldn't be hard to replace it with something better. Fortunately I think a lot of the rides can be salvaged for other areas. Flik's Flyers could be converted into something with planes and moved to Grizzly Peak Airfield, Drive "Em Buggies could be rethemed to fit in Cars Land, and maybe Heimlich's Train could become a mini Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland over in Grizzly Peak.

I feel like DCA is mostly fine now. But the one improvement I'd like to see is to convert the Hollywoodland buildings from intentionally looking like set facades, and make them look like proper buildings.

On a side note... I wonder what will happen to all the beautiful palms and foliage around the ToT building? Those won't fit with the 'oil rig' theme of GotG so I'm guessing they'll get ripped out, which would be a terrible shame.

Comment

Forget about DCA ever improving after the Tower of Terror turns into Guardians... All the effort made is going to waste after we'll have a Marvel dumping ground next to a highly-themed Buena Vista Street.. and who knows whatatrocitiess they will continue to commit.

Comment

I'd love to see Hollywoodland get an appropriate Hollywoodland attraction or two as well as updated buildings that look less like facades. I think most of Paradise Pier is fine as it actually looks a lot like seaside amusement parks (yes, part of that means a bit tacky), but I would like to see the Screamin' queue get a little character and I'd really love to see the carousel drop some of the cheesiness and even maybe get a brass ring element.

Honestly, I feel like with Marvel going in, the whole concept of it having to do anything with California is heading out the window soon anyway, so maybe it's time to look at DCA 3.0, AKA Everything is an IP.

Comment

Just give us what they planned to do:
          A classier Hollywood area
          Click image for larger version  Name:	hollywoodtn_disneyrendering.jpg Views:	1 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	8487572

Paradise Pier with more boardwalk and no ugly blue tubes on Screamin Click image for larger version  Name:	BSC1-072209-AVP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	8487573
          This Space For Rent

Comment

I think the GOTG theme is the gateway to Marvel, so it doesn't bother me that it doesn't fit the Hollywood theme. It's meant to draw you into an area, like Astro Orbitor is meant to draw you into Tomorrowland, not extend the Main Street theme.

I'd like to see an update to Paradise Pier to get rid of the cartoony elements. I can't think right now of what I'd like to see there instead, but the muscle beach throwback theme isn't something I'm so attached to that I'd be upset with them going for something more modern.

Comment

Isn't the point of the tubes to keep neighboring homes and businesses from hearing people all day and night? You could re-theme them but you can't eliminate them.
              My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

Comment

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
                I think the GOTG theme is the gateway to Marvel, so it doesn't bother me that it doesn't fit the Hollywood theme. It's meant to draw you into an area, like Astro Orbitor is meant to draw you into Tomorrowland, not extend the Main Street theme.

I'd like to see an update to Paradise Pier to get rid of the cartoony elements. I can't think right now of what I'd like to see there instead, but the muscle beach throwback theme isn't something I'm so attached to that I'd be upset with them going for something more modern.
                Personally, I would've loved to see Hollywood land be redone into a more authentic, charming 1930's hollywood experience. Bug's Land should've been the gateway to a Marvel land if anything. None of that matters now, since the signature HWL attraction is being changed.
                KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post

Personally, I would've loved to see Hollywood land be redone into a more authentic, charming 1930's hollywood experience. Bug's Land should've been the gateway to a Marvel land if anything. None of that matters now, since the signature HWL attraction is being changed.
                  I would have liked that too. I think the back corner, where an empty restaurant sits, would have been a great place to put in a replica Chassen's or Brown Derby. When they had cancelled swing dancing after the Plaza Gardens closed for construction, I thought they should have done that and moved the swing dancing there.

Classic Hollywood history is one of my favorites, and I think Disney could have done a lot of really good work with that theme.

Comment

At this point I want them to remove Hollywoodland and retheme it to all immersive marvel. I don't want a Swiss cheese marvel area. Give it a big budget and let it rip. Since they're already redoing the tower it will look out of place anyways.
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

So many areas of CA still need some help. I love the mine train idea along the Grizzy River, but not sure how possible that even is since it was built without one. The trail area across from it could definitely be part of the train ride's queue if they ever did. I still think Grizzly River should have, oh I don't know, some Grizzlies in it! LOL It would be super easy for Disney to just add two or three bears on that attraction. Put a couple on some rocks at the beginning before the first drop and then maybe put a giant one on it's hind legs threatening the rafts as they float by in the bat cave.

Hollywoodland is kind of a question mark. Is GotG going to be the gateway to Marvel Land or the backdrop? If it's the former then I think Hollywoodland could benefit from a nice E-ticket type of ride in the WWTBAM building. Maybe a west coast version of the Great Movie Ride or something along those lines. And then possibly a new Mickey & Disney 3D movie for the Muppet theater like Philharmagic or something. If GotG is the latter, then the whole Hollywoodland has tons of real estate in the former Muppet theater, the WWTBAM building, unfortunately the Monsters Inc building and even the Hyperion Theater location if need be. And if GotG is sort of an entrance to the new Marvel Land, maybe the Bug's Life area would eventually be bulldozed and also become part of that area as well. It could still be for the kiddies even, just Marvel themed instead.

Comment

Quite frankly, this park can remain untouched for the next 5-10 years for all I care. There are bigger problems to fix over in DL with all of Tomorrowland that have needed fixing waaaaay before DCA!!!

Comment

I would love to see a proper Hollywoodland. Not a marvel extension land!

The scream tubes will be kept whether some people hated regardless. It going to stay because of close proximity to residential zoning.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                            So many areas of CA still need some help. I love the mine train idea along the Grizzy River, but not sure how possible that even is since it was built without one. The trail area across from it could definitely be part of the train ride's queue if they ever did. I still think Grizzly River should have, oh I don't know, some Grizzlies in it! LOL It would be super easy for Disney to just add two or three bears on that attraction. Put a couple on some rocks at the beginning before the first drop and then maybe put a giant one on it's hind legs threatening the rafts as they float by in the bat cave.

Hollywoodland is kind of a question mark. Is GotG going to be the gateway to Marvel Land or the backdrop? If it's the former then I think Hollywoodland could benefit from a nice E-ticket type of ride in the WWTBAM building. Maybe a west coast version of the Great Movie Ride or something along those lines. And then possibly a new Mickey & Disney 3D movie for the Muppet theater like Philharmagic or something. If GotG is the latter, then the whole Hollywoodland has tons of real estate in the former Muppet theater, the WWTBAM building, unfortunately the Monsters Inc building and even the Hyperion Theater location if need be. And if GotG is sort of an entrance to the new Marvel Land, maybe the Bug's Life area would eventually be bulldozed and also become part of that area as well. It could still be for the kiddies even, just Marvel themed instead.
                            Weren't they planning on leveling much of that area and putting in a coaster instead? Or was that expected to go behind GotG?

Comment

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

Weren't they planning on leveling much of that area and putting in a coaster instead? Or was that expected to go behind GotG?
                              I honestly am not sure. I thought the most recent rumor had the coaster being behind GotG.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X