Are Disneyland visitors scalping Fastpasses?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whiteness
    RoofRatter

• Feb 2017

News Are Disneyland visitors scalping Fastpasses?

Some theme park fans visiting China set off a social media tiff this week by tweeting photos of what they said were scalpers selling Fastpasses at Shanghai Disneyland. Allegedly, people have been collecting Fastpasses on the new park’s most popular rides, such as Soarin’, and selling them for about $15 a pair to people who couldn’t get the ride reservations on their own.

Also at the Walt Disney World Resort, Disney eliminated paper Fastpasses and now ties return times to your theme park ticket, making the type of selling allegedly going on in Shanghai impossible. But Disneyland still uses paper Fastpass tickets - at least, for now - so why hasn’t someone tried the same thing here?

It might be that few attractions in Anaheim see all their Fastpasses go away early in the day, the way they often do at the Shanghai park, which has only about half the number of attractions as Disneyland. Shanghai’s a new market for Disney, too, so presumably visitors there aren’t as familiar with Fastpass and might not know how to use the system the way that Disney fans in America do.

Or maybe people are selling Fastpasses here, but keeping it hidden enough not to be caught. Regardless, I know this – if Disney sees that a lot of people are willing to pay a lot of money for Fastpasses, the only party that Disney legally will allow to sell those Fastpasses will be ... Disney.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/d...isneyland.html

What's next? Will people start renting space on blankets or something?
    Last edited by whiteness; 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM.
    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.
  • Meville
    I'm from Canada eh!
    • Nov 2008

Stupid is as stupid does.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

• Beavis
      MiceChatter
      • Feb 2015

Scalping tickets isn't the easiest activity in the world to hide. I imagine Disney has a pretty good eye for finding people trying to sell unauthorized items within the park and shuts it down relatively quickly. And even if they didn't discover it themselves, someone would likely complain to them in fairly short order. It would be a big risk to take, anyway, considering just to attempt it you'd have to pay your own gate admission for the chance to maybe scalp a fastpass every couple hours.

You could probably eek out a little money doing it. But considering the investment to even try and the risk of something like a long-term park ban, it's likely just not worth the risk. Especially if you valued your time invested at all.

Comment

• chadwpalm
        Disney Defender
        • Oct 2013

If demand was high enough then there could be a "market" for it, but most attractions at DLR don't run out of FP's unless it's a really really busy day and even then it doesn't happen until later in the day on a hand full of attractions. Since FP's are tied to tickets, it's not like you can make a killing since you can only grab one pass every 2 hours per park ticket, sometimes less if demand is low, but if demand is low nobody would purchase one anyway since they can go get their own.

I'm not sure about Shanghai as I don't know how quickly passes run out there. When RSR was independent of the DCA system I'm honestly surprised more people didn't try to scalp fastpasses, but like Beavis said above, it isn't an easy activity to hide. I think the Maxpass will be a test system for eventual all-digital fastpasses later down the road anyway. And when it's tested and successful here it will probably be integrated into Shanghai and the scalping days will be over.

Comment

• lalolovesme
          MiceChatter
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
          Scalping tickets isn't the easiest activity in the world to hide. I imagine Disney has a pretty good eye for finding people trying to sell unauthorized items within the park and shuts it down relatively quickly.
          Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. Unfortunately, Disney chooses not to enforce many of its own rules.

I had someone try to sell me WoC FPs several years ago.

Comment

• Blackness
            Banned User
            • Feb 2015

I am not sure there is an actual market for FP's Maybe RSR you could get maybe $5 for a FP and even then is it worth potentially getting kicked out of the park or your AP pulled for? Like others have said it;s rare attractions sell out of FP until very late in the day. I could see this happening for the first year or of SWL as those lines will be oppressive. I have often gotten FP's for certain rides and then we end up leaving before the time allotted. When this happens I try and go by the line of the attraction on the way out and find a family of four preferably out of towners and give then the FP's so they can get out of line and return when the wait would be cut short.

Comment

• amyuilani
              Banned User
              • Jul 2008

There would have to be something special about what someone was trying to sell me for me to even consider it. There would also have to be other products out there like it to make me think it's not a scam.

Comment

• Berry Princess
                Perfect Insanity
                • Jan 2005

Even though WDW does things how they do for FPs and reservations, I have seen many articles warning people of "services" offering to get it all set up for you. Its more the restaurants though. Which is the reason why if one was to try to get a last minute spot on the day of you might have more luck at times if these people can't sell their times they have collected. I am betting this is part of why Disney started telling you if you don't cancel or show up its $10 per person charged to you. So with that those people people snatching all these times up have to cancel for everything they haven't sold or get a charge for each one. Which things like this are not ok IMO. IF by chance people were to try to sell FPs here I would hope people are smart enough to not do it. As it is, we ran into a family a bit ago that thought you had to pay to use FP so they weren't using it. Its halfway through the day at this point but they had never been and had just been to Universal the day before so they assumed it was the same as there. Once explained she was happy to know they could use it and for the tips given. If its an issue in China, sadly, it doesn't surprise me and yet since there has been a Disney park there for so many years now before this last one you would think they would know its free. Yet you will always have those that don't care and will pay for things no matter if its free or not (look at those willing to pay for Maxpass).

I had someone try to sell me WoC FPs several years ago.
                lalolovesme, where they the ones from the FP machine or from a meal? I can see if someone can't use them and paid for a meal trying to do this but if free SMH. I think I would have let a CM know though either way.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

• Stormy
                  Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

At this point, someone would have to be a fool to pay for a DLR FP.

Now, once SWL opens, it may be a different story!
                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• whiteness
                    RoofRatter

• Feb 2017

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                    At this point, someone would have to be a fool to pay for a DLR FP.

Now, once SWL opens, it may be a different story!
                    I wouldn't be surprised if you had to get a wristband with a return time just to get into SWL.

The thing is, a wristband cannot be easily removed and re-sold, so...

Comment

• lalolovesme
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Berry Princess View Post
                      lalolovesme, where they the ones from the FP machine or from a meal? I can see if someone can't use them and paid for a meal trying to do this but if free SMH. I think I would have let a CM know though either way.
                      I don't know. I already had FPs, so I just said no and kept walking.

Comment

• Pips
                        Mice Chatter
                        • Jul 2014

This is kind of funny to me. People always look at me cross-eyed and like I'm trying to give them a counterfeit $20 even when I offer somebody an unused FP for free, that I won't be using. I can't even imagine the look on their face if i tried to sell it to them!

Comment

• Berry Princess
                          Perfect Insanity
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                          This is kind of funny to me. People always look at me cross-eyed and like I'm trying to give them a counterfeit $20 even when I offer somebody an unused FP for free, that I won't be using. I can't even imagine the look on their face if i tried to sell it to them!
                          So true. We have been there as well when we decided to leave earlier then we thought we would and tried to give them to people. Which we then get looked at like we are nuts or strangers trying to give them candy and lure them in a van. LOL We have had a few that did take them but for the most part its like people are scared to do so for some reason.
                          A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

• elle317
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Aug 2009

I haven't been to the park for a couple years now but I never saw anyone trying to sell them. We have had people give them to us though, which is always great. And, if we find we can't use a FP we give them away too. I hate to see them go to waste. Sometimes people do give you a funny look and silently walk away. However, I did have a girl literally hug me for giving her 2 FPs for Space Mountain.

Comment

• Stormy
                              Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Originally posted by Berry Princess View Post

So true. We have been there as well when we decided to leave earlier then we thought we would and tried to give them to people. Which we then get looked at like we are nuts or strangers trying to give them candy and lure them in a van. LOL We have had a few that did take them but for the most part its like people are scared to do so for some reason.

Really? I haven't been offered nor tried to give away a FP in ages, but I always thought of it as no biggie either way. It used to be, if not common, then at least not rare. Too bad we've become so suspicious of each other.

I can't figure out what someone thinks that little slip of paper might 'do' that makes it so 'dangerous'!
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• whiteness
                                RoofRatter

• Feb 2017

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Really? I haven't been offered nor tried to give away a FP in ages, but I always thought of it as no biggie either way. It used to be, if not common, then at least not rare. Too bad we've become so suspicious of each other.

I can't figure out what someone thinks that little slip of paper might 'do' that makes it so 'dangerous'!
                                Maybe some worry that they might be "caught" using some else's pass? Actually, I can almost see why some folks might be cautious, considering how serious. Disney is about detecting "sharing" of multiday passes and such. Everybody can see them taking people's photos at the gate, Why risk getting thrown out of the park, or worse, just to save a few minutes queuing in the standby line?

Obviously, we all know that won't happen, but we are more familiar with Disney's policies and procedures than the average tourist.

Comment

• amyuilani
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Maybe some worry that they might be "caught" using some else's pass? Actually, I can almost see why some folks might be cautious, considering how serious. Disney is about detecting "sharing" of multiday passes and such. Everybody can see them taking people's photos at the gate, Why risk getting thrown out of the park, or worse, just to save a few minutes queuing in the standby line?

Obviously, we all know that won't happen, but we are more familiar with Disney's policies and procedures than the average tourist.
                                  I don't think that's an issue because fast passes have no value or ownership. You don't have to match a fastpass to the originating main gate pass to redeem it.

no, this is someone taking advantage of a brand new park and the likelihood that the visitors don't know enough about Disney to know better.

Comment

• whiteness
                                    RoofRatter

• Feb 2017

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

I don't think that's an issue because fast passes have no value or ownership. You don't have to match a fastpass to the originating main gate pass to redeem it.
                                    Yes, I agree that most people reading this thread know that a paper fastpass never gets scanned by Disney or otherwise checked to make sure that the person using it is the same person whose gate pass was used to request it.

But, I suppose Disney could theoretically do this if they wanted to, so it is not a completely unreasonable thing to worry about, if one didn't know any better.

Besides, some people just always "follow the rules", and feel uncomfortable "breaking" them, even in a seemingly trivial way like this.

Comment

• RPaul
                                      Banned User
                                      • Feb 2017

This is distinctly a Chinese problem. Shanghai Disneyland has had issues of vandalizing, guests trampling the flowers, guests "relieving" themselves in the bushes, fake Mickey and Minnie costumes in their Downtown Disney, etc. It has mostly to do with the culture there. In all honesty, I'm surprised the Fastpasses aren't just counterfeit. Building a park in mainland China was a mistake imo but I understand from a profit viewpoint. But then again, wasn't it said Shanghai Disneyland was under performing? They should've build in Middle America, Australia, or another one in Europe, but that's a discussion for another time.

Don't expect these problems here at Disneyland, though, anymore than they already happen.

Comment

• AstroJeff
                                        Just Here For the Snacks
                                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by elle317 View Post
                                        I haven't been to the park for a couple years now but I never saw anyone trying to sell them. We have had people give them to us though, which is always great. And, if we find we can't use a FP we give them away too. I hate to see them go to waste. Sometimes people do give you a funny look and silently walk away. However, I did have a girl literally hug me for giving her 2 FPs for Space Mountain.
                                        A couple of months ago we found three Indiana Jones Fastpasses on a table outside of Jolly Holiday. Someone had written "Please use" on them. So we did--and thanks to whoever was so thoughtful.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X