Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Are Disneyland visitors scalping Fastpasses?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Are Disneyland visitors scalping Fastpasses?

Some theme park fans visiting China set off a social media tiff this week by tweeting photos of what they said were scalpers selling Fastpasses at Shanghai Disneyland. Allegedly, people have been collecting Fastpasses on the new park’s most popular rides, such as Soarin’, and selling them for about $15 a pair to people who couldn’t get the ride reservations on their own.

Also at the Walt Disney World Resort, Disney eliminated paper Fastpasses and now ties return times to your theme park ticket, making the type of selling allegedly going on in Shanghai impossible. But Disneyland still uses paper Fastpass tickets - at least, for now - so why hasn’t someone tried the same thing here?

It might be that few attractions in Anaheim see all their Fastpasses go away early in the day, the way they often do at the Shanghai park, which has only about half the number of attractions as Disneyland. Shanghai’s a new market for Disney, too, so presumably visitors there aren’t as familiar with Fastpass and might not know how to use the system the way that Disney fans in America do.

Or maybe people are selling Fastpasses here, but keeping it hidden enough not to be caught. Regardless, I know this – if Disney sees that a lot of people are willing to pay a lot of money for Fastpasses, the only party that Disney legally will allow to sell those Fastpasses will be ... Disney.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/d...isneyland.html

What's next? Will people start renting space on blankets or something?
    Last edited by whiteness; 02-22-2017, 03:10 PM.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Scalping tickets isn't the easiest activity in the world to hide. I imagine Disney has a pretty good eye for finding people trying to sell unauthorized items within the park and shuts it down relatively quickly. And even if they didn't discover it themselves, someone would likely complain to them in fairly short order. It would be a big risk to take, anyway, considering just to attempt it you'd have to pay your own gate admission for the chance to maybe scalp a fastpass every couple hours.

You could probably eek out a little money doing it. But considering the investment to even try and the risk of something like a long-term park ban, it's likely just not worth the risk. Especially if you valued your time invested at all.

Comment

If demand was high enough then there could be a "market" for it, but most attractions at DLR don't run out of FP's unless it's a really really busy day and even then it doesn't happen until later in the day on a hand full of attractions. Since FP's are tied to tickets, it's not like you can make a killing since you can only grab one pass every 2 hours per park ticket, sometimes less if demand is low, but if demand is low nobody would purchase one anyway since they can go get their own.

I'm not sure about Shanghai as I don't know how quickly passes run out there. When RSR was independent of the DCA system I'm honestly surprised more people didn't try to scalp fastpasses, but like Beavis said above, it isn't an easy activity to hide. I think the Maxpass will be a test system for eventual all-digital fastpasses later down the road anyway. And when it's tested and successful here it will probably be integrated into Shanghai and the scalping days will be over.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
          Scalping tickets isn't the easiest activity in the world to hide. I imagine Disney has a pretty good eye for finding people trying to sell unauthorized items within the park and shuts it down relatively quickly.
          Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. Unfortunately, Disney chooses not to enforce many of its own rules.

I had someone try to sell me WoC FPs several years ago.

Comment

I am not sure there is an actual market for FP's Maybe RSR you could get maybe $5 for a FP and even then is it worth potentially getting kicked out of the park or your AP pulled for? Like others have said it;s rare attractions sell out of FP until very late in the day. I could see this happening for the first year or of SWL as those lines will be oppressive. I have often gotten FP's for certain rides and then we end up leaving before the time allotted. When this happens I try and go by the line of the attraction on the way out and find a family of four preferably out of towners and give then the FP's so they can get out of line and return when the wait would be cut short.

Comment

There would have to be something special about what someone was trying to sell me for me to even consider it. There would also have to be other products out there like it to make me think it's not a scam.

Comment

Even though WDW does things how they do for FPs and reservations, I have seen many articles warning people of "services" offering to get it all set up for you. Its more the restaurants though. Which is the reason why if one was to try to get a last minute spot on the day of you might have more luck at times if these people can't sell their times they have collected. I am betting this is part of why Disney started telling you if you don't cancel or show up its $10 per person charged to you. So with that those people people snatching all these times up have to cancel for everything they haven't sold or get a charge for each one. Which things like this are not ok IMO. IF by chance people were to try to sell FPs here I would hope people are smart enough to not do it. As it is, we ran into a family a bit ago that thought you had to pay to use FP so they weren't using it. Its halfway through the day at this point but they had never been and had just been to Universal the day before so they assumed it was the same as there. Once explained she was happy to know they could use it and for the tips given. If its an issue in China, sadly, it doesn't surprise me and yet since there has been a Disney park there for so many years now before this last one you would think they would know its free. Yet you will always have those that don't care and will pay for things no matter if its free or not (look at those willing to pay for Maxpass).

I had someone try to sell me WoC FPs several years ago.
                lalolovesme, where they the ones from the FP machine or from a meal? I can see if someone can't use them and paid for a meal trying to do this but if free SMH. I think I would have let a CM know though either way.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

At this point, someone would have to be a fool to pay for a DLR FP.

Now, once SWL opens, it may be a different story!
                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                    At this point, someone would have to be a fool to pay for a DLR FP.

Now, once SWL opens, it may be a different story!
                    I wouldn't be surprised if you had to get a wristband with a return time just to get into SWL.

The thing is, a wristband cannot be easily removed and re-sold, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Princess View Post
                      lalolovesme, where they the ones from the FP machine or from a meal? I can see if someone can't use them and paid for a meal trying to do this but if free SMH. I think I would have let a CM know though either way.
                      I don't know. I already had FPs, so I just said no and kept walking.

Comment

This is kind of funny to me. People always look at me cross-eyed and like I'm trying to give them a counterfeit $20 even when I offer somebody an unused FP for free, that I won't be using. I can't even imagine the look on their face if i tried to sell it to them!

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                          This is kind of funny to me. People always look at me cross-eyed and like I'm trying to give them a counterfeit $20 even when I offer somebody an unused FP for free, that I won't be using. I can't even imagine the look on their face if i tried to sell it to them!
                          So true. We have been there as well when we decided to leave earlier then we thought we would and tried to give them to people. Which we then get looked at like we are nuts or strangers trying to give them candy and lure them in a van. LOL We have had a few that did take them but for the most part its like people are scared to do so for some reason.
                          A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

I haven't been to the park for a couple years now but I never saw anyone trying to sell them. We have had people give them to us though, which is always great. And, if we find we can't use a FP we give them away too. I hate to see them go to waste. Sometimes people do give you a funny look and silently walk away. However, I did have a girl literally hug me for giving her 2 FPs for Space Mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Princess View Post

So true. We have been there as well when we decided to leave earlier then we thought we would and tried to give them to people. Which we then get looked at like we are nuts or strangers trying to give them candy and lure them in a van. LOL We have had a few that did take them but for the most part its like people are scared to do so for some reason.

Really? I haven't been offered nor tried to give away a FP in ages, but I always thought of it as no biggie either way. It used to be, if not common, then at least not rare. Too bad we've become so suspicious of each other.

I can't figure out what someone thinks that little slip of paper might 'do' that makes it so 'dangerous'!
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X