Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

New user registrations are verified at least once per day. Thank you for your patience.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Camping Out Along Main Street Will Be Prohibited (?)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Should Disneyland Guests should be allowed to decide when they will and will not cooperate with Cast Members while at Disneyland?

Or, should their cooperation be contingent on whether the guest, or some vocal group of individuals on Micechat, agrees with the specific rule the Cast Member is currently trying to enforce?

As I've said, I think the answer is unequivocal: the guest should always first cooperate with Disneyland Cast Members, cheerfully and immediately.

And then, if they don't agree, they should take it up with City Hall, guest relations or etc.

Otherwise, they don't need to be in Disneyland. One way or the other, just should just leave. Because Disneyland should be reserved for people who are willing to follow the rules of Disneyland and cooperate with Cast Members during their visit. For the safety and enjoyment of the other 99.9999% of people who are willing to cooperate with Cast Members. Including myself and my family.

And, no, I do not feel it is at all ironic or whatever. I think it is a simple statement of fact and I do not believe there is any gray area here. Sorry, but I'm being totally honest.

In fact, the very idea that someone would deliberately ignore a Cast Member during a visit to Disneyland just sickens me. I don't even see the point of this debate.
    For me, the point of the conversation isn't the guests complying or not complying with CMs, but of the rule itself. It failed because it was never going to succeed. It wasn't narrowly tailored to have an impact and had no means of successful execution. Guests for the most part do respect and comply with CMs. Those who don't and become disruptive usually find themselves chatting with management or security very quickly.

Comment

• The fact that guests are ignoring CMs and doing whatever they want is a reflection on society as a whole now days. Too many people in the world now days, not just at Disneyland, have the self-entitled attitude and it's very unfortunate. People seem to be way more rude, impolite, self-centered, entitled, discourteous and feel like they have a right to do whatever they want than they ever have before. And it just seems like it is getting worse and worse. I mean, just think how many people hold open doors or let someone into a lane with their signal on in traffic or even bother to say a "thank you" now. It's pretty sad at how many folks do not anymore.

I don't want people who are legitimately taking a little break to sit on a curb and eat a pickle to be banned or be asked to move either, but the campers have basically ruined it for everyone else. It's unfortunate, but that happens a lot in life where people who abuse or take advantage or exploit something ruin it for others. I 100% agree that part of the blame has to go on Disney management for allowing the behavior to go on for so long. At this point, if I were Disney I would keep trying to enforce it because eventually people will listen. But Disney needs to make the rule written on signs in order for people to take it seriously or ever hope to enforce it; otherwise the people doing it will just ignore the hopeless CMs just doing their jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post

I'm in agreement, that was my way of thanking you for a good discussion. The goal isn't to get everyone agree, there are going to be times where we agree to disagree.

Now to get back on topic, so any updates on the "no camping rule"? The reason I ask, because I think there might still be some cast members might not have gotten the memo on the abandonment of it. There is a reason communication isn't one of the 4 keys to Disney, because they are very bad at it. It still amazes me that cast members come on here to find out something their managers should have told them.
        Unfortunately those lapses are par for the course. Makes me wonder if the rule was truly abandoned, or if CMs were told to pull back for the time being until a more clear direction could come down from management.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
          The fact that guests are ignoring CMs and doing whatever they want is a reflection on society as a whole now days. Too many people in the world now days, not just at Disneyland, have the self-entitled attitude and it's very unfortunate. People seem to be way more rude, impolite, self-centered, entitled, discourteous and feel like they have a right to do whatever they want than they ever have before. And it just seems like it is getting worse and worse. I mean, just think how many people hold open doors or let someone into a lane with their signal on in traffic or even bother to say a "thank you" now. It's pretty sad at how many folks do not anymore.

I don't want people who are legitimately taking a little break to sit on a curb and eat a pickle to be banned or be asked to move either, but the campers have basically ruined it for everyone else. It's unfortunate, but that happens a lot in life where people who abuse or take advantage or exploit something ruin it for others. I 100% agree that part of the blame has to go on Disney management for allowing the behavior to go on for so long. At this point, if I were Disney I would keep trying to enforce it because eventually people will listen. But Disney needs to make the rule written on signs in order for people to take it seriously or ever hope to enforce it; otherwise the people doing it will just ignore the hopeless CMs just doing their jobs.
          Just as there are very few guests who pack coolers or do the absurd things that people insist are such big problems, there are very few guests who don't heed CM instructions. If people have issues with what a CM says, it's likely because they don't understand it. It's not often that they want to be problem children or contrarians. It's because simply sitting on a curb at that moment isn't something they perceive as something to be talked to by a CM about. Most people who come through the gates follow CM instructions regularly and don't make a big deal of it. Chances are the couple sitting with their Starbucks in the example upthread were not aware there was a rule and the communication could have been better with both guest and CM.

Comment

No, but I think that frequent visitors to DL should be more aware of the rules than most guests, so could be reasonably held to a higher level of accountability. Myself included. Especially, if they have repeatedly been informed of said rules, and repeatedly chosen to violate them.

I'm not against APs. My family has proudly been APs for years. And I have nothing against people doing whatever makes them happy and comfortable in the parks, so long as they are "good guests." I respect the rules and the CMs, because it is for the collective good of everyone. People who refuse to do this cheapen and degrade everyone else's experience, including my own.

Including theirs, as well (although they probably don't see it that way in the heat of the moment.)
            I agree, people who frequently break the rules or display bad behavior on repeat visits should be banned or suspended from being able to go. But I was just saying that there's no way to enforce such bans on non-APs as well as APs really. Or is there? I guess if there was I would be all for it as well. I think both groups, APs as well as tourists and non-APs, can display horrible behavior as well as very good behavior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I think this hits it on the head. With a combination of profit-focus that reduces CM training and onstage staffing, and an upper-management culture that isolates itself from issues of guest misbehavior, DLR management has slipped into a lassie-faire attitude of "let 'em fight it out among themselves." The best executive advocate for resolving these issues is Mary, but too often she is sidelined.

It's a step forward that TDA has rolled out a policy of no curb sitting until parade rope-up. Unfortunately, they are unlikely to give CMs and frontline management the resources needed to police the policy, until there's been an injury accident. Which, given the increase in DLR's crowds, strollers, and electric mobility vehicles, is only a matter of time.

My kid and I often fantasize that she'll get a job at Disney someday. She loves it there so much, that is her "dream job."

But, stuff like this really worries me. I don't want my daughter to have to work in a "war zone" where guests actively flaunt the rules and disrespect the Cast Members. CMs seem to have an increasingly thankless job. But, if you think about it, they are out there every day just trying to make every guest's experience magical. And a lot of these CMs are just young kids, like my daughter, who loved Disney and just wanted to be a part of it. Why would anyone want to make it harder for them to do that? It just seems so wrong and selfish.

Please, people, don't take it out on the CMs. That could be my daughter you are ignoring someday. Allow her to enjoy her job just a couple of minutes longer that day.

Comment

My kid and I often fantasize that she'll get a job at Disney someday. She loves it there so much, that is her "dream job."

But, stuff like this really worries me. I don't want my daughter to have to work in a "war zone" where guests actively flaunt the rules and disrespect the Cast Members. CMs seem to have an increasingly thankless job. But, if you think about it, they are out there every day just trying to make every guest's experience magical. And a lot of these CMs are just young kids, like my daughter, who loved Disney and just wanted to be a part of it. Why would anyone want to make it harder for them to do that? It just seems so wrong and selfish.

Please, people, don't take it out on the CMs. That could be my daughter you are ignoring someday. Allow her to enjoy her job just a couple of minutes longer that day.
                If she wants the job at Disneyland, she should go for it. For every guest that we talk about here, there are thousands of happy children, first-time visitors, newly engaged couples, couples celebrating long anniversaries, world travelers, traditionalists, and people with interesting stories and great backgrounds. She will meet a lot of people who have interesting perspectives on life and will probably make a contact or two that can help her get to the next level of where she wants to end up in life. She will also learn a great deal about corporate structure, customer service, the amount of work that goes into creating a single moment, and will make the best friends she will keep in her life. She will learn the difference between being smart and being informed, between being caring and being careful, and between management and leadership. What she takes from Disney will stay with her forever. It was worth every second of my 7 years in the park, the good and the bad.

Comment

• The fact of life ,nor matter if it at Disneyland or just off the street,
                  there going be Self -Center people around matter what.
                  Increasingly some people , have no respect for other's!

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Give it a little bit of time and everyone will adjust to the 'no camping' policy. Just like it took a little bit of time for everyone to adjust to the 'no selfie sticks' policy. Eventually, park guests got the message and started following the rules. And with any rule, there are always a couple of people here and there who will try to push their luck to see what they can get away with.

Comment

• I was there yesterday and saw several blankets on the sidewalks as we left before the parade engulfed the park. I am nor sure if they were told to pick up their blankets but I did see one younger lady trip over the corner of the blanket. ( it was black and had tassels attached to the corners which I assume might have wrapped around her foot. I found myself staring at the situation as she went from talking to stumbling out into the street ) In a crowded walkway situation everyones line of site is significantly compromised and anyone sitting whether on a curb blanket or anywhere on the ground and not in a bench is a hazard. Random stanchion that are left are often walked into for the same reason. Disney is not trying to destroy somebodies joy they are simply trying to prevent somebody from injuring themselves.

On a side note during the same visit I watched a parent walk there child right into a pole as they pulled there child's hand and the child was looking to the side and then assumed the child was looking where they were going. if you watch Main Street for about 5-10 minutes you no doubt see at least one guest trip or stumble down or up the curb or trolley grooves. I watched a parent get a lil too aggressive playing paddy cake with there toddler knocking them into at handrail bonking their head. Also when I was walking through a crowd I glanced down to my daughter to hear something she said and at that moment I felt a woosh of somebody running by me and then something smacked into my wristwatch like somebody kicking my wrist? I instantly apologized to whatever hit me ( instinctual reaction in crowds ) "whoops sorry" I knew I was not swinging my hand and was walking at a normal pace. I looked over and in the crowd did not see who ran by me and what is was that hit my wrist and then I heard a poor child nearby crying complaining they got hit in the head. Their Mom was pulling them through the crowd and did not take into consideration she was dragging her child into harms way.

i often wonder if instead of a rope or chain Disney couldn't simply put in stanchion point every 6' and then have nice plastic white picket fence looking temporary barriers they could click in instead of the rope for most of the length of MainStreet. This would be easily seen and quick to install and remove. It would be installed about a foot from curb edge and allow a single row of guests to sit on the curb where they would be protected from getting tripped over and break up the blanket issue so camping would be far more difficult?

Comment

• Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

Just as there are very few guests who pack coolers or do the absurd things that people insist are such big problems, there are very few guests who don't heed CM instructions. If people have issues with what a CM says, it's likely because they don't understand it. It's not often that they want to be problem children or contrarians. It's because simply sitting on a curb at that moment isn't something they perceive as something to be talked to by a CM about. Most people who come through the gates follow CM instructions regularly and don't make a big deal of it. Chances are the couple sitting with their Starbucks in the example upthread were not aware there was a rule and the communication could have been better with both guest and CM.
                        Yes, that is very true and also quite unfortunate. That kind of leads in to my point about how if there is a new rule, Disney really needs to post it on signs and pass out leaflets for a solid year. Then more people are educated on what the new rules are and more people will obey them or make an effort to stop doing whatever it is that has been banned or considered against the rules. Of course, there will always be problematic guests that will never listen and always be disruptive. I've seen line-cutters try to weasel their way out of getting kicked out of line by a CM for very stupid reasons. I don't think sitting on the curb should be against the rules until maybe 2 hours before a parade starts when crowds do start to line up or form and the CMS have to start putting up the ropes and such. And blankets and parked, unused strollers being used on the sidewalks should definitely be banned or be against the rules at any time.

Comment

• Originally posted by spinycactus View Post
                          Give it a little bit of time and everyone will adjust to the 'no camping' policy. Just like it took a little bit of time for everyone to adjust to the 'no selfie sticks' policy. Eventually, park guests got the message and started following the rules. And with any rule, there are always a couple of people here and there who will try to push their luck to see what they can get away with.
                          Exactly. And if we are to believe most campers are APs, which I am not saying they are or not, then it's only a matter of time before most will realize it and stop doing it or attempting to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

If she wants the job at Disneyland, she should go for it. For every guest that we talk about here, there are thousands of happy children, first-time visitors, newly engaged couples, couples celebrating long anniversaries, world travelers, traditionalists, and people with interesting stories and great backgrounds. She will meet a lot of people who have interesting perspectives on life and will probably make a contact or two that can help her get to the next level of where she wants to end up in life. She will also learn a great deal about corporate structure, customer service, the amount of work that goes into creating a single moment, and will make the best friends she will keep in her life. She will learn the difference between being smart and being informed, between being caring and being careful, and between management and leadership. What she takes from Disney will stay with her forever. It was worth every second of my 7 years in the park, the good and the bad.
                            I agree. And if it really is her dream job, she'll probably be able to deflect a lot of the bad behavior and still enjoy her employment at the Happiest Place on Earth. I still see a ton of CMs with smiles on their faces and enjoying interacting with guests everytime I go. I usually have a great conversation with a couple of CMs each day I go. CMs are people too and most love talking with guests. I've had conversations with CMs about the history of an attraction, conversations about what is the best weather or time of year in Anaheim, conversations about the next Marvel or Star Wars movie and conversations about which Monster energy drink flavors are the best. LOL I mean, I have had colorful conversations with CMs regarding just about anything at Disneyland. I think it would be a great job to have if one loves Disney and loves interacting with people and is a social butterfly.

Comment

• Keep in mind that the Cast Members working GSO (Guest Show Operations) come from different departments. Attractions, photopass, characters, dining, custodial, etc. Those are the CMs you see working the shows and parades. They'll get scheduled these shifts, in addition to the ones specific to their department. So that's not their primary role in the resort. So when guests put up a fight, eventually it's just not worth continuing to argue because that's not what they signed up for. Most CMs dread working GSO shifts because it's hell.
                              The only way to solve this problem is to hire Cast Members whose specific job is to work the parades and shows. They need to go through some sort of "bootcamp" to toughen them up and learn how to enforce the rules.
                              Just today some arrogant self-entitled guest laid down a big blanket. One of the GSO CMs approached her to say she couldn't do that. The guest (much bigger and taller than the petite CM) basically intimidated her to the point where she just turned and walked away.
                              The resort needs CMs who won't back down from that rude behavior. That's why they need a GSO Department to be strong against those who think Cast Members are simply there to be kicked around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                                Keep in mind that the Cast Members working GSO (Guest Show Operations) come from different departments. Attractions, photopass, characters, dining, custodial, etc. Those are the CMs you see working the shows and parades. They'll get scheduled these shifts, in addition to the ones specific to their department. So that's not their primary role in the resort. So when guests put up a fight, eventually it's just not worth continuing to argue because that's not what they signed up for. Most CMs dread working GSO shifts because it's hell.
                                The only way to solve this problem is to hire Cast Members whose specific job is to work the parades and shows. They need to go through some sort of "bootcamp" to toughen them up and learn how to enforce the rules.
                                Just today some arrogant self-entitled guest laid down a big blanket. One of the GSO CMs approached her to say she couldn't do that. The guest (much bigger and taller than the petite CM) basically intimidated her to the point where she just turned and walked away.
                                The resort needs CMs who won't back down from that rude behavior. That's why they need a GSO Department to be strong against those who think Cast Members are simply there to be kicked around.
                                Maybe they should just make security be GSO's. While all departments can be part of Guest Control, it still is mainly attractions cast members and is part of the attractions departments. The NOCC team takes care of the Main Street guest control. Most guest control cast members are usually newbies because most do not want to do the shift and newbies have lower seniority.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X