Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked. Approvals are done at least once per day, but they can't be done for accounts that have not verified their email address.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Pirates of the Caribbean 50th anniversary

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Pirates of the Caribbean 50th anniversary

    I haven't heard a word about it, but I assume one of the greatest rides in the park will have some kinda celebration for it's 50th birthday? The refurb will be done by then... maybe a surprise?

  • #2
    When did the attraction actually open? Yes I hope they do something special for it! One of Walt's original ideas!
    KA CHOW

    Comment


    • #3
      I think I recall something with the opening of the next movie.

      Comment


      • #4
        POTC opened on march 18th, 1967. It returns march 16th so maybe just a refresh with special anniversary merch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post
          POTC opened on march 18th, 1967. It returns march 16th so maybe just a refresh with special anniversary merch.
          Beat me to it Well I hope they do something really refreshing!

          Comment


          • #6
            I just hope they don't add any crap from the next movie.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe they'll remove the food from the guy the fat lady is chasing. Nothing like replacing the "non-PC" sections of the ride with fat jokes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well they better do something cuz I got ressies for that weekend and did a lanyard in all PotC pins.
                My wife is the rebel spy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Boooo.. Pirates I gonna be down for my next trip (will be there March 13th)
                  "Have I gone mad?"
                  "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't know about any public celebrations, but I have heard that Club 33 is having 4 days of events March 16-19 featuring special entertainment and historical film screening about the attraction in Le Salon Nouveau, a breakfast with guest speakers and an exclusive early morning ride through where Members will learn and experience some sort of behind-the-scenes secrets (perhaps a ride or walk-through the sets with the lights on?) and some other things. I would guess they'll have some sort of merchandise or other goodies to go along with it.

                    Wish I could go.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
                      Maybe they'll remove the food from the guy the fat lady is chasing. Nothing like replacing the "non-PC" sections of the ride with fat jokes.
                      Insinuated rape is better than a "fat joke" which isn't even a fat joke?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DLcub View Post

                        Insinuated rape is better than a "fat joke" which isn't even a fat joke?
                        Mouseplanet has a great article today on the history of this attraction. In it they talked about how the idea was to get away from men who took advantage of women and instead make them into pirates at port who were looking for women to be their better halves. Less debauchery that way when you have a family attraction.

                        By having that woman chasing food instead of her chasing a man, it was a fat joke because it overruled the punchline of the scene and made it into something else entirely. It made it seem like she wanted food more than she wanted a man. If you have been judged for your weight, you know how that can sting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

                          Mouseplanet has a great article today on the history of this attraction. In it they talked about how the idea was to get away from men who took advantage of women and instead make them into pirates at port who were looking for women to be their better halves. Less debauchery that way when you have a family attraction.

                          By having that woman chasing food instead of her chasing a man, it was a fat joke because it overruled the punchline of the scene and made it into something else entirely. It made it seem like she wanted food more than she wanted a man. If you have been judged for your weight, you know how that can sting.
                          I understand, and I too have been judged for my weight, but I don't think it was intended as a fat joke, and even if it was it's still not as bad as what it insinuates without the food.

                          I am aware that there are many other scenes in POTC that could be labelled as insensitive or inappropriate, I just don't agree with the over-use of the term "politically correct".
                          If it stings because you read it as a fat joke then imagine how it stings for someone who perceives it as trivialising rape. Someone could just as well accuse you of being PC for objecting to what you consider to be insensitive to people of size.

                          I'm not necessarily condoning changes to the attraction, because honestly, there would be nothing left if you start to analyse it from the perspective of removing anything that could be seen as insensitive. But if after 30 years all they did was add a plate of food to slightly alter the context of the scene in the hopes of upsetting fewer guests then I don't really see the problem.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I hope it has a good cleaning. The projection needs a lot of work too!!!!!!
                            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

                            DL 55th BDAY trip report
                            My company had a special night at the park
                            WdW trip report with WWoHP
                            NYE 2011 trip report
                            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                            Leap year 24 hour report
                            New DCA trip report
                            NYE 2012
                            HKDL trip report

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DLcub View Post

                              I understand, and I too have been judged for my weight, but I don't think it was intended as a fat joke, and even if it was it's still not as bad as what it insinuates without the food.

                              I am aware that there are many other scenes in POTC that could be labelled as insensitive or inappropriate, I just don't agree with the over-use of the term "politically correct".
                              If it stings because you read it as a fat joke then imagine how it stings for someone who perceives it as trivialising rape. Someone could just as well accuse you of being PC for objecting to what you consider to be insensitive to people of size.

                              I'm not necessarily condoning changes to the attraction, because honestly, there would be nothing left if you start to analyse it from the perspective of removing anything that could be seen as insensitive. But if after 30 years all they did was add a plate of food to slightly alter the context of the scene in the hopes of upsetting fewer guests then I don't really see the problem.
                              I agree that it can be seen both ways. I found it unnecessary at the time they made the change and didn't find the revision any more respectful. It seems that all they did was trade out targets. Either way, I still ride, so I'm not totally devastated.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X