Pirates of the Caribbean 50th anniversary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Management's antagonism for its founder has been an undercurrent since the day Michael walked onto the lot. The hypocrisy is they publicly praise Walt as an icon and push him as a brand, while privately dismissing his customer-centric standards of quality that built the company in the first place.

I never understood this - if Disney just held the same standards as Walt did, wouldn't they be making even more money? Original concepts with high quality theming, wouldn't that drive in far more people than a poorly put together lay over? Or am I completely wrong on that.

I think the only way to tell is what was the last original E-Ticket in Disneyland and how many did it sell (adjusted for inflation).

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
      I never understood this - if Disney just held the same standards as Walt did, wouldn't they be making even more money? Original concepts with high quality theming, wouldn't that drive in far more people than a poorly put together lay over?
      I personally think it would. But the question is irrelevant to Disney management. Since the advent of Eisner, the executive suite has been staffed with media moguls, marketers and financiers. They are top experts in these areas. They've made ginormous amounts of money for the Company. Profits are their sole criteria for measuring success, and therefore they have no reason to change their methods.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
      until Thor told it to me."
      -
      Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I personally think it would. But the question is irrelevant to Disney management. Since the advent of Eisner, the executive suite has been staffed with media moguls, marketers and financiers. They are top experts in these areas. They've made ginormous amounts of money for the Company. Profits are their sole criteria for measuring success, and therefore they have no reason to change their methods.

The problem that thinking with a creative mind is far more risky than thinking with marketers and accountants minds. The higher the risk, the greater the reward, but this takes what the current generation of Disney leaders lack...namely guts and more importantly, a long term vision. Hard to have either of these when leadership positions change every couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by DLcub View Post

Ok, first of all you stated your insulting opinion as fact, not as an opinion -

...and now you're triggered by the fact that someone had a problem with it? If my passive aggressive tone bothers you then maybe check the tone in your message that preceded mine before you come for me and try to shift the blame. You know what else is not socially acceptable? Trying to shut down someone else's opinion by calling it politically correct.
          First, I did not actually specify that my claim was fact rather than opinion. If you felt insulted by my statement or felt that it was passive aggressive, then I apologize because it was not meant to be insulting or aggressive, in any way, to anyone. I didn't have any intent to shut anyone down. Even though I disagreed with you and mentioned that the changes to the ride were made because of too much concern over political correctness (an opinion that has oft been stated by numerous MC'ers) I never said anything about anyone else's opinion being invalid. Now, unlike what I said, your statement was indeed pointed specifically at me and was intended to be less than complimentary...

"Now we all know. Good thing that we have you to inform us on these matters, and in light of this newly surfaced information I suggest we just change it back to the way you would have preferred it, as it is obviously your insight and opinion that matters most."

It was that which upset me, albeit minimally. Nothing 'triggered' me. Also I had no intention to 'shift blame' because I thought there was no blame to be shifted. I'm just big on courtesy and common consideration, which necessarily precludes statements of sarcastic irony towards others. I simply stated my concern about that.
          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Looks like they have a bit of a shindig planned...
            Yo ho, me hearties! This Saturday, March 18, marks 50 years of “rascals and scoundrels … villains and knaves” with the anniversary of Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland park, and we’re planning to celebrate with scoundrels and scallywags

Comment

Originally posted by Cerevant View Post
              nice!
              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
              My company had a special night at the park
              WdW trip report with WWoHP
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Cerevant View Post
                Woohoo finally some official word, thanks! Wish I could go and enjoy the celebration For those of you who can, make the best of it!! And take pics lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Boy View Post

Woohoo finally some official word, thanks! Wish I could go and enjoy the celebration For those of you who can, make the best of it!! And take pics lol.
                  I'm taking my nephew for his first Disneyland trip this weekend. We'll get some pics

Comment

Any idea if its only for this saturday or will they carry it on for good run?

I hope there's good merch

Comment

Does anybody know if there actually going to add or do anything special for the ride? I dont mean the normal tidy crap up refurb (or the additional offerings of food or merch) but plus it up a bit? Like when the HM added the HBG. Man...I haven't rode Pirates in over 2 months (for an AP'er thats a long time) :-) Thx

Comment

Sorry..forgot at add something. So does the ride open up on the 16th, 17th or the 18th? Its a little confusisng reading the Disney Blog about whats going on with it?
                        Thx

Comment

Sad to say, but not all of Pirates of the Caribbean will be 50 years old. Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, and Captain Barbossa have been around for 11 years. Boy do I miss the old Pirate captain and the two voices in the caves before the ship battle scene. I hope nothing else from the movies will be added.

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                            Sorry..forgot at add something. So does the ride open up on the 16th, 17th or the 18th? Its a little confusisng reading the Disney Blog about whats going on with it?
                            Thx
                            Ride opens the 16th (Thursday), but most of the celebration activities don't start til Friday

Comment

Activities are Fri-Sat. I did not see anything for Sunday sounds like Sun will be back to normal ( though I am sure very crowded )

Comment

Does anybody know if there actually going to add or do anything special for the ride? I dont mean the normal tidy crap up refurb (or the additional offerings of food or merch) but plus it up a bit? Like when the HM added the HBG. Man...I haven't rode Pirates in over 2 months (for an AP'er thats a long *** time) :-) Thx
                                Expect updated animatronic technology for the Auctioneer. That's all I've heard so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                                  Sad to say, but not all of Pirates of the Caribbean will be 50 years old. Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, and Captain Barbossa have been around for 11 years. Boy do I miss the old Pirate captain and the two voices in the caves before the ship battle scene. I hope nothing else from the movies will be added.
                                  Now wouldn't it be fun if for the 50th, they got rid of Sparrow et al? Even if it was for some 'limited time magic'?

Looks like any celebration is just for that weekend. That means bigger crowds. We'll be there Sunday. Can the rest of you guys go Friday and Saturday, pretty please?
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied...wow for the 50th Anniversary all we get is an updated Auctioneer. God I hope they finally fix that damn projection on the fog shower that comes down. That thing has been out of whack for months.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied...wow for the 50th Anniversary all we get is an updated Auctioneer. God I hope they finally fix that damn projection on the fog shower that comes down. That thing has been out of whack for months.
                                      And the fireflies in the bayou. Just like with cowbell, we need more fireflies!
                                      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Now wouldn't it be fun if for the 50th, they got rid of Sparrow et al? Even if it was for some 'limited time magic'?

Looks like any celebration is just for that weekend. That means bigger crowds. We'll be there Sunday. Can the rest of you guys go Friday and Saturday, pretty please?
                                        Even with bigger crowds, I sure wish I could be in that park for the 50th of Pirates. I think it's a Very Big Deal. Have a wonderful time!

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                                          Even with bigger crowds, I sure wish I could be in that park for the 50th of Pirates. I think it's a Very Big Deal. Have a wonderful time!
                                          Couldn't agree more. I was a teen when I first rode it, that spring of '67. I remember the wait being longer than for the Tiki Room, just four years earlier. I remember people coming off the ride totally gobsmacked, babbling to people in the queue, "You! Won't! BELIEVE IT!!"

Which, it turned out, was the understatement of the century.

Even (or especially!) for those of us who had grown up with the Park and considered ourselves to be knowledgeable insiders who knew how the magic was made, it was mindblowing. Simply, completely, totally... mindblowing. And for a lot of us, there were tears that Walt couldn't be there.

And then, just as we were trying to figure how to beg, borrow or steal enough E tickets to get us through a summer of re-riding Pirates, they opened Tomorrowland '67.

Unbelievable times. Unbelievable that it was a half-century ago.
                                          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                          until Thor told it to me."
                                          -
                                          Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Working...
                                          X