X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Times: A sinking feeling on 'Small World'

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
    Very, very good point, Pressler69, and it pains me to say that I disagree. While yes, people should indeed watch their weight and invest the energy in eating well, failure to do so isn't always the cause of obesity. Disney should do what it needs to--within reason!--in order to accommodate the guests who aren't primarily responsible for their own weight gain.

Believe me, I'm not one of the people who tries to excuse all obesity with explanations about hormones and genetic code and so on. But I'm just saying that there are cases where disease or genetics can predispose a person to or even induce weight gain. It's not really fair to discriminate against those people, though naturally, there are limitations to what Disney can do.

I don't think thety're discriminating against those people, Datameister. Disney is making these adjustments FOR them. It shows that they understand that not everyone has a perfect physique and they acknowledge that. But if they can do that while telling the world that yes, America is indeed overweight, maybe a lightbulb will go off for some of those people to start doing something about it now and not wait for New Year's Day.

They're a PR driven company.... they can certainly turn a negative into a positive because it IS stupid to deny that the country is 65% overweight (i'm one of them).

Also, this change in the ride isn't just better to those with the larger waist sizes. It's better for everyone. It's not a great experience for those who have to see someone pulled off the ride because of their weight. Or heaven forbid STUCK in one spot on It's a Small World.

am i right?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

DL's stance might make some sense.

After all, obesity hits the buttocks region the most. If you can't fit four buttockses across the seat, then you can't put four buttockses in that row.

The linemen of a football team are far more properly proportional, and their buttockses will be a little leaner.

I'm guessing the bigger issue might be that a boat could be filled with all adults instead of half-kids / half adults. And the designers never thought that would be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
        It can show all the parts of the USA, and what they eat, drink and smoke that makes them unhealthy.
        Problem is that the smells would only make people hungrier.
        And DL does not help with some of its choices (though there are some healthy choices, too).
        Outdoor vendors are everywhere selling popcorn, french fries and turkey legs. Maybe two sell fresh fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
          DL's stance might make some sense.

After all, obesity hits the buttocks region the most. If you can't fit four buttockses across the seat, then you can't put four buttockses in that row.

The linemen of a football team are far more properly proportional, and their buttockses will be a little leaner.

I'm guessing the bigger issue might be that a boat could be filled with all adults instead of half-kids / half adults. And the designers never thought that would be the case.
          OK we get the idea, no need to post pics or diagrams

Comment

Again, Disney has nothing to gain by telling the truth here. If you are saying I'm trying to soften the blow you are barking up the wrong tree. People are fat, fine. But the minute Disney come out with a statement saying "Small world is closed for a year because people are too fat!" it's national news.

Bravo! People are fatter than they were 40 years ago. Does no for a billion dollar corporation to say that and have it be front page news.

Let's play another game. Let's say Disneyland has to beef up security because of gang related fights. Would it serve Disney better to say " Disney bring in police to curb (fill in particular race) fights. Most likely they'd say something totally different. It's funny that media outlets want everyone to speak the so-called truth, yet they are the first to tear someone down if they make an inappropriate comment. Is Disney saying people are too fat offensive? Not to me or you apparantly. But you can bet there'd be a group of people that are so inraged by these insensitive comments that they'd call for a boycott.

Everyone likes to claim "they tell it like it is" but that fact of the matter is if that were true, they'd have zero friends.

Just my opinion but you know what opinions are like.

Comment

I don't think thety're discriminating against those people, Datameister. Disney is making these adjustments FOR them. It shows that they understand that not everyone has a perfect physique and they acknowledge that. But if they can do that while telling the world that yes, America is indeed overweight, maybe a lightbulb will go off for some of those people to start doing something about it now and not wait for New Year's Day.
              Oh, no, I understand that. I was talking about Pressler69's suggestion that all overweight people simply be denied access to the ride. While I think WDI could probably find better ways of spending its money, their current plan of action with IASW is not particularly offensive to me.

Having one person overweight in the boat is one thing, but when almost everyone in the boat is overweight, that's another.
              Absolutely. But how would Disney know the life story of each one? Some of the large people would be lazy and overindulgent, but others would have more complex situations where control wouldn't be as easy. Disney has no way of or responsibility for knowing these things, so it makes more sense to rebuild the flume than it does to simply not allow overweight guests at all.

The root of the problem is, Disney can do nothing to substantially affect the average weight of the population, but it can do plenty to decrease its own revenues by not catering to those who are overweight.

Comment

For those of you who think that larger guests are the only reason for replacing the flume, I can tell you for personal experience that the flume is in desperate need of replacement, even if it was replaced with the exact same design and depth. It leaks constantly, has been patched countless times and the most recent lining that was applied to it did not stick and is peeling off all over the flume. Even if the boats were not getting stuck, the flume needs to be replaced and while it is, why not make the ride more accomadating for guests.

Comment

Presslers69 comment about denying access is naive from a business standpoint.

Disney is in the business of taking as much money as it can from the most people possible, it is a business. Usually the best way to do that is to make the park as accommodating as possible for as many people as possible. That is why department stores put the large sizes at the front of the rack, smaller size people don't mind going past the larger sizes, while larger size people can end up feeling quite embarrassed plowing past all the skinny stuff, depressed and embarrassed shoppers buy less. Retail 101. Disney is retail. It does Disney no good to try and arbitrate weight issues.

Some of the best retail shopping experts have used Disney as an ideal model for retailing. Even when Disney blows it with stuff like ESPN phones or whatever thy end up looking good for how fast they dump it and move on. Look how many mistakes were made in Disneyland in the early years, Autopia with no control track, Flying Saucers, the first couple grad nights were disasters, yet Disney adapted and moved on without blaming the customer.
                  Originally posted by SummerInFL
                  Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
                  Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                    Again, Disney has nothing to gain by telling the truth here.....
                    In making a decision about what reason to use on the press release, do you suppose they weighed the pros and cons?

Comment

I'm 6'3". I am definately carrying more weight than I should, but I'm not pulling a Homer Simpson and going the moo moo route by any means. I say this because you can bet that if they denied me because of weight, I would pitch a fit. Not only have Americans become more over-weight, but as a nation we have just gotten bigger as well. We are taller than we were on average than we were 50 years ago, and so we carry more weight even when we are in shape. My point is, if the boats are bottoming out, perhaps age, wear and tear, reduced boyancy, etc. are all great reasons to refurb the ride and making it a better experience all the way around for all the guests.

Would Pressler69 suggest they add a scale to help weed out those of us that weigh more than the average guest? This would be perfect. What a great way to plus the experience.

Comment

I'm 6'3". I am definately carrying more weight than I should, but I'm not pulling a Homer Simpson and going the moo moo route by any means. I say this because you can bet that if they denied me because of weight, I would pitch a fit. Not only have Americans become more over-weight, but as a nation we have just gotten bigger as well. We are taller than we were on average than we were 50 years ago, and so we carry more weight even when we are in shape. My point is, if the boats are bottoming out, perhaps age, wear and tear, reduced boyancy, etc. are all great reasons to refurb the ride and making it a better experience all the way around for all the guests.
                        Good point. Hadn't thought of that, either.

- Datameister, who seriously needs to pack on a few pounds and should thus probably leave this thread. )

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                          Outdoor vendors are everywhere selling popcorn, french fries and turkey legs. Maybe two sell fresh fruit.
                          Actually, there are at least four permanent fruit carts in Critter Country, Adventureland, Main St. and Tomorrowland.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
                            Would Pressler69 suggest they add a scale to help weed out those of us that weigh more than the average guest? This would be perfect. What a great way to plus the experience.
                            Oh please, I said myself that the idea was unrealistic and politically incorrect.

Comment

This thread depresses me. I want a churro...

and a Dole Whip.
                              Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

If I'm prevented from having that silly song run through my brain because I can't get in the boat 'cause my bottom will cause it to bottom out................I say "Give Me Another Freakin' Churro"!!! and get off my fat back about it!!!!!!:ap:
                                sigpicDisneyBroad54

Comment

I will keep my own personal feelings out of this and agree that stating the obvious would only land Disney in hotter water. I am more interested in this "more buoyant" boat. Specifically because the redesign of the Splash Log made it bottom out, the redesign of the Space rocket made it too heavy, and the redesign of the Ucyi (wheelchair boat) actually sank the first time they tossed it in the river. Disney hasn't exactly had a good track record at lightweight re-designs. If the Guests are heavier then you have to offset it somehow because heavy+heavy=sunk.
                                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                    Specifically because the redesign of the Splash Log made it bottom out, the redesign of the Space rocket made it too heavy, and the redesign of the Ucyi (wheelchair boat) actually sank the first time they tossed it in the river.
                                    Is it wrong that your litany of failed redesigns makes me laugh? :lol::roll:
                                    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
                                    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                      I will keep my own personal feelings out of this and agree that stating the obvious would only land Disney in hotter water. I am more interested in this "more buoyant" boat. Specifically because the redesign of the Splash Log made it bottom out, the redesign of the Space rocket made it too heavy, and the redesign of the Ucyi (wheelchair boat) actually sank the first time they tossed it in the river. Disney hasn't exactly had a good track record at lightweight re-designs. If the Guests are heavier then you have to offset it somehow because heavy+heavy=sunk.
                                      Not many math majors at WDI.
                                      Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
                                        Is it wrong that your litany of failed redesigns makes me laugh? :lol::roll:
                                        Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
                                        Not many math majors at WDI.
                                        Well... as any good Skip would say... I won $20 on that last one, thanks WDI!

As a side note while Leno recently started his little "sink or float" game the J.C. has been doing it for over 50 years, although the Ucyi was the biggest thing we ever played it with!
                                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

They should have just not said anything and stated that they were employing the changes and not even say why. "Don't ask, don't tell"
                                          When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X