X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Times: A sinking feeling on 'Small World'

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    In making a decision about what reason to use on the press release, do you suppose they weighed the pros and cons?

Guaranteed. Anytime there is a press release Disney is VERY careful about how to word things.

What's funny is we are talking about Small world and DCA is planning on building a hovering bumper tires ride. Talk about making something where weight is tantamount to how the ride runs.

Chad

Comment

My question is, does anyone even go on this ride any more? When I was there over labor day, a crowded weekend with the marathon and all, that line was empty at 4:00pm.

There were more guests waiting in line to open the door to the glass factory in ToonTown, no joke!
      Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

What I have a problem is that the Disneyland Spokesperson(s) in the NY Times (last week) and now in the LA Times basically claim Al Lutz is lying.

And that is NOT the case.

Is it the ONLY reason why "iasw" is closing? The answer to that is clear... NO, it is an older ride and needs things to be repaired and replaced.

But why are they making the flume deeper and redesigning the boats.

Because they have had weight issues, CM's working the ride are trained to watch the weight distribution and are told to send off boats that are not fully loaded (even with a long queue) if they feel the are too many "full bodied" adults on the single boat.

Weight, and the fact the average guest is about 25 pounds heavier since the 60's, based on government statistics, is just plain facts.

Does Disney need to promote the fact that one of the main reasons for the new design is weight? The answer again is NO. But all they needed to say was the fact they were addressing the issues of maintenance and the fact the ride is over 40 years old, and they are improving the ride.

What they DIDN'T need to do is claim that Al Lutz was lying..

Here is a quote from the NY Times on November 3rd...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...new-82270.html

A Disney spokesman said Mr. Lutz has it wrong. Repairs have caused a buildup of fiberglass in the flume, decreasing the clearance. The repairs, which will close the ride for 10 months starting in January, “have nothing to do with weight,” he said.
        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Why don't they jsut admit the truth, like everyone says: It is the weight of people. Over 100 million of Americans are either overwieght or obesed, 60 percent of which are adults.

Back on the subject, it is a good idea though that Disney is considering this. It's nice that they want to give an old attraction a little TLC.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Guests have gotten fatter ever since Adventure thru Innerspace was canned lol "I am shrinking, shrinking..." remember that lol

When I sit in the HM loading area in my wheel chair waiting to get on Doom Buggy #5 usually I see how huge people are and that they can barely squeeze one person into a buggy let alone two I remember 3 people riding in a buggy! This lack of room for bigger sizes also creates the panic "which buggy do I get in" shuffle I have also witnessed and then theres the "why doesnt the safety bar stay back when I pull on it" I hear so often as almost EVERYONE pulls back on the bar once they get all this while the speil is saying "Dont pull back on the safety bar I will lower it for you....'

Americans are not only alot heavier but alot more stupid too nowadays it seems.........

Also on POTC i have seen boats almost capsize due to all the heavier people on just one side of the boat! They dont even get it that they should shift their weight better and distribute it more evenly, of course neither do the CM's they are definately getting dumber too.....

I guess its evolution in the making, if you are too heavy and too dumb, you either capsize your potc boat and drown or get stuck on iasw and be driven mad by having to listen to the iasw song over and over

ok ok so Im being harsh but sadly its all true!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Comment

Originally posted by TheRockr View Post
              Why don't they jsut admit the truth, like everyone says: It is the weight of people. Over 100 million of Americans are either overwieght or obesed, 60 percent of which are adults.
              How would Disney profit from this, they sell tons of soda in the park for the same price you can buy beer at a ball game. They sell far more burgers and fries than they do non-caramelized apples. They are far better off economically touting the changes as an enhancement of the experience than telling their guests to buy less food.

And while we may all know the "real" reason they are changing the boats it is quite different if Disney admits it.
              Originally posted by SummerInFL
              Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
              Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

Originally posted by mousechild View Post
                How would Disney profit from this, they sell tons of soda in the park for the same price you can buy beer at a ball game. They sell far more burgers and fries than they do non-caramelized apples. They are far better off economically touting the changes as an enhancement of the experience than telling their guests to buy less food.

And while we may all know the "real" reason they are changing the boats it is quite different if Disney admits it.
                Yeah, you are right. They do make a lot of money off selling popcorn and candy in the park. And you also didn't mention the churros are about $3.00. I could buy a Double-Double from In-N-Out Burger a'la carte for $2.85 for crying out loud.

Back on the subject, you are right: they need to make money.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

haha lol this article is too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
                    My question is, does anyone even go on this ride any more? When I was there over labor day, a crowded weekend with the marathon and all, that line was empty at 4:00pm.
                    No, nobody rides it.

Comment

I have to disagree with you Darkbeer,

I don't a quote from the Disney spokesperson saying Al Lutz is lying, I see the NY Times implying that the Disney spokesperson said Al Lutz is lying.

Disney chose not to mention the changes in design for the new flume and boats, so to claim they are calling Al a liar is just your opinion

the repairs have nothing to do with weight, but the need for a new flume, the increased depth and new boats are because of the weight issue. If the flume was not in need of replacement, I seriously doubt Disney would spend the money to build a new flume and boats, but instead would just reduce the number of people per boat.

Comment

^It all depends on what your definition of 'is' is.
                        Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
                          What I have a problem is that the Disneyland Spokesperson(s) in the NY Times (last week) and now in the LA Times basically claim Al Lutz is lying.

And that is NOT the case.

Is it the ONLY reason why "iasw" is closing? The answer to that is clear... NO, it is an older ride and needs things to be repaired and replaced.

But why are they making the flume deeper and redesigning the boats.

Because they have had weight issues, CM's working the ride are trained to watch the weight distribution and are told to send off boats that are not fully loaded (even with a long queue) if they feel the are too many "full bodied" adults on the single boat.

Weight, and the fact the average guest is about 25 pounds heavier since the 60's, based on government statistics, is just plain facts.

Does Disney need to promote the fact that one of the main reasons for the new design is weight? The answer again is NO. But all they needed to say was the fact they were addressing the issues of maintenance and the fact the ride is over 40 years old, and they are improving the ride.

What they DIDN'T need to do is claim that Al Lutz was lying..

Here is a quote from the NY Times on November 3rd...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...new-82270.html
                          I was not trained on the attraction so I can not speak for them. What I will say is that with the recent additions to the J.C. the river was made a great deal shallower and this caused derail problems. However I do not know what modifications have been done to the IASW flume... So while the buildup argument is paper thin, it could have some truth to it.

IMO the comment directed towards Al was a direct response to a question posed by the NY Times reporter. Generally a reporter will ask a baited question like "What do you think..." and then omit the question and only write a response. "Disney thinks Al Lutz has it all wrong." would be a perfect example. While the spokesperson may have said something similar to that, it can easily be taken out of context to generate the hype the reporter is looking for.

Bottom line you have to remember this is Disney. This is the same company who claimed that Rocket Rods were fun, The same company who saw nothing wrong with the TL98 refurb. This is the company who continues to claim that Fast Pass prevents long lines. This is the company who removed Subs, only to bring them back years later, and who just finally admitted that DCA needs help. Hopefully you were not looking for a straight answer from them.
                          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Wow I just read that article. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :/

Comment

I don't think Disney would dare declare that people are too fat.

...somebody needs to say it, though.

Comment

I would love to read the article in it's entirety but I do not have a NY Time subscription... can someone please quote the whole article, or email it to me. thank you.
                                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                                  But the minute Disney come out with a statement saying "Small world is closed for a year because people are too fat!" it's national news.
                                  Even though Disney did not make that statement, it is now national news. AP picked up the story and MSNBC has it on their front page. Here's a link - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21713571/

Hooray for miceage.com! I guess their server is gonna get a few more hits than usual.

On another health related note, back in the early 90's, before Eisner went over to the dark side, he pushed HEAVILY for healthier foods at the parks. I loved the turkey burgers they used to serve at Merriweather's (sp?) Market in Pleasure Island back in the early 90's. If you look now that restaurant and the turkey burger no longer exist. I am pretty sure they got rid of them because they did not sell. The point is, they tried. And, to a lesser extent, they still try. But the restaurants that have the longest lines seem to be the ones selling the least healthy foods. It was just a random thought that came up just now, and I wanted to write it down.
                                  Last edited by PhotoMatt; 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                    I would love to read the article in it's entirety but I do not have a NY Time subscription... can someone please quote the whole article, or email it to me. thank you.
                                    If you go to the original thread by Darkbeer there is a link to the article. I have been able to view it multiple times and I do not have a subscription.

If that still does not work, PM me and I will e-mail it to you. I would repost it here for you to save the time, but I think that it might be improper BB etiquette and violate copyright laws, so I don't want to take the chance.
                                    Last edited by PhotoMatt; 11-10-2007, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                                      But it will only make us eat more!!
                                      :lol:

Comment

They should change the ride to "It's A Fat World, Stop Eating So God Damn Much" and then redesign the scenes to show the dolls running, exercising and eating right. Then have a segment that shows what happens when you don't do these things, and part of that could be a little boat flume with a couple of fat dolls stuck in the flume next to a tiny version of the old Canada scene.

People would flock to it!

Comment

Last edited by rgrant999; 11-11-2007, 01:16 AM. Reason: Repeat post

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X