X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Times: A sinking feeling on 'Small World'

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
    What I have a problem is that the Disneyland Spokesperson(s) in the NY Times (last week) and now in the LA Times basically claim Al Lutz is lying.

And that is NOT the case.

Is it the ONLY reason why "iasw" is closing? The answer to that is clear... NO, it is an older ride and needs things to be repaired and replaced.

But why are they making the flume deeper and redesigning the boats.

Because they have had weight issues, CM's working the ride are trained to watch the weight distribution and are told to send off boats that are not fully loaded (even with a long queue) if they feel the are too many "full bodied" adults on the single boat.

Weight, and the fact the average guest is about 25 pounds heavier since the 60's, based on government statistics, is just plain facts.

Does Disney need to promote the fact that one of the main reasons for the new design is weight? The answer again is NO. But all they needed to say was the fact they were addressing the issues of maintenance and the fact the ride is over 40 years old, and they are improving the ride.

What they DIDN'T need to do is claim that Al Lutz was lying..

Here is a quote from the NY Times on November 3rd...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...new-82270.html
    A buildup of....fiberglass? :blink: Nice. Of course, whenever they refurb for Christmas and back again, if there WAS any fiberglass build up, (How would this buildup settle in constantly moving water?) I would imagine it would be removed rather easily without shutting the ride down for a year. If it's any consolation, I don't think anyone is buying Disney's story. I think they are just trying to refrain from using the F word in public.

Comment

Loosing weight is eaiser said than done. I went from 135lbs in High School, to 250, as a married adult. The bad part of it, is I didn't even notice until I was dignosed with hyper tension. Now I'm trying to loose the wieght and it isn't easy. I've dropped 20 pounds so far, but age, metabolism, and daily routine are an uphill battle. I'm trying to get back to my original wieght.... 5 pounds 7 ozs., but I don't think I'll get t heir until the dehydrate me.

Disney does not gain anything by admitting that fat people are the cause of the boat rehab. They want those fat people, with thier fat kids to spend money in the park, just like McDonalds offers salads that they don't really have any intention of really sellling. The big money is in the Fries.

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by sailerm View Post
        Loosing weight is eaiser said than done. I went from 135lbs in High School, to 250, as a married adult.quote]
        It is as easy/hard as it was the last 100 years, the difference now is we live in a culture of rationalization, excuses, and victimization. It is a matter of calorie consumpion - not fat, carbs, biorythms, etc. - if one eats less than 1,500 calories every single day (or 2,000 for men), they are not fat.

Show me a fat person who says they eat less than 1,500 calories a day (not just on a "good day", but every day) and I'll show you someone who is lying about how many calories they consume.

It is not society, it is not McDonalds, it is not Disneyland selling churros, it is ones inability to have self-control over their caloric intake.

Comment

It is not society, it is not McDonalds, it is not Disneyland selling churros, it is ones inability to have self-control over their caloric intake.
          Your right, but in today's society more people are eating at McDonalds that well balanced home meals. We are sitting behind desks most of the day rather than mucking out horse stalls and chopping wood, we are driving our cars, rather than walking to and from our destiantions.

I target mainly the U.S. in my generalizations, as I know cultural differances have helped many othe nations from succumbing to the massive amounts of weight gain that has plauged this country.

Comment

Originally posted by sailerm View Post
            but in today's society more people are eating at McDonalds that well balanced home meals. We are sitting behind desks most of the day rather than mucking out horse stalls and chopping wood, we are driving our cars, rather than walking to and from our destiantions..
            And we make excuses like those above instead of taking personal responsibilities and adjusting our behaviour based on our individual situations.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is. So, disney didn't come out and say fat people are grounding the boats. Why would they? Disney is all about happiness not slapping people in the face with the truth.

Fat people know they're fat and they know why they're fat. They don't need Disney to tell them what they already know.

And who cares if Disney sells 'junk' food in the parks? I'm glad that they do. I'm also glad they offer healthier options for those who want it.

Just because you can eat junk at DL doesn't mean you're supposed to eat a steady diet of it.

People make their choices and a lot of Americans choose to be unhealthy. What's really sad is that they often also make this same choice for their children.

Comment

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but I don't have anything to add--at the moment.
                Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                sigpic

Comment

Being overweight can also be hereditary, so it's not always a choice...I have several friends who have this, and the worst part of it is that they're parents tell them to loose weight, that they're fat, etc. when they themselves should take a good look in the mirror.

Because of lifestyles today, the fast food market has thrived-and also expanded waistlines. Our generations are products of the fast food market. Eat all that junk when you're little, and I'm darn sure it will to some extent always stay with you.

Child obesity is actually a very big problem in the US. Time for mom and dad to set their foot down and make Johnny eat an apple instead of french fries.

My mom pretty much refused to let me eat at McDonald's when I was little, and while I didn't like it then, I'm thankful for it now. Not only are they terrible offenders in the fat department, but they definitely slip some sort of addictive element in their food. In my senior year of high school, I did Grease, was one of the pink ladies. Rehearsals were tiring and would go very late, so after every rehearsal, my boyfriend and I would stop at McDonald's for the dollar menu. I'd get double cheeseburgers. I stopped having them, and I literally went through depressions and cravings. After that, I knew to never eat continuously from that fast food place ever again. These people care about money, not your health.

Fries really are the worst offenders. I've almost completely eliminated the from my diet and it's done wonders for me.

The overworked American is now faced with a tough dilemma. Fast food makes life a heck of a lot easier, because the average worker doesn't have the time to slave in a kitchen to make something. Society is definitely not going to change to make our lives easier-the market just continues to get more and more competitive, so the ideal worker throws out things like living a healthy life to make the boss happy. But, something's gotta give.

My question is, does anyone even go on this ride any more? When I was there over labor day, a crowded weekend with the marathon and all, that line was empty at 4:00pm.
                  The boats wouldn't be sinking if nobody was in them

Sometimes, if no one is in line for an attraction, guests think that the ride is closed. small world also has a very high capacity rate because of it's design, and it's located in a corner, which doesn't help.

But I have seen lines for it, and I ride it almost every time I visit.

Go check out the lines during the holidays...then it's really busy.
                  Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 11-11-2007, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
                    I'm enjoying reading this thread, but I don't have anything to add--at the moment.
                    I started the thread, and I'm also sitting back....just eating bon bons and reading along.

Comment

We actually got stuck behind a boat with - ahem - endowed passengers. They totally bottomed out, and there we were listening to THAT song for 15 minutes, meantime in hysterics (all of us, including the perps). The CM's finally came out a little black door and repositioned everyone more evenly, gave us a push, and off we went. So, I'm saying ... the enemy is us.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDisneyFan View Post
                        We actually got stuck behind a boat with - ahem - endowed passengers. They totally bottomed out, and there we were listening to THAT song for 15 minutes, meantime in hysterics (all of us, including the perps). The CM's finally came out a little black door and repositioned everyone more evenly, gave us a push, and off we went. So, I'm saying ... the enemy is us.
                        Welcome to MiceChat. You gonna finish that churro?

Comment

[QUOTE=rgrant999;2321323]

It is as easy/hard as it was the last 100 years, the difference now is we live in a culture of rationalization, excuses, and victimization. It is a matter of calorie consumpion - not fat, carbs, biorythms, etc. - if one eats less than 1,500 calories every single day (or 2,000 for men), they are not fat.

Show me a fat person who says they eat less than 1,500 calories a day (not just on a "good day", but every day) and I'll show you someone who is lying about how many calories they consume.

Very well said!
                          Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

Also, if any of you are lucky enough to whitness a boat capsize, PLEASE get a picture! I need a new desktop background. I can't imagine this actually happening, but if I was a fat guy, and had some fat friends, I think I would just do this as a joke. Sadly, I am not, and do not.
                            Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

All this big people talk reminds me of a few things. I can't tell you how many times on Thunder people would try to "make it fit" or on Indy they would kill a seatbelt "stretcing it a little". If you fit, great, if you don't please do not blame me. I was actually yelled at by a woman who got stuck in the J.C. turnstile because I offered to help. I realize she was embarassed but, being a big guy myself, if I don't THINK I can fit... I don't try it!

The same can be said of Small World... if you believe that your party might be on the bigger side... then split up. I realize you can blame the CM's for grouping you together and trying to be nice but ultimately it is the responsibility of the individual.

For those wondering I also have a quick story. The closest I ever came to having a J.C. boat sink was 9 sumo wrestlers and their 100lb tour guide! If you are wondering about Small World I believe they put them on one per boat.
                              "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Can someone extrapolate how many years it will take for the average American adult to outweigh the average Sumo wrestler?
                                Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                                2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                                2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                                sigpic

Comment

Body fat is not the only culprit. People are taller than they used to be, and many of them have more muscle mass. Also, the population is, generally, older.

Still, it's ironic that "it's a small world", which was originally intended as a salute to UNICEF, has to be redesigned to accommodate the well-fed Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan:
                                    A buildup of....fiberglass? Nice. Of course, whenever they refurb for Christmas and back again, if there WAS any fiberglass build up, (How would this buildup settle in constantly moving water?) I would imagine it would be removed rather easily without shutting the ride down for a year. If it's any consolation, I don't think anyone is buying Disney's story. I think they are just trying to refrain from using the F word in public.
                                    The build up of fiberglass would be from the numerous patches that have been applied to the flume every year to fix the leaks in it. As a patch, it is permanent and does not "settle" as it is applied when the flume is drained for the holiday overlay. 40 some odd years = alot of wear and tear on the flume and boats.

I won't argue that the increase in depth and redisgned boats are not because of the increased loads on the boats than they were not designed for. but the replacement of the flume is due to deterioration of the original flume, not because of rider size.

Comment

It would be nice if Disney solicited donations for charity at the attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                        It would be nice if Disney solicited donations for charity at the attraction.
                                        Soliciting donations? No thanks. The wishing well is fine and subtle enough that it doesn't ruin your trip by guilting you into donating money to some cause.

I consider my charity donations a private matter and don't want to be solicited anywhere.

Comment

If you were to replace things that had to be replaced due to their lifespan, wouldn't you replace them with something sturdier that could avoid rare issues? I'd say that's common sense.

This story has been blown way... out of proportion. :whistling

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X