Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Disneyland merchandise

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland merchandise

Does anyone feel that a lot of the Disneyland merch as of late is just kind of 'meh'? Personally, I've been looking for a nice Disneyland baseball cap to buy but the only ones I can find are from 2006 or other years long ago. When the Diamond Celebration was going on, I really wanted to get a hoodie or an other piece of clothing, but all of the ones I could find were just boring. With Tower of Terror's closing, again, I wanted to get something to remember it by, but again, there was nothing that good being offered.

For the most part, when it comes to mugs, toys, etc. the merchandise is fine, but with clothing and the like, they just have been falling flat in recent years, I feel. Does anyone feel this way?
    "The birds will poop in the food" - Walt Disney

I agree that much of the park merchandise hasn't been all that special. More so, they're not exclusive to just one park or just one land as much as they used to be. Now a lot of the same stuff sticks around for years, is sold in all of the parks, and is available online through Disneystore.com.

Comment

I don't know about 'boring', but as far as the women's clothing for the 60th, there was just a bit too much 'glitter' on most of it for me. I did buy a hoodie though, it was the kinda unisex looking blue one.

I agree that a lot of the merch is pretty generic looking. But I expect that's a result of trying to save money by trying to appeal to the largest number of people across the board.

As far as women's clothing is concerned, their sizes are really wonky. I'm normally a size M to L in t-shirts and hoodies depending on the brand. At DL, I'm anywhere from an XL to an XXXL. And all the 'cute' things are Jr sized which means that even the largest doesn't fit. Boo on you, Disney! Even ladies 'of a certain age' like cute clothes!

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
        Does anyone feel that a lot of the Disneyland merch as of late is just kind of 'meh'? Personally, I've been looking for a nice Disneyland baseball cap to buy but the only ones I can find are from 2006 or other years long ago. When the Diamond Celebration was going on, I really wanted to get a hoodie or an other piece of clothing, but all of the ones I could find were just boring. With Tower of Terror's closing, again, I wanted to get something to remember it by, but again, there was nothing that good being offered.

For the most part, when it comes to mugs, toys, etc. the merchandise is fine, but with clothing and the like, they just have been falling flat in recent years, I feel. Does anyone feel this way?
        I've never been a big fan of Disneyland merch. I generally find it to be too gaudy and over the top. A few years ago I bought a simple ringer t-shirt with a faded Mickey Mouse on it. Since then I’ve seen a lot of other people with the same shirt. Clearly there’s a market for more subtle designs, yet Disney doesn’t produce this stuff.

Comment

I just notice a little to much up pricing. I'm very picky about what I'll wear. So I see a shirt I like and reasonably I'd pay $50. for it but, its $65. I go into the magic shop and ask for a simple trick. The guy shows me two. One is $50. the other is $40.? Maybe I'm getting older. Maybe I'm getting cheaper? The stuff I like seems a little out of my price range. Even with the AP discount the only thing I feel is a good deal is breakfast, lunch and dinner!
          My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

During my last AP year at DL, 2014, I noticed that the merchandise didn't change all that much and with the increased number of APs it really surprised me. Contrast that with my handful of visits to SFMM last year which were a few months apart, but the t-shirt selection noticeably changed from visit to visit, with different rides and designs being offered each time. There was some overlap and some designs would come and go, but it made it much more appealing to "shop" there.

But if DL perceived a "problem" with their merchandise I'm sure they would be addressing it so I'd assume they think everything's fine (i.e., profits are acceptable).

Comment

I think some of the best stuff like the Dooney & Burke stuff and the Vans Disney items are pretty great and with the discount they are not bad at all. With the amount of research and surveying they do, I think if the selection tends toward the basic at times it is because that is what the mass market wants. Sad? Perhaps, but still true.

Comment

A lot of it is meh... and generic.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Scottie View Post
                  I just notice a little to much up pricing. I'm very picky about what I'll wear. So I see a shirt I like and reasonably I'd pay $50. for it but, its $65. I go into the magic shop and ask for a simple trick. The guy shows me two. One is $50. the other is $40.? Maybe I'm getting older. Maybe I'm getting cheaper? The stuff I like seems a little out of my price range. Even with the AP discount the only thing I feel is a good deal is breakfast, lunch and dinner!
                  I totally agree with this. Whats crazy is as recent as a year ago you could get a shirt there for 20-25 bucks. Now shirts are 45 or 50 bucks. It's insane. I used to actually buy something there each visit but I havent't even bought anything since about summer 2016, and I visit a lot.

Even thin material women's sweatshirts that i wanted to get for my SO were 65 bucks a piece. I just cant justify it at all. I could go into any store outside of DL and get a Minnie jacket for 15 bucks or so.
                  Last edited by Nesboy43; 03-07-2017, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Okay...seems like the right place to vent my "mug grievance."

I used to get new Disney coffee mugs all the time. Fresh ones made me happy with my morning coffee, But has anyone noticed that all they have now are ones that are super heavy (inferior ceramics?) and they don't have handles that are comfortably designed? And that are so big they could be a pitcher instead of a mug? In other words, all show, no go?

Just wondered if I'm the only one who has given up the Happy Mug Habit.

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
                      For many of us who purchased and collected Disneyland merchandise in its first three decades, post-Pressler DL merch is pathetically unimaginative. With Eisner's approval, Pressler gutted the decades-long tradition of merchandise being part of the themed show experience of each individual land, and replaced it with a business model that treated all DL and WDW stores as members of the same retail chain. He shut down the department of buyers who scoured the world for unique items (especially antiques for the One-of-a-Kind Shop), and introduced generic merch that was duplicated at DL and WDW. The result was the uninspired, unimaginative merchandise philosophy that still reigns today.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by CoalingaLucy View Post
                        I think some of the best stuff like the Dooney & Burke stuff and the Vans Disney items are pretty great and with the discount they are not bad at all. With the amount of research and surveying they do, I think if the selection tends toward the basic at times it is because that is what the mass market wants. Sad? Perhaps, but still true.
                        I have my eye on one of the new Dooneys. I love the pattern, but it doesn't really 'check all the boxes' for what I like in a bag. It's also about $50 more than similar models and smaller than my HM Dooney. Can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger. I'm hoping they have that particular one in the parks so I can really look it over.
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Disney Merchandise is generic and made very cheap...there very little unique items is for Disneyland !
                          Most are duplicated for DL and WDW ,
                          also I have ,NO need or want ,for Disney Parks IP Merchandise imo
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                            Okay...seems like the right place to vent my "mug grievance."

I used to get new Disney coffee mugs all the time. Fresh ones made me happy with my morning coffee, But has anyone noticed that all they have now are ones that are super heavy (inferior ceramics?) and they don't have handles that are comfortably designed? And that are so big they could be a pitcher instead of a mug?
                            I still occasionally find a mug whose design I like, but my bigger mug problem is that none of them ever seem to be machine washable. For me that's a dealbreaker, so no new mugs for me for a few years now.

Comment

I agree that Disney parks merch is for the most part uninspired. However, there are interesting items to be found here and there. I like the "Twenty Eight and Main" items. Some of the stuff at Disneyana is good. But much of the park merch is just meh. However, if guests don't buy the good stuff and continue to buy the cheaper generic stuff . . . we get more of the cheap stuff. Sadly, that's what it's come down to. Even the special merch they created for AP Days is just AWFUL. But folks are still waiting in line to buy it . . . so, Disney is going to make us even more of that same awful crap in the future because it sold well.
                              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                              Save

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X