Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

Aerial Gondola system between Disneyland and California Adventure

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial Gondola system between Disneyland and California Adventure

There is a rumor that an aerial gondola system may be installed in Disney World. Why not install one in Disneyland as well? This seems like a great idea to me. It would give guests with Park Hopper passes an easy way to transition between the parks. It would also make a great incentive to up sell Park Hopper passes. The ride loading platform could be somewhere over by Star Tours and run behind Main Street. It could go over the Esplanade and the other loading platform could be near Bugs Land.

Are these legal in California? I remember hearing rumors that they were no longer legal in California, not sure if they were true or not.

Comment

If it meets ADA requirements and fire codes, why not?

Comment

Those codes are a problem, because they require safe exit points every like thirty feet, or something. Unless you put the entrance and exit of the attraction right at the gates to each park, it would create an ugly situation of towers all over the place with elevators for exit. Also, there is the issue with lines backing up due to every guest trying to board being required to have, at least, a park hopper ticket. In one way, having an attraction span the two parks would possibly advertise the park hopper option, but the attraction spanning the two parks would have to be something people would go out of their way to board, and a simple gondola with safety exits every few yards isn't going to do that.

Comment

There is still a long beautiful one in San Diego. I would love it. Please!

https://seaworldparks.com/seaworld-s...e-Skyride/?m=1

Comment

Originally posted by CoalingaLucy View Post
            There is still a long beautiful one in San Diego. I would love it. Please!

https://seaworldparks.com/seaworld-s...e-Skyride/?m=1
            Thats neat, looking up on the detail of that ride there are a few things to keep in mind.

Bayside Skyride is a 1967 VonRoll type 101 gondola ride located in the northwest corner of the park near the "Cirque Electrique" show. It travels over part of Mission Bay for a 6-minute ride on two 80-foot (24 m) towers, and lands on the other side before returning for a full loop. The Sea World Skyride has the longest span between towers out of any VonRoll Skyride ever built—925 feet (282 m). From 1967 to 1988, the Skyride was known as the Sea World Atlantis Skyride, and took riders to the Sea World Atlantis Restaurant which was located on the opposite end of the ride across the lagoon. After the restaurant closed, the ride remained, but took riders on a full loop, passing through the second station instead of stopping.
            It was built prior to the stricter ADA building guidelines and this ride was pretty much grandfathered in its current state. I would think if Sea World would to do any considerable changes to the ride they would need to update it to be ADA accessible. (It could be now I dont know 100%)

Loving Disney Since 2006!
            Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

I wouldn't want to give anyone the chance to drop anything on my head. I'll stick with the new monorail station in DCA idea.
              My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post

Thats neat, looking up on the detail of that ride there are a few things to keep in mind.

It was built prior to the stricter ADA building guidelines and this ride was pretty much grandfathered in its current state. I would think if Sea World would to do any considerable changes to the ride they would need to update it to be ADA accessible. (It could be now I dont know 100%)
                Ya could be. We need a more tolerant and human solution to those ADA challenges. If folks can't use something we should find a way to make it possible. It is 2017 and I don't think the solution is oh well can't do it because it is too difficult thanks to the ADA. Kinda shows the flaws of the law in a way too.

Thanks for the info, it is a neat ride, if you haven't gone on it I say go the next time you are in America's Finest City.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooropa View Post
                  There is a rumor that an aerial gondola system may be installed in Disney World. Why not install one in Disneyland as well?
                  Because...at the Disneyland Resort the park entrances are only 100 yards apart from each other, if that. They're not miles apart from each other like in Florida. People,... just WALK! It isn't going to kill you. In fact pretty soon your walk will be reduced because the steam trains will start running again and you can board the train at any of the stations and then get off at Main St., at which point you are practically in spitting distance of DCAs entrance. Plus the lines for that skyway would be HORRENDOUS, especially with them having to check everyone for park hoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooropa View Post
                    There is a rumor that an aerial gondola system may be installed in Disney World. Why not install one in Disneyland as well? This seems like a great idea to me. It would give guests with Park Hopper passes an easy way to transition between the parks. It would also make a great incentive to up sell Park Hopper passes. The ride loading platform could be somewhere over by Star Tours and run behind Main Street. It could go over the Esplanade and the other loading platform could be near Bugs Land.
                    Would you have to tear down the Primeval World diorama to clear a path for the gondolas? Where would they land in DCA? Behind Hollywood? And what about the backstage view? Part of the reason the Imagineers wanted to remove the original Skyway was to eliminate the rather unsightly views of the roofs of Disneyland.

I'm not really sold on the need to have transportation between the two parks. Especially when they are literally a football field apart.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                      Plus the lines for that skyway would be HORRENDOUS, especially with them having to check everyone for park hoppers.
                      Actually not that I think it would ever happen because we don't need a Gondola between parks, but the check for a park hopper would be as simple as using a handheld scanner. "Ticket please", scan, "Please board" or "Sorry, you can't board please go to City Hall or a Ticket Booth to upgrade to a park hopper". Less than 30 seconds per group. Only delay would be if the guest didn't have their ticket out.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                        Because...at the Disneyland Resort the park entrances are only 100 yards apart from each other, if that. They're not miles apart from each other like in Florida. People,... just WALK! It isn't going to kill you. In fact pretty soon your walk will be reduced because the steam trains will start running again and you can board the train at any of the stations and then get off at Main St., at which point you are practically in spitting distance of DCAs entrance. Plus the lines for that skyway would be HORRENDOUS, especially with them having to check everyone for park hoppers.

But it serves a purpose that the original Skyway served that is missing now: the ability to move people from point A to point B without the walkways. That helps to reduce crowding.
                        Last edited by amyuilani; 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I just think it is a beautiful and fun ride system.

Comment

They are legal in CA. They are used all over the Sierra's and in new construction. I can't say for sure but I would bet they have some sort of ADA compliance system kind of like the Space Mountain implementation. Some of these can transport up to 5,000 people per hour in just one direction. Don't forget it's a ride too. They can theme the thing anyway they want.

Comment

The San Diego Zoo has one as well which is GREAT because walking the hills and stairs at that place takes a major toll on the legs. It would be interesting to see how they would implement one and if it would have a major effect on the theme-ing of each area. Personally though, I would just want to see a DCA stop for the Monorail.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X