X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackness
    Banned User
    • Feb 2015

The swings are the only ride I have not been on frankly because it looks like I might not fit in the narrow seat. I fit into everything else but snug enough on somethings to not push my luck on wedging into those little tush cages. I also have a lack of trust in the chain system in place chains that repeatedly tugged swung and laxed will eventually fail it only takes one link then a ( no pun intended ) chain reaction occurs where each additional chain would quickly fatigue sometimes in seconds. I am probably close to max weight for that ride and so why take the risk. It does look fun though.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
      Sith Lord Extraordinaire
      • Aug 2016

I go on everything so I am the wrong person to ask. LOL So to be honest, the answer is - yes you are! No but seriously, if somebody has fears they should never be forced to do something. But I have found that usually fears are an unfounded phobia of something we ourselves create in our mind. I was scared to death of most rides as a 7-yr-old. And wouldn't go on coasters until I was 14! Heck, I went on Pirates a few times when I was 3 or 4 and then avoided it for a good 5 years. Anyways, my point is anybody can be fearful of rides and still end up on everything. I am proof of that. I go to Magic Mtn and ride every single coaster they have now. I love 'em! I actually love the adrenaline rush of being scared.

As I get older I notice sometimes I get a little dizzy...so I take ginger capsules and dramamine now and it cures the dizzy spells.

As an adult, the only ride at Disney that I literally was nervous about in line was Mission: SPACE. I kept thinking of these nightmarish scenarios in my imagination of me getting horribly sick and barfing into a bag and feeling awful. I was even asking people if they had been on it in line to get reactions. Well, I got on sweating bullets...and it was an awesome experience!!!! I was laughing the whole ride and was glad I didn't chicken out and do the tame version. It's now one of my favorite attractions at WDW.

So ask yourself what it is about those swings that scare you? Is it the height? The way it spins? The speed? The fact that it makes you feel like you are flying somewhat out of control? Address the fear and think what is the worst that could realistically happen. You get dizzy maybe? Best case scenario is you end up loving it and wanting to go back on it again!

I have a tip for anybody that has ever been scared of a ride. I used this when I was about 11 or 12 to overcome my irrational fear of rides. Look around in line and see the people going on or go to the exit and see the people's reactions getting off the ride. When I was a kid and afraid I would see everybody smiling, laughing. Little kids who were 7 or 8, adults and even old people in their 60s and 70s! This would give me the courage and I would say to myself, "Well if Grandpa Joe and Aunt Martha and little Timmy are going on it - so can I!!!" It always worked. LOL

Hoping you try the swings. Only go on if the wait is 15 min or less though. But it is really fun! I like putting my legs straight forward and putting my arms out like I am a bird soaring! I think if you can do Soarin' then you can do the swings. It's a similar feeling but outside and just continuously going in one direction.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
        Sith Lord Extraordinaire
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Azfalcon View Post
        When I ride the fun wheel I always use the swinging gondolas..I love those lol
        The swinging gondolas look way worse than they actually are, too. They are tons of fun! And they actually don't go nearly as high up in the sky as the non-swinging gondolas go. Plus, the wait time for the swinging ones is always about half as long as the non-swinging.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
          Sith Lord Extraordinaire
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Nettenutt03 View Post
          I will ride the swings but they make be very dizzy so I have to plan it for when we are going to be sitting after for a while. But I will not go on the fun wheel. I have too scared of heights for that. I might do it one day but I will be white knuckling it for sure.
          Have you tried ginger? Or non-drowsy dramamine? Or the wrist strap things?

Comment

• DarthBrett78
            Sith Lord Extraordinaire
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
            There are certain rides that I can't do because of motion sickness so I don't go on those. But the only one that I won't do is Mickey's Wheel of Death swinging baskets.

Although I have a feeling I'll be on it in a week or so. My son and I are going week after next and since the trip is my gift to him I've told him I'll do whatever he wants, no questions, unless it will make me sick.

So if you hear loud screaming from that general direction in about 10 days, that will be me!
            And I bet you'll be on here saying you loved it!

Comment

• AlohaStitch
              "Always On The Move..."
              • Jun 2005

I have problems with Soaring. I've been on it a few times and think the imagery is breathtaking, but I always feel like I am going to fall out of the seat. So pretty much in terror the whole time. As for the swings. Bee on on them at Knott's years ago and loved them, but a little hesitant now that I'm older. However I love Screaming and Goofy's Sky School. So if your a wuss, then so am I...and we can bond over our wussiness. Lol.. You just go and and have fun on those that you do love.
              Originally posted by migo
              I poop with joy!
              Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• javaMom64
                M Ticket
                • Oct 2016

Everybody had their Waterloo. I hate drop rides - more precisely, that awful pause before you're dropped. Have been considering the swinging gondolas on the Wheel, just to try it. Most coasters I am fine. The other dread at the Resort? Matterhorn - my knees!!!! Why the heck did they change those seats?!

Comment

• amyuilani
                  Banned User
                  • Jul 2008

The only ride I actually get sick on is Star Tours. All of that jostling gives me a terrible headache. If I am not prepared for it (several Advil in my system for hours), I can be out of commission for at least an hour after that ride, so it's a waste of time for me to try. Other rides will churn me up, but they tend to be over quickly and I can just close my eyes until it's done. This time was the first time I really felt queasy after Screamin' and Space Mountain. Must be a sign of old age.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
                    Sith Lord Extraordinaire
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
                    The only ride I actually get sick on is Star Tours. All of that jostling gives me a terrible headache. If I am not prepared for it (several Advil in my system for hours), I can be out of commission for at least an hour after that ride, so it's a waste of time for me to try. Other rides will churn me up, but they tend to be over quickly and I can just close my eyes until it's done. This time was the first time I really felt queasy after Screamin' and Space Mountain. Must be a sign of old age.
                    Yeah it sucks! Haha I never got remotely dizzy from rides until I hit about 31, maybe 32 years old. The headache thing is awful. Tower of Terror sometimes gives me a nasty headache. I think if I have an empty stomach is when it happens, though.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
                      Sith Lord Extraordinaire
                      • Aug 2016

BTW, just want to make it clear I was joking in my first reply. I would never call somebody a wuss in a mean-spirited way. More like friendly ribbing. We all have things that bother us. For some it's heights. Some it's flying. Some it's the dark. And for some it's snakes...why did it have to be snakes?

Comment

• amyuilani
                        Banned User
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Yeah it sucks! Haha I never got remotely dizzy from rides until I hit about 31, maybe 32 years old. The headache thing is awful. Tower of Terror sometimes gives me a nasty headache. I think if I have an empty stomach is when it happens, though.
                        Tower was always ok for me because it was only two or three drops, and they're so fast. It wasn't like Maliboomer, which shot you up and down so many times you feared someone below would know what you had for lunch.

The moral of the story is dramamine and caffeine (to counter the drowsiness from dramamine) from now on. Otherwise I can't take the rides the way I used to.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
                          Sith Lord Extraordinaire
                          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post

Tower was always ok for me because it was only two or three drops, and they're so fast. It wasn't like Maliboomer, which shot you up and down so many times you feared someone below would know what you had for lunch.

The moral of the story is dramamine and caffeine (to counter the drowsiness from dramamine) from now on. Otherwise I can't take the rides the way I used to.
                          Maliboomer never affected me for some odd reason. It's funny how some stuff does and others don't. Maybe the fresh air helped? And non-drowsy dramamine and caffeine is exactly what I sometimes do! Haha! With a ginger capsule as well. Kind off subject, but do you have bad days and good days? Sometimes I don't take anything because I forgot it and I am fine. And then some days anything gets me dizzy. I've also been on stuff after drinking and have had zero issues. I wish I knew why some days I am affected and others I am not.

Comment

• amyuilani
                            Banned User
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Maliboomer never affected me for some odd reason. It's funny how some stuff does and others don't. Maybe the fresh air helped? And non-drowsy dramamine and caffeine is exactly what I sometimes do! Haha! With a ginger capsule as well. Kind off subject, but do you have bad days and good days? Sometimes I don't take anything because I forgot it and I am fine. And then some days anything gets me dizzy. I've also been on stuff after drinking and have had zero issues. I wish I knew why some days I am affected and others I am not.
                            I definitely have my good days and bad days. A lot depends on what I eat for breakfast - bacon and eggs vs. something from a drive-through somewhere. But I am also the most sensitive person I know when it comes to motion sickness. I have never been on a cruise because I will throw up before we hit the open water. I have a hard time being a passenger in a car and have thrown up on a 1-hour flight. I hate being so sensitive, so I have Dramamine on me at all times.

I also think that as long as I have a decent amount of time between rides, I will have settled in time to enjoy the next. My brother and I were both queasy from Screamin and the Toy Story line was only 30 minutes. We both needed to close our eyes between screens. But we waited an hour to ride RSR after and were just fine. It all depends. Sometimes I treat rides like leg day at the gym - get the hardest ones out of the way first and the rest will be fine.

Comment

• DarthBrett78
                              Sith Lord Extraordinaire
                              • Aug 2016

I always have gotten sick if I am a passenger in a car! Especially if I am in the backseat or am with a bad driver. I also can't look at anything if I am a passenger. Don't ever ask me to check my phone for movie times or traffic - I refuse because I know it will wreck my evening! lol

You mentioned closing your eyes. That always makes it waaaay worse for me. In fact, Mission SPACE specifically said to keep your eyes open and focused on the screen to avoid getting sick. Which did the trick for me. I even went on MS after having 3 or 4 beers at EPCOT once and was totally fine. Which just makes the whole getting dizzy sometimes and sometimes not even more baffling.

I agree with you. What is in my stomach definitely makes a big difference usually. Potassium supposedly helps curb motion sickness, so I usually eat an extra 2 bananas the morning I go.

Comment

• rockabillylaker
                                MiceChatter
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Azfalcon View Post
                                ao I have ridden everything at DCA except the symphony swings. They freak me out. I am determined to th this year. Anyone else have a ride they refuse to go on?
                                Nope. Comes with age. Not sure how old you are but, I'm 34 and cannot handle too much spinning like I used to. At our local carnival, that's all it is, spinning. I go on 2 rides and I'm done.

Comment

• BiggestDisneyFan
                                  Proud of my erate view
                                  • Oct 2008

I would ride the swings, but they won't let me. Biggest Disney Fan is too big for swings, they say. Otherwise, the only thing that was ever at the DLR, that I likely wouldn't ride, would have been the Maliboomer. Too much jerky up and down motion in a little seat. It would make me feel like I'm really falling.
                                  Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

• frihauf
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Dec 2016

Yep. The teacups and symphony swings. Anything that spins makes me blow.

Comment

• frihauf
                                      New MiceChatter
                                      • Dec 2016

the teacups and the swings. Anything that spins makes me blow.

Comment

• sbk1234
                                        formerly very helpful
                                        • Sep 2007

I tried the swinging gondolas in Mickey's Death Wheel once. It was the closest I ever came to actually vomiting on a ride in my entire life, tied with the Harry Potter ride at Universal. I actually had them let me off after only one time around.
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

• amyuilani
                                          Banned User
                                          • Jul 2008

I think it's hilarious that this innocuous-looking ferris wheel is being referred to as a "Death Wheel" by all of us.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X