Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Blunders, black eyes, and ball drops: The Disneyland we wish had never happened

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunders, black eyes, and ball drops: The Disneyland we wish had never happened

Disneyland and DCA are imperfect places. Not everything will be a big hit. Some rides are not worth the wait, some shows are best left on the drawing board, and some delicacies...aren't. What are some of the things you wish DCA or Disneyland had never created?

(Please nothing about the ToT/GotG change. There are already several threads dedicated to that change.)

Probably the worst ride ever created in the history of Disney

Superstar Limo
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Comment

Superstar Limo
      Light Magic

(BTW, great thread title!)

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-15-2017, 02:35 PM.
      "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Luigi tires. It's obviously gone now but it was dumb to try to resurrect it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFrenchToast View Post
          Luigi tires. It's obviously gone now but it was dumb to try to resurrect it in the first place.
          Yeah I always wondered why they did that. The flying saucers weren't that big of a hit when the park first opened, so why did they think it would be any different now? Plus, people who have no core strength couldn't get their saucers to move, so it was such a dud.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFrenchToast View Post
            I sadly never got to experience this, either. From everything I have heard, it was just executed poorly by Disney. There were too many vehicles on the platform at one time, they were too heavy and very hard to control or move and the fans weren't powerful enough to move them. I wish I could have gone on them once simply because the Flying Saucers were years before my time and I always wanted to experience those.

As for what I think should never have been put in at Disneyland - Rocket Rods. Or at least they should have never cut the budget back on it and should have done it right with banked turns. It would probably still be operating if they had. Just goes to show that cutting costs isn't always smart in the long-term for a business.

Stitch's (Not-So) Great Escape gets honorable mention even though it's at WDW. That attraction literally and figuratively stinks. And the fact that the show that it replaced was extremely awesome and was a unique Disney experience just makes it even more difficult to swallow.

Comment

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
              Yeah I always wondered why they did that. The flying saucers weren't that big of a hit when the park first opened, so why did they think it would be any different now? Plus, people who have no core strength couldn't get their saucers to move, so it was such a dud.
              I agree on Luigi's. Have to disagree on the flying saucers -- they were always crowded (partly because the hourly throughput was so low!). But if you were a heavy enough kid (*cough*), you could get those suckers moving fast enough across the arena to make a nice ramming-speed collision with your dorky little brother (*cough*), who was too lightweight to get his saucer to move (*cough*).

Good times.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I never tried them myself, but I remember Andy Castro reporting back on the black-bun sandwich burger thingies in TLT as being pretty gross.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Stitch's (Not-So) Great Escape gets honorable mention even though it's at WDW. That attraction literally and figuratively stinks. And the fact that the show that it replaced was extremely awesome and was a unique Disney experience just makes it even more difficult to swallow.
                  I could literally grab a drink and watch the crying and horrified kids leave Alien Encounter. That ride scared the "excrement" out of people and I wish it still existed. At least I have a pin to remember it by. For me its the subs. That ride was ruined when they made it Finding Nemo subs.
                  My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Ah, Luigi's Tires. That dude from Pixar really wanted them in there. The tires were kind of cool, and looked like flying tires with very stupid hubcaps, since the hubcap area was where passengers sat. The old Flying Saucer attraction boarded more passengers at a quicker pace, which left Flying Tires a problem from the start. The tires became a danger, too, because they were quite large in circumference, which caused a problem when people would disembark, and openly step directly on the tire, thinking it would act as a step to the floor.

It didn't.

The injuries caused by the attempt at stepping on the tire were many, and Disney was tired of dealing with it. My wife was among one of those injured.

I haven't had a chance to ride the Rockin Rollers that took the place of Flying Tires, but hope to at the end of the month.

Rocket Rods looked fun, but I doubt it would have been around anymore, even with banked turns, because of the frequency for blown tires. I suppose that Disney would have probably refurbished the cars early to get around the blowing tire issue that the rods suffered from.

What do I wish Disney had never made? That's a good question. I hate to suggest this, because I like the attractions that are in the land, but I wish Disney had never labeled the land Tomorrowland. While perhaps easier to show off a world of Tomorrow back in 1955, these days, even suggesting a futuristic technology is insane, because whatever it is, it will be obsolete by the time whatever attraction it is finishes being built. So, instead of a World of Tomorrow, we have a world of Star Wars, Star Wars, old Star Wars movie clips, Space, Pizza, Coke, Star Wars again, a Freeway System simulator from 1955, a Monorail, Subs, fighting for batteries with a doll from 1994! Oh, yeah, the spinning rockets at the front of the land, which are pretty, but take up an unfortunate amount of room.

I enjoy almost all of the attractions in Tomorrowland, and see it as one of the more attraction rich lands in the resort, but the only things that scream Tomorrow are the Underwater Hydrophone allowing us to hear fish speak in English: a technology so precise that it even gives some of the fish accents, and Space Mountain. I would totally put Star Tours in there, too, but that happened long ago in a galaxy far far away.

What would make the land more futuristic? That's a good question. I have to admit that Innoventions was a step in the right direction, but suffered the fate of having new exhibits growing outdated really quickly. They could bring the Honda Robot back, he was slow, but demonstrated current day robotics, and how far behind science fiction we really are: effectively removing any kids from Fantasyland. But that was ok, because just a few steps away from that theater, and downstairs, you could be brought back to Fantasyland through a bedtime story of Peter Pan, or you could go into the Sister's room, and try on her clothes through the use of a magic mirror, that was removed way too soon. Innoventions, while showing some cool stuff off, didn't have the excitement factor to make it worth visiting for most guests who knew what they were getting into walking into that building.

An idea everyone here has stated is electronic cars for Autopia. How about Solar Cars for Autopia, or a hybrid between plain old electric for rainy days, and solar power for sunny days? The Agrifuture concept is a good one, and will unfortunately be necessary in the future to sustain our bulging population. A step further would be to have every form of trash recyclable or reusable in that land, only, although I see that leading to complaints from earth groups.

Speaking of Solar, perhaps turn the down on Space Mountain into full Solar panels, powering all of Tomorrowland, by itself, or perhaps the entire resort.

Possible problems with the ideas I've put down here are that they aren't attached to any existing IP, which means that they have less of a chance of success for taking off, which means that investors are going to be prone to avoid the ideas completely, and ultimately means that they won't happen.

Anybody have any ideas on what could make Tomorrowland a true world demonstrating Tomorrow?

Comment

Projections and fireworks on the castle.
                      "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McDuck View Post
                        Anybody have any ideas on what could make Tomorrowland a true world demonstrating Tomorrow?
                        If there wasn't the potential for political backlash, then I believe much of Tomorrowland could be aided by featuring attractions using sustainable energy. You mentioned solar panels. There should also be nods to recycling, biodiesel, and wind or hydro energy. They tried agrifuture by planting edible plans around Tomorrowland, but I don't know how much of that lasted.

Comment

I wish they never took out PM for RR. ( Curse you Eisner! ) It could have been updated easily to include new features making it more popular and as many have said Millennials would have probably have loved the attraction as is. They could have changed out TRON for StarWars in the 90's and then Wall-E or another Disney SciFi property in the video section and added some more dressing thought making it more entertaining. I would argue it is the greatest missed attraction in the park.
                          Disneyland, the greatest escape made by man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McDuck View Post
                            With apologies to the thread for going somewhat off topic...

There's no reason a new Tomorrowland needs to focus on household gadgets and urban infrastructures that will be dated in 25 years. From astrophysics to molecular biology, the cutting edge of today's scientific research is already weirder, wilder, and more spectacular than most science fiction. Tomorrowland could take us from Earth-type planets orbiting distant stars to n-dimensional universes; from the unimaginably small to the inconceivably large; from a present when peak oil looms, to a future when fusion power has transformed civilization and new technologies have taken humanity to the stars. Artificial intelligences, nanomedicine machines, the list is endless.

If Disney were to convene a think tank of the world's top futurists, similar to the science and engineering advisers they hired in the 50s for the Man in Space series, Tomorrowland could become an amazing showcase of future reality -- and a land that captures the optimism of its founding theme.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-15-2017, 03:32 PM.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Fan View Post
                              Projections and fireworks on the castle.
                              I feel this way as well. Doing these shows this way has had an enormous impact on the nighttime atmosphere in the park. An attraction is an attraction, and I can avoid those I don't care for, but the push of people into finite space this way is just extraordinarily impactful.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X