Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Blunders, black eyes, and ball drops: The Disneyland we wish had never happened

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
    How about some historical blunders for some perspective:

The Mickey Mouse Club Circus: Essentially Disneyland's first seasonal promotion, Walt enthusiastically built a circus in the back of the park. He had grand ideas for that circus - that eventually it would change into a wild west show or wild animal show. It opened for the park's first Christmas season, in November of 1955. Each day there would be a circus parade through the park to advertise the new show. The circus was a separate admission of course, and reserved seating for the circus cost the same as general park admission at $1. Not only did it fail to attract many guests, the operational challenges and financial cost of running that circus hampered the early growth of the park. The operations managers at the park had to beg Walt to admit failure and remove it, and he eventually agreed sometime in January, after only three months. It turned out that kids didn't want to see a circus, they wanted to see Mickey Mouse.

Disneyland had lots of early issues and blunders, but the important thing to remember is that they worked to correct all of them. That is, of course, why it's still here today.
    You got hammer ,and hit the nail on the head about Mickey Mouse Club Circus:
    Walt Disney learn Fast,what the guest want and did not want!

IT was movie
    "Toby Tyler with the Circus " they made after Mickey Mouse Club Circus close staring" Kevin Anthony "Moochie" Corcoran" !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM.
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Love a good Debate Mr. Wiggins and Mr Liver!

I do learn a lot good Disney stuff, from both of them
      matter if, I agreed or not
      Last edited by Eagleman; 03-18-2017, 05:37 PM.
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        Disneyland's current management has the benefit of 60 years of previous experience, which they often ignore; and ginormously deep-pocket funding, which they are often too cheap to utilize. And it ignores the reality that Disneyland's current management won't take a risk on anything unless it's a per-proven money making brand.
        I agreed
        Today leadership ,does not want to learn from past history,when comes to running Disney Parks
        (specialty Disneyland).
        It's about there
        "Deep-Pocket"
        Innovation isn't in the business model of today's D I $ N E Y !.
        imo
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonCM View Post
          Things I consider misses at Disneyland?

-Bountiful Valley Farm was obvious filler to accommodate the ITTBAB and not much else. If they had done some Epcot-like edutainment pavilion attraction instead, I'd probably would have been more in tune with it. Water play area and tractor climbing? No.
          -Tomorrowland 98 was such a bust - so much hype for a paint job and attraction gutting. Also, I miss the PeopleMover.
          -Probably because I wasn't cool enough, but I was never a fan of Videopolis. I'm sure it'd be a hit if it came back in the Hollywood Backlot.
          -Circus on Parade, cause I seriously hate clowns.
          -The State Fair was another promo I wasn't fond of. Although saying you rode a ferris wheel on the railroad track at Main Street Staion should count as double Disney cred, right?

most , I agreed, except The State Fair

Most people, would not remember, for it did not, last long .....
          Reason for the Ferris Wheel , on the railroad track at Main Street Station
          That when they was building Splash Mountain and the Railroad was close then.

I though the State Fair was Fun during that time.......imo
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by BNSF1995 View Post
            Rocket Rods. That is all.
            This.
            "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
              I never tried them myself, but I remember Andy Castro reporting back on the black-bun sandwich burger thingies in TLT as being pretty gross.
              Quite the contrary....they are incredible. I and my family are totally addicted to them.
              Originally posted by migo
              I poop with joy!
              Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

Rocket Rods - just dumb.
                Unlimited pass for ticket books!
                The Mur

Comment

I realize it has been 20 years now, but I wish Fastpass hadn't happened at all. I get the idea - hold your place in line while you go do something else. But FP was installed before the 2nd park opened, before the AP program was revamped, and before they realized they also had to expand to give the people not waiting in lines somewhere to go. As a CM, it was often a headache trying to pulse both FP and standby lines, and people were always mad at us for not letting them go. As a guest, it sucks when it feels like your line is stuck while you watch people fly by you. Furthermore, FP tickets are treated like doorbusters, and it's insane to know that RSR runs out of FP tickets for the entire day by 10am on busy days.

Looking back, I wish they had never done this and just kept queues as they were.

Comment

I waited to chime in on this and I see many of the same thoughts I would have posted. So here goes:

TL98 - What were they thinking? I won't go into this one, but Tomorrowland used to be great. I've done a few posts on TL so I won't go into it here.
                    Videopolis - A dance club in Fantasyland? The music could be heard in the depths of IASW and overwhelmed the entire area.

And the biggest boondoggle: The Grand California Hotel. One reason DCA can never compete with DL is space and the GCH hogs up far too much of it. Who's brilliant idea was it to put a resort inside the DCA berm? Oh yeah, that's right.
                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I realize it has been 20 years now, but I wish Fastpass hadn't happened at all. I get the idea - hold your place in line while you go do something else.
                      To me that's the point. What you feel is a blunder I find advantageous. Fastpass allows me to get everything done in the short amount of time I have in the parks.

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                      And the biggest boondoggle: The Grand California Hotel. One reason DCA can never compete with DL is space and the GCH hogs up far too much of it. Who's brilliant idea was it to put a resort inside the DCA berm? Oh yeah, that's right.
                      I think you're pointing the gun at the wrong suspect. GCH is brilliant in regard to allowing guests to stay on property (at an actual Disney hotel, not across the street on Harbor) and have direct access into a park. The blunder is on the other side of Disneyland Drive. The Paradise Pier hotel. It's too tall and can be seen inside the park. At least GCH isn't as tall and could be covered by trees, even though a building in the backwoods of Grizzly Peak isn't as much of an eyesore. There's a proposed new hotel doing north of DTD anyway, but most of all with PPH gone, DCA can expand west and gain 32 acres of land.

Comment

A big 50th fan here, so maybe I'm biased, but they never should have replaced Parade of Dreams for whatever dance party they had next. PoD had such intricately designed and beautifully done floats with a gorgeous score of Disney classics for... purple steel "floats" with modern pop music?

Comment

Disneyland and DCA are imperfect places. Not everything will be a big hit. Some rides are not worth the wait, some shows are best left on the drawing board, and some delicacies...aren't. What are some of the things you wish DCA or Disneyland had never created?

(Please nothing about the ToT/GotG change. There are already several threads dedicated to that change.)
                          Frozen Ever After at the Hyperion Theater

I will admit, I'm still jaded and bummed Aladdin is gone so call this sour grapes.

Comment

Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

To me that's the point. What you feel is a blunder I find advantageous. Fastpass allows me to get everything done in the short amount of time I have in the parks.
                            I realize that was the point, but the adverse affects were not met with acceptable solutions, and today there still aren't. There are not more shops and restaurants. There are not more theaters. There are not more people-sucking queues for rides. There wasn't and still isn't anywhere to go, so if I don't want to spend money, what else are my options?

Comment

I realize that was the point, but the adverse affects were not met with acceptable solutions, and today there still aren't. There are not more shops and restaurants. There are not more theaters. There are not more people-sucking queues for rides. There wasn't and still isn't anywhere to go, so if I don't want to spend money, what else are my options?
                              Exactly. I'm trying to find the posts from last year that listed the DL rides, restaurants and shops now compared to pre-Pressler. The number is significantly less. Add Fastpass, and it compounds the crowding on the walkways.
                              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Yeah I always wondered why they did that. The flying saucers weren't that big of a hit when the park first opened, so why did they think it would be any different now? Plus, people who have no core strength couldn't get their saucers to move, so it was such a dud.
                                My friend Rick and I would go check out Luigi's tires every time I was there (Rick lives in Anaheim and rode Luigi's tires a time or two). Every time we'd go check it out it never really looked like anyone on the ride was having that much fun, the tires weren't moving a whole lot. The last time we were standing there watching one of the guests riding the tire lost her Minnie Mouse headband during the ride, and proceeded to try and climb out over her other friends while the ride was still running so she could rescue the headband. That was sort of the final "Nah, not interested" moments for me. Never went on it.... but LOVE the dancing cars ride that replaced it, especially when I get to ride it to "Mambo Italiano".

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X