Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Food and wine pros and cons

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Food and wine pros and cons

I attended the food and wine festival yesterday and while there were a lot of things I liked about it there are also some I didn't like. First I love that there's a wide variety of new interesting food in the park and the service at the booths was great. Second the beer selection was huge. Had the Karl Strauss amber and it was tasty. Now for the dislikes. Number one is the music. It throws off the whole vibe of Disney and it kinda bothers me. Makes me feel like I'm at six flags almost. I don't want to listen to snoop dog at a Disney park (no offense to snoop I do enjoy his music in the outside world). Second is disneys obsession with "slaw" . Why does everything have to have slaw!? (Not a fan of slaw) lol and also the crazy descriptions of the food items are honestly confusing for a normal non foodie. For example: sustainable salmon tataki with avocado-wasabi puree and Furikake dust. what the heck is this!? lol but all around a nice little event. question is what are your pros and cons for food and wine fest?

I am not going this year, but that's good feedback. I am hearing the sentiment about the music echoed. Maybe something more jazzy or reggae-based in the future since it's an uppity festival? And the slaw is probably because it's easier to produce mass quantities and serve smaller portions that way.

Comment

If you are looking for "something more jazzy" go back on the days Phat Cat Swinger is playing. https://www.phatcatswinger.com

Comment

They play Snoop Dogg? Lol. I haven't gone yet but will be this weekend. I love food variety so this is definitely up my alley.

The slaw thing is to allow for acidic elements to be added to a dish easily. It's supposed to counteract sweetness or spice and/or heighten flavors. Kind of like how salt enhances chocolates.

I think laymens terms would would be a good idea for "non-foodies". For example the "sustainable salmon tataki with avocado-wasabi purée and furikake dust". Is just very lightly seared salmon with avocado and wasabi blended and a dust of Japanese dry seasoning that contains seaweed, dried fish, sesame seeds, and salt. The description is long as hell but it breaks things down so they know what they might be eating. Me... I just go at it blindly sometimes and hope for the best LOL!

Comment

Since the festival celebrates Californian cuisine, it'd be great if they brought back the old DCA music for the festival. It's more upbeat and totally celebrates California.

Comment

Originally posted by clippers6 View Post
            Since the festival celebrates Californian cuisine, it'd be great if they brought back the old DCA music for the festival. It's more upbeat and totally celebrates California.
            Agree with this. I wasn't thrilled with the one band I heard. I said it in another thread, the singer sounded like it was all screaming. The band was ok sounding but when I hear songs that I know and are suppose to be sung that is what I want to hear. I don't need someone screaming it. Sounds terrible that way. I am hoping the next time we get over there it will end up being a different band.

As for the cuisine, I am a super picky eater. So for me seeing many different items this time around that I would try is nice. Usually there is to many things that are fish, steak of some kind, cilantro mixed in, or just something I don't like. So far I have tried three things and they were all tasty. While I do understand what you mean about the wording for the dishes, I take it they do it this way to "fancy" it up so to speak. LOL I just take a look at what it is and the picture they have by it. Then hope the ones I want to try don't end up having something I don't like in it or don't end up tasting bad. At this point I am trying to figure out some time to go back so I can try some more food. The drinks I can do without since I don't like wine and I have certain beer I drink so I just don't bother with those. Its not my thing.
            A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Princess View Post

Agree with this. I wasn't thrilled with the one band I heard. I said it in another thread, the singer sounded like it was all screaming. The band was ok sounding but when I hear songs that I know and are suppose to be sung that is what I want to hear. I don't need someone screaming it. Sounds terrible that way. I am hoping the next time we get over there it will end up being a different band.
              Maybe that was Tomasina. Was the singer female with dark hair? She sucks. Her band used to do shows at TLT but honestly it always sounded like she was just screaming the songs. Just not good. I'm disappointed she's doing shows at this festival too.

Comment

PROS:
                • Wide selection of offerings from across the state. Good quality, and plenty of CM's to keep the lines moving.
                • Storyboards on each booth that tell the unique California story of each offering; artichokes, garlic, cheeses, etc. Those are new this year, which is surprising since Disney tells us they are "storytellers" but didn't bother to try and tell a story with their Festivals until now.
                • Those shaded counters placed about. Epcot's festivals don't have those and they make you eat on top of trashcans. DCA's festival has eating nooks all over, gracious and classy.

CONS:
                • The Music! It's tacky, and trashy, and ruins the upscale vibe they are trying to create. It's like you are at a Six Flags. Just play stylish instrumental jazz, please.
                • The crafts for sale are not Californian. The soap cart is from Georgia, which is 2,500 miles from California. Surely they could find some local craftspeople and merchants to feature instead of East Coasters who have no part of the California culture or story (as nice as they may be). It's not called the California Food & Wine & Georgian Merchants Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFrenchToast View Post

Maybe that was Tomasina. Was the singer female with dark hair? She sucks. Her band used to do shows at TLT but honestly it always sounded like she was just screaming the songs. Just not good. I'm disappointed she's doing shows at this festival too.

Yes it was them. It was just really a nightmare. Not only was there the screaming but would have been nice to have better song choices as well. We only heard a few as we had passed and when we were in line for Little Mermaid. It was really disappointing. It seems that many of us are not thrilled with the music at it. Something Disney should take into consideration in the future with these events.
                  A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X