Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

UPGRADE

The forums will be upgraded to the latest software version on 9/26/17 at 9:30pm PDT. The upgrade should only take a few minutes. During the upgrade you might experience errors, but they will go away once the upgrade is completed. This is not the upgrade/move we have been discussing for the past few months. This is just normal, minor maintenance. Thank you.
2 of 3 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
3 of 3 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Replacements: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacements: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Hello everyone, I'm planning to do an open mind write up on the history of "rethemes" in light of guardians drawing closer. I've seen a lot of discussion on both sides with a variety of good points as well as trying to predict the future. I'm gonna try to take a historical approach to this, and this is where I need your help:

What are some notable rethemes of attractions that stick in your mind? I'm thinking of attractions such as stitch, or Mike and sully to the rescue. Something that doesn't just use the old show building, but capitalizes on using the same tech, track, or combination of the sorts. They can be from bad to good or good to bad and everything in between, just give me what you got and your personal opinions on them!

My first thought is the Submarine Voyage. IMHO, the change to the Finding Nemo attraction was a step backward. For most of the attraction, it seems that you're mostly just watching TV screens through your sub window, rather than seeing actual things (models) of sea encounters. ALso, rather than being a part of the story, as in the original, you are watching someone else's adventure. However, since the subs had been completely closed down for about 10 years, the new attraction sufficed.

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Journey into the imagination with Figment in Epcot - they tried reverting it back but it still not s good as the original

the People mover to Rocket Rods - it literally killed the ride

Superstar limo into monsters - this actually made it a better ride for once

norway ride at Epcot into frozen, - honestly is a better ride now, and seems to attract allot more people

the several 3d shows in magic eye theater

Carousel of progress > America Sings > Innoventions > star wars launch bay - seems to get more and more lack luster each time there is a change

Alien encounter to stitches get escape (magic kingdom) - i can't stand the awful fart smells, will never ride again

Test track 1.0 to test track 2.0 epcot - i love the TRON type theming however the ride is no longer exciting, i miss the hot and cold scenes

Muppets > preview center - got rid of a great ride, that just needed a newer muppet film

Just some of the ones I can think of off the top of my hea. Most of the re-themes just turn out bad.

All of the rides are specifically designed for that attraction from the start, throwing something over it doesn't make it better 90% of the time. that's why so many we're against the tower conversion.
      Last edited by BradleyC; 03-17-2017, 07:34 AM.
      Check Out my Instagram - http://instagram.com/bradinsocal

Comment

Swiss Family/Tarzan's Treehouse - In my opinion a very bad idea on Disney's part. Tarzan seems dated to have now and I think the original version was more timeless and fit in with the Adventure theme more.

Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars - Having never experienced the original, I tend to think this one was a marled improvement over the original. Of course, both ended up becoming severely dated at aome point. But man has still not actually been to Mars.

Enchanted Tiki Room/Under New Management - Wow. This one was definitely one of theee worst Disney ideas ever. The horrible music and dialogue for Under New Management was pretty forgettable. Luckily, Disney saw the error of their ways pretty quickly and eventually reverted back to the original show. Sometimes newer isn't always better.

Submarine Voyage/Submarines w/Nemo - Hmmm. I think most people were excited when Nemo was announced and opned simply because the Subs had been closed for nearly a decade and it was just awesome knowing the lagoon would be busy again. But I think Nemo has worn out it's welcome and it just doesn't work as well as the more serious original version did.

Alien Encounter/Stitch's Great Escape - Oh boy. Where to begin here? Disney created a fantastic show that was truly a unique experience at the parks. It was legitimately creepy and very intense and with a splash of dark humor to boot. AE showed that Disney wasn't afraid to sometimes go with a darker tone. Unfortunately, the masses couldn't or refused to acknowledge plenty of warnings stating it was not for kids and a very dark experience. So Disney felt the need to change it. And now we have the gimmicky, not very clever and now somewhat dated Stitch's Escape. I feel like Disney could and should bring AE back.

Magic Journeys/Captain EO/Honey I Shrunk the Audience/Path of the Jedi - Three very different movies and experiences in a span of 20 years. My personal fav was EO, though I loved Magic Journey's incredible music and visual design as well. I think hardly anyone at the time thought Captain EO was a bad idea or wasn't necessary. It also was a better fit in DL's Tomorrowland. HISTA was not bad, but it never felt like an amazing experience like EO did. It was also more gimmicky in nature. POTJ is basically just a big trailer ad for Star Wars. It would have been great to get an original SW 3D movie in there. But we know it was done on a super low budget and now with SWL that will most likely not happen.

Comment

Controversial opinion time: Hyperspace Mountain>Space Mountain>Ghost Galaxy. Am I biased because I'm a Star Wars fan? Yup. Do I care? Nope. I loved it.
          "Have I gone mad?"
          "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
            Controversial opinion time: Hyperspace Mountain>Space Mountain>Ghost Galaxy. Am I biased because I'm a Star Wars fan? Yup. Do I care? Nope. I loved it.
            Love star wars, love space mountain, can not stand hyperspace mountain. Too much of a cheap, gimmicky, advertisement feel to it in my not so humble opinion. But I know people love it. I just don't lol
            KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
              My first thought is the Submarine Voyage. IMHO, the change to the Finding Nemo attraction was a step backward. For most of the attraction, it seems that you're mostly just watching TV screens through your sub window, rather than seeing actual things (models) of sea encounters. ALso, rather than being a part of the story, as in the original, you are watching someone else's adventure. However, since the subs had been completely closed down for about 10 years, the new attraction sufficed.
              Regarding the Finding Nemo ride, I don't personally like it much and I think they could do a lot better with something else in that space, but I think it's better than the nothing that was in that space for ten years.
              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

According to Tony Baxter, both the subs and treehouse were slated for removal during the Pressler era. He fought tooth and nail to save both of them and the only way he could convince the execs to keep them was to re-theme them. So even though we may not like the re-themes, the attractions only still exist BECAUSE of the re-themes. Then again, maybe some people would rather have nothing instead of a re-theme. <shrug>

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post

Love star wars, love space mountain, can not stand hyperspace mountain. Too much of a cheap, gimmicky, advertisement feel to it in my not so humble opinion. But I know people love it. I just don't lol
                  I originally had this mindset. The projections look stretched/faded/off-scale. Then I went home, played some Star Wars Battlefront space battles and visited the park again. Just going on the ride imagining that I was in an X-wing somehow helped me overcome my first thoughts. Now I love it and enjoy it for what it is for as long as I can. Hopefully Star Wars Land is more/just as exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

I originally had this mindset. The projections look stretched/faded/off-scale. Then I went home, played some Star Wars Battlefront space battles and visited the park again. Just going on the ride imagining that I was in an X-wing somehow helped me overcome my first thoughts. Now I love it and enjoy it for what it is for as long as I can. Hopefully Star Wars Land is more/just as exciting!
                    I mean, effects aside... it's Space Mountain set to one of my favorite pieces of music from the OT. That alone is enough for me.
                    "Have I gone mad?"
                    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

I remember a lot of excitement around Nemo, because it was still a pretty new movie and the subs had been absent for so long. I still like it, but mostly for sentimental reasons. They should look into at least refreshing it with some new things from Finding Dory, and upgrade the technology at the same time. Having all that water in the park is a really nice feature. I hope they keep the lagoon.

I think Magic Journeys was my favorite show in the Magic Eye Theatre. I was excited when Captain EO came out, but it was also really bizarre. HISTA just stayed too long. It kind of works as a coming attractions kind of thing, but yeah - it's a good place to sit indoors on a hot day without crowds. Star Wars is fun of people who are just coming in to the Saga, but should be refreshed every few months. You KNOW they have lots of material to work with.

Soarin' Over the World. Meh for me on all counts: places, filmography, and music.

Peter Pan: something about the refresh of the London scene just killed the experience of flying over London for me :/

HM: Some good things, like the FP garden/queue and the pet cemetery. Hatbox Ghost! Fewer pop-up heads with rubber masks. Things that missed for me: Madame Leota - I really prefer the look and voice of the original Leota ... the Bride replacement.

Dumbo: Love the care and details given to update this ride when the new Fantasyland opened. Likewise the Wicked Queen pulling apart the curtains over the Snow White dark ride and the outside of Toad Hall.

The Beer gardens / boardwalk dining area is a surprising, nice addition to California Adventure.

Buena Vista Ave replacing the old, cheap DCA entryway into the park. The Carthay Circle Theatre instead of the Hubcap sun is such a nice change alone!

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

Originally posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post

I mean, effects aside... it's Space Mountain set to one of my favorite pieces of music from the OT. That alone is enough for me.
                        I think I've been spoiled. I play battlefront on a 27 inch 1440p monitor, GTX 970's in SLI, surround sound. It's so breathtaking, then I go to DL hyperspace mountain and feel completely ripped off.

But it's not so much that, I just miss the feel and emotion behind 2005 space mountain. It's not the same with a star wars reskin.

That and I believe in the empire!! not the rebel scum XD
                        KA CHOW

Comment

Oh you want a bad overlay?? Try rockin space mountain with red hot chili peppers, no stars in the ride and lame projections everywhere inside the ride. It was seriously bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixtopher View Post
                            Oh you want a bad overlay?? Try rockin space mountain with red hot chili peppers, no stars in the ride and lame projections everywhere inside the ride. It was seriously bad.
                            Oddly enough, that's my wife's favorite version of the ride. Apparently she really likes "Higher Ground"
                            "Have I gone mad?"

Comment

Originally posted by javaMom64 View Post
                              Things that missed for me: Madame Leota - I really prefer the look and voice of the original Leota ...
                              Madame Leota has always had the same face and voice.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X