Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Disappointing trip!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GameNBurger View Post
    The closures are inevitable, but one thing I think makes a huge impact on experience is the cast members. I kind of agree that it feels like those cast members that would make the experience solid or give meaningful interaction are the exception the the rule when I go, when I feel it used to be the opposite. I understand the crowds are tough to deal with and I don't really expect them to bend over backwards, but it's hard to even find smiling cast members any more. I still love Disneyland and that won't really ever change for me, but I do wish that the employees didn't remind so much of just walking into a movie theater, a little soul can go a long way for both guests and cast members.
    It's a different environment for Cast Members these days. It used to be guests were happy, respectful and polite, and the CMs would reflect that feeling back to them. But it's not like that anymore. It's always crowded year round and guests take that frustration out on the nearest person with a name tag on.
    You have to keep in mind that Cast Members are no different than everyone else out in the "real world". Yes, they have a reputation among the public as constantly smiling and whistling "zip-a-dee-do-dah" all day. And having a positive, bubbly personality helps get them hired. But we can ALL turn on the charm in an interview.
    But take that happy, smiling Newbie and subject them to 8 hours of rude, arrogant, inconsiderate guests and it breaks them down. Keep in mind they don't go through any sort of "Psychological Bootcamp" during training. It's all peaches and cream and welcome to the magic. What they need is a day of "torture training" to toughen them up, and prepare them for what lies ahead.
    Perfect example was this afternoon. The "no camping policy" before the parade has been abandoned. There was just no way to enforce it when the guests refused to obey. Unless getting kicked out of the park for not complying becomes policy, they simply refuse. Imagine the frustration of a handful of CMs working Main Street trying to do their job and NO ONE listens to them...respects them. Would you be able to maintain a fake smile under those conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post

It's a different environment for Cast Members these days. It used to be guests were happy, respectful and polite, and the CMs would reflect that feeling back to them. But it's not like that anymore. It's always crowded year round and guests take that frustration out on the nearest person with a name tag on.
      You have to keep in mind that Cast Members are no different than everyone else out in the "real world". Yes, they have a reputation among the public as constantly smiling and whistling "zip-a-dee-do-dah" all day. And having a positive, bubbly personality helps get them hired. But we can ALL turn on the charm in an interview.
      But take that happy, smiling Newbie and subject them to 8 hours of rude, arrogant, inconsiderate guests and it breaks them down. Keep in mind they don't go through any sort of "Psychological Bootcamp" during training. It's all peaches and cream and welcome to the magic. What they need is a day of "torture training" to toughen them up, and prepare them for what lies ahead.
      Perfect example was this afternoon. The "no camping policy" before the parade has been abandoned. There was just no way to enforce it when the guests refused to obey. Unless getting kicked out of the park for not complying becomes policy, they simply refuse. Imagine the frustration of a handful of CMs working Main Street trying to do their job and NO ONE listens to them...respects them. Would you be able to maintain a fake smile under those conditions?
      Good point, even the movie theater I've worked at trains you how to deal with "difficult" guests, I absolutely surprised nothing like that is put in place. In that case I completely feel for cast members that have to enforce new policy. Maybe not a bootcamp but geez they should be given SOME warning of what to expect.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X