Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland crowds. Can the issue be solved?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Disneyland crowds. Can the issue be solved?

Recently, I visited Disneyland Resort for my very first time this past Thursday.

While I did have an amazing time experiencing the parks, I couldn’t help but feel as though I missed out on an ample amount of the park detail. I blame this on the extremely large crowds in the park, and it was extremely tricky to slow down and look around. And while I so wish I could go to the park more often, during the slow season, that is simply not an option.

With that being said, the large crowds shifted my mind into armchair imagineer mode in imagining ways to deal with crowds. It also got me into thinking if Disney would consider doing something about this clear issue, or if they are content stuffing us in.

I would love to hear ideas and opinions of what could be done to alleviate the crowds, or at least make them feel less noticeable. Different Fastpass system, resort guest only lines, annual passholder lines?

I would also love to hear if you believe corporate Disney is worried that the large crowds hinder there brand, or if they don’t mind packing guests in like sardines. If I were a higher up, I for one would be worried that the quality of my product is hindered, as too many people make for a lesser experience.

Finally, as I am no where near an experienced Disneyland guest, and since I don’t frequent, I can’t give an educated opinion. So I would love to hear yours!

-Tyler

I think before you can answer the question "can something be done?" You must first ask the question, "does Disney want anything done"? Expansion is usually the best way to help, especially if you add a people eater type of attraction like Pirates of the Caribbean. The new Star Wars land should be able to do this, but it may create new crowd problems due to it's popularity and everyone wanting to see it. I hope this helps or at least is informative, I am little burnt out on the topic of crowds, since it is a popular topic and there are currently a few active threads on crowds right now.

Comment

I think continuing expanding both parks will help relief crowds. When Disney see that time for third gate is needed, I am sure it would help disperse crowds even if it create new crowds. But I think the best option is to build another Disneyland somewhere in CA. I think having Disneyland North and South would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
        I think continuing expanding both parks will help relief crowds. When Disney see that time for third gate is needed, I am sure it would help disperse crowds even if it create new crowds. But I think the best option is to build another Disneyland somewhere in CA. I think having Disneyland North and South would be interesting.
        Or put one in Canada (specifically in Vancouver, where I am)

I have a whole plan for it ​​​​​​​

Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
        I think before you can answer the question "can something be done?" You must first ask the question, "does Disney want anything done"? Expansion is usually the best way to help, especially if you add a people eater type of attraction like Pirates of the Caribbean. The new Star Wars land should be able to do this, but it may create new crowd problems due to it's popularity and everyone wanting to see it. I hope this helps or at least is informative, I am little burnt out on the topic of crowds, since it is a popular topic and there are currently a few active threads on crowds right now.
        Would you mind pointing active threads on this topic? Im having a hard time tracking the active ones down. My apologies for making a new one.

I also asked weather or not Disney wants anything done, or if they are content with cramming people in as is. Obviously it seems as if they do not care because there doesn't seem to be as many slow days. But with that being said, it is an issue, so they should have at least some concern.

With expansion, would Disney stay at the capacity they allow now? Or would they let more guests and raise their capacity? Expansion seems like it would induce more demand, and the fire would just continue to get bigger.
        Last edited by Tyler1994; 03-19-2017, 12:12 AM.
        -Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler1994 View Post
          I also asked weather or not Disney wants anything done, or if they are content with cramming people in as is. Obviously it seems as if they do not care because there doesn't seem to be as many slow days. But with that being said, it is an issue, so they should have at least some concern.
          Disney's management policies in the last 15 years make it clear that they want the DLR crowded to the maximum on as many days as possible. Disney uses the property as a platform for brand synergy -- an immersive brand advertisement that the customer pays to enter. The more bodies in the park, the more eyes on the adverts.

Disney is not concerned when there are too many customers crowding the property, but when there are too few. Their customers have confirmed that increased crowds, increased prices, decreased services and decreased quality of experience -- an overall "decline by degrees" -- has no effect on attendance numbers; just the opposite, they increase year after year.

With expansion, would Disney stay at the capacity they allow now? Or would they let more guests and raise their capacity? Expansion seems like it would induce more demand, and the fire would just continue to get bigger.
          Expansion not only would induce more demand, but would be done so as to induce more demand. The Star Wars Land acreage will not absorb more than a fraction of the demand that it generates. For Disney, a park perpetually at peak capacity is the ideal condition. Disney knows that for any customer who doesn't like the crowds, there are more than one waiting to take his place.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-19-2017, 12:56 PM.
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Would you mind pointing active threads on this topic? Im having a hard time tracking the active ones down. My apologies for making a new one.
            I mentioned the burnt out from this topic to explain my short response. Here is the most active thread on crowds, https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...t-plans-please

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...t-plans-please
            Last edited by Donald1980; 03-19-2017, 02:51 PM. Reason: Added more crowd thread links

Comment

Recently, I visited Disneyland Resort for my very first time this past Thursday.

I would love to hear ideas and opinions of what could be done to alleviate the crowds, or at least make them feel less noticeable. Different Fastpass system, resort guest only lines, annual passholder lines?

Annual Passholder lines? BAD idea! It's the Annual Passholders that are the main reasosn for the overcrowding. Reducing their numbers is the key to reduce overcrowding.
              You should also try visiting during the summer. YES...the summer! People like yourself who come during the off season and experience the nightmare of the crowds tend to avoid the summer because they assume it's got to be worse. But during the summer many of the Annual Passes are blocked out. So combined with diminished out of town visitors, the parks are quite civilized. Trust me...you'll enjoy it much more.
              Last edited by Natalie Price; 03-19-2017, 04:23 AM.

Comment

There's only one realistic answer to reigning in crowds. It's just basic economics: raise prices.

Disneyland is still way too cheap, especially for local APs.

Comment

I don't think the crowds are going away. I've done a lot of world travel, and in many places around the globe, people live closely together and congregate in a very congested way. They are used to this. Really high noise levels are the norm as well. Melting pot that we are, there are plenty of "crowd conditioned" people to fill Disney parks. And why wouldn't Disney want full parks? I think SWL is going to exacerbate rather than alleviate the problem.

I've adapted by using FP for a few rides, making dining reservations, and buying a few upsells for special viewing opportunities, which seems to be the solution offered by parks management. If, using these available tools, I quit having fun, I'll stop going.

(For those who suggest raising prices to keep down crowds, I think that's just a pipe dream. Any time there is a downturn in attendance because of the economy, construction projects or whatever, some new pricing scheme is introduced to fill the parks. Three days for the price of two. Thirteen-month AP for the price of 12. Special S-Cal tickets. On and on, the park remains crowded.)

Comment

The vast majority of executive decisions made by Disney are based on what Wall Street wants. Smart, dumb, logical or idiotic, Wall Street absolutely rules.

If Wall Street ever gets the idea that smaller crowds consisting of full-price ticket buyers will be more profitable than packing the parks with mostly discounted ticket buyers, APs will disappear in about 5 minutes........

Comment

Or put one in Canada (specifically in Vancouver, where I am)

I have a whole plan for it ​​​​​​​
                      LOVE Canada as well Vancouver area!
                      I can see it now

"O" CANADA "Disneyland"

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

As many poster have stated and also my Opinion!

Disney's Leadership has made it clear that they want the Disneyland Resort "CROWDED"
                        No matter what! ....Sad But True!........!

Disney is not concern, decreased services, nor decreased quality of experience ,
                        and do not worry increased prices, it has has no effect, on attendance numbers
                        ,and Disney will keep raising price, on all form Admission!

The concern Disney have, is what Wall Street wants........
                        This is Today D I $ N E Y
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

repeat post sorry:
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                            (For those who suggest raising prices to keep down crowds, I think that's just a pipe dream. Any time there is a downturn in attendance because of the economy, construction projects or whatever, some new pricing scheme is introduced to fill the parks. Three days for the price of two. Thirteen-month AP for the price of 12. Special S-Cal tickets. On and on, the park remains crowded.)
                            Right !

I would like to see Disney Parks Advertise and Show the real cost for AP's not just monthly payment amount !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

As a person who use to live in Japan and went to TDR often, it is funny to hear how this is a 'problem' in America. What I mean is Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan is notorious for being super crowded most months of the year. It was never perceived as a 'problem' by OLC who runs it, thats what they wanted. Thats sort of the point. Everyone just accepts it there for decades now. They did building TDS which has levied it in the past years and now with two big parks there is more of a balance but the parks are still crazy crowded in general. Maybe a bit less but honestly not much.

All I think that is happening is they sort of realized in the states they can follow the Japan motto and find a way to get people inside all year round. No I don't think its a problem because if it was a problem it wouldn't be packed as it is. All the people who complain about the crowds still go as they always have. Sure some have stopped going but because the issue is the crowding clearly it hasn't stopped enough of them from going.

Now do I personally love that its packed, no, but I understand why. Remember there is a organization that puts out the highest attended theme parks every year. Most of these companies pride themselves on being at the top of the list, not the bottom. There could be a better balance but they will always try to make it as busy as possible. Thats just capitalism at work.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X