Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked. Approvals are done at least once per day, but they can't be done for accounts that have not verified their email address.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

time to get rid of the esplanade?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to get rid of the esplanade?

On our last trip, every time we entered i wondered why the esplanade still exists? I understand that, although it seems insane to buy tickets at the booths instead of online(where you save money), there needs to be someplace to buy tickets but that could be anywhere(automated machines in parking lots?) but what else is the reason besides a no-mans land to meet people? It also amazes me that disney has not figured out how to process customers through security in an efficient manner. Even universal studios has figured out that having many permanent security gates all staffed heavily during the crowded periods allows quicker entry. This allows guests to get in the parks faster and start spending money instead of standing in lines.

If the esplanade did not exist, security could still happen on both sides of the esplanade as they currently do, but entry gates could possibly be incorporated into that process, because seriously, why is it not combined already? It would take a few extra seconds to incorporate a ticket scan into the security process, get rid of the entry gates and cut waiting almost in half.

The esplanade would easily be enough space for a small new land. Given the price of land around the resort and how disney has tried to figue ways to recover backstage area it seems a simple solution to find space without much work. Of course disney would have to make a single ticket, but really how many people don't buy a hopper? we never have only visited one park in a day.

I have heard many compare DCA with disneyland and state that they do not enjoy it as much mainly due to atmosphere, but I have also heard many claim they dislike toontown, yet it is still overly crowded every day. Why, because it is in disneyland. If it required a separate entry ticket or another wait to enter, it may be much less popular.

I know that if I didn't have to go through the process of leaving the land and waiting to get back into DCA i would roam much more readily, maybe others would as well, thereby equalizing guest flow.

What are your thoughts and if this happened what wold you do with the space and how would you make the gate/security process smoother.

And bring back the old parking lot? Wait, that won't work since DCA and Esplanade still exists.

No, the Esplanade is fine and it is needed for ticket booths, walk way to both parks and how atmospheric it is.

The place is designed to be the main gateway to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Downtown Disney is also included as an entry and exit to the parks.

So, no need to get rid of, it is difficult and creates more problems if it is altered. I am really glad to see that the small securiy checkpoints were removed on the Esplanade and it looks much better than before! More open and clear, you can see the place better than before.

It is good that one of the security checkpoints had been moved to the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure near the entry to the trams.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
    Save
    Sav

Comment

The esplanade at times can feel too small when the lines from both parks touch each other. Making it any smaller would only create more chaos. After the new gateway is built, a bunch of land will most likely be taken up for additional DCA space. The land I am talking about is where currently the different busses drop guests off, including where the buses from the Toy Story parking lot drop you off. Disney will never eliminate the esplanade because Disney wants guests to have two separate tickets (or a park hopper ticket that costs more) to enter both parks, and not one.

Comment

if you enter or leave the park at just the right times, the esplanade can seem like a vast wasteland. at other times it feels as crowded as Main Street ten minutes before the fireworks. ok, that was an exaggeration.

there have been a few times when I've seen the entrance lines for both parks almost meet in the middle, so it looks like they need the space.

also there have been times when the security check was backed up and I noticed long entrance lines beyond. at the time only half of the security check stations were open, so I was wondering if they used the security check to meter the flow into the esplanade so the entrance lines wouldn't get longer. with the new check areas so far from the entrance they wouldn't be able to do that if that was the case.

I don't know if this was a safety code issue, but it is possible that it is that large so it can accommodate a large number of people if they had to do an emergency evacuation of the parks.

in the early days of DCA, I thought it would be a good idea to just make it one park. now I think those days are gone. I do wonder if there will every be a third park. I don't seen how a third park can compete when Disneyland and DCA are so close together. now people park hop on a whim. hopping to the third park is going to take a serious commitment in time.

Comment

Expanding the security bubble on the west side to multiple points has already proven to be more efficient. At least that's the idea I'm getting from other members of this board. Also, when the eastern gateway is complete, the new security checkpoint there will be larger and hopefully more efficient as well. This will clear all security checks out of the esplanade (Finally!). Ticket booths need to be there, because there will always be people who want to just show up to things and have a means to buy tickets.

DCA will always be less popular than Disneyland because.....well....it's Disneyland...Walt's park. But DCA since it's refurbs has definitely gotten much more popular than it was when it first opened.

You don't directly say it, but are you implying that Disneyland and DCA should be turned into one big park? I'm not sure I like that idea. Both parks have different feels and I don't think it would work. The way you enter Disneyland and into Main Street is iconic and intended to be that way. I think two parks and an esplanade in between is fine the way it is. Could the esplanade stand to be a bit more beautified? Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by gary94080 View Post
            if you enter or leave the park at just the right times, the esplanade can seem like a vast wasteland. at other times it feels as crowded as Main Street ten minutes before the fireworks. ok, that was an exaggeration.

there have been a few times when I've seen the entrance lines for both parks almost meet in the middle, so it looks like they need the space.

also there have been times when the security check was backed up and I noticed long entrance lines beyond. at the time only half of the security check stations were open, so I was wondering if they used the security check to meter the flow into the esplanade so the entrance lines wouldn't get longer. with the new check areas so far from the entrance they wouldn't be able to do that if that was the case.

I don't know if this was a safety code issue, but it is possible that it is that large so it can accommodate a large number of people if they had to do an emergency evacuation of the parks.

in the early days of DCA, I thought it would be a good idea to just make it one park. now I think those days are gone. I do wonder if there will every be a third park. I don't seen how a third park can compete when Disneyland and DCA are so close together. now people park hop on a whim. hopping to the third park is going to take a serious commitment in time.
            Well WDW's parks are all pretty spaced out so I think it could work. As long as the 3rd park is within walking distance and has at least one means of official transportation to get there it shouldn't be an issue. I think it's time DL opened a 3rd gate, especially since the attendance is nearing WDW levels now. I do think they sort of dropped the ball by not planning a 3rd park for Star Wars and Marvel 5 years ago when they first got the rights to both. It's like they just suddenly realized they had the intellectual properties and were left with no other option but to add the franchises to the existing parks. It boils down to money, but I still think a well thought out design for a third park dedicated to SW and Marvel would have been ideal and the best way to handle both IPs..

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Well WDW's parks are all pretty spaced out so I think it could work. As long as the 3rd park is within walking distance and has at least one means of official transportation to get there it shouldn't be an issue. I think it's time DL opened a 3rd gate, especially since the attendance is nearing WDW levels now. I do think they sort of dropped the ball by not planning a 3rd park for Star Wars and Marvel 5 years ago when they first got the rights to both. It's like they just suddenly realized they had the intellectual properties and were left with no other option but to add the franchises to the existing parks. It boils down to money, but I still think a well thought out design for a third park dedicated to SW and Marvel would have been ideal and the best way to handle both IPs..
              I'm guessing the reason Disney didn't plan a third park is because of the problem they have been trying to solve for the past 5-10 years, parking. I think Disney got tired of waiting and realized they needed to get creative to find a place for Star Wars. I believe Stars Wars will be in Disneyland due to desperation and not what was the better option. Once Disney gets the new parking structure built, I am not sure if the parking at the Toy Story lot will still be needed. If it does, that still prevents Disney from being able to build a third park on that land. The other issue with that land, is that the current cast member lot is expected to be a part of that third park. Disney will need to find a new parking place for cast members if that is the case. Disney doesn't seem to be in too much of a rush to find a new place for cast members to park, even though Disney continually needs to use that same lot for guests while they have the cast members park at Angel Stadium. I'm guessing the reason there isn't a third park yet and new parking lots for cast members is because Disney is trying to wait for prices of land to drop or for the city to step in.

Comment

Finally, a thread with an easy answer. No, it is not time to get rid of the esplanade.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Well WDW's parks are all pretty spaced out so I think it could work. As long as the 3rd park is within walking distance and has at least one means of official transportation to get there it shouldn't be an issue.
                  that's kind of my point, park hopping between DL and DCA is a couple of minutes on a good day. at WDW there doesn't exist a situation that you can park hop with a short walk. anywhere you go you get in your car or catch a bus or the Monorail. so all venues you are looking at 30-45 minutes plus to get from one to another. a third park in Anaheim will have to be good enough to overcome the disadvantage of that additional time lost to get there. from some standpoints it makes sense to build a third park not close to the resort so it would stand alone.

Comment

I think finding new parking will be no issue. But the issue would be when they build additional parking garage, it going to create a temporary loss of parking. Pinocchio lot is perfect for another M&F size parking structure. I firmly believe that would be a new spot for theme park parking garage once Pumba Parking Garage is finished. I am not sure why can't Disney build a parking garage on Ball Road in the first place.

I am sure Disney realize They can't go cheap with Third gate with it being detached from the main property. And the Esplanade is fine the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                      I think finding new parking will be no issue..
                      Then why has it taken Disney so long to take action on the parking situation? They currently have Disney Cast Members parking at Angel Stadium. All this leads me to believe finding parking isn't as easy as you may think it is. However, I do think part of problem is Disney wanting to wait out some businesses to buy land for lower prices.

Comment

Originally posted by LangenFox View Post
                        And bring back the old parking lot? Wait, that won't work since DCA and Esplanade still exists.

No, the Esplanade is fine and it is needed for ticket booths, walk way to both parks and how atmospheric it is.

The place is designed to be the main gateway to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Downtown Disney is also included as an entry and exit to the parks.

So, no need to get rid of, it is difficult and creates more problems if it is altered. I am really glad to see that the small securiy checkpoints were removed on the Esplanade and it looks much better than before! More open and clear, you can see the place better than before.

It is good that one of the security checkpoints had been moved to the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure near the entry to the trams.
                        I agreed....
                        and once the New Parking Structure east side open ,long with security checkpoints removed

I for re-doing Esplanade making more clean- er and nice- er looking
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post

Then why has it taken Disney so long to take action on the parking situation? They currently have Disney Cast Members parking at Angel Stadium. All this leads me to believe finding parking isn't as easy as you may think it is. However, I do think part of problem is Disney wanting to wait out some businesses to buy land for lower prices.
                          "But the issue would be when they build additional parking garage, it going to create a temporary loss of parking."
                          That why I think it taking so long. I don't think Disney like to create a situation that going to be way worse, even it temporary. Who want to upset the park guest over loss of parking?

Are they using the lot on harbor and ball for guest parking?

Comment

Originally posted by soggyinsnoqualmie View Post

The esplanade would easily be enough space for a small new land. Given the price of land around the resort and how disney has tried to figue ways to recover backstage area it seems a simple solution to find space without much work. Of course disney would have to make a single ticket, but really how many people don't buy a hopper? we never have only visited one park in a day.

Wait, so let's say I'm staying at a hotel or motel along Harbour Blvd. and I'm at Downtown Disney having a meal, shopping, or seeing a movie. If I don't have some type of park admission for that day, the only way for me to get back to my room is to make my way South to Katella or North to Ball, and then to head East to Harbour, then North or South to my room? No. It works fine the way it is now, with Magic Mornings being alternated between the parks every other day, and with the park closing times being staggered so that the Esplanade (which DOES serve a purpose) and the tram loading area doesn't get TOO congested.

Comment

The Esplenade id Disneys "Flex Area" they often use it for various promotional displays as well as the normal crowd absorption. Without an adjacent parking lot they need this area for various reasons that may not be constant but direrly needed when they do occur.
                              Last edited by Blackness; 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X