Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

time to get rid of the esplanade?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

Thx.
    I remembered that it seemed those merchants were a tad late in their complaints, and I thought Disney and Anaheim were "wining". A surface crossing won't help with street traffic, if that's what they were asking for.
    I'll have to chk out that thread.
    I believe that leaving the crossing is something that couldn't be avoided and that a direct entrance from Harbor is a temporary measure to appease the strident objectors for a while. Once the bridge over Harbor is being fully utilized, if the number of guests is greatly reduced, Disney will likely take that as an opportunity to close that entrance and direct everybody to enter from either the eastern or western security gates. Then there will no longer need to be a third security checkpoint.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

I believe that leaving the crossing is something that couldn't be avoided and that a direct entrance from Harbor is a temporary measure to appease the strident objectors for a while. Once the bridge over Harbor is being fully utilized, if the number of guests is greatly reduced, Disney will likely take that as an opportunity to close that entrance and direct everybody to enter from either the eastern or western security gates. Then there will no longer need to be a third security checkpoint.
      Good to know. I dunno how I missed this development in this saga.
      As part of a Public Service Announcement...
      Guardians Of The Galaxy
      Mission: Breakout
      ...is abbreviated like this
      GOTG M:B
      The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
      That is all. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
        The esplanade at times can feel too small when the lines from both parks touch each other. Making it any smaller would only create more chaos. After the new gateway is built, a bunch of land will most likely be taken up for additional DCA space. The land I am talking about is where currently the different busses drop guests off, including where the buses from the Toy Story parking lot drop you off. Disney will never eliminate the esplanade because Disney wants guests to have two separate tickets (or a park hopper ticket that costs more) to enter both parks, and not one.
        Either Management needs to be better at processing Guests through security/gates, or you have to queue them in the Esplanade.

Comment

This area, which was created as part of the 2001 expansion, is named the "Main Entry Plaza," and the space has the same dimensions as those of St. Mark's Square in Venice.

The area with the hotel shuttles and taxis is named the "East Esplanade." But, somehow, guests started referring to both spaces as the "Esplanade," even though this is not quite right.

To prevent confusion with Central Plaza, I would, personally, like the space referred to as the "Central Lobby" as a nod to the traditional nomenclature: "Inner Lobby" (the space between the Gates of Disneyland and Main Street Station where the "Mickey Floral" parterre is located) and "Outer Lobby" (everything on the premises and outside the Gates of Disneyland).

The Main Entry Plaza does not just allow crowds stopped at the gates to gather; the space also facilitates evacuations and allows for law enforcement to handle potential protests and civil unrest.

This space could certainly be designed better. I have long wished for a proper marquee for Disneyland that better utilizes and better hides the monorail pylons and beamway with the formation of an appropriately-timeless peristyle that is overflowing with flowers and is covered with vining plants.

I also believe a new monorail station built just outside the Gates of Disneyland and incorporated into this peristyle also makes a great deal of sense for Disney's business.

The center of the piazza really deserves a focal point, and I wouldn't mind if the middle was sunken one flight of stairs with, perhaps, below-grade buildings for attractions and/or retail. Conceivably, this depression could also allow for the installation of a well-designed captive balloon, such as the ones in Paris and at Walt Disney World.

A captive balloon could help provide an orientation to the entire resort destination, and its various features, while adding considerable ​visual interest.

Comment

My issue with the Esplanade is that it feels like a concrete waste land. I wish they'd finally install that fountain that they always wanted. Break up the concrete with long rows of gardens which help keep the lines for the front gates orderly, and plant lots of tall shade trees. The area is necessary, but it doesn't need to be so ugly.
            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
            Save

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
              My issue with the Esplanade is that it feels like a concrete waste land. I wish they'd finally install that fountain that they always wanted. Break up the concrete with long rows of gardens which help keep the lines for the front gates orderly, and plant lots of tall shade trees. The area is necessary, but it doesn't need to be so ugly.
              With all the issues pertaining to large crowds in the winter and summer, lines have been so long to stretch all the way to the compass (my experience from 24hr 2015), so gardens and fountain would be a huge obstacle for crowd control.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post

I Agreed
                I think Disney needs do a clean up, on the concrete Esplanade!

Would be nice put in a Large Fountain and lots of Shade Tree's.
                I would like see, more sitting bench's.
                Make it into area for the Guest get off there feet and REST,between Park's
                and a meeting area.

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

If they got rid of the esplanade, Disneyland, DCA, and Downtown Disney would have to effectively become the same park.

That's just not feasible.

Comment

Thought the title meant redesigning the esplanade to be nicer. I'm all for that. It could use some nice touch ups like a fountain and more trees. Making the resort all one park, though? No way. Makes no sense thematically or financially. Disney can make more money off having two parks than one.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X