Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

time to get rid of the esplanade?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soggyinsnoqualmie
    started a topic time to get rid of the esplanade?

time to get rid of the esplanade?

On our last trip, every time we entered i wondered why the esplanade still exists? I understand that, although it seems insane to buy tickets at the booths instead of online(where you save money), there needs to be someplace to buy tickets but that could be anywhere(automated machines in parking lots?) but what else is the reason besides a no-mans land to meet people? It also amazes me that disney has not figured out how to process customers through security in an efficient manner. Even universal studios has figured out that having many permanent security gates all staffed heavily during the crowded periods allows quicker entry. This allows guests to get in the parks faster and start spending money instead of standing in lines.

If the esplanade did not exist, security could still happen on both sides of the esplanade as they currently do, but entry gates could possibly be incorporated into that process, because seriously, why is it not combined already? It would take a few extra seconds to incorporate a ticket scan into the security process, get rid of the entry gates and cut waiting almost in half.

The esplanade would easily be enough space for a small new land. Given the price of land around the resort and how disney has tried to figue ways to recover backstage area it seems a simple solution to find space without much work. Of course disney would have to make a single ticket, but really how many people don't buy a hopper? we never have only visited one park in a day.

I have heard many compare DCA with disneyland and state that they do not enjoy it as much mainly due to atmosphere, but I have also heard many claim they dislike toontown, yet it is still overly crowded every day. Why, because it is in disneyland. If it required a separate entry ticket or another wait to enter, it may be much less popular.

I know that if I didn't have to go through the process of leaving the land and waiting to get back into DCA i would roam much more readily, maybe others would as well, thereby equalizing guest flow.

What are your thoughts and if this happened what wold you do with the space and how would you make the gate/security process smoother.

• RPaul
    replied
    Thought the title meant redesigning the esplanade to be nicer. I'm all for that. It could use some nice touch ups like a fountain and more trees. Making the resort all one park, though? No way. Makes no sense thematically or financially. Disney can make more money off having two parks than one.

Leave a comment:

• padsquad2010
    replied
    If they got rid of the esplanade, Disneyland, DCA, and Downtown Disney would have to effectively become the same park.

That's just not feasible.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
    My issue with the Esplanade is that it feels like a concrete waste land. I wish they'd finally install that fountain that they always wanted. Break up the concrete with long rows of gardens which help keep the lines for the front gates orderly, and plant lots of tall shade trees. The area is necessary, but it doesn't need to be so ugly.

I Agreed
    I think Disney needs do a clean up, on the concrete Esplanade!

Would be nice put in a Large Fountain and lots of Shade Tree's.
    I would like see, more sitting bench's.
    Make it into area for the Guest get off there feet and REST,between Park's
    and a meeting area.

Leave a comment:

• MSmoovepi27
    replied
    Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
    My issue with the Esplanade is that it feels like a concrete waste land. I wish they'd finally install that fountain that they always wanted. Break up the concrete with long rows of gardens which help keep the lines for the front gates orderly, and plant lots of tall shade trees. The area is necessary, but it doesn't need to be so ugly.
    With all the issues pertaining to large crowds in the winter and summer, lines have been so long to stretch all the way to the compass (my experience from 24hr 2015), so gardens and fountain would be a huge obstacle for crowd control.

Leave a comment:

• Dustysage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied
    This area, which was created as part of the 2001 expansion, is named the "Main Entry Plaza," and the space has the same dimensions as those of St. Mark's Square in Venice.

The area with the hotel shuttles and taxis is named the "East Esplanade." But, somehow, guests started referring to both spaces as the "Esplanade," even though this is not quite right.

To prevent confusion with Central Plaza, I would, personally, like the space referred to as the "Central Lobby" as a nod to the traditional nomenclature: "Inner Lobby" (the space between the Gates of Disneyland and Main Street Station where the "Mickey Floral" parterre is located) and "Outer Lobby" (everything on the premises and outside the Gates of Disneyland).

The Main Entry Plaza does not just allow crowds stopped at the gates to gather; the space also facilitates evacuations and allows for law enforcement to handle potential protests and civil unrest.

This space could certainly be designed better. I have long wished for a proper marquee for Disneyland that better utilizes and better hides the monorail pylons and beamway with the formation of an appropriately-timeless peristyle that is overflowing with flowers and is covered with vining plants.

I also believe a new monorail station built just outside the Gates of Disneyland and incorporated into this peristyle also makes a great deal of sense for Disney's business.

The center of the piazza really deserves a focal point, and I wouldn't mind if the middle was sunken one flight of stairs with, perhaps, below-grade buildings for attractions and/or retail. Conceivably, this depression could also allow for the installation of a well-designed captive balloon, such as the ones in Paris and at Walt Disney World.

A captive balloon could help provide an orientation to the entire resort destination, and its various features, while adding considerable ​visual interest.

Leave a comment:

• ehrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
    The esplanade at times can feel too small when the lines from both parks touch each other. Making it any smaller would only create more chaos. After the new gateway is built, a bunch of land will most likely be taken up for additional DCA space. The land I am talking about is where currently the different busses drop guests off, including where the buses from the Toy Story parking lot drop you off. Disney will never eliminate the esplanade because Disney wants guests to have two separate tickets (or a park hopper ticket that costs more) to enter both parks, and not one.
    Either Management needs to be better at processing Guests through security/gates, or you have to queue them in the Esplanade.

Leave a comment:

• JayRomy
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

I believe that leaving the crossing is something that couldn't be avoided and that a direct entrance from Harbor is a temporary measure to appease the strident objectors for a while. Once the bridge over Harbor is being fully utilized, if the number of guests is greatly reduced, Disney will likely take that as an opportunity to close that entrance and direct everybody to enter from either the eastern or western security gates. Then there will no longer need to be a third security checkpoint.
    Good to know. I dunno how I missed this development in this saga.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

Thx.
    I remembered that it seemed those merchants were a tad late in their complaints, and I thought Disney and Anaheim were "wining". A surface crossing won't help with street traffic, if that's what they were asking for.
    I'll have to chk out that thread.
    I believe that leaving the crossing is something that couldn't be avoided and that a direct entrance from Harbor is a temporary measure to appease the strident objectors for a while. Once the bridge over Harbor is being fully utilized, if the number of guests is greatly reduced, Disney will likely take that as an opportunity to close that entrance and direct everybody to enter from either the eastern or western security gates. Then there will no longer need to be a third security checkpoint.

Leave a comment:

• JayRomy
    replied

There is already a thread about this, regarding what Disney was doing to accommodate the local merchants along Harbor Blvd. It was a lively debate. Probably a few weeks old, though. Here's a link: https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...lt-the-project
    Thx.
    I remembered that it seemed those merchants were a tad late in their complaints, and I thought Disney and Anaheim were "wining". A surface crossing won't help with street traffic, if that's what they were asking for.
    I'll have to chk out that thread.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Gak. Whaaaa? When did this nonsense happen. Wait, don't answer, it deserves its own thread.
    There is already a thread about this, regarding what Disney was doing to accommodate the local merchants along Harbor Blvd. It was a lively debate. Probably a few weeks old, though. Here's a link: https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...lt-the-project

Leave a comment:

• JayRomy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scottieboy View Post

Actually I would like a Disney Hotel right on the property similar to how the Disney Hotel in DLP is the gateway into Main St.
    Yeah, I went twice about 10 yrs ago (DLP) I didn't know much ahead of time and was blown away by the concept.

In case it wasn't clear, the rumors about the DLR version would have been running parallel to harbour blvd. I can only imagine the lobby would have rivaled GCH, in a different style and would have allowed lookie-loos like me to gawk at the inside. Always I kinda bummed thatt it never materialized. This was the big rumor before monstropolis/door coaster.

Leave a comment:

• JayRomy
    replied

Well... It looks like Disney is actually going to keep an entrance open, directly from Harbor to the eastern side of the Esplanade, to placate business owners who were complaining that directing all foot traffic over the bridge would do harm to their businesses. So there will still have to be a security checkpoint there.
    Gak. Whaaaa? When did this nonsense happen. Wait, don't answer, it deserves its own thread.

Leave a comment:

• Scottieboy
    replied

And this was the direction of my other post in this thread... that we CAN afford to give up bits n pieces here n there. My examples were BVS/DCA entrance in 2012.
    More lockers is a good thing with minimal impact. The new walkway from the eastern gateway project is another fine use. Expanding DCA to the north, perfect!! Bigger restrooms? Yes.

Years ago Al Lutz reported a rumoured hotel above the current eastern transportation center. Since its lobby would have been above the shuttle service, it would have added a hotel that took relatively little sq footage from the esplanade. The exclusive guests would have had their own entry into DLs town square and another into DCA, effectively removing these guests out of the esplanade.

The esplanade has a ton of space to give, and if it's in small amounts to add to guest comfort, I'm all for it. Yes, btw, I'm mildly obsessed with the current state of this underutilized area of the resort. Lol.
    Actually I would like a Disney Hotel right on the property similar to how the Disney Hotel in DLP is the gateway into Main St.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X