"Mission: BREAKOUT" is really coming along

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mission: BREAKOUT" is really coming along

Photos attached are credited to Andy Castro.

The attraction looks like it will be on time for this upcoming May!

I REALLY WANT ProActiv to sponsor this...

Comment

I know I am probably in the minority on this board, but as more is revealed, I am of the opinion that it actually looks pretty cool. And before I get called mentally ill or blind or any number of other insults that have been hurled at me, let me establish that I do not currently have a DSM V diagnosis and my vision is in fact 20/20 (okay with glasses, but still).

Comment

Can we restrict the snark and negativity to the other GotG threads please? It is really obnoxious to read the same disdain for this in every thread. Can we have at least one thread where those of us who are keeping an open mind and are looking forward to this new attraction can enjoy the progress? Enough already!

Comment

Originally posted by elle317 View Post
          I know I am probably in the minority on this board, but as more is revealed, I am of the opinion that it actually looks pretty cool. And before I get called mentally ill or blind or any number of other insults that have been hurled at me, let me establish that I do not currently have a DSM V diagnosis and my vision is in fact 20/20 (okay with glasses, but still).
          I am right there with you. Each week i like it more and more.

Comment

LOL I do love the hostile framing of the photos to maximize the theming clash agenda's perspective. Pretty amazing that an objective unaltered photograph can be so editorial.

The old tower blended in so well!
            https://twitter.com/WDWRAH/status/843474912610320386
            Attached Files
            Last edited by midvale; 03-19-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elle317 View Post
              I am right there with you. Each week i like it more and more.

Comment

I think I'm only sad they're not committing more. Fill in the tiny fake windows with dry wall atleast, I can't take a look at the new tower without thinking of the old.

Nitpicks aside, I like the color scheme atleast, better than the initial concept art.

For those questioning the blend argument, I've had mixed thoughts. The old tower was a literal dilapidated building, which didn't fit in to say paradise pier or shiny buena vista street, but it was a correct time period building, it believably looked like the style of 20's to 30's vibe that DCA 2.0 (including grisly air field) tried to put out, while colorful microprocessor building does not.

And yet everything I just said is misleading anyways since how do cars and bugs land fit into the 20's or 30's? I think in the end the only weird thing is that buena vista street was just built and committed to, so maybe the old timing feels weird given they just spent time making more of the park 20's or 30's, but again, cars land and bugs land.

Point is is I guess it comes down to preference. Atleast it's colorful!

Comment

REMINDER: I posted this in the other thread, as more photos come out of the new GOTG Ride, lets keep things civil, open minded and not personally attack someone just for the fact they have a different opinion.

Loving Disney Since 2006!
                  Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

Its still going to take me some time to get use to it I guess but its starting to look really interesting. And yes it looks like its coming along fine. We obviously have no idea what is going on inside but I have a feeling it won't be a problem being ready. The ride system is already in place, all they are really doing is reprogramming it and obviously redoing the interior but thats basically just props being installed.
                    Last edited by Fctiger; 03-20-2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

They're rushing the rush job. I'm impressed too.
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by midvale View Post
                        LOL I do love the hostile framing of the photos to maximize the theming clash agenda's perspective. Pretty amazing that an objective unaltered photograph can be so editorial.

The old tower blended in so well!
                        https://twitter.com/WDWRAH/status/843474912610320386
                        "The old tower blended in so well!"

Maybe I'm missing your point? Are you saying that the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror didn't blend well with the Carthay Circle Restaurant? I think a Golden Age of Hollywood movie theater building and The Hollywood Tower Hotel looked perfect together, but of course they were supposed to since they were the same coordinating theme. After they covered that same building in tubes, radar dishes, knick-knacks, pipes and gold paint you're saying that it now blends in better with Buena Vista Street/Carthay Circle Restaurant?

Comment

Rode the Monorail today and they still have the recording inviting guests to visit the Tower of Terror which I thought was a pretty amateurish error on Disney's part and I was surprised this late in the process they hadn't edited that segment out?

Comment

I think the building overlay is very distracting. :l

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                              I think the building overlay is very distracting. :l
                              As do I.

Eyesore.
                              "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post

"The old tower blended in so well!"

Maybe I'm missing your point? Are you saying that the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror didn't blend well with the Carthay Circle Restaurant? I think a Golden Age of Hollywood movie theater building and The Hollywood Tower Hotel looked perfect together, but of course they were supposed to since they were the same coordinating theme. After they covered that same building in tubes, radar dishes, knick-knacks, pipes and gold paint you're saying that it now blends in better with Buena Vista Street/Carthay Circle Restaurant?
                                For me, it clashed before (smoky burned out damaged building), and it will clash after (warehouse power plant whatever thingie). That aspect doesn't bother me personally. The notion that it clashed before is hotly contested. The notion that clashing after is a bad thing is also hotly contested. I think you'd have a very hard time finding someone espousing the GOTG version of the tower blends in seamlessly to anything thus far. There is a possibility that it will blend into a final-ish future version of Marvel Land. I wouldn't necessarily hang my hat on that as a point in GOTG's favor. I just don't mind the clashing as much as some others vehemently do.

For me, there are endless examples throughout both parks where one can see a different themed area or landmark from the themed area they are within. I'm not bothered by the clash. I don't think either of us are plowing any new ground in this debate though. Please try to avoid putting words in other's mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                                  ...I think a Golden Age of Hollywood movie theater building and The Hollywood Tower Hotel looked perfect together, but of course they were supposed to since they were the same coordinating theme. After they covered that same building in tubes, radar dishes, knick-knacks, pipes and gold paint you're saying that it now blends in better with Buena Vista Street/Carthay Circle Restaurant?
                                  I'm reminded of the threads, back when Disney bought Marvel, where it was argued that Captain America should be featured on Main Street. Asked to explain how a 1940s big-city superhero fits the theme of a turn-of-the-century rural small town, the justification was "they're both about America."

The rule is simple: when Disney management makes a brand-marketing decision that conflicts with an area's theme, one simply re-defines what is meant by "theme." Alternate rule: ignore the theme conflict altogether, and justify it by citing previous cases where "Walt ignored theme himself" (e.g. a European castle visible from an American main street, old-fashioned steam trains stopping at Tomorrowland, a civil-war President in a turn-of-the-century town, modern cash registers in Frontierland stores, etc.).

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                  until Thor told it to me."
                                  -
                                  Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I'm reminded of the threads, back when Disney bought Marvel, where it was argued that Captain America should be featured on Main Street. Asked to explain how a 1940s big-city superhero fits the theme of a turn-of-the-century rural small town, the justification was "they're both about America."

The rule is simple: when Disney management makes a brand-marketing decision that conflicts with an area's theme, one simply re-defines what is meant by "theme." Alternate rule: ignore the theme conflict altogether, and justify it by citing previous cases where "Walt ignored theme himself" (e.g. a European castle visible from an American main street, old-fashioned steam trains stopping at Tomorrowland, a civil-war President in a turn-of-the-century town, modern cash registers in Frontierland stores, etc.).
                                    Your rule is pretty clear as well: throw a definition or label on any opinion outside of your own. If your post can disguise opinion as education, you can discredit the offending opinion and establish dominance with yours.

I think this ride is gonna be a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySpook View Post
                                      Your rule is pretty clear as well: throw a definition or label on any opinion outside of your own. If your post can disguise opinion as education, you can discredit the offending opinion and establish dominance with yours.
                                      Not my rule. Go research the threads: for the 12 years of this forum's existence, the arguments I cited have been the standard defense for Disney's brand-marketing violations of established themes.

Originally posted by DisneySpook View Post
                                      I think this ride is gonna be a hit.
                                      Just a "hit?" I've posted before that it's going to be a huge hit. So huge, in fact, it will finally convince management that the lesson of their cheaptastic "Season of Force" overlay was true all along -- when you have mega-brands like Star Wars and Marvel, mega-million-dollar expenditures for elaborately themed lands are unnecessary to pack in mega-crowds.
                                      "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                      until Thor told it to me."
                                      -
                                      Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Well he did quite a bit. And that was just a decade of owning the place. I mean theme rule breaking is literally as old as the park itself. I agree it should be avoided as much as possible when it can be helped but no one has gone to Disney jail yet for breaking it just the same.

I think GOTG ride is a pretty big violation personally but to others they can justify it as a movie being part of Hollywood even though this is now suppose to be Hollywood the city and not Hollywood the studio. But lets be real most people wouldn't know the difference anyway. It just says Hollywood, enough said.

I do hope though they build a nice theme around GOTG in time but we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                        X