Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Why not just get rid of A Bug's Land to put in Marvel Land instead?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Idea] Why not just get rid of A Bug's Land to put in Marvel Land instead?

    I been thinking about this several days now and all the crazy Marvel land rumors happening. The idea of Marvel land being split into two parts on the TOT side and the small real estate behind it and then I guess the rest will fit into the Hollywoodland court yard where Monster's Inc and the old Muppets building is. I mean I don't know, it might turn out fine but if just sounds so disconnected. I would be fine if they just turned all of that area into Marvel but left TOT as it were and they can expand it into the bus loading area as rumored, but GOTG has made that impossible.

    So I started looking at the map and realized just how much more convenient it would be if ML moved into where ABL is now. Sure it is a bit smaller but if you include ITTBAB theater area you have a nice size plot with the backstage plot behind TOT of course where the rumored Marvel coaster is suppose to go its a decent size area. Now I don't know how big this area makes up in terms of acres but it seems like a good enough chunk where you can build one more big E-ticket attraction in IITBAB and maybe a smaller ride behind GOTG. I just think it would be better instead of turning HWL into this weird hodgepodge of Marvel stuff thrown in around it. I imagine it would be enough room to add a restaurant and a few stores as well with a meet and greet obviously. If they got rid of ITTBAB that can either be knocked down for an attraction or just used as a Marvel attraction theater. Actually do one better they probably can build a nice size simulation ride here.

    Anyway just an idea. Know it won't happen but I think this would be so much better because you will now have a nice size Marvel land and GOTG would be the new weenie to it. Then Hollywood land would stay in tact completely. The only thing missing would be TOT itself. But imagine that whole corner just for Marvel. And this space could be DCA's tomorrowland basically now that GOTG is there and make it into a very high tech and sci fi area. Now GOTG MB seems pretty cool when its just the highlight of a really nice Marvel area.

    As far as lack of kid rides, frankly I don't think ABL is as needed as it once were and there is nothing that stops them from adding 1 or 2 smaller rides for kids here. But I think it would go a long way if they had one thrill ride and a family ride of some kind like they are doing with Pandora. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Fctiger; 03-19-2017, 09:25 PM.

  • #2
    I would turn all the yellow area (see photo) into Marvel Land. The shed/garage for the Red Car Trolley can be moved to the east of GOTG. That way it can stay in the Hollywood-themed area next to the Hyperion.
    The majority of the year that parking lot is unused. And those small structures to the south are just trailers which really don't serve a purpose either and can be moved. Imagineering is located in one of them, but I'm sure they prefer to have a nice office in one of the white structures to the east.

    Comment


    • #3
      Bug's land just isn't big enough, Also, those with small kids really appreciate bug's land. On a crowded hot day you can soak a lot of time there bewteen Heimlich, Flik's Flyers, Ladybug ride, and water play. (you addressed both of these points, I'm just waving the agree-to-disagree flag)

      I think we're all operating with a lack of information about what the final plan is, and filling in too many gaps with assumptions that will prove incorrect. I'm not saying we should stifle speculation and fun internet forum debate though,

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by midvale View Post
        Bug's land just isn't big enough, Also, those with small kids really appreciate bug's land. On a crowded hot day you can soak a lot of time there bewteen Heimlich, Flik's Flyers, Ladybug ride, and water play. (you addressed both of these points, I'm just waving the agree-to-disagree flag)

        I think we're all operating with a lack of information about what the final plan is, and filling in too many gaps with assumptions that will prove incorrect. I'm not saying we should stifle speculation and fun internet forum debate though,
        Yeah you could be very right its not big enough. I'm only suggesting it because of the rumor when it was just suppose to be the backlot behind TOT would get a Marvel roller coaster. But of course this was all before the TOT/GOTG change and we now know they are thinking bigger. Since there was talk of making that plot Marvel based I think they can add a really nice size attraction and shops where ABL is now. At least it would feel more cohesive. As I said if there was no GOTG tower there, I would be fine if they built it all in the courtyard. But now it just feels kind of lop sided IF the plan is to build the Marvel stuff on the other side. The only thing I can imagine is knocking down the theater and that would give tons of space to create a really great area and try to connect it to the plot behind TOT. But I don't see that happening obviously.

        But you're right of course we don't really know what they have planned. For an entire year we kept hearing SWL was either going to take over parts of TL or replace ToonTown completely and Disney surprised us all. But again, the problem for *me* personally is now we have this giant Marvel attraction sitting in this area with no connection to anything. I would think (or hope) they are at least planning on building more around it to connect to something because right now it just sticks out like a sore thumb. And if they do add the back stage area I guess I rather see them go all out and build a bigger land in general with ABL.

        And as I said I'm not saying you have to have no kids area in the new land, it just doesn't have to be a land devoted strictly for kids. I can easily a Marvel themed play area and 1-2 smaller rides in it. And as also said they could build a nice family ride for everyone and not just thrill rides like GOTG and Iron Man in Hong Kong.
        Last edited by Fctiger; 03-19-2017, 10:05 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Because it would make too much sense.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
            I would turn all the yellow area (see photo) into Marvel Land. The shed/garage for the Red Car Trolley can be moved to the east of GOTG. That way it can stay in the Hollywood-themed area next to the Hyperion.
            The majority of the year that parking lot is unused. And those small structures to the south are just trailers which really don't serve a purpose either and can be moved. Imagineering is located in one of them, but I'm sure they prefer to have a nice office in one of the white structures to the east.
            Yeah that was part of my original idea. ABL would just be in addition to that. Because I think that space is big enough for one addition ride, its not big enough to feel like a complete land on its own IMO. Especially as that IP just gets so much bigger. I'm thinking if they had a few more acres they could give it more breathing room and a nice theme. And plus its kind of odd how Marvel would just be in this tiny little corner of the park. I can't IMAGINE how busy it would get with now GOTG and whatever was thrown back there. Not to mention you would just have essentially one main entrance to it. But with ABL, you would obviously have more space and it would connect to the main pathway leaving BVS where the entrance to ABL is now and two main ways to enter/exit. It wouldn't feel so boxed in.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have been thinking the same thing for a while now. I think the ABL area is on borrowed time to be quite honest. I could see the entire behind the Tower as well as ABL getting turned into the new Marvel area.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hyperion's fate is definitely the linch pin in how they will either make it work or make it weird.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I also have had the same theory for quite some time and now I realize the sight lines give Guardians away as the centerpiece of a long skinny new Marvel Land replacing A Bugs Land. This afternoon I tested the theory - the building is practically invisible from the Hollywood Studios back lot area unless you're all the way at the back along the current path heading to Hyperion - the Animation studios building cuts it off.

                  From the second you walk into A Bugs Land it's perfectly centered as the background overlooking the land. Once you look past the obnoxious design - it appears they are designed to face that direction while the former Hollywood Tower Hotel front was clearly designed to face towards the Hyperion theater along the back path, the color "pops" more as if this was an intended effect. Hard to describe until you're looking at it. Hasn't this tower been referred to as "overlooking" a future Marvel themed area? There is a bit of wasted space along the trail into Cars Land that could be incorporated although I agree the Red Car Trolley stop will need adjusting, plus the back where the trail currently narrows into a "funnel" of bamboo could be widened. If you keep going in a straight line you're going through the backstage doors into the area behind TOT where the launch coaster is believed to be planned. This is another critical key - Disney has been trying to create three approach paths to new lands, this started with Cars Land and is being repeated with Star Wars land. Approach from the main parade route, from back of Hollywood by Hyperion theater, and from Cars Land - there's your three paths. Build Hyperion the enclosed lobby it desperately needs - and it could be built behind the theater on the current bus path. Again more room for this Marvel Land albeit a small piece.

                  This leaves the dead Hollywood Studios area set for a small kids area similar to A Bugs Land. Monsters is already one attraction, until expansion space comes up with the new Eastern Gateway they would be able to shoehorn in a new show in the former Muppets theater and something else to keep the kids busy in the former Flynn's building and/or Stage 17. They need just enough attractions to hold over the younger audience until they can build onto the former bus area. They could do a higher quality version of the Hollywood theme, maybe as the Disney Animation Studios instead of using the Hollywood Studios name. Eventually one of the buildings would have to be leveled to create the pathway into the rest of the land, I think Monsters would be the path of least resistance. The rumored Mickey ride could go there.

                  I'm sure the details will change but I really believe that A Bugs Land's days are numbered and Marvel will eventually rule the area.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Im shocked it's taken this long for another thread about getting rid of "A Bug's Land" to pop up. I feel like I have already killed this horse on the reasons to keep it and why it is needed. So because of that, I will stick to the, it's really not that much space spiel for fear of re-killing the horse. Honestly, there is barely enough room to create a decent enough e-ticket attraction in that space, which really wouldn't even include the space required for the queue. It's really not worth the removal of the land, especially when there is so much room both North and South of Hollywood that Disneyland is willing to use.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
                      Im shocked it's taken this long for another thread about getting rid of "A Bug's Land" to pop up. I feel like I have already killed this horse on the reasons to keep it and why it is needed. So because of that, I will stick to the, it's really not that much space spiel for fear of re-killing the horse. Honestly, there is barely enough room to create a decent enough e-ticket attraction in that space, which really wouldn't even include the space required for the queue. It's really not worth the removal of the land, especially when there is so much room both North and South of Hollywood that Disneyland is willing to use.
                      Uh I'm not trying to 'get rid' of anything and as I said several times now the addition of GOTG has kind of forced this thinking stronger now because I just don't see how they can build this very big Marvel centerpiece but not theme it to anything else unless they are thinking bigger.

                      If GOTG wasn't there, I don't think I would even consider it. But its there now and its Marvel, the hottest franchise on the globe right now vs a play area from a 20 year old movie I think the age group its intended for may not even seen.

                      Now you could be right its just not enough room to do anything major with it but I don't know how long that little space will last as they expand and simply add more kid attractions. That said if they can find a way to make it work and not take it down, thats fine. I have no issues with the area, I'm just thinking it could possibly be on the chopping block if they want a cohesive Marvel area. and not just different attractions in different places like a lot of the Pixar stuff.
                      Last edited by Fctiger; 03-20-2017, 02:24 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fctiger View Post

                        Uh I'm not trying to 'get rid' of anything and as I said several times now the addition of GOTG has kind of forced this thinking stronger now because I just don't see how they can build this very big Marvel centerpiece but not theme it to anything else unless they are thinking bigger.

                        If GOTG wasn't there, I don't think I would even consider it. But its there now and its Marvel, the hottest franchise on the globe right now vs a play area from a 20 year old movie I think the age group its intended for may not even seen.

                        Now you could be right its just not enough room to do anything major with it but I don't know how long that little space will last as they expand and simply add more kid attractions. That said if they can find a way to make it work and not take it down, thats fine. I have no issues with the area, I'm just thinking it could possibly be on the chopping block if they want a cohesive Marvel area. and not just different attractions in different places like a lot of the Pixar stuff.
                        The only way I see "A Bug's land" leave is via the same way the Tower left. Just glue a new sign to each attraction and say it's from Marvel.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Isn't there and encompassing maintenance road/tunnel around the whole land? As far as I remember the cereal box is a bridge in disguise aside from clever placemaking.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GameNBurger View Post
                            Isn't there and encompassing maintenance road/tunnel around the whole land? As far as I remember the cereal box is a bridge in disguise aside from clever placemaking.
                            Nope, no tunnel. The cereal box is possibly a disguise because of how tight the space was for the entry.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post

                              Nope, no tunnel. The cereal box is possibly a disguise because of how tight the space was for the entry.
                              Don't the satellite images clearly show a road going through the box tho?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X