Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

MiceChat Knott's Scary Farm Event

Tickets for MiceChat's annual Knott's Scary Farm meetup are now on sale. Event info can be found here - scaryfarm2017.eventzilla.net
2 of 3 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply.
3 of 3 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Which was better: the 50th Anniversary or the 60th Anniversary?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about merch tie-in for me. To start, the theme of the 60th (diamond) screams gawdy mess, but Disney also chose a weird depiction of the fab five.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sixsix8369922.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	8505245

This made nearly all of the art and souvenirs un-buyable. Though it doesn't appeal to everyone, we got some great Shag prints. If anything, though, I think it set the tone for all the other releases.

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	8505248

Next was the lack of music offerings. For the 50th, we got a beautiful box set. For the 60th, we got a Disneyland Legacy edition CD with (I think) one unreleased track.

Name:	mhod4.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	8505246Click image for larger version

Name:	XVCOMBO11.jpg
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	8505247

Comment

Thanks for the good posts on this thread!

I'm going with the 50th because it was such an improvement from what it was before,
      Also I liked the merchandise, including the pair of free mouse ears we won,
      and the 6 CD collection of Disneyland recordings.

But probably the biggest reasons I liked the 50th were because my daughter was 2, the some of the fall weekdays were still uncrowded, and some of those visits were among the very happiest days of my life.

Now if it were between Disneyland's 50th & WDW's 1976 Bicentennial celebration it'd be a tough call for me.
      Last edited by jcruise86; 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
        Thanks for the good posts on this thread!

I'm going with the 50th because it was such an improvement from what it was before,
        Also I liked the merchandise, including the pair of free mouse ears we won,
        and the 6 CD collection of Disneyland recordings.

But probably the biggest reasons I liked the 50th were because my daughter was 2, the some of the fall weekdays were still uncrowded, and some of those visits were among the very happiest days of my life.

Now if it were between Disneyland's 50th & WDW's 1976 Bicentennial celebration it'd be a tough call for me.
        I love my 50th 6 CD collection of Disneyland recordings as well.....
        I also enjoy ,Disney Commemorate the United States Bicentennial with" America On Parade" during 1975-1976 !
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Yeah as others have mentioned, the 50th held more significance and improvements, it felt like a true celebration of the park's past half-century. My fam and I bought the 2-disc anniversary album, the 50th guidebook, all the golden ears with our names on it, etc.

The only things I'll remember from the 60th is Paint The Night, fireworks projections, and the Hat Box Ghost (if he counts as a 60th addition).
          Last edited by Disney Boy; 04-21-2017, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

This is a great characterization. The 60th anniversary was definitely great, but it just isn't the milestone that the 50th was for Disneyland. I was fairly young when I experienced the 50th anniversary, but I can definitively pinpoint that year as the time when I became a lifelong dedicated Disneyland fan. I almost feel like a sucker for them having captured me, but it was just such a great time to be in the parks and revel in the combination of nostalgia and memories.
            I have loved Disney for as long as I can remember, but I, too, can point to the 50th anniversary as the point in time when I became a Disney Fan with a capital "F". It was truly a magical time to be in the parks.

Comment

50th was special. The 60th didn't seem as nice.
              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

50th was so much fun, you could actually recognize the celebration. I just wasn't impressed by the 60th...it was like any other trip with different merchandise to buy.

Comment

The 50th seem more special because being the 50th anniversary for one but yes the fireworks were amazing as was the parade. And the celebration just felt bigger in general. The 60th was good too and gave us more great fireworks (although Remember is better but still great) and a new night time parade. But also the 60th had a new and more confident DCA to celebrate with it. For the 50th DCA was still that park people shunned and mostly went to when DL got too busy or to ride Soarin and TOT and head back to DL. By the 60th it felt its own complete park which was nice.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority... but I liked the 60th more! Disneyland Forever > Remember Dreams Come True,

Plus, I like Blue and Silver more than gold.

Comment

I love the 50th anniversary over the 60th anniversary! The Happiest Homecoming on Earth was the largest Disneyland milestone celebration ever made. All younger Disney theme parks around the world before Shanghai Disneyland opened celebrated their eldest sister park!

I am glad to be part of the wonderful anniversary when I was in my mid teens and I still miss it. I want to go back in time and experience Disneyland during the 50th again.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                      Save
                      Sav

Comment

I liked the 50th better--the parade and fireworks were amazing. The merchandise was really nice, beautifully made and affordable. Most important, the park wasn't so congested for 1 1/2 years. You could actually come back for repeat visits to enjoy the park and see the parade & fireworks several times without fighting zillions of people. For the 60th, we only saw Paint the Night twice and the fireworks once because it was just too much work to deal with the hordes of people.

Comment

In my experience, since I did both, I liked the 50th more.

That could just be residual nostalgia, though. And not having as much ridiculous crowding to deal with in 2005 as opposed to 2016.
                          Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X