This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the different spellings?

I have been wondering something. Why is it at Disneyland that "King Authur Carrousel" spelled with two R's, in Disneyland Paris it is "Le Carrousel de Lancelot" and over at Tokyo Disneyland its "Castle Carrousel" and over at DCA its "King Triton's Carousel" and at Magic Kingdom they have "Carousel of Progress", Hong Kong has "Cinderella Carousel"

Why have some attractions spelled caRousel while others spelled caRRousel.

Re: Why the different spellings?

Carrousel with two r's is technically a misspelling, but it's a common one. Like "theatre," it might be that way because it looks more like "olde" European.

Interesting question. Almost as compelling as why some rotate clockwise and others counter-clockwise.

Comment

There's no difference; they're just alternate spellings. Answers.com gives the single-r variant as the predominant one, though the French carrousel (two rs) is cited in the etymology.

EDIT:
      Carrousel with two r's is technically a misspelling, but it's a common one. Like "theatre," it might be that way because it looks more like "olde" European.
      Not true. From what I can find online, "carrousel" is perfectly acceptable--in fact, it's technically more etymologically correct. "Theatre", for that matter, isn't incorrect either; it's just the British spelling.

Comment

In Europe (particularly France), it is referred to as a carrousel. In other settings, they are known as carousels- with only one "r". I'm guessing that due to the European setting of Fantasyland, the correct spelling was chosen (though the spelling of Hong Kong's belies this).
        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post

Interesting question. Almost as compelling as why some rotate clockwise and others counter-clockwise.
          I am not sure that theatre is a true mispelling because it is from our neighbours across the drink in England. It is in their common usage. Go into your MSWord program and you will see that you can get American English as well as British English. I did my graduate work in Australia and my dissertation was done in Australian English. I can't say that one or the other is correct.

Considering the theme of the attraction in this case comes from England, I would think the double "r" is more appropriate.

As for clockwise and counter-clockwise and odd questions- lets add in that up through the 80's, typically neckties in the US with stripes slanted down from the left \\\ whereas european ties were slanted up ///.

Comment

I've ALWAYS wondered this/it's always 'bugged-me,' thanks for bringin this Q' up!

Comment

My trusty 1949 Webster's Collegiate lists the single 'r' as the variant. They are both acceptable spellings as is theatre, theater or catalogue, catalog.
              As GBS said - we are two countries divided by a common language.

Comment

Don't forget the Golden Horseshoe ReVUE...

Comment

The rotation is the difference between Carousels and Merry-Go-Rounds. One goes clockwise the other goes Counter-Clockwise. Don't ask which is which because I can't remember. I have a big book on Carousel Horses and it gives that explanation, and because I am rearranging things right now, I cannot get to any of my books on anything. Also Merry Go Rounds have mixtures of animals and Carousels only have horses. Both have bench seating as well.
                  Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

As GBS said - we are two countries divided by a common language.
                    Actually, it's a common language divided by two countries, and we are two countries divided by our differing views of a common language, but who's counting?

Comment

When Webster was compiling his dictionary he diliberatly changed the spellings of many words. This would include - re, as in theatre or litre, becoming -er, theater and liter. Neither is "incorrect" (I would prefer to say non- standard) as Standard English split into Standard American English and Standard British Engle. Many American spellings are from Webster's efforts to establish am American tongue.

A clear misspelling is "orbiter" in Disneyland's Astro Orbitor. At the Magic Kingdom the attraction is Astro Orbiter. Supposedly Disneyland's is trying for a connection to Paris' attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverlandtink View Post
                        Don't forget the Golden Horseshoe ReVUE...
                        If it were the Golden Horseshoe Review, it would be like you're going to review the Golden Horseshoe or vice versa or even see the Golden Horseshoe again.

Comment

Actually, Theater and Theatre are both words with separate meanings (at least in the theater business). Theater is the physical building while theatre is the idea. In the case of carousel though I think it's just differences between America and Europe.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/Dige....02.28.05.html

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                              Actually, Theater and Theatre are both words with separate meanings (at least in the theater business). Theater is the physical building while theatre is the idea. In the case of carousel though I think it's just differences between America and Europe.
                              That is how the seperate spellings evolved in the United States, but before Webster there was just " theatre" ( take just lightly as standardization was still coming about).

Comment

OK, let's toss another "factoid" into the mix:

Despite the preferred spelling, generally a Carousel has horses or other animals that move up and down mechanically. Merry-Go-Rounds generally have fixed "seats" that do not move.

Both carousels and merry-go-rounds generally go counter clockwise in the US. European carousels and merry-go-rounds generally go clockwise. Similarly, while horse races and auto races go counter clockwise in the US, they go clockwise in the UK and much of Europe.

Clocks in both Europe and the US, however, generally run clockwise.
                                "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                                -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Just like Lafitte Landing (or Laffite Landing). I think that it's ridiculous how Dland spells it 2 different ways in one park. Pick one and hope it's right!

Comment

Ir's like how in Europe, they have the letter "u" to some words. Like... colour, favourite, etc. I personally like it better that way, but I'm a dork like that.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                      Ir's like how in Europe, they have the letter "u" to some words. Like... colour, favourite, etc. I personally like it better that way, but I'm a dork like that.
                                      Canada does that too.
                                      Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                        Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                                        Canada does that too.
                                        Another spelling difference started by Webster.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X