Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Forums Retheme

Hello Folks,

Delayed, due to unforeseen circumstances our presentation of "MiceChat Forum Makeover" has been delayed till next weekend.

MiceChat Forums will be going through a design change and much needed update. This update will give a more modern look as well as bring in mobile viewing options. So you may see the forums looking strange as we implement the new look.

Thank you all, and happy MiceChatting!
See more
See less

Summer of Heroes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Summer of Heroes

Advertisement released today.

Spider-Man swinging over Paradise Pier is easily the worst thing about this advertisement. I feel like I'm watching a commercial for Universal Studios.

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
      Spider-Man swinging over Paradise Pier is easily the worst thing about this advertisement. I feel like I'm watching a commercial for Universal Studios.
      Spider man is all wrong, I agree. He's too close to the ground at the front gates to the park, because he'd nave nothing to be swinging off of at that point.

This is a fairly poor advertisement, because none of this stuff will be happening in the park, at all, at any time. There will be nobody diving off a rooftop in order to tumble over the trolly tracks. Rocket, if he turns out to be a costumed character in the future, will never end up being that short, nor will he be leading kids through backstage areas. The only Groot that is going to appear is going to be a stuffed one, or one dancing in a pot. Spider-Man won't be swinging from anything, anywhere in the park, because they didn't add him to the Pirates of the Caribbean section of the new Fantasmic! show. Captain America won't be throwing his shield anywhere on park grounds unless he accidentally tosses it while pointing out directions to some lost vacationer.

But, Disney did need a summer commercial to bring in crowds, and this is the best they can come up with, right now, due to Star Wars Land construction in the main park. No hint of a reopening of the Railroad, the Rivers of America, or Fantasmic!, at all, which might lend credence to their reopening being pushed back to mid to late summer, if not farther out than that. Also, no hint of a night parade at Disneyland, in this commercial, which might mean that either they view Paint the Night as old news, of that they are unsure at this time if Paint the Night is going to reappear for the summer, or if the Electric Light Parade is going to stick around.

Honestly, a fairly disappointing commercial.

Comment

I like the shot of Rocket Raccoon in this add. Mostly because you get a quick glimpse of how the boiler room is gonna look.

Comment

My whole thought of it: it look lame.

Comment

Have to say it but Baby Groot is adorable. That little guy will probably sell more units to pay for the overlay by the end of the year.

Comment

I think I would prefer a summer of churros.

Comment

Looks fine to me. People complain about anything and everything on here.

Comment

The Spiderman swinging over the park is very reminiscent of universal studios. I was in the park when they we're filming these ads, I'm surprised how much work went into some of these scenes as it wasn't even used for half a second.
                  Check Out my Instagram - http://instagram.com/bradinsocal

Comment

meh...who cares

Comment

Summer of zeroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Black05Hemi View Post
                        Looks fine to me. People complain about anything and everything on here.
                        They really do.

It looks fine to me. Is it preferred that it's essentially a marvel takeover of a CA-themed park? No. But it's an ad that serves its purpose.

Comment

Being able to meet Groot is gonna be exciting. People that don't even like Marvel seem to love Groot.

Comment

I like how when Spider-Man swings into the park it looks like tower of terror is still covered in tarps.

Comment

It's nice to see a campaign directed at DCA rather than DL, I guess. My problem is that Disney is not (yet) synonymous with Marvel. I guess it's a case of Cognitive Dissonance.
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                It's nice to see a campaign directed at DCA rather than DL, I guess. My problem is that Disney is not (yet) synonymous with Marvel. I guess it's a case of Cognitive Dissonance.
                                Disney acquired Marvel in 2009 and I feel like most people still don't associate the two. Less than a year after buying Lucasfilm, though, just about everything I talked to associated Star Wars with Disney. After seeing some of the Marvel attractions already put in the parks, it really makes me feel like Marvel was a mistake for Disney (not financially, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                  Sure because there isn't a lot of ties to Disney itself. But in a decade that will all change as more Marvel rides and lands are in the parks. Disneyland Paris and HKDL have already announced they are getting Marvel lands. Iron Man is already in Hong Kong and obviously MB is coming to DCA along with probably a Marvel land announcement this year (fingers crossed) at D 23. And another poster said it, its only been 8 years but really its just been the last two they they have actively pushed to bring the brand in the theme parks. Most people wondered why it didn't happen sooner? But with the brand being the biggest in the world it will only speed things up faster now. We may not see Marvel as Disney but anyone under 10 soon will.

Comment

Disney acquired Marvel in 2009 and I feel like most people still don't associate the two. Less than a year after buying Lucasfilm, though, just about everything I talked to associated Star Wars with Disney. After seeing some of the Marvel attractions already put in the parks, it really makes me feel like Marvel was a mistake for Disney (not financially, of course).
                                    Disney has had a relationship with Star Wars for literally 30 years now. Star Tours has been there since the 80s including all their merchandise. They put on yearly Star Wars events at WDW since the 90s. They have had Star Wars shows and characters in the parks and was practically honoree Disney characters for awhile before they ever bought it.

Now that they actually own it, it just makes sense because its next evolution of what they been doing with it for so long but now they build entire lands around it and not just separate rides here and there.

After 30 year of Marvel, believe me it will feel like its always been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post

Disney has had a relationship with Star Wars for literally 30 years now. Star Tours has been there since the 80s including all their merchandise. They put on yearly Star Wars events at WDW since the 90s. They have had Star Wars shows and characters in the parks and was practically honoree Disney characters for awhile before they ever bought it.

Now that they actually own it, it just makes sense because its next evolution of what they been doing with it for so long but now they build entire lands around it and not just separate rides here and there.

After 30 year of Marvel, believe me it will feel like its always been there.
                                      I think it's slightly more than that. You see, with (the original) Star Tours, what makes it so great is we're exploring these wonderful worlds from Star Wars. We see no reference to Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, or Darth Vader. The only characters from the movie we see are R2 and 3PO and they're exclusively in the queue. This is because Star Wars takes (mostly) ordinary characters and places them in extraordinary worlds.

The exact opposite is true with Marvel. With Marvel, we see extraordinary people in ordinary worlds.

While Spider-Man or Iron Man are both great characters, there's nothing special about New York or Los Angeles. You cannot create an entire ride around a character in a normal world. Theme parks completely rely on extraordinary worlds. Even Indiana Jones Adventure, while Indiana Jones is heavily present, we're placed in an exotic temple.

This is precisely why the Iron Man attraction in Hong Kong is so awful. Sure we have Iron Man who's cool and all, but he's just in Hong Kong. Who cares? There's nothing special about Hong Kong, especially if you live there. If you live in or around Anaheim, why would you then want to ride a simulator that takes you around Anaheim? It's a terrible base for an attraction.

There are, of course, a few exceptions. Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel (I think?), and the Guardians of the Galaxy, who all take place in these extraordinary worlds. This is one of the many reasons why Mission Breakout angers me so much. Guardians of the Galaxy has this rich and beautiful world with diverse species, and instead of focusing on it and allowing guests to explore it, we're trapped in some building with these characters we already know. The entire attraction will be focused on the characters rather than the world the movie set up. Which is just upsetting as someone who really likes Guardians of the Galaxy.

I need to flesh this out more, but basically characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Captain America can never have their own attractions and have them work well because they're mostly all set in real world locations and completely rely on characters and you cannot have an entire ride based on characters.
                                      Last edited by RPaul; 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I think it's slightly more than that. You see, with (the original) Star Tours, what makes it so great is we're exploring these wonderful worlds from Star Wars. We see no reference to Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, or Darth Vader. The only characters from the movie we see are R2 and 3PO and they're exclusively in the queue. This is because Star Wars takes (mostly) ordinary characters and places them in extraordinary worlds.

The exact opposite is true with Marvel. With Marvel, we see extraordinary people in ordinary worlds.

While Spider-Man or Iron Man are both great characters, there's nothing special about New York or Los Angeles. You cannot create an entire ride around a character in a normal world. Theme parks completely rely on extraordinary worlds. Even Indiana Jones Adventure, while Indiana Jones is heavily present, we're placed in an exotic temple.

This is precisely why the Iron Man attraction in Hong Kong is so awful. Sure we have Iron Man who's cool and all, but he's just in Hong Kong. Who cares? There's nothing special about Hong Kong, especially if you live there. If you live in or around Anaheim, why would you then want to ride a simulator that takes you around Anaheim? It's a terrible base for an attraction.

There are, of course, a few exceptions. Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel (I think?), and the Guardians of the Galaxy, who all take place in these extraordinary worlds. This is one of the many reasons why Mission Breakout angers me so much. Guardians of the Galaxy has this rich and beautiful world with diverse species, and instead of focusing on it and allowing guests to explore it, we're trapped in some building with these characters we already know. The entire attraction will be focused on the characters rather than the world the movie set up. Which is just upsetting as someone who really likes Guardians of the Galaxy.

I need to flesh this out more, but basically characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Captain America can never have their own attractions and have them work well because they're mostly all set in real world locations and completely rely on characters and you cannot have an entire ride based on characters.
                                        I get your point with the old Star Tours but that changed in 2011 and in fact it seems to be more popular because now you get characters from Yoda to Vader, Leia and Finn as part of the ride. So thats no longer valid. And my guess is with SWL there will be tons of characters from the films who will be part of the new land. Thats what ALL Disney IPs do. I don't really see the difference at this point between Marvel and say, all the Pixar characters showing up in the rides?

And I have to really disagree with your theory about characters being in normal places. Spider-Man in USJ and IOA takes place in New York and is one of the best rides ever. As for GOTG I hear you but I'm going to wait to see what they actually do first. And who knows how they will create the lands since most Marvel characters may take place on Earth but they deal with a lot of cosmic stuff too as the Infinity War films will deal with heavily.

But I guess my point is it sounds like most people here are older. I could be wrong but it sounds like most people here or over 30 and 40 and we're not the main demographic for the new Marvel stuff going in. Its going to be the under 15 Disney is really pushing for who will grow up with GOTG like kids are today and just see it as part of Disney as you see Star Wars as part of Disney today. It doesnt fit now because there is literally no Marvel rides in the parks minus Iron Man. But in a decade once Marvel land come around and they actually designed rides from the ground up and not just lay overs like GOTG that will change real fast. Marvel is huge, its still crazy Disney now owns two of the biggest franchises on the planet right now, Star Wars and Marvel. Those guys must go to work with a smile on their face every day.

Comment

Working...
                                        X