Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

Millennium Falcon ride system confirmed, Bob Chapek/Joe Rhode profile, Avatarland...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Millennium Falcon ride system confirmed, Bob Chapek/Joe Rhode profile, Avatarland...

Yesterday, Bloomberg Businessweek published an article that confirmed the speculation in another Micechat thread titled Please Stop Calling the Millenium Falcon Attraction a 'Star Tours' you can control. I am not putting this article in that thread simply because it covers a wide variety of aspects about Disney Parks & Resorts, including Avatarland and executive management. This profile is a great read, because it talks to Joe Rhode about both his work at Disney and on Avatarland, covers Bob Chapek's desire to beat Universal's Harry Potter World, and interviews Scott Trowbridge, who is overseeing Star Wars Land's development. If you don't feel like reading the full article, I've excerpted the quote about the Millennium Falcon below.

Full article: Disney’s Intergalactic Theme Park Quest to Beat Harry Potter

Trowbridge leads his guests to an SUV for a short trip to a nondescript warehouse. No signs signify what’s going on in the building; if there were any, fans would no doubt be sifting through the trash bins outside. Trowbridge heads into the main space of the warehouse, where a round, black sphere resembling a small Death Star sits. Inside the malevolent-looking structure, the Imagineers are testing a prototype of the Millennium Falcon ride. A ladder leads up to a crude version of the cockpit, made with plywood, foam, and thumbtacks. It’s surrounded in front by a screen that gives the Falcon’s riders the illusion that they’re in some kind of docking bay, ready for takeoff. From there, they can go for a test run in an Imax-like environment, navigating their way through tunnels and out into space, where they must dodge the Imperial fleet’s TIE fighters.

The real ride will be much more polished and convincing, of course. The mock-up is designed primarily to see how test subjects respond. The Imagineers have put pilots ranging in age from 3 to 79 behind the controls, which tells you something about the franchise’s broad demographic appeal. The cockpit is rigged with cameras that record the grimaces and shouts of a few novices who repeatedly crash the world’s favorite spaceship while attempting to steer it out of a tunnel. We can’t all be Han Solo.

“Ultimately, we’re in the fun business,” Trowbridge says. “People have to laugh and scream. It’s OK to hit things.”

Thanks for posting this!

The article has a great quote from Joe. Even though he is referring to Avatarland, he has said this kind of thing before about Imagineering's thematic world-building in general, and it bears repeating:

“This is an art form,” Rohde proclaims, stretching his hands in front of him as if plucking the right words out of the air. “Art speaks. People respond. Technology is a cognitive, intellectual thing. Art is visceral. Art is a body experience. It is universal. Remember, we make these places for everybody. That means, first and foremost, this is an emotional experience. You could be from Papua New Guinea. You should be able to walk in here, and it is like the first morning of a new world.”

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

That quote from Rhode was art itself, Mr. Wiggins! I love his passion and devotion to the project. Say what you want about Pandora, but those pictures are stunning. Really excited to see it in action. Thanks for sharing, OP!

Comment

Interesting, no doubt, but I'm still left wanting to know more, as I often find myself when discussing Star Wars land. So much of it is unclear on how it will work. Sure it's a screen and we get to control it, but can we crash the Falcon? Will be placed with strangers on the ride and left to their mercy? Things like that, in my opinion, can really ruin an attraction. I don't want to see an over scaled video game where you're just trying to rack up points and not get shot down.

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
          Interesting, no doubt, but I'm still left wanting to know more, as I often find myself when discussing Star Wars land. So much of it is unclear on how it will work. Sure it's a screen and we get to control it, but can we crash the Falcon? Will be placed with strangers on the ride and left to their mercy? Things like that, in my opinion, can really ruin an attraction. I don't want to see an over scaled video game where you're just trying to rack up points and not get shot down.
          You have two years, minimum, before the ride and land debut. It's a bit early to be dropping details like those.

Comment

Thx WaltDisney'sAlec for this post. This is a huge reason many come to this site.

What we really need is a huge model of the expansion. If they were to unveil one today, I'd be there in less than a week to gawk at it.

Back to the article... screen based is confirmed. Anyone have any guesses as to what type (s)..?
            As part of a Public Service Announcement...
            Guardians Of The Galaxy
            Mission: Breakout
            ...is abbreviated like this
            GOTG M:B
            The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
            That is all. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

What we really need is a huge model of the expansion. If they were to unveil one today, I'd be there in less than a week to gawk at it.
              I really hope we get this at D23 and I'm half expecting we will.

Comment

Wow that made me more excited!

And yeah I never thought it would be anything other than screen based. The few clips we seen of it has made it clear and its kind of hard to do anything else when you are suppose to be locked inside a cockpit. Its not the same when you're inside a doom buggy or a boat. This sounds like its going to take the idea of Star Tours but factor it by 10!

Comment

A screen-based attraction seems totally appropriate to me. All the action is outside of the cockpit and will mostly be vehicles and space stuff flying around. Animatronics are best suited for life-like creatures, so this sounds OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    Thanks for posting this!

The article has a great quote from Joe. Even though he is referring to Avatarland, he has said this kind of thing before about Imagineering's thematic world-building in general, and it bears repeating:

“This is an art form,” Rohde proclaims, stretching his hands in front of him as if plucking the right words out of the air. “Art speaks. People respond. Technology is a cognitive, intellectual thing. Art is visceral. Art is a body experience. It is universal. Remember, we make these places for everybody. That means, first and foremost, this is an emotional experience. You could be from Papua New Guinea. You should be able to walk in here, and it is like the first morning of a new world.”
                    Yes, His Mission Breakout Façade sure is a work of art alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I would share to Joe Rohde
                      That not ever one, see Art in same Fashion, and Art has long been controversial,
                      that is to say disliked by some viewers, for a wide variety of reasons.........
                      and some your New World,I would not want, walk into !
                      IMO
                      Last edited by Eagleman; 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

What a great article thanks for sharing! I have been waiting to book my WDW ever since they announced Avatar going in November! As for Star Wars I cannot wait to check it out in 2 years!
                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        My company had a special night at the park
                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

Comment

I think the original tower was pretty odd-looking and obtrusive. To add a bunch of stuff to the outside. Eh. It doesn't bother me. I really enjoy 'The Twilight Zone' and Rod Serling and yet, I feel no pang of loss with the new ''GOTG" moving in.

I'm amazed Disney was able to pull it together so that the movie and the attraction open around the same time.
                          Last edited by Jim in Merced CA; 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM.
                          Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
                            im amazed Disney was able to pull it together so that the movie and the attraction open around the same time.
                            It is Amazing.......Re-Skin "TOWER" is Disney ,PURE ,cheap , ADVERTISEMENT at it best ...Thanks to Disney Marketing!
                            imo
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                              A screen-based attraction seems totally appropriate to me. All the action is outside of the cockpit and will mostly be vehicles and space stuff flying around. Animatronics are best suited for life-like creatures, so this sounds OK.
                              That being said, when you think about Star Tours, even though it is a Screenbased attraction, C3PO is physically there in the cockpit with us in Animatronic form. I think that's what makes Star Tours intriguing for me is that not only is there the screen, but there's an AA sitting there with us and interacting with on screen characters and events. Something about having C3PO (or his predecessor RX24 "Rex") makes the whole experience that much more relatable than just a screen.

I'm personally hoping they'll include an AA Chewbacca or other character in the Falcon cockpit with us. Imagine having Chewie roar in disapproval everytime you make a mistake in the Falcon, or worse, total the ship...
                              "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                              "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X