Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Space Mountain's coming back!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Space Mountain's coming back!

    Space Mountain is set to return June 1st. It's back, baby!

    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...k-this-summer/

  • #2
    Finally, Quite over star wars



    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Awesome! I was actually terrified when someone said they wanted to leave Hyperspace Mountain up until the opening of Star Wars Land. I would have believed it too, given that there's always a new Star Wars movie coming out every year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
        Awesome! I was actually terrified when someone said they wanted to leave Hyperspace Mountain up until the opening of Star Wars Land. I would have believed it too, given that there's always a new Star Wars movie coming out every year.
        I'm guessing the whole it turning 40 this year saved us, although it will be opening days after the anniversary, lol. Hopefully they keep it as the regular, but then again they will probably change it again come September.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sounds great. I think space mountain could use well done projection imagery year round. Having said that, hyperspace mountain was honestly pretty poorly done and needed to go a long time ago. It was fine for a temporary overlay but id like to see the quality jump significantly before anything permanent is installed.
          In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
            Hopefully they keep it as the regular, but then again they will probably change it again come September.
            This is what I'm expecting, but honestly, as long as I can ride classic Space Mountain, the Disneyland Railroad, and the Mark Twain all in one day this year, I'll be happy.

            Comment


            • #7
              I still dont understand why people want the original back? If your comparing both aspects of this ride (even if your not a Star Wars fan) the Hyperspace overlay is way more entertaining and puts in the midst of an actual space battle. Now as we all know the original verison of the ride has been gone for some time now, but I dont understand how riding around in the dark with just stars and a big orange moon or sun is a better experience?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                I still dont understand why people want the original back? If your comparing both aspects of this ride (even if your not a Star Wars fan) the Hyperspace overlay is way more entertaining and puts in the midst of an actual space battle. Now as we all know the original verison of the ride has been gone for some time now, but I dont understand how riding around in the dark with just stars and a big orange moon or sun is a better experience?
                Would you prefer to watch the $1 million budgeted independent film with a fascinating storyline and interesting characters or the $100 million budgeted summer blockbuster where you don't know what's going on?

                The original Space Mountain is a fantastic example of less is more. Yes, you're in the dark, but that's entirely the thrill. You don't know what's coming up next or where you're going. Everything is a surprise. And then there's the soundtrack which is wonderful. And, while I know it didn't go away with Hyperspace Mountain, the queue's detailing and theming is some of the best in the park, honestly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                  I still dont understand why people want the original back? If your comparing both aspects of this ride (even if your not a Star Wars fan) the Hyperspace overlay is way more entertaining and puts in the midst of an actual space battle. Now as we all know the original verison of the ride has been gone for some time now, but I dont understand how riding around in the dark with just stars and a big orange moon or sun is a better experience?
                  I'm curious as to what big orange moon or sun you're talking about? Are you talking about the geosphere that was eliminated in the 2003-2005 refurbishment?
                  Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RPaul View Post

                    Would you prefer to watch the $1 million budgeted independent film with a fascinating storyline and interesting characters or the $100 million budgeted summer blockbuster where you don't know what's going on?

                    The original Space Mountain is a fantastic example of less is more. Yes, you're in the dark, but that's entirely the thrill. You don't know what's coming up next or where you're going. Everything is a surprise. And then there's the soundtrack which is wonderful. And, while I know it didn't go away with Hyperspace Mountain, the queue's detailing and theming is some of the best in the park, honestly.
                    It doesnt matter to me how much money is spent on creating a movie now a days, because most things are freakin CGI which we all know can also have a very negative effect. So I dont know why that even matters but back to my inquiry... When you say the entire "thrill" is moving around in the dark. There are 2 main issues with that comparison. 1) Umm Hyperspace was also in the dark (minus any extra light from the projections) 2) I would have to say about 80 -90% of the people riding have rode this ride numerous times...so the thrill is where now?

                    Im not trying to dog on Space Mountain by any means as its an all time favorite and classic ride in the park and one my personal favs. Im just saying, the entertainment value on the overlay is way above the original (in my opinion) :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hyperspace Mountain has its place as a seasonal overlay, but it doesn't need to be a permanent fixture.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                        I'm curious as to what big orange moon or sun you're talking about? Are you talking about the geosphere that was eliminated in the 2003-2005 refurbishment?
                        Yea...thats it :-) Ok so there are just stars

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                          I still dont understand why people want the original back? If your comparing both aspects of this ride (even if your not a Star Wars fan) the Hyperspace overlay is way more entertaining and puts in the midst of an actual space battle. Now as we all know the original verison of the ride has been gone for some time now, but I dont understand how riding around in the dark with just stars and a big orange moon or sun is a better experience?
                          Almost every indoors theme park ride occurs in the dark, from Indiana Jones to the indoors segments of Splash Mountain to the dark rides of Fantasyland. Light control plays a very important part in ride design.

                          Space Mountain in particular is a strong example of this because, through it's COMPLETE absence of light, it removes any form of reference point for the extreme motion you're experiencing. The ride only has a top speed of somewhere between 20-30 MPH. You've probably rode bikes faster than that in your life. But because your brain can't see ANYTHING and has no tools through which to judge how fast it's moving, only that it IS moving fast, it creates an illusion of a much higher speed than it really is.

                          Hyperspace Mountain removes this by creating VERY bright reference points through it's projection screens, many of which create a small gray rectangle of light pollution before the X-wing or TIE Fighter or what have you it's supposed to show even activates. Not only does it break the illusion that's the core concept of the ride's design, but it does so with janky, immersion breaking technology. One particular instance of this that stands out to me is the TIE fighter that swoops directly at you right before you duck underneath it. The triangle-shaped screen it's projected on is very clearly visible the moment you round the corner, and makes you wonder "Oh, a screen. I wonder what's going to show on that?"

                          Which is something I should never be asking myself during what's supposed to be a space dogfight.

                          TL;DR: Space Mountain is a ride that was designed to be dark, and they stuck a bunch of unnecessarily bright projectors in it, and they're visibly cheap projectors to boot.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I love both versions, but I'm a Star Wars geek at heart, and riding Space Mountain (set to the exact track I said for years would go really well w/ the ride) converted to the beginning of the Battle of Jakku, was awesome. My wife actually said it's her favorite version of the ride because of the added effects.
                            "Have I gone mad?"
                            "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I expected Season of the Force to be toned down with the announcement of Summer of Heroes, but I'm glad the return of OG Space Mountain is confirmed. Hyperspace disappointed me the first few times, although I did enjoy my most recent ride on it. My problem wasn't the projections, which I actually kind of liked at some parts, so much as the score, which I don't think added to the experience as much as the regular one, and the fact that you launch into Hyperdrive in the tunnel, but instead of speeding up, you veeeeeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyy slooooooooooowwwwwwwwlyyyyyyyyy make the climb up the lift hill with the Hyperspace effect projected around you. Never thought that added up, especially given how it worked on Star Tours.
                              Warriors, Giants, Sharks, Texans fan from the Bay Area.
                              Annual visitor to Disneyland ('99, '04-08, '11-present)
                              So so hyphy.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X