Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

Space Mountain's coming back!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be technical, when people say "original" Space Mountain, there is no soundtrack.

Comment

As much as I love Star Wars, the overlay seemed to be in bad shape last time I rode it a month ago. I believe some projections just stopped working entirely.

Happy the classic will be back, but with that said when The Last Jedi opens, wouldn't they bring back the overlay?

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post

Wait, then why is Blue Squadron there? They all died in Rogue One.
        Hasn't it been, like, 30 years between those movies? I'm sure that they can recycle those colors again.

Comment

Originally posted by tands4 View Post
          Darn I was hoping to ride it at least once, we're going to be there on 31st, nothing on the calendar indicates space mountain is going to be closed so hopefully I can get a ride in. Can they change the overlay that fast overnight?
          I just posted this over in the refurbishment schedule thread but it looks like Space will be down for two day prior. So Hyperspace last day is the 29th and Space reopens the 1st of June.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

The story is that you're defending Jakku against Imperial forces. You're a rebel pilot in the middle of the dogfight. It's fast moving because that's what combat piloting is. It's not like Pirates where you're a third party bystander watching the show unfold before you. In Hyperspace Mountain you're a character in the story.
            "Admiral Gial Ackbar sends out a brief holo-transmission to a group of reconnaissance pilots to investigate an Imperial Star Destroyer in orbit around Jakku. He also announces the Blue 77 Squadron will provide support for the mission.

After boarding the reconnaissance vehicle (played by Space Mountain's sled-like rocket vehicles), the recon team and Blue Squadron make a jump through hyperspace. Upon arrival at Jakku, a group of TIES ambushes the team almost immediately. The recon vehicle ducks and weaves its way through the dogfight and assorted laser-fire from either side. With the TIE squadron destroyed, Blue Squadron is able to make a critical destructive hit on the Star Destroyer's bridge area and make a quick jump through hyperspace back to the base."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace_Mountain
            "Have I gone mad?"
            "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Happy the classic "SPACE MOUNTAIN" will be back!

Would like to see,Disney to clean , the out side of mountain,
              from TACKY Dirty Grey , to Bright WHITE again !
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                I still dont understand why people want the original back? If your comparing both aspects of this ride (even if your not a Star Wars fan) the Hyperspace overlay is way more entertaining and puts in the midst of an actual space battle. Now as we all know the original verison of the ride has been gone for some time now, but I dont understand how riding around in the dark with just stars and a big orange moon or sun is a better experience?
                I'm with you. I like the original space mountain, but the overlay is better in that is has a story that you follow along with while you ride. I don't see why so many people think it's classic just to ride around in the dark. To each his/her own I guess, but I thought people generally want more story and theming - not less. Seems to me like there is a touch of "Disney Museum" sentiment in people's reactions to hyperspace.

As Professor Tango points out, hyperspace would be even better if it were designed to integrate projections and theming into the entire ride (including the queue area - it bugs me that it's not star wars themed during the overlay). So here's how I see it:

1. Orignal space mountain - really cool
                2. Hyperspace overlay - even cooler
                3. Brand new star wars indoor coaster with built in projections and theming - would be amazing

I'm not holding my breath for option 3, so I'm sad to see option 2 go away.

Comment

I'm happy the OG is coming back, but I would love to see Hyperspace come back around the Holidays. I absolutely LOVED Hyperspace Mountain when it opened - still do. But I prefer a bit of variety. It'd be nice if it was the OG from Jan-Sept, then Ghost Galaxy (which I think is pretty meh) during Halloween and wrap up the year with Hyperspace. Might be a good win-win for everyone.

With that said, the projections in both Ghost Galaxy and Hyperspace have always been rather sub-par in my book. I think what gets me jazzed is the "jump to light speed" along with the Star Wars music pumping through the system. For years, I told my wife that this would make for a perfect Star Wars overlay with the initial tunnel being a light speed jump into the ride. When it actually happened, pretty verbatim to what I envisioned, I was on cloud nine - couldn't be happier. BUT, I understand that Star Wars isn't for everyone so maybe switching everything up between the OG and two overlays is a great compromise.

Can't wait to go check out the original again - it's been too long :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post

I'm with you. I like the original space mountain, but the overlay is better in that is has a story that you follow along with while you ride. I don't see why so many people think it's classic just to ride around in the dark. To each his/her own I guess, but I thought people generally want more story and theming - not less. Seems to me like there is a touch of "Disney Museum" sentiment in people's reactions to hyperspace.

As Professor Tango points out, hyperspace would be even better if it were designed to integrate projections and theming into the entire ride (including the queue area - it bugs me that it's not star wars themed during the overlay). So here's how I see it:

1. Orignal space mountain - really cool
                    2. Hyperspace overlay - even cooler
                    3. Brand new star wars indoor coaster with built in projections and theming - would be amazing

I'm not holding my breath for option 3, so I'm sad to see option 2 go away.

Hyperspace Mountain very cool

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
                      Just to be technical, when people say "original" Space Mountain, there is no soundtrack.
                      Beat me too it.

And OG Space had projections and "light pollution". The added light came from said projections that lit up sections of track well into the course as faint light reflects from the ceiling (a flash on the track and/or silhouette of track), the lighted sphere before lift 3, and very old school disco-ball tech that were never hidden as well as the refractive/reflection technology of Space '05. There was also the glow strips that were quite a distraction or thrill depending on your personal tastes.

Space '05 is superior to Space '77 imo. And as much as I adored HSM, I sorely miss the Michael Giaccino (sp?) soundtrack.
                      As part of a Public Service Announcement...
                      Guardians Of The Galaxy
                      Mission: Breakout
                      ...is abbreviated like this
                      GOTG M:B
                      The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
                      That is all. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

Space '05 is superior to Space '77 imo. And as much as I adored HSM, I sorely miss the Michael Giaccino (sp?) soundtrack.
                        Wow I had no idea he did the music. It's kind of funny, I guess. He did the music for Space Mountain. Then Space Mountain got a Star Wars overlay with Blue Squadron. He then composed for Rogue One which features Blue Squadron.

Comment

Wow I had no idea he did the music. It'd kind of funny, I guess. He did the music for Space Mountain. Then Space Mountain got a Star Wars overlay with Blue Squadron. He then composed for Rogue One which features Blue Squadron.
                          Circle of liiiffffe... ♫♬♪

ETA: it's this music that sends it over the top imo. I started to appreciate his genius with Space '05.
                          As part of a Public Service Announcement...
                          Guardians Of The Galaxy
                          Mission: Breakout
                          ...is abbreviated like this
                          GOTG M:B
                          The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
                          That is all. 😉

Comment

I'm late to this discussion, but I'm glad it's losing the Hyperspace Overlay for the same reasons as many have said here... the projections weren't quite there yet. They stretch and bend where they're not supposed to. The square of where things show up is too obvious, and there's too much light in the ride compared to the '05 update. The tie fighter blasting at you was a cheap and poorly executed effect.

Additionally, the hyperspace effect in the lift section didn't work for me as you're supposed to be moving fast, yet it feels so slow unlike Star Tours.

Less is more in this attraction.

Comment

Wow I had no idea he did the music. It's kind of funny, I guess. He did the music for Space Mountain. Then Space Mountain got a Star Wars overlay with Blue Squadron. He then composed for Rogue One which features Blue Squadron.
                              Check out Michael Giacchino's wikipedia page. He has an incredible body of work.

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                                I still dont understand why people want the original back? If your comparing both aspects of this ride (even if your not a Star Wars fan) the Hyperspace overlay is way more entertaining and puts in the midst of an actual space battle. Now as we all know the original verison of the ride has been gone for some time now, but I dont understand how riding around in the dark with just stars and a big orange moon or sun is a better experience?
                                I wouldn't mind hyperspace as much if the stars weren't dimmed for the projections, and if the projections actually looked decent. ATM they just look kind of cheap to me (and it's understandable considering how late of a decision it apparently was to do Hyperspace Mtn, but it's not great for a permanent version)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X