Space Mountain's coming back!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GameNBurger View Post

Interesting, so a sort of gloomy alternate world space mountain that's more foreboding than smiles... I can see the angle now. Let me ask it this way, would you still enjoy it if it switched over to ghost galaxy for a year?
    I think about half that amount of time is my limit. Variety and change is a good thing. Space Mountain is a classic and I feel it deserves it's place and I don't mind that occasional switch up. I was fine with Hyperspace for a short time but I felt it dragged out. Plus, I couldn't stand that in many instances you could clearly see track. It's supposed to be dark.

Comment

Didn't the original Space mountain actually have lots of light inside? It was never totally dark since the structure had windows into the queue. I remember the thrill and excitement of people in the queue when they saw the cars on the track flying by the windows and only the green/yellow stripe of the cars visible from the cars higher up inside the mountain

Comment

I prefer the Original Space Mtn, however my second favorite would have to be Rockin' Space Mtn...something about Higher Ground, those speakers behind your head and zipping through the dark was AWESOME!

Comment

I think this is well overdue. I wonder though how the lines will be once they change it seems season really packs in the crowds where as traditional SM classic has lesser lines. I would love for them to open up the queue window and put back the glow strips and Dick Dale.
          Last edited by Blackness; 04-24-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The projections aren't the reason why I like the two different versions of Space Mtn. It's all about the music. And it's not about whether I like each variations music just purely based on how it's sounds. It's all about the timing. On the turns, the drops etc. For example my favorite part of any of the Space Mtns. is on GG towards the end. Right after the projection that moves with you there's a slight drop and turn, the music picks up and I swear the ride feels like it gets a speed boost. It's similar on hyperspace but not to the same extent. I can't remember how the Originals if the music is synced perfectly with turns and drops. I know the one big sudden drop in the middle of the ride does it and that's cool.

Comment

I really like the lasers. Star Wars, not so much. It may sound ridiculous, but not all of us like Star Wars
              It not that I , dis-like Star Wars..........It's the way Disney does OVER-KILL.....mostly for Advertising in the parks
              Last edited by Eagleman; 04-22-2017, 08:18 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

* * SPACE MOUNTAIN * *is a Classic!

I wish Disney would WASH the Exterior of Space Mountain - Dirty Gray- and make it White Again......
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Eh, can't wait till they bring the hyperspace theme back.

Comment

The original Space Mountain is going to be back, baby! I miss the classic iconic attraction and I can't wait to ride through space again.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                    Save
                    Sav

Comment

Originally posted by Kaimanahoolaulea View Post
                      Eh, can't wait till they bring the hyperspace theme back.
                      Will nothing quench a Star Wars' fan thirst for more Star Wars? Is Star Tours not enough? Is Star Wars land not enough? Must we overlay every attraction with Star Wars?

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
                        Will nothing quench a Star Wars' fan thirst for more Star Wars? Is Star Tours not enough? Is Star Wars land not enough? Must we overlay every attraction with Star Wars?
                        Disney's answers to those four questions are no, no, no; and if not it won't be for lack of trying. Long before SWL's opening, Disney's consumer brand marketing machine will shift into high gear, hyping Star Wars and Marvel via every form of advertisement possible. Every customer, no matter where they are on DLR property, will be subjected to inescapable brand promotion.
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                        until Thor told it to me."
                        -
                        Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post

I'll be that guy and say I wish if any theme they could have picked to overlay their parks with I wish it was Star Trek instead. At least Star Trek for Tomorrowland and then the separate SWL by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Disney's answers to those four questions are no, no, no; and if not it won't be for lack of trying. Long before SWL's opening, Disney's consumer brand marketing machine will shift into high gear, hyping Star Wars and Marvel via every form of advertisement possible. Every customer, no matter where they are on DLR property, will be subjected to inescapable brand promotion.

The Guess pay for Admission to the parks .....and in return Disney ,
                            do a -"" In Your Face Advertisement""......""Over Kill""...... ""Inescapable Brand Promotion""!

ENOUGH is not ENOUGH, with Disney Marketing ,with Bob Chapek, formerly president of Disney Consumer Products......
                            ........Now chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.............
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

You would run it more for the art or spirit of it?

How would that work since it's a publicly traded company?

Comment

Originally posted by AmyandLucy View Post

Well seeing as Disney has been on the New York Stock Exchange since 1957 and Walt Disney ran Disneyland and made motion pictures for the art of it, I think it'll be fine.

Comment

No offense, your question is based on a false dichotomy (a.k.a. the "false dilemma" logical fallacy). The issue is not a simplistic either-or choice, rather a matter of the Company honestly and accurately defining what is the product it sells and the manner in which it sells it post-Eisner, as opposed to pre-Eisner.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                  until Thor told it to me."
                                  -
                                  Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Disneyland, after all, was built by a man who was going against the grain of the market bandwagon at the time, and was doing something that would push the envelope rather than follow in the footsteps of whatever was the latest craze. All his investors thought he was crazy, and he ended up essentially turning theme parks as a whole from a roadside oddity into an actual industry.

So yes, it is a tad disappointing when the people in charge of the park forget where they came from.

If you'd like numbers, however, we can always look at PGAV Destination's Voice of the Visitor Report. Less than half of the theme park industry's patrons are families with children under 18, and just about exactly half are young millennials looking to get their fandom on.

You've probably noticed it in the parks yourself, as well: Walking around, More and more often, less and less of the crowd is composed of 30-40 year old parents pushing strollers, and more and more are young adults in their teens and 20's having a day out with their friends.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to speak for the entirety of those millenials, but as someone who is a young millenial who's spent perhaps a bit more time than I'm proud of down in the deepest, darkest trenches of modern fandom culture and the black pits of tumblr, I think I can at least speak for a significant fraction of theme-park going millenials when I say this:
                                    • We hate to admit it, but we are absolutely nostalgia-driven. #tru90skids, the lot of us. We love being able to revisit childhood obsessions and re-examine them through an adult lens.
                                    • We HATE. HATE HATE HATE the exploitation of art and media for consumerist gain. We get it. Artists gotta put bread on the table somehow. A lot of us are artists and writers and content-producers in some shape or form, and the millenial's economic struggle is something people can write entire books about. At the same time, however, many of us have a strong belief that the media and storytelling world should be driven by the merit of their craft, and that artistic vision being compromised by market trends and number-crunching result in sub-par products (See: The Avatar: The Last Airbender film, as one example out of MANY). If we wanted to look at excel spreadsheets all day, we would have been one of those smart kids who took up a career in a STEM-oriented field. Keep that garbage out of our pretty colors and fancy words. (Side note: STEM kids are great and I love you guys. Please help me calibrate my 3D printer I can't figure out how to level the bed properly)
                                    • Building off of the above point: Exploitation of Fandom for consumerist gain also tends to be a bit dirty. Again, see the Avatar film as an example. For better or worse (I got the heck out of tumblr culture for a reason, but... Another story for another time), kids my age build communities off of shared interests in the media we consume, and we EXTREMELY dislike when people who do not understand try to force their way in with no greater motive than to make a quick buck.
                                    • Finally, as a whole: Despite the phenomena of "fandom" seeming to suggest otherwise, millenials are wildly disenfranchised with consumerist culture. Again, has to do a lot with a bunch of socio-economic stuff that ultimately adds up to "Millenials are mostly broke college students who look up to people who made money in the traditionally not-a-goldmine industry of content creation." Good ol' Walt is, by far, the biggest of those idols, going from bankrupting at least a couple different cartoon studios in The Middle of Nowhere, Missouri to becoming the largest Media-producing giant on the face of the planet out of sheer bull-headedness and believing in his own artistic merit and his understanding of his audience when everyone else told him he was an idiot. Yes, Walt was also a shrewd businessman who finally figured out how to make a buck when he came to LA, but he definitely wasn't a traditional businessman making traditional decisions in any shape or form. That's the Disney we all idolize and who's legacy (As grossly cult-of-personality as that sounds) we come to see when we go to the parks, not... Whatever the heck Bob Iger is doing.
                                    So, Too Long, Didn't Read: Gross, pimply young people who spend all day looking at their phones consist of 50% of Disney's audience, and they already get enough advertisements for Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy fed to them by Google Ad Sense. We like to come to Disneyland because it's a place to get away from that garbage, and we end up with our faces stuck in our phones anyway because we finally get here and it's more of the same. (Also, because it makes the older folks here angry and that's hilarious.) Perhaps it's stuck-up and entitled to think that Disneyland should suddenly bend to our will just because our demographic essentially flash-mobbed it in the past 5-10 years (And, after all, isn't "Stuck-up and entitled" the millenial's reputation?), but... A lot of those folks ARE coming here for "The art and spirit" of it, and all they're getting in return is construction photos of bulldozers flattening the art and spirit out of the park for the next big cross-promotional brand deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackness View Post
                                      I think this is well overdue. I wonder though how the lines will be once they change it seems season really packs in the crowds where as traditional SM classic has lesser lines. I would love for then to open up the queu window and put back the glow strips and Dick Dale.
                                      To be fair, the last few weekends have looked like classic space mountain lines, plateauing at 50-60 on average.

I hope disney makes up for the less presence of Star Wars by adding a new segment to star tours from the anybof the new movies. That sort of modularity and variety makes me drool, even if the chronology makes no sense (since it never did anyways).

Comment

To be fair, the last few weekends have looked like classic space mountain lines, plateauing at 50-60 on average.

I hope disney makes up for the less presence of Star Wars by adding a new segment to star tours from the anybof the new movies. That sort of modularity and variety makes me drool, even if the chronology makes no sense (since it never did anyways).
                                        Crait, the red dust planet from The Last Jedi trailer, has been confirmed for Star Tours later this year.

Comment

It's great to finally be able to hear the classic soundtrack again! I loved Hyperspace Mountain but I really do miss the original ride.

I don't see Hyperspace Mountain being gone permanently, though. It will probably end up being a seasonal event (much like Ghost Galaxy) to promote future films.

Comment

Working...
                                          X