Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

Star Wars Land - Opening May 24th 2019?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Star Wars Land - Opening May 24th 2019?

Disney has confirmed today that the release date of Star Wars Episode 9 has been brought forward and will open May 24th 2019. This has surprised fans and is a break from the norm with episodes 7 and 8 opening Christmas 2015 and 2017 respectively.

Calling it now - this has been done to coincide with an early summer opening of the Star Wars Lands at WDW and DLR on that same day, or at least within the same week. Both of those events will hype-feed each other for a summer of Star Wars like no other.

I think you may have something there!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I can see that happening. I kind of though the same thing when I saw the release date for the next movie.

Comment

I think the timing of both is strategic, but I'd be surprised if they wanted to launch them both on the same day.

My guess is they want to open SWL in June, once grad nights are over and peak summer season has started. Having the movie premier a couple of weeks earlier will still feed the marketing hype for both, but without any cannibalizing.

Comment

Star Wars: A New Hope released May 25, 1977

Comment

Originally posted by stevenz View Post
            Disney has confirmed today that the release date of Star Wars Episode 9 has been brought forward and will open May 24th 2019. This has surprised fans and is a break from the norm with episodes 7 and 8 opening Christmas 2015 and 2017 respectively.

Calling it now - this has been done to coincide with an early summer opening of the Star Wars Lands at WDW and DLR on that same day, or at least within the same week. Both of those events will hype-feed each other for a summer of Star Wars like no other.
            I think it would be a mistake if they did them both at the same time. The land is going to be popular regardless of the movie, and vise versa. They don't need to drum up anticipation and hype. They would be better served by staggering these events to keep a sustained level of interest over a longer period of time.

Comment

Disney may have a tentative date for the opening of Star Wars land (whatever it is named). But I'm sure they know it is WAAAAAAAAAY too early to predict an exact date when the new land will be ready (including testing).

Comment

I've suspected they will try their best to make SWL open in conjunction with Episode VIII for a while now. Ever since the announcement of the release date, I've felt like it would be silly to not do this. It's the perfect marketing opportunity for a "Summer of Star Wars."

Comment

I think DISNEY.......would like the New Land Open by Next Year.........
                  Nor-matter if with conjunction or not ,of another Star War Movie.
                  It's Money Lost ,when the area is not open !
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This has been my guess since they announced star wars in the parks. It makes may 2019 epic for their bonuses!
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

So far, the official word on the opening for SWL is 'Summer of 2019'. I personally hope that they use every bit of available time, during that summer, to get everything in SWL just right. I'd rather see it open with every detail completely obsessed over, looking great and working perfectly, than things getting rushed so that the land can be opened a month or two earlier.
                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I don't think Disney wants them on the same day. You want to spread your publicity. Star Wars will get enough publicity when the movie comes out. Plus, you don't want fans to have to choose between the two. I can see Star Wars land opening either earlier or closer to June and July. Also, don't forget that this is a little over two years away. Delays and other issues can occur between this time May 2019.

Comment

How about on May the Fourth?

Comment

Originally posted by stevenz View Post
                            Disney has confirmed today that the release date of Star Wars Episode 9 has been brought forward and will open May 24th 2019. ... Calling it now - this has been done to coincide with an early summer opening of the Star Wars Lands at WDW and DLR on that same day, or at least within the same week.
                            Not to be a bubble burster, but I can't imagine P&R/WDI committing to an opening date 2 years out, and considering that the movie and lands are all going to do insane business, there's no way the studio would be pushed to rearrange their slate (and likely #1 movie of the year) just for theme park synergy.

The entertainment press has also pointed out that Disney wouldn't want to compete with itself by releasing two major blockbuster releases over the "holiday" 2019 window. Frozen 2 comes out 11/27/19 (the day after Thanksgiving), and you don't want Star Wars to cut off its inevitable longevity and success. If you're going to move one, Star Wars makes more sense, as you want to a) release Frozen 2 in winter, and b) not release Frozen 2 just 3 weeks before Toy Story 4 comes out.

Of course, the new Star Wars May date is only 3 weeks after Avengers 4 comes out, which is sort of the same problem, but I suppose people are likelier to make several trips to the movies in summer (and perhaps we'll soon learn Avengers is being delayed).

The key takeaway: 2019 is a stacked year for Disney's movie slate.

Comment

That would be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only imagine how many people would go see Episode 9 at DTD and then go to SWL after that. The ultimate SW weekend. That said I agree with others, it may be the case but I don't think anything is written in stone. THAT said though a lot of people were also convinced it was going to open in 2018 meaning that maybe they pushed it back to give themselves more time to do it right and to combine with that opening.

Its going to be interesting but if thats true I can see Disney pulling out all the stops for it. Some swanky package deal for people who stay at their hotels early admission to the land that day and maybe even movie tickets at AMC. IF its that weekend.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X