Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I vote that the uneven ground textures be returned to their original flattened state

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I vote that the uneven ground textures be returned to their original flattened state

I vote that the uneven ground textures be returned to their original flattened state and heres why!

As a wheelchair bound disabled person with a problem that could be worsened by being jarred I find the uneven sufaces, which are the worst in and around the "NEW" Tomorrowland not only a threat to my health but extremely unpleasant!

Even a wheelchair with shock absorbers bounces and jiggles violently jarring the person and there are many with critical problems that jarring could injure!

I know all of you non wheelchair people dont even realize this but its a nightmare for me and others! I have to move so slowly in these areas that it causes traffic jams or I try an find ways around them or avoid the areas and miss out on things!

Bring back the old smooth flat surfaces that disney put in place, paint them in they like to look more interesting.

I have even seen the tiled areas (in tomorrowland again) have loose or tiles that are above the surface of the others causing a tripping hazard for walkers. I believe these surfaces are more dangerous to walkers than smooth flat ones...

The chopped up ground surface that is also new can be found in the fantasyland land area by the Matterhorn and the Adventurland area too.

PLease Disney get rid of these horrible bumpy surfaces it HURTZ and could cause injury to people with health problems we have hard enough as it is with not being able to ride most rides we want to enjoy Disneyland without unnecessary pain and risk!!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Re: I vote that the uneven ground textures be returned to their original flattened st

Please. Leave it to the lawyers to take care of that.

The plain concrete paths in DCA are very smooth for your enjoyment.

Comment

Re: I vote that the uneven ground textures be returned to their original flattened st

Personally, I like the textures, it adds more to the theming of each area. Sorry that it's an inconvenience for you, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
        Personally, I like the textures, it adds more to the theming of each area. Sorry that it's an inconvenience for you, though.
        try being in a wheelchair on them you will change your opinion 180 degrees

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Comment

i would rather realistically painted flat concrete than poorly themed asphalt, myself.
          and i have noticed those loose brick tiles outside the star trader, i'm always wobbling on them. i suppose it could be worse, but i wish they'd fix at least the stuff that's broken (like the tiles)
          "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post
            Please. Leave it to the lawyers to take care of that.

The plain concrete paths in DCA are very smooth for your enjoyment.
            So your saying they should wait till someone gets seriously hurt and sues them costing them many more times than it would to just address the issue?

Even worse it could cause aggravation to injuries that dont even show up in the short term but might later on even much later on.....

And that I should limit my freedom by NOT even going to Disneyland but just go to DCA only???

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GothicManor View Post
              So your saying they should wait till someone gets seriously hurt and sues them costing them many more times than it would to just address the issue?
              The paths as they are, Tomorrowland's included, have all been that way for a decade at least. Millions upon millions of guests that have used them so far seem to be doing alright.

Even worse it could cause aggravation to injuries that dont even show up in the short term but might later on even much later on.....
              If your wheelchair is that sensitive to Disneyland's textured ground, how do you maneuver past cracks in the sidewalk?

And that I should limit my freedom by NOT even going to Disneyland but just go to DCA only???
              Oh, my bad. I forgot how much people hate DCA.

Comment

Not to say your claim isn't true, but this is the first time I've heard of such a complaint.

I would imagine that, if it really is a problem, Disney would be getting plenty of complaints about it at City Hall. The re-paving of the lands took place in the 90s, I believe. Wouldn't Disney have tried to remedy the problem by now if it really was a big issue in terms of guest safety and health?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post
                  The paths as they are, Tomorrowland's included, have all been that way for a decade at least. Millions upon millions of guests that have used them so far seem to be doing alright.

If your wheelchair is that sensitive to Disneyland's textured ground, how do you maneuver past cracks in the sidewalk?

Oh, my bad. I forgot how much people hate DCA.
                  Mostly because they wont spend the money thats why its been there for so many years.

You are all aware of course the Disneyland and all parks DO NOT REPORT OR NEED TO REPORT any injuries on record to the public?! Only fatalities so no one knows how many injuries from what occur!

cracks arent a problem if you had thought about it they are small indented and only one very 3 or more feet thats a huge difference from uneven even random surfaces that are bumpy every few inches and these are raised bumbs sometimes quite high huge difference I honestly dont see how someone could even comment on the effect of the surface unless they HAVE actually ridden on them ina wheelchair and on top of that have some sort of bone injury..

sigpic

Comment

I honestly dont see how someone could even comment on the effect of the surface unless they HAVE actually ridden on them ina wheelchair and on top of that have some sort of bone injury..
                    Well then, since none of the rest of us ride in a wheelchair and have some sort of bone injury, I guess no one can post.

Comment

I've been bothered by the ground at DL from time to time. Certainly not enough to negatively impact my day, but I can imagine that if I were wheelchair-bound, it could be problematic. I think you're exaggerating about the injuries and long-term damage and such, but this could at least be a bit uncomfortable.

DL's ground does go up and down quite a bit, both on the large scale and on the small scale. I paid extra attention to this last time I was there, since I need to understand the medium- and large-scale changes in order for me to create them in my model. A lot of this is intentional texturing to deepen the thematic differences between the lands, but some of it isn't all that effective, IMO. There are areas where the ground randomly rises or dips for a few feet, or where the texture becomes more distracting than anything else.

One of the things that strikes me about both the '98 Tomorrowland and the sprucing up of the resort when DCA was built is the wasted extravagance of the ground tiling in some areas. Look at this area of the esplanade, or at the swirly designs of Tomorrowland. I've never noticed either of these while I was in the park. Maybe I'm unusual in that regard, but I consider myself a fairly observant person, and I don't think stuff like this really impacts most guests' experiences at all. It looks great in the concept art from the air, but it's barely noticeable when it's crawling with guests and your eyes are a mere five or six feet above it.

Originally posted by GothicManor
                      I honestly dont see how someone could even comment on the effect of the surface unless they HAVE actually ridden on them ina wheelchair and on top of that have some sort of bone injury..
                      In that case, I'm sorry we've posted in your thread. Obviously, your intention was just for us to read your post, accept it all without a single doubt, and move on without replying.

Comment

You certainly wouldn't like Dland Paris. Main Street is nothing but "paved" in bricks!

I was in a wheelchair a few days this past October and it was bumpy where you mentioned, at least I noticed it, but didn't let it bother me because I wasn't really staying in the Tomorrowland area riding back and forth on the walkways. And I'm sure it was made worse for me because I was in a rented DLR chair, which has to be the bottom of the rung where chairs are concerned.

Think about how much of Dland IS paved smoothly. Quite a bit actually.

Comment

I'm all for keeping things as they are. Even if it's not always noticed, Disney has always been in the details. I don't believe the problem to be as prolific as you make it out to be. I do not mean to be insensitive, however, it would be an enormous waste to reverse the payment back in order to accommodate a select few. Other parks use the painted asphalt look,and in my opinion, it gives a very tacky cheap look. Take a look at Six Flags.

Comment

My wife had to use a wheelchair during two of our trips to the Resort in the recent past, and I know what the OP is referring to.

Yes, the bumpy pathway can be annoying. Our solution to them was to either slow down or take another route.

Actually, a third solution was to look for a smooth (non-stamped) section of the walkway in the same area. I do recall some sections had a smooth pathway near the outer edges of the pathway.

For us, it was a temporary thing. A minor inconvenience during our stay.

The folks that have to rely on a chair full-time, might not take it as a "minor inconvenience"...

:crazylegs

Comment

All of Disneyland used to have smooth ground surfaces every inch! this was so for about 30 years in every area and did just fine.

As a former artist I appreciate the themeing of the ground but it could have been done with painted or poured materials and even very slight surfacing.

I dont blame them for doing it its understandable that no one involved knew that this migh hurt people, but now its time to rethink the rough bumpy ground.

sigpic

Comment

But those brick paved main streets are so pretty

Comment

I vote that the uneven ground textures be returned to their original flattened state
                                  I vote no. I like them the way they are.

And in advance, I do not want the Treehouse removed because it is not wheelchair accessible either.

Comment

they can change the next time they redo an area ....... no extra cost

no you cant know what its like when you have bone crunching sounds in your neck and base of your skull when you roll over ever bump and you have to say to yourself "I hope I can just make it past this to the smooth surface ahead without getting hurt" to reach your destination...

im sure no one realizes this

Im just saying for the small price to pay for aesthetics we can go back to something more smooth like it was for most of the history of Disneyland.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rgrant999 View Post
                                      I vote no. I like them the way they are.

And in advance, I do not want the Treehouse removed because it is not wheelchair accessible either.
                                      you dont NEED to climb the treehouse to get around disneyland that is a irresponsible statement I just hope you never find yourself disabled in a wheelchair.

I accept that I cannot get places like the treehouse I have to rely on my younger memories of what it was like before my disability.

I also miss Indiana jones I sometimes ask permission to go thru the regular line in my chair just see the interiors again and then leave before the car entry.

sigpic

Comment

Well if your endangering your health by rolling over uneven paths maybe you shouldnt be taking those paths i mean the crunching of bone can lead to very serious conditions

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X