Anything happening with Eastern Gateway?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Omegadiz
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2010

[Question] Anything happening with Eastern Gateway?

Its been a while since I've seen or heard any news in regards to Disneyland's eastern gateway transportation hub project. Last I heard, hotels and businesses were upset because they thought that their gravy train would end. Does anyone know if there have been new plans or is those companies are trying to work with, or slay Disney on this issue? I'd Imagine that it wouldnt have been hard so suggest that the hotels just add an East facing entrance into the new area to allow their guest to go through security. I figure, the parking garage can still be completed without any real issue but have there been updates since?
  • Macro
    Thinking about doughnuts
    • Nov 2008

Nothing's happening on construction at the moment. The plan hasn't been approved yet. It's listed in Anaheim Resort documents as "Application submitted". It hasn't been on the Anaheim planning commission agenda in quite a while. Depending on who you believe either Disney is the problem or it's the Anaheim mayor and city council playing politics. Whichever side you blame the project isn't going anywhere for now.

You'll have to ask construction people about whether they can get it done before Star Wars Land opens in early 2019. Hopefully they still can. It'll be a hell of a mess if they don't. Parking sucks now. Imagine what will happen if they add Star Wars Land with no new parking. Yikes!

Comment

• Figment56
      Armchair Imagineer
      • Mar 2015

If it's not done in time we should just park at city hall and take a public bus to the park...

Comment

• TP2000
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Omegadiz View Post
        Its been a while since I've seen or heard any news in regards to Disneyland's eastern gateway transportation hub project. Last I heard, hotels and businesses were upset because they thought that their gravy train would end. Does anyone know if there have been new plans or is those companies are trying to work with, or slay Disney on this issue? I'd Imagine that it wouldnt have been hard so suggest that the hotels just add an East facing entrance into the new area to allow their guest to go through security. I figure, the parking garage can still be completed without any real issue but have there been updates since?
        You should re-read the last big Miceage Update again. It was all about that exact topic. http://micechat.com/159148-miceage-d...dule-struggle/

Comment

• toonaspie
          Nutty about Disney parks
          • Aug 2006

It sounds like they're not gonna resolve this issue in time or at all. 2019 isnt gonna look pretty for the resort. If it were up to me i would just build the parking garage and just provide buses to take people to the currently existing dropoff from there.

Comment

• Omegadiz
            MiceChatter
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by TP2000 View Post

You should re-read the last big Miceage Update again. It was all about that exact topic. http://micechat.com/159148-miceage-d...dule-struggle/
            Oh, sorry. I hadn't seen that.

In terms of the opposition, I don't really understand the worry. Do the hotels think that no one will stay in them? It's not like the parks that all of their guest come for are moving away. And the restaurants are still cheaper and right outside of those hotels. They are just assuming that because it takes 2 more minutes to get to security it's all over.

Comment

• disneychrista
              See Ya Real Soon!
              • Feb 2005

I find it odd that no one is thinking about the guests staying at this hotels, visiting these restaurants, etc. Those staying at these hotels who will now have the extra added time/walking to get to / from Disneyland or Downtown Disney. This may even come to back fire when people don't spend their first night at DTD but choose to go elsewhere because of the extra added inconvenience.
              There really should be an option for those staying at those hotels to be able to enter from the street, not just the over crossing.

Comment

• theatremouse
                MiceChatter
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post
                There really should be an option for those staying at those hotels to be able to enter from the street, not just the over crossing.
                That would require an additional set of security screening at the street level on that side, which is what they're trying to get rid of.

Comment

• Omegadiz
                  MiceChatter
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post
                  I find it odd that no one is thinking about the guests staying at this hotels, visiting these restaurants, etc. Those staying at these hotels who will now have the extra added time/walking to get to / from Disneyland or Downtown Disney. This may even come to back fire when people don't spend their first night at DTD but choose to go elsewhere because of the extra added inconvenience.
                  I feel as though, even if Disney doesnt amend the plans to allow those hotels to just have an entrance to the back walkway, as it stands, how much of an inconvenience is it really? If a guest wanted to watch a movie at the AMC after leaving the park, they'd opt against it because of a 3 minute extra walk? or McDonalds,which is lightyears cheaper than park food is going to suffer becuase people would rather pay 3 times as much than to walk for that same amount of time? It seems like the complaints are just off

Comment

• Bald Mtn Rider
                    MiceChatter
                    • Mar 2015

When they announced the Eastern gateway they said the pedestrian entrance would remain. I don't think anyone had officially said it would be closed. If I had my guess, the entrance will remain but the crosswalk would be removed forcing people to either cross at W Disney Way or Katella.

In regards to off resort food. When security was on the esplanade, getting food at DTD or somewhere else off resort meant having to reenter security after. Now with DTD inside security leaving DLR is even less likely.

Comment

• disneychrista
                      See Ya Real Soon!
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by theatremouse View Post

That would require an additional set of security screening at the street level on that side, which is what they're trying to get rid of.
                      Okay...they have already added security at DTD, I see no issues with an additional security screening for street level entrance.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DisneyPilot View Post

Sorry, that is a very pie in the sky answer to an immediate problem. While an efficient and practical mass public transportation system is the dream of many reality is that in its current state and fragmented interconnectivity, it is very inefficient system in the USA...CA especially...coupled on top of that California being a VERY car-centric culture that is engraved in society...one theme park is not gonna be able to change society and an entire infrastructure system to solve an immediate and imminent problem.

From a purely capitalistic approach, parking is revenue for the Disney Corporation...why would/should they invest in a mass transit system that not only is no financial gain per attendee but takes away that revenue stream for the same investment into a parking garage?
                        Actually, what's impractical is accommodating hundreds of thousands of visitors every day who are arriving in cars that each have to be stored motionless for a dozen hours or more.
                        Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-26-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• RobertaME
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                          Land is at a premium, so Disney should be doing everything the company can to start bringing more people onto the property by train.

Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai all have robust rail connections, and Disney should be working with Metrolink, Amtrak, and the O.C.T.A., as well as the City, to develop the market for the same here.
                          The U.S., especially Southern California, are too much in love with the independence and status of cars to go mass transit in a big way like those in Europe and SE Asia. Differing ideologies, cultures, and expectations leave Americans too much in love with their cars to ever really give them up anytime soon.

The thing of the matter is that DLR doesn't have a parking or vehicle access problem. There are already very good interchanges from the 5 and every major surface street to both the M&F structure and the parking areas to the east. (Pumba/New parking structure and Toy Story) Getting people in cars to the resort area efficiently isn't really the major issue... it's a transportation problem to/from the parking structures to/from the parks.

By limits of space the parking structures have to be distant from the parks... far enough that most people don't want to walk and waste their energy that they want to save for the parks. (that already demand a huge amount of walking by their very nature) Add to that the massive crowd problems that many people using the same access routes creates.

What TDA needs to do to be looking forward and solving these problems now and for the future is to build the new eastern garage in Pumba, another south of M&F in Pinocchio, (and maybe even another at Toy Story just for CMs) then link them all, plus the resort hotels, to the Esplanade by a very high capacity unified transit system. This would ensure adequate parking for all future needs and eliminate the bottleneck created by the existing Toy Story buses and M&F tram.

The M&F tram is wasteful, expensive, smelly, and slow... but it beats walking... barely. But it can only handle about 150 passengers per train maximum. Given a maximum of 2 trains departing every 4 minutes, that's about 4,500 per hour... not enough given the long waits at the end of the day. Add in the new Pumba garage (or whatever they end up calling it) and the problem will become far worse. The Toy Story buses are not only slow, smelly, and contribute to traffic congestion, but very "unmagical" and make the whole resort look cheap. Walt would NEVER have stood for anything with such poor showmanship.

Surely there must be some kind of mass transit system they could use that could be elevated (or placed underground) so as to not interfere with existing traffic and buildings, doesn't create a noise nuisance, is cheap to operate and maintain in-house, reliable, and at the same time "looks Disney"... something that can handle at least 5k+ people per hour from each structure...

Hmmmm...
                          ---
                          Once Upon a Time, in Anaheim... Anaheim, California...

DLR 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2012 & 2013 with 2015 later this year...

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by RobertaME View Post
                            The thing of the matter is that DLR doesn't have a parking or vehicle access problem. There are already very good interchanges from the 5 and every major surface street to both the M&F structure and the parking areas to the east. (Pumba/New parking structure and Toy Story) Getting people in cars to the resort area efficiently isn't really the major issue... it's a transportation problem to/from the parking structures to/from the parks.
                            Anaheim has some of the worst traffic in southern California.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by RobertaME View Post

By limits of space the parking structures have to be distant from the parks... far enough that most people don't want to walk and waste their energy that they want to save for the parks. (that already demand a huge amount of walking by their very nature) Add to that the massive crowd problems that many people using the same access routes creates.

What TDA needs to do to be looking forward and solving these problems now and for the future is to build the new eastern garage in Pumba, another south of M&F in Pinocchio, (and maybe even another at Toy Story just for CMs) then link them all, plus the resort hotels, to the Esplanade by a very high capacity unified transit system. This would ensure adequate parking for all future needs and eliminate the bottleneck created by the existing Toy Story buses and M&F tram.

The M&F tram is wasteful, expensive, smelly, and slow... but it beats walking... barely. But it can only handle about 150 passengers per train maximum. Given a maximum of 2 trains departing every 4 minutes, that's about 4,500 per hour... not enough given the long waits at the end of the day. Add in the new Pumba garage (or whatever they end up calling it) and the problem will become far worse. The Toy Story buses are not only slow, smelly, and contribute to traffic congestion, but very "unmagical" and make the whole resort look cheap. Walt would NEVER have stood for anything with such poor showmanship.

Surely there must be some kind of mass transit system they could use that could be elevated (or placed underground) so as to not interfere with existing traffic and buildings, doesn't create a noise nuisance, is cheap to operate and maintain in-house, reliable, and at the same time "looks Disney"... something that can handle at least 5k+ people per hour from each structure...

Hmmmm...
                              What in the world is the point of driving a car to Disneyland if you have to park miles away and take some sort of transit system to get there?

Comment

• Donald1980
                                Disney is home
                                • Aug 2006

Looks like this thread has been derailed.

Comment

• Donald1980
                                  Disney is home
                                  • Aug 2006

I thought this thread was about the eastern gateway and if there were any updates to it. Not why trains are amazing and we should have more. I appreciate the information and the amount of research done, which shows it deserves its own thread. To which I think it already does have its own thread where a similar derail happened.

Comment

• PhotoMatt
                                    • Apr 2007

I have created another thread if anyone wishes to talk about transportation alternatives.

This thread should be dedicated to Disneyland and the Eastern Gateway only. I do understand that there is a gray area here, but please try to keep it somewhat focused on those two topics.

Thank you.

Comment

• PhotoMatt
                                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
                                      Looks like this thread has been derailed.
                                      *facepalm*

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
                                        I thought this thread was about the eastern gateway and if there were any updates to it. Not why trains are amazing and we should have more. I appreciate the information and the amount of research done, which shows it deserves its own thread. To which I think it already does have its own thread where a similar derail happened.
                                        The derailing, as you put it, happened when some members argued that trains, for one reason or another, are not, as I asserted, an appropriate response to the issue at hand.

Those arguments deserve to be refuted, but, unfortunately, many of the refutations I submitted have been moved or removed, while the following, for example, was allowed to remain:

The U.S., especially Southern California, are too much in love with the independence and status of cars to go mass transit in a big way like those in Europe and SE Asia. Differing ideologies, cultures, and expectations leave Americans too much in love with their cars to ever really give them up anytime soon.
                                        The evidence against this argument is copious, but, importantly, Disneyland Resort could bring tens of thousands of people onto the property by train tomorrow if the organization chose to do so. And, something is going to have to give because the existing automobile-dependent infrastructure will be unable to meet the increasing demand that is coming with the new expansion.

The traffic congestion and parking issues will only grow while people, like RobertaME, continue arguing against allowing people to have transportation options and for forcing everyone to drive to Disneyland.

Trains are, frankly, a no-brainer. They can get people onto Disney's property with just a few small additions to the schedule. And, expanding Metrolink service would certainly be useful, at least, as a stopgap measure.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X