Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

MiceChat Knott's Scary Farm Event

Tickets for MiceChat's annual Knott's Scary Farm meetup are now on sale. Event info can be found here - scaryfarm2017.eventzilla.net
2 of 3 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply.
3 of 3 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Mega Thread for D23 News

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    hopefully we get more info about marvel land at d23 japan in feb. but most likely not.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by MrMouse88 View Post
      hopefully we get more info about marvel land at d23 japan in feb. but most likely not.
      Considering they announced Mission Breakout at San Diego Comic Con, they have that opportunity too coming up in just a week.

      Something to remember about these Marvel changes, is that they're not meant to appeal to Disney fans. They're meant to appeal to Marvel Fans and convince them to make a trip to Disneyland that they wouldn't otherwise be making. In that regard there is a certain brilliance in taking Disney to the Marvel community, instead of the other way around.

      Comment


      • #78
        Suppose while I am here should offer some other opinions:

        Star Wars Whatever: The land sounds like the culmination of the play-testing they did in Frontierland and Adventureland and elsewhere. Obviously interaction at this level is the future of theme parks. No longer will people want to be just passive audience members taking in a "show" when they too can be part of it. It's pushing the boundaries of what theme parks are today, to ensure they still have a place in the future. It's really amazing to see that Disney is the one that is spearheading this advancement into a brave new world of themed entertainment when, as the leader in the theme park world, they could have just as easily kept plodding along with what they were already doing and coasted for years if not decades to come.

        What is incredibly interesting though, is that most of those interactive elements, appeal to a local audience of repeat visitors. That's a theme that was common in the announcements for Disneyland.

        Also interesting that Bob said Star Wars land would open at Disneyland first as though that was a purposeful decision. With Pandora open at WDW, there is less of a need for something new there, while all of the planning for the last five years at Disneyland has been reliant on this new experience opening at DL. I suppose the hope is to convince some folks to make the cross country trip to see the Disneyland version first. Since both are opening in 2019, I wonder if this will be a Spring/Fall gap separated by about six months.


        Pixar Pier: makes a lot of sense to keep re-enforcing the IP brands in DCA. This is the continuing plan that Iger laid out in 2007 to make the park more "Disney." They need more physical space to house all of their IP properties, and utilizing Paradise Pier to be the home of the Pixar Characters makes sense, as so many of them don't really fit anywhere else. Now they will have a home for the Incredibles and UP and some of the more contemporary Pixar movies that aren't really locked into a specific time period.

        Pixar Fest seems to be borrowing heavily from the marketing strategies in Tokyo. Constantly producing these seasonal promotions to drive local attendance and repeat visits. That would suggest they are still heavily reliant on Annual Passes. Which leads to...

        No Announcement on any future hotel development. Despite Disney applying for the subsidy check from the city of Anaheim, I still very much doubt they have any serious plans of building another hotel in Disneyland. What's really interesting is that Star Wars Boutique hotel concept would probably be one of the few ways that Disney could justify having another hotel in the area, but again with so many locals and such a high dependence on them for visitor traffic, how could the justify the extra cost of a $1000 a night hotel stay?




        Comment


        • #79
          Pixar Pier? So, that's the area from (approx) CA Screamin' around to Corn Dog Castle, right? Assuming they're going to leave the WoD themed to Mickey, what exactly do they plan to do to 'Pixar it up' other than retheme the eateries and the 4 attractions already there (GSS, SSS, JJ, and GZ)? I don't see much room for expansion (i.e. moving Monsters Inc or a new dark ride unless they decide to rip out Paradise Gardens. It's a lovely spot but I don't think it makes $$$$ for Disney and with the way they close and open it seasonally along with the menu changes based on events it may very well be on the chopping block.

          If PtN is moving to DCA, that leaves DL without a night parade. Now that may be on purpose to disperse the crowds that develop for the 3 nighttime events currently at DL (MSEP, F!, and Fireworks) vs the 1 currently at DCA (WoC). It'd give each park 2 night events, hopefully spreading the crowd between the 2 parks They'd need to time them pretty simultaneously to stop a mad rush from one to the other, though.

          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

            I would say yes, unless they do PPP at night (which seems unlikely).
            Sounds like it. Though supposedly this "Pixar Fest" is a limited time thing (i'm guessing a year, or two)...so perhaps a new daytime parade for DL could be sometime after this promotion? Only guessing, as Soundsational is kind of coming up on it's life-span. It's been running for like 7 years or so. But Pixar Play has been running awhile too.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

              Star Wars Galaxy's Edge...sound better than Star War Land
              Oh, absolutely. I never believed that Disney would ever end up calling the land Star Wars Land, but I used that name as a reasonable placeholder name (as others did, as well). I guess I'll have to get used to typing SWGE rather than SWL.
              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

                I understand your points, but consider this: SW:GE and then Star Tours way over in TL. Both are based on Star Wars, and they are in two separate locations. Also, consider BLAB and FNSV in TL at DL.
                And now I have a glimmer of hope that both will go away and leave poor Tomorrow Land alone. Yes, seriously. I think BLAB is kinda' fun, but it does not fit into the real theme of TL and it seems cheaply made. Not only does Finding Nemo not fit into TL, but it isn't all that great (I was over it after the first time I tried it) and has a pathetic hourly capacity. (I also feel that Star Tours really doesn't properly fit into TL and would like to see it move to SWGE, but that's part of a different discussion.)

                Before anyone comes back and tells me how daft I am for believing any of the above, please understand that I'm not going to make any further argument about this. I stated my perspective and that's all I wanted to do.
                Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by MrLiver View Post

                  Considering they announced Mission Breakout at San Diego Comic Con, they have that opportunity too coming up in just a week.

                  Something to remember about these Marvel changes, is that they're not meant to appeal to Disney fans. They're meant to appeal to Marvel Fans and convince them to make a trip to Disneyland that they wouldn't otherwise be making. In that regard there is a certain brilliance in taking Disney to the Marvel community, instead of the other way around.
                  I don't see that, at all. I think that you're underestimating the amount of overlap between Disney and Marvel fans - especially since Marvel is now widely known to be part of Disney. Yes, Marvel is a distinct sub-section of Disney's universe, but I think it will give Disney fans, in general, more reason to visit the parks. An analogy to what you stated would be if Disney opened a new Mickey Mouse-based attraction and only expected it to appeal to Mickey Mouse fans. If these new attractions are high-quality and a lot of fun, it doesn't matter much if they are based on Marvel characters.
                  Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    While WDW is getting the lion's share of the updates, its nice to see DCA getting some stuff too. The expected marvel land announcement is good, pixar pier isnt too surprsing.
                    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                    -Dr. Strange

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

                      Oh, absolutely. I never believed that Disney would ever end up calling the land Star Wars Land, but I used that name as a reasonable placeholder name (as others did, as well). I guess I'll have to get used to typing SWGE rather than SWL.
                      If Disney's intention was to have the name OTHER than Star Wars Land, they should have come out with their chosen name in the first place. "Star wars Land" as a "placeholder" actually weakens the final chosen name as EVERYONE now relates to it. Just as Disney management's declaration that no-one call "Disney's California Adventure" DCA. That didn't hold.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Wren View Post
                        ...pixar pier isnt too surprsing.
                        Really? I'm still shocked. Paradise Pier was the land that got the most reworking in the 2007-2012 reworking of the park. It was clearly the closest to being finished and was very successful. No idea why it's being changed. But then again, I still have no idea why Tower of Terror was changed.
                        Bob Chapek is colluding with Russia

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by DLFan1995 View Post

                          If Disney's intention was to have the name OTHER than Star Wars Land, they should have come out with their chosen name in the first place. "Star wars Land" as a "placeholder" actually weakens the final chosen name as EVERYONE now relates to it. Just as Disney management's declaration that no-one call "Disney's California Adventure" DCA. That didn't hold.
                          You're ignoring one key detail here: the name 'Star Wars Land' wasn't Disney's idea. It's something that we, the fans, made up for ease of conversation. Disney has always said that they would announce a name for the upcoming Star Wars experience, at some later date. Now they have announced it. They had no control over what other people called it, previously. I guess they could have announced the official name sooner, but maybe they wanted to keep it as a kind of alluring mystery.

                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

                            You're ignoring one key detail here: the name 'Star Wars Land' wasn't Disney's idea. It's something that we, the fans, made up for ease of conversation. Disney has always said that they would announce a name for the upcoming Star Wars experience, at some later date. Now they have announced it. They had no control over what other people called it, previously. I guess they could have announced the official name sooner, but maybe they wanted to keep it as a kind of alluring mystery.
                            Well, Disney's in-house code name for SWL was Delos. But that was never used outside of the company. What did Disney use as a "working title" for the public? if they went with the de facto fan name, then they essentially made it the common working name for the project, even if they were intending to change it at a future date.

                            Their "alluring mystery" title: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, may be their preferred title, but it's long, not an easy acronym and isn't as easy to remember. SWL will prevail even though there will be many who will go with the longer version.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by DLFan1995 View Post

                              Well, Disney's in-house code name for SWL was Delos. But that was never used outside of the company. What did Disney use as a "working title" for the public? if they went with the de facto fan name, then they essentially made it the common working name for the project, even if they were intending to change it at a future date.

                              Their "alluring mystery" title: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, may be their preferred title, but it's long, not an easy acronym and isn't as easy to remember. SWL will prevail even though there will be many who will go with the longer version.
                              If I were on the "naming team," I for sure would start with the sentence, "Let's go over to..." and then think of one that people might comfortably say. "Galaxy's Edge" is a mouthful. Lots of MCers had way better ideas. The people on the team should have been reading MC!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by DLFan1995 View Post

                                Well, Disney's in-house code name for SWL was Delos. But that was never used outside of the company. What did Disney use as a "working title" for the public? if they went with the de facto fan name, then they essentially made it the common working name for the project, even if they were intending to change it at a future date.

                                Their "alluring mystery" title: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, may be their preferred title, but it's long, not an easy acronym and isn't as easy to remember. SWL will prevail even though there will be many who will go with the longer version.
                                As far as I know, they never used any proper name for the land - be it Star Wars Land or anything else. They always referred to it as something like 'the upcoming Star Wars experience at Disneyland'. How do you consider it long? it's one word longer than 'New Orleans Square' and it's the same number of words as 'Finding Nemo's Undersea Voyage' or 'Adventure Through Inner Space'. Also, how is SWGE harder than SWL?

                                Like I said, its doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like 'Critter Country', but it's not like 'Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout'. A lot of people will undoubtedly just call it 'Star Wars Land', but I bet a lot will just call it 'Star Wars Galaxy' or 'Star Wars'. Even if Disney came up with an exceptional name for the Star Wars land, it wouldn't change what people call it. People still call the Disneyland Rail Road 'the train' and refer to 'Autopia' as 'the cars'. I've even heard quite a few people just refer to 'Star Tours' as 'Star Wars'.
                                Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X