Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

MiceChat Knott's Scary Farm Event

Tickets for MiceChat's annual Knott's Scary Farm meetup are now on sale. Event info can be found here - scaryfarm2017.eventzilla.net
2 of 3 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply.
3 of 3 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Fantasmic! opening night review!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Fantasmic! opening night review!

Spoilers!!!!

So as someone who remembers seeing the show in its opening season back when I was a kid, I have the show/music memorized, as I'm sure many of you do as well, so it was nice being surprised by the show again. I have to say they did a really good job of maintaining the original show, while knocking it into modern day technology and design. The first half of the show, in particular is really strong and quite gorgeous to look at. Especially with competition like WOC next door. The problem is that the new sequences, namely, The Genie (which replaces Pinocchio) and Pirates (which replaces Peter Pan), borrow too heavily from WOC. It's basically the exact same scenes but over the river. (It was nice however to see the Genie turn Mickey into Pinocchio on the mist screens. A nice nod to the original scene.) Also the (very brief) Lion King segment is identical to the scene from the 60th Fireworks. After 25 years, we shouldn't be seeing recycled ideas. They've had plenty of time to give the show original content. That being said, the new production does look great. The other changes include A Whole New World, which introduces the princesses. This was gorgeous to see and stays true to the original show. The new recordings of the music were a nice touch. And Repunzel, who replaces Snow White, finally gives us a permanent inclusion of I See The Light in a park attraction. Which even being a fan of the older movies, I admit was a great moment to bring to life. So the new show is visually incredible and I don't think I've ever felt the need to photograph the show before, but now it really is spectacular to see. My only other note would be that the musical transitions are not NEARLY as smooth as the original. But as we've seen with the original, I'm sure tweaks will happen over the course of the run. I'm slightly disappointed we don't have a return of the Ursula float or even the eels. That seems like an obvious wasted opportunity, as and the second half of the show is basically the same, except for a few projection/lighting additions. All in all I enjoyed it, although the finale seems a bit lacking in the fireworks department. Mostly lighting now. The original finale was definitely more dramatic, but hopefully that will be adjusted. All in all, I'm happy with it. Definitely glad to see so much nighttime entertainment back. Felt like the '90s again with Electrical and Fireworks running too.

I don't hate it at all, but I prefer the OG version. I think the inclusion of more projections and less firework effects is a bummer. I also think the new version doesn't quite flow as well as the OG did. It's still a lot of fun, but it's not better than the OG. At least for me.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X