Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FANTASMIC! 2.0 Reviews, Questions, and Concerns

Overall, I am a big fan of the upgrades made to our beloved Fantasmic! show.

However, am I the only one who intensely hates the PotC addition? It makes no sense to the overall narrative as the story is supposed to take place inside Mickey's animated imagination.

Also, Mickey's voice throughout the soundtrack sounds a bit off to me. Its a bit disorienting to me but doesn't take away too much from the overall show.

One of the the biggest upgrades for me was the addition of Lion King into the Jungle Book sequence and, even though it's a small thing, the fact that Murphy the dragon spits out fire as he's being defeated by Mickey was a nice touch.

What did you all think?

Haha I felt the same way about Mickey's Voice (It sounds like it is from Tokyo Disney Sea's Version)

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

Comment

I have only seen it on YouTube so far but I agree with you completely. Mickey with his little “huh’s” throughout isn’t needed. I really want Peter Pan back. And I’m not a fan of the new music. I know it’s more modern. Less 90’s synthesized but that cheesy style really grew on me.

Comment

I watched the show several times on YT, and overall, I really liked it! It certainly brings a lot more razzle-dazzle to the show. I was honestly surprised by how much i liked the new changes. The Genie scene is a good replacement for the lackluster Pinocchio section, and the updated music in Pink Elephants was really cool. I loved the small tweaks they made for a stronger storyline. The whole mirror scene was great, even though it meant taking away the Queen. I also LOVED the new Mickey animation during the Ursula segment, It really ties that reused movie footage to the show.

However, there were a few missteps for me. The new Fantasmic Theme has a new "harmony" blended in with the strong trumpet melody (hard to describe) that gives the song a less powerful feel. The pirates section was totally out of place. I think by re-dubbing Barbossa to say, "You best start believing in ghost stories, Mickey. You're in one" could help. The Magic carpet section was unnecessary for me and seemed to be there just to use the old Pinocchio mechanism. While the Tangled segment was nice, it felt less dramatic than SW because of the timing of the song. It should have come DIRECTLY after Ariel's "..ready to staaand" and swelled just like SW. Right now it just comes in too slowly and is less "epic". Who decided the dragon should rise in full view? The whole mood of the music serves as a big reveal of the dragon. Right now, its just too disjointed. Overall, I also dont like that they used animation, music and costumes from other shows. The mirror scene is lifted from DisneySea's Fantasmic, and so are the monkey costumes. The tangled music is also reused from WOC Holiday dreams. Hopefully they tweak things a little, but I still think it is a great show despite my complaints!

Comment

I have also only seen it on YouTube so far and I've really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see it in person! And I agree about the PotC scene. I love the action and the stunts but it just seems like it's not a fit.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicJunky2 View Post
            Also, Mickey's voice throughout the soundtrack sounds a bit off to me. Its a bit disorienting to me but doesn't take away too much from the overall show.
            Yeah, that was strange. Im fine with a "Wow!" now and then, but the "ahhh.." and other little things especially in the opening were like you said, disorienting.

Comment

I agree completely about the POTC scene, it doesn't flow well into the story at all. Everything in that show is animated related, and then all of a sudden...BOOM, we're forced into a drunken Jack Sparrow, only to be thrown right back into the animated storytelling about the Disney Princesses. The scene with Peter Pan was so much better and flowed exceptionally well into the next segment.

Which brings me to my next complaint...the removal of Snow White, and the Queen and her cauldron. Because once SW was done, you had the powerful scene of the Queen with her cauldron to summon up the other villains. It all flowed perfectly! By having just the "mirror on the wall" pop up makes no sense to me and seems very choppy and mismatched.

As for Mickey's voice throughout the show, I thought the concept was good, but you're right, it was disorienting at times and took away from what was going on in the show.

The only other issue I have is the exit music. I don't care for the slower pace score they use now. The up-tempo score previously used made you feel happy and excited about the show. Now the music feels like a downer to me.

Is Fantasmic! 2.0 a bad/horrible show? No, not at all. And for the newer generation, I suppose it's fine. But for someone like me who was there on opening night in 1992, I felt the show was epic! And nearly 25 years later, it was still a crowd favorite and a true testament on how amazing the original show was! So in my eyes, why fix something that's not broke? And if you're going to enhance/upgrade a show, at least make it just as good, if not better, than what we had. Unfortunately, I feel Disney fell flat by doing so with this new adaption.
              My Mood Depends On How You Treat Me

Comment

Did anyone else notice the new Beast costume? It looks fantastic! Which make me wonder, they could fabricate a new, highly detailed costume, but they couldn't correctly lip-sync the animation of the Magic Mirror?

Comment

I thought most of the added scenes were great. I love not knowing how Aladdin and Jasmine were flying, I loved the Lion King/Jungle Book mashup and I liked having Sorcerer Mickey in the show more (even if his grunts and exclamations were a bit much). Still, I found myself with mostly minor gripes about what the show turned out as, with one exception.

I think my biggest problem is that Mickey's new voice actor isn't Wayne Allwine (RIP). I found myself wishing that the parts of Fantasmic 2.0 that used the exact same lines as 1.0 had just used the old voiceover. The pyro and final effects seemed like they used better shells, but some timing was still off. Just to nitpick, I'm fairly certain they reduced the number of minor fireworks in the sorcery scenes.

Now, the exception.

Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't terrible, but it was pretty close. I had absolutely no clue what was happening, the voice acting was bad, and I just felt really disappointed. The lighting for this scene and the entire show looks technically good, but the mapping feels so poorly executed it just looks strange to me. I like the idea of having a Pirates of the Caribbean scene in the show, but Fantasmic just doesn't have the technology or wherewithal to make it work just yet.

I know how tight of a timetable everyone that worked on this show was on and I think everyone did the best with what they could. With the exception of Pirates of the Caribbean, I think the other parts of the show will just require me getting used to, but I'm excited to see how it will be plussed in the coming years just because there is so much room for improvement.

Comment

I really love this new version. I have minor quibbles here and there, but overall I'm in love with it.

I actually kind of enjoy the dragon rising in view, it's so menacing. Almost feels like your seeing her form into the dragon. The defeat is such an improvement, the way Mickey shoots pyro from hands, the fire belch before she is finished, great job!

I don't mind pirates, visually it's an improvement. I think the issue lies with the transition into it, and the dialogue. We don't need Barbossa to introduce it, it's jarring. Go from the ship scene crashing into water, into a cannon blast, and straight into the iconic music from the film.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                    ~

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post

Which brings me to my next complaint...the removal of Snow White, and the Queen and her cauldron. Because once SW was done, you had the powerful scene of the Queen with her cauldron to summon up the other villains. It all flowed perfectly! By having just the "mirror on the wall" pop up makes no sense to me and seems very choppy and mismatched.
                      Absolutely!

I think my biggest problem is that Mickey's new voice actor isn't Wayne Allwine (RIP). I found myself wishing that the parts of Fantasmic 2.0 that used the exact same lines as 1.0 had just used the old voiceover. The pyro and final effects seemed like they used better shells, but some timing was still off. Just to nitpick, I'm fairly certain they reduced the number of minor fireworks in the sorcery scenes.

​​​​​​
                      That's more of what I meant in terms of Mickey's voice throughout the soundtrack. While I didn't mind his little "huh's" I just could really tell that the voice was not the original. I wished the same in that they would have kept Wayne Allwine's original voice track.

Comment

I love the vibrant color of the new show and most of the new additions except the Pirates scene. Fantasmic is a word play of of Fantasia which is a celebration of ANIMATION not live movies!!! Please bring back the Peter Pan scene! Snow White should be brought back as well since that was Disney's first animated movie.
                        Galactic Member

Comment

I wonder if they took the time to reprogram Glow with the show/made with magic.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
                            I understand the (possible) reason for removing Snow White. Belle and the Beast, Eric and Ariel are couples we got to know on screen. Snow White's Prince is such a minor character, that he doesn't even have a name. Rapunzel and Flynn are the perfect replacement. And opening that segment with Jasmine and Aladdin was nice too.

Comment

I find the changes to be net neutral. Some of the changes are good. Others leave something to be desired. I thought the can-can worked well enough, but it wasn't very iconic and well received by everyone. Friend Like Me is better. I even wish it was longer. I preferred the original monkey dance music better, but the Lion King medley is well done and has a good beat. I like that they kept the Elephants on Parade music psychedelic but updated. The underwater segment was odd, but innocuous and a school of rays is always pretty. The Columbia looked really good as the Ghost Ship and I love Hanz Zimmer music. I know people are saying the action is hard to follow, but I know the first time I saw the Peter Pan segment it was also hard to follow. After all this years I now know what happening, but before it was just a bunch of moving far away chaos. The biggest problem is the ending. With Peter Pan it ends with Peter defeating Hook and then we get the happily ever after moment to close Act 1. Now it just ends and the happily ever after feels less deserved. I really don't like the vocals for the princess segment. Removing Snow White and the Evil Queen is obviously a mistake.

Seeing Murphy rise from the stage is a gaffe. Mal stretching up to the sky is supposed to be the start of her transformation. Then they hide her behind screens, show the rest of the transformation through video and then the screens drop revealing her fully transformed. Showing her stretch up to the sky and then see her rise from the stage doesn't make visual sense. I know they wanted it because it's dramatic, but they didn't want to loose her rising up into the sky because it is also dramatic. Having both is just weird. They should've chosen one or the other.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X