Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Mega dark ride

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Mega dark ride

Would you be for a 15-20 minute dark ride that had all of the dark rides, Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad and the rest (and some new ones) all rolled into one ride? I think that would be cool. And a big crowd eater.

Yes and it would end in a huge dark 50 foot tall room with Chernabog coming alive and you are down in the creepy village.

Comment

I could see it as a two story show building. Maybe in toon town with an eventual Fantasyland expansion. Move Peter Pan Snow White Pinocchio Mr Toad and Alice in Wonderland Winnie the Pooh Little mermaid. Add Lion King, Aladdin, Tangled, Big Hero 6.

Then of course the question becomes what goes into the old show buildings?

Comment

love the idea, maybe not touching the old stuff though. I thought that it was next to sacrilege to touch the old dark rides.

Comment

Originally posted by CalamityPoo View Post
          love the idea, maybe not touching the old stuff though. I thought that it was next to sacrilege to touch the old dark rides.
          I know it is but it could create space for other things without losing them. Just moving them. I love Peter Pan but I can’t justify standing in line for an hour for it. However if I got Peter Pan and all the other dark rides in an hour long line, gladly.

Comment

Where Peter Pan, Mr. toad and Alice in Wonderland are now you could put the new Mickey ride that is going in at WDW. On the other side where Snow White and Pinocchio is you could put in nice table service restaurant or another ride.

Comment

All the above and then it ends with a Tower of Terror drop.

Comment

Another thread inspired by mine?

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
                  This guy with his bright ideas and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post
                    Lol! I’m not trying to plagiarize you. Your post was more of a “what if” scenario. I think this is something that really could be done. And fairly cheap.

Comment

I don't fault you for "what if"ing, but I don't have the slightest interest in a super-size attraction.

Stories are best told when there is focus and clarity. They would not be served by some kind of All-Things-Disney-Under-One-Roof approach. Heck, if we're going that route, why don't we board the Disneyland Railroad at Main Street, sit on our arses and experience ALL the attractions in one big ride-by?

How would you create poetic and narrative connective tissue that would make sense of Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Mr Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Tangled, and Big Hero 6 living side-by-side?

Given the fact that different stories beg different aesthetic approaches; how do you create a sense of cohesion and continuity if you're jamming 11 stories into some kind of garage sale-like dark ride? What land does it live in? How on earth do you theme that show building?

And other than impatience with standing in line for individual attractions, what is the "problem" you are attempting to solve by jamming disparate stories into one gargantuan attraction?

Piling multiple dark rides into a "junk drawer" of attractions to free up real estate for "other things" sounds like a buffet approach to attractions, where quantity is prioritized over quality. Personally, I'd advocate for impeccably realized individual attractions, with thoughtfully detailed queues, and attention to story, character, relationships, and place than a MORE IS MORE approach.

Comment

Originally posted by emwhysee View Post
                        I don't fault you for "what if"ing, but I don't have the slightest interest in a super-size attraction.

Stories are best told when there is focus and clarity. They would not be served by some kind of All-Things-Disney-Under-One-Roof approach. Heck, if we're going that route, why don't we board the Disneyland Railroad at Main Street, sit on our arses and experience ALL the attractions in one big ride-by?

How would you create poetic and narrative connective tissue that would make sense of Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Mr Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Tangled, and Big Hero 6 living side-by-side?

Given the fact that different stories beg different aesthetic approaches; how do you create a sense of cohesion and continuity if you're jamming 11 stories into some kind of garage sale-like dark ride? What land does it live in? How on earth do you theme that show building?

And other than impatience with standing in line for individual attractions, what is the "problem" you are attempting to solve by jamming disparate stories into one gargantuan attraction?

Piling multiple dark rides into a "junk drawer" of attractions to free up real estate for "other things" sounds like a buffet approach to attractions, where quantity is prioritized over quality. Personally, I'd advocate for impeccably realized individual attractions, with thoughtfully detailed queues, and attention to story, character, relationships, and place than a MORE IS MORE approach.
                        So that’s a no for you? Lol!
                        im not saying jam them together like they’re intermixed. You go through the Peter Pan ride (just as it is now) then when it ends you go through the Snow White ride (just as it is now) and so on. What’s so fantastic about the theming of the queues for these rides now? Just a bunch of back and forth with a wall mural and some music. Waiting in line 45 minutes for Peter Pan isn’t a “problem” for me because I don’t do it. However if the line was 45 minutes to see all of the dark ride? Heck yes I’d wait in line for it. Just an idea that’s all.

Comment

I would have no problem with a mega-darkride, but I think Disneyland is the wrong place for it. Combining all of the Fantasyland dark rides would be a bit thematically confusing, and unless the ride used a people-eater system like the small world boats or a Carousel of Progress style rotating theater, you would substantially lose capacity. As far as a the Mickey Mouse attraction fitting in the 3 existing attractions as listed, there is simply not enough space. The Great Movie Ride in florida (where the new attraction is rumored to go) is housed in an enormous show building. I'm sure some people remember that a mega dark ride was planned for WestCot, which would have circled the entire park and had multiple board/unboard stations (I think). A third gate would be the perfect place to reinvent this concept with all new original material...

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post

So that’s a no for you? Lol!
                            im not saying jam them together like they’re intermixed. You go through the Peter Pan ride (just as it is now) then when it ends you go through the Snow White ride (just as it is now) and so on. What’s so fantastic about the theming of the queues for these rides now? Just a bunch of back and forth with a wall mural and some music. Waiting in line 45 minutes for Peter Pan isn’t a “problem” for me because I don’t do it. However if the line was 45 minutes to see all of the dark ride? Heck yes I’d wait in line for it. Just an idea that’s all.
                            Ha...Sorry...guess I could've eased into that, eh?

What it really comes down to for me is, why? My point isn't that the queues now are all exquisite, but rather, if you're proposing a mega ride, I'd argue INSTEAD for deploying those resources to upgrading individual attractions.

Sticking those stories together, just as they are now? To what end? Stories aren't meant to be consumed in "mega" doses, like clicking through channels on a remote.

An attraction of that scale would require transitions, some kind of connective tissue that makes sense of those stories being told together -- and I just can't imagine what that looks like if you're taking people on a journey from San Fransokyo to The Hundred Acre Wood and beyond.

There has to be intention and nuance, otherwise why have lands and themes or a PARK at all? Just house ALL of it in a big black box. But Disneyland is about a larger experience, where anticipation and reflection have the capacity to amplify the joy of an attraction. Those things are utterly obliterated if the minute you leave Wonderland you round the bend and find yourself reeling down the road with Mr. Toad. And what about the ride vehicles? Part of the enchantment of Peter Pan is the flying pirate ship!

Maybe I'm a minority in this, but for me, more isn't better, BETTER is better.

Comment

Not really into it. emwhysee makes a lot of good points already, but also want to add the added component of autonomy in this entire situation. Whenever I go to Disneyland, I usually skip Pinocchio because it simply doesn't interest me; point is, I like being able to choose which experiences I opt into in the order I'd like to do them in. Combining the dark rides into one giant dark ride dilutes the experience as a whole, and ends up being a situation where the sum is less than its parts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X