Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Buying land on Harbor BLVD.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Buying land on Harbor BLVD.

All of the hotels and restaurants alongside Disneyland (roughly 16 in total) on Harbor. What is the likelihood of Disney buying them up? Carousel Inn was aquired for 32 million dollars. If each of the other properties sold for that price that would be a little over 500 million dollars. I know some are worth more than that. Some are worth less. Some would hold out for a higher offer. But even over paying for these properties and spending a billion dollars wouldn’t be that risky for Disney to do considering what they could then do with the land. Is this a pipe dream or could this actually happen.

*none of this is rumor or in the works. RPaul

I don't think it's likely. As soon as any of the property owners get a whiff of Disney buying up property around them the minimum amount they'd consider selling for would skyrocket to an absurd amount because any plans of Disney would probably require their property giving them way too much leverage for Disney's liking. Disney would have to purchase the properties very slowly over years or decades through third parties. And then you're bound to run into a couple of property owner's who would refuse to sell. Just one of those could throw a wrench in all of Disney's plans.
    "In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Comment

Disney's best option for something like this would be for them to get the city to allow them to seize the properties for expansion under eminent domain.

The supreme court has ruled it is legal for a town to seize private property from one owner to give to a developer (for fair market value), so technically it is possible that if Disney came up with a exciting enough expansion plan for an area, the city could force the owners to sell for the good of the city.
      "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

I see you

I really don't know how likely it is, probably not at all, but I remember being at the Tomorrowland train station late at night years back and being able to see the neon signs of the hotels across the street and hear the police sirens whiz by and it's what made me realize that something really does need to be done with Harbor Blvd and its hotels.

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
        Disney's best option for something like this would be for them to get the city to allow them to seize the properties for expansion under eminent domain.

The supreme court has ruled it is legal for a town to seize private property from one owner to give to a developer (for fair market value), so technically it is possible that if Disney came up with a exciting enough expansion plan for an area, the city could force the owners to sell for the good of the city.
        As far as I'm concerned, this is theft, even if the government says otherwise.

Comment

I know that this is (terrifyingly) a real thing but if Disney were to ever do something like this I truly believe Disney fans would walk away by the millions. Disney is a gargantuan corporation that is all about making the money but they aren’t shady. (For the most part)

Comment

They’d have to get “Florida swamp land shell company” clever to do this without spending 3 billion dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post
              They’d have to get “Florida swamp land shell company” clever to do this without spending 3 billion dollars.
              I was just about to say, didnt they do WDW land buys on the sneaky with different companies that no one knew were actually Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post
                Not like that'd be a problem anyway...

I feel like we forget how much money Disney really has. Look at Tokyo Disney Sea and compare it to DCA. Just looking at the two parks, you'd think the Oriental Land Company would have way more money than Disney. But nope. Disney's just cheap.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2017-07-25 at 11.00.17 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	8526369

Comment

Except Disneyland is NOT public property. It's technically private. DL and DCA both charge money to visit the park, making it private.

Disneyland can of course, buy property on Harbor, but it would be major process. It would be serveral billions to just buy the whole area. And they can't buy out too many hotels to tear down, without adding more lodging. Otherwise, rooms would become limited, pricing would go up and attendance would go down for the resort.And Disney would STILL have to deal with pedistrian crossing over Harbor(and NO, Anaheim will not let Disneyland to simply close Harbor)

Finally, while Disneyland is one of the oldest and major businesses in Anaheim, there are still other businesses that have ALSO been running for decades as well(Hojo, for example). Anaheim can't play favorites with just Disneyland. Even if it is the major draw to the area, they also have to listen and serve the other businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by CalamityPoo View Post

I was just about to say, didnt they do WDW land buys on the sneaky with different companies that no one knew were actually Disney.
                    Yep! Walt was a genius! Paid $80 an acre for 27,000 acres. After they found out it was Disney buying up the land the land value (over night) went up 1000%!

Comment

What if Disney was able to buy up the land, tear down the hotels, construct new hotels that offer a better atmosphere for Harbor Blvd., and then rent out these newly built hotels to different companies to compete against each other? It'd solve the greatest problem with the area which is how unDisney-like all the hotels feel.

Back when Westcot was being planned, there was a sprucing up project of Harbor Blvd. I wonder if it contained any work on the hotels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	westcot1_harborblvd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	8526373

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, this is theft, even if the government says otherwise.[/QUOTE]

While I'd love to see Disney get all that property, I have to agree with RPaul. Besides, Disney has few friends on the Anaheim City Council right now, and even if they did, the ill will created by using eminent domain to seize the properties would be monumental. Using Shell companies to buy land would be the best bet, though keeping that secret with Disney being a public company would not last for long. It wouldn't surprise me though if Disney did in some way, shape or form own or control more properties than we know about, especially those apartment buildings that border the Toy Story lot. The only other option would be for some form of a land swap that would benefit all parties in the long run.

Comment

It would be to complicated to do. Even if Disney were to get the city council in its pocket and force a sale of all the properties, the public outcry and social media hurricane would be brutal. Its just not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                            ...the public outcry and social media hurricane would be brutal.
                            Do not underestimate Disney's internet presence. Where there's a shill, there's a way. And Disney has plenty of shill-power on forum sites and social media to silence and drown out any outcry of negative just as they did with Tower of Terror. Of course, unlike with Tower of Terror's change, the media will be much harder on it as it does effect other businesses and Disney cannot use the excuse "Walt wanted more Baby Groot in the parks."

Comment

Originally posted by RPaul View Post

Do not underestimate Disney's internet presence. Where there's a shill, there's a way. And Disney has plenty of shill-power on forum sites and social media to silence and drown out any outcry of negative just as they did with Tower of Terror. Of course, unlike with Tower of Terror's change, the media will be much harder on it as it does effect other businesses and Disney cannot use the excuse "Walt wanted more Baby Groot in the parks."
                              Man, you love that GOTGMB hate train soooooo much haha

I dont think that agreeing with a decision makes someone a shill though.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X